Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2015 Indy MotoGP advice ?

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

I found a few old threads on the topic of MotoGP at Indy. I am wondering if anyone has any fresh advice?
    My 17 year old son recently asked if we can go to MotoGP at Indy this year. I think it will be a good father/son trip. I am just starting to research the event. Comparing the cost of flying to the cost/time of driving. Trying to figure out where to sit, etc. I found a bunch of threads recommending Turn 9 Club, but the hype about the open bar is not a factor for me. I won't be drinking a bunch with my 17 year old son.

Anyone have any advice about flying/driving?
    Seating locations?
    If we fly, will we need a rental car, or is there any sort of public transportation from Airport-hotel-track? (figure it's worth asking...)
    Anything else we should focus on? For instance, are there optional pit passes, etc?
    Thanks !

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 2015 Indy MotoGP advice ?

Following closely. Big Shirl & I have been talking about this as a mutual anniversary gift for a few years now. This MAY be the year it happens...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Subscribed...definitely interested this year.

I went last year for the first time, we had general admission tickets for seating, and a 1 day pit pass.
    I flew in, the airport is about 30 minutes from the track and if I recall public transport/shuttle buses were limited to and from. You may get that service depending the hotel you stay at though.
    As for seating, I liked being able to walk around and get different view points, so I wouldn't pay the premium for specific seating. There's a long berm type hill on the back side near the golf course that I thought had the best viewing, unfortunately it's standing room only. The general admission grand stands are another great spot to visit, the ones on the front straight. If for anything, to experience the sound...which is awesome.
    Are you planning a multi day? If so, get the pit pass for the day prior to the actual race..less people and you're much more likely to interact with the riders. And if you're a bit creative, can actually have lunch with rider and crew (still not sure how we were able to pull that off, but we did)
    Bring what you can to eat and drink, it's probably the most overpriced vendors I have ever seen, and the food vendors were about the worst I have seen

Yamaha

My advice is:

Do it.
    Don't be in a rush to leave the track on Friday/Saturday. We missed a free autograph session with Rossi because we assumed nothing was going on and left.
    Definitely do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    My advice is:

Do it.
    Don't be in a rush to leave the track on Friday/Saturday. We missed a free autograph session with Rossi because we assumed nothing was going on and left.
    Definitely do it.
    Yes do it. And sit on the bleachers near the last few turns. I think you can see the last 5-6 turns and the whole straight from there. Lots of passinf happening there and wheelies in the end and all.

We did the road trip and it was a blast. If we were to go again id say road trip again.

Very good food and night life in indy. Walk around a lot. It's safe. Thousands of motoecycles around. They close roads and allow only motorcycle traffic in some cases.

Get to the track early the day of the race. Traffic gets bad the closer you get to the track.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    We did the road trip and it was a blast. If we were to go again id say road trip again.
    IF? I don't like "if."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    IF? I don't like "if."
    When we go again...

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    When we go again...
    Better.

I've gone a few years. Always drive - only 14hrs and I like having my own vehicle.. I've done corner 9, assigned seating (penthouse B I think) and gen admin. I've had pit passes, was a special guest with garage access, track lap, VIP motorcycle parking - you name it...

My advice....
    Drive, gen admin, parking pass & pit pass for at least a day if you want that.

I can't wait for this year! I had my hotel booked in December 2015 Indy MotoGP advice ?

If you ain't first......you're last!

We've gone several years with reservations in place for this year,we ride the bikes out. We sit at the last turn in Grandstand H you can see everything from turn 10 out onto the front straight plus there is a jumbo-tron to see the rest of the action. Also if you have reserved seating you can still go and watch from any of the infield areas other than another grandstand. If your in a car on the streets just west of the track across Georgetown Rd there are houses and other lots that have parking for close to the same amount as the track without the masses. Also if you go downtown on Friday and Saturday night they do Motorcycles on Meridian St which gets very crowded and almost a Weirs Beach type atmosphere.

Gordo...did you say 17 year old son? Where did that come from?????? Has it been that long?

Be good buddy.

G-man

Gerard

Heres my advise, I have gone every year and I drive and camp @ the track lot . Bring the bike and ride into the city for the nite at Meridan and the flat track races . You can ride a lap on the track . During Fri and Sat you can roam the track and sit anywhere you like . On race day its where you purchased your ticket . I have sat in the grandstand and penthouse grandstand on the main str8 on turn 1 . Nice seats but my favorite is the SW Vista in the Hayden Section . Where ever you get a seat get it high up so to see the track well . The lot is a fun place not to crazy for a kid at all . Something to remember . Some pictures from last years MotoGP from my seat

Also you can go to the Museum / Here is a view from my seatin the SW Vista a few years back , I still have the same seat turns 2,3,4 are just a bit different

Grass berm between turn 9 & 10 running down the back str8 is cool esp 10 a left hander / this is a pic right after T9 running down the back str8

and of course the famous bricks

Good Times !

Last edited by waveman; 04-18-15 at 06:43 PM.

Just a cpl more heres a grandstand view not the penthouse / I have tons of pics sorry , just to give you an idea . These pics were not taken with a real expensive digi cam BTW

In.
    NESR dinner Saturday night?

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Awesome!

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Nice I am here as well good times

Who is that wannabe in the Yamaha jacket next to the NESRian?

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

What an EPIC weekend for my son and I. We had a great two day drive out, stopping at some random points of interest he wanted to see. I can't thank "averagejoe" (Ron) enough for hooking me up with an awesome ticket package and some perfect advice. Most of you won't care about the details, but I know a few people want to hear about the trip so here are a few hilights:
    - Spent Friday watching practice from many different spots around the track. Bought the usual assortment of MotoGP and MotoAmerica swag.
    - Watched more practice on Saturday, then went to meet some racers. My son Gary is a huge Nicky Haden fan, always has been. We went to the Haden tent and bought a bunch of stuff. Most of their T-shirts already had Nicky's autograph on them. Gary asked for one without an autograph. I said WHAT? He said he wanted to get it autographed in person. I thought that was a bad idea, as the huge crowds will make that a slim chance. Well, by mid day Saturday Gary had his autograph on the shirt, and I have a great picture of the two of them together. Then, during the pit walk Saturday evening, Gary went straight for the Haden garage. Door was closed most of the way. Big crowd by the Repsol and VR garages, as they were open and a lot of activity in them. I kept trying to get Gary to give up on the Haden garage, but he stood there for a good 20 minutes, hoping. Then, the door opens and Nicky walks out and walks over to Gary and I, the only two people near his garage. He offers to sign Gary's shirt, but Gary laughs and point to where he has signed it a few hours earlier. Nicky laughed. I got him to sign the Haden book, which I had Earl Haden sign earlier in the day. Then off he goes back into the garage. It was really cool.
    - I had purchased a MotoAmerica shirt, so I went through the pits during their open time and got most all the MotoAmerica racers to sign it. I've got to tell you, some are really friendly and cool, and some are not. I won't mention any names, but JH is on the not-too-happy side of the fence. On the other end of the spectrum is Benny. That kid is wicked friendly and talkative. Then as I was walking out I ran into Wayne Rainy in the tech inspection tent, who was talking to an official. I kept a few steps back and tried to not be intrusive, but stood there with my shirt and marker and my best "please" smile. I could tell he wanted to wrap up the conversation, and I thought I was going to get to talk to him, but then some other jerk walking by butted in and got right in his face and interrupted his conversation, so off Wayne and the official went into a private area. I wanted to smack the guy.
    - In my opinion, the best race of the weekend by far was the Moto2 race. Friggin awesome to watch.
    - AverageJoe : I gave the extra pit walk passes to a nice quiet young couple who were in the mile-long "no voucher" line. It took them about 10 minutes to realize I wasn't trying to scam them, just giving them a pair of free passes. They were just about in tears when they came over to thank me. Thanks for letting me do that, it was fun.
    - I was shocked by how well organized everything was. For huge crowds, there was no waiting for anything. The MotoGP staff and the Indy track staff are GOOD.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Glad you had a good time.
    Indy GP is awesome and Indy as a city is beautiful and fun.