Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yamaha Super Tenere here?

Yamaha Super Tenere here?

Anyone actually ride or own one?

What are you opinions on the bike? I see Ken C's posts form on road and trails all the time with his triumph and I'm having serious ADV envy.

I've been looking around and there are some deals to be had, but the local dealer here wont allow test rides. (Even after chatting about trading in a '10 vfr1200 and '08 FZ6 and using the equity towards the new bike.)

I've narrowed my search to an MY-2014 with the Electronic suspension adjustment and factory cruise control.

Looking for this bike for a lot of 2-up riding, and venturing on to some dirt roads, but would also like to finally do some long distance touring with it.

Would love a new bmw GSA but I can't justify the cost. (unless I hit the lotto tomorrow than that's a different story)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Yamaha Super Tenere here?

I have some seat time. Spent some time seriously considering one. Solid bike. Ton of bang/buck. You could get 13 or 14 leftovers for next to nothing for a while. Friend rides the wheels off one; never let her down and she's in love with it. Smooth shaft drive. Nice tubeless spoked wheels. Pretty good power.
    Overall I am not really enthusiastic about it. Heavy as hell. Engine is kind of tractorish; makes clunky mechanical noises instead of awesome vroom vroomy motorcycle noises. Big muffler that does a great job at keeping the bike from sounding like a bike. Not impressed with the instrumentation.

The weight is the real problem for me. Great tourer, I'm sure.

I liked the Tiger 800 (what Ken rides) better.

I hear the ES suspension system is pretty nifty. I have no experience with that.

If I were single and only solo I would have liked the 800. And he 1050 is freaking awesome. But a little rich for my blood.

I cross-shopped this before I bought my Triumph Explorer. I wasn't allowed to test ride one but ultimately I remember the ergonomics not fitting me quite as nicely as the Triumph. I consider my riding to align more in the sport-touring category (no dirt) so the weight isn't an issue for me. I don't think I could buy another street bike without cruise control. I did bring my girl along to sit and test ride bikes with me...her opinion on the heated seats probably helped sway my decision as well.

oh, I bought my Triumph used with 2k miles on it and a year left on the warranty. It came with barkbusters, factory fog lights, factory skid plate, factory panniers, factory crash bars, and heated grips/seats. All features I enjoy.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 11-15-16 at 09:45 PM.

There's a long-term test on Rider. They don't like the fueling: apparently when you cut throttle the injectors shut off and You get sudden decel. They had a custom tune done that made it more rideable, while noting it would not pass CA emissions that way.

Not sure what the tune cost.

If you prize reliability on your ADV bike above all else, the S10 is the way to go, it's a workhorse.

And FWIW, you should test ride a GSA before you knock it because of cost alone. Second Wind does test rides on almost all their bikes. If a bike speaks to you and pulls at your heart strings and emotions, why pass it up because of cost, only to settle on something soulless? I never for a second thought I'd drop $18000 on a bike, but my Super Adventure called my name, and its easily the best bike I have ever swung a leg over. I have a big stupid smile from ear to ear plastered on my face every time I get on it, and I laugh like a giddy little child whenever I go over a roller and loft the front wheel in 4th. I've owned it for 7 months and have already put 8000 miles on it, it's just so fun. No regrets whatsoever.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 11-16-16 at 09:15 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

as for the exaust tone, there is an arrow mid pipe and any of the aftermarket cans will mate up. the 270 degree crank gives it a cool tone. so add PC and I would be all set.

I would have zero problems with finding a low mileage demo or used 1050 tiger but haven't seen one lately

Since I would be taking out a small loan on this bike, I've never had a payment more than $120 for a motorcycle, And I just brought and remodeled a house this year, so there is no way in shit a 20k bike could sneak in past the wife.
    But a full boat newer used GSA used, has so many miles on it that I don't want spend 15K on a bike with 30K on it. And that's when the other ADV bikes start to seem a better value.

Also SRT, your old bike came from CT right, though the hands of a few bornies right. I mouse trapped the shit out of a big whoolie one day with that thing :-)

Also the realibuty thing is huge, and I have zero desire or skills to tackle anything more than basic manintence like Oil/tires

Last edited by jhawley; 11-16-16 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Also SRT, your old bike came from CT right, though the hands of a few bornies right. I mouse trapped the shit out of a big whoolie one day with that thing :-)
    Yes, the TL came from CT and was passed around like a cheap whore. It was definitely showing its age in the electronics and suspension department, but that engine was solid as a rock. And it was still terrifying to ride, I thought I was going to die several times in NC on the Tail and 28.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

You can get a "hex head" GS for well under $10k nowadays. Guy I work with did exactly that this summer. Mint-ish bike with a shit-ton of aftermarket goodies. He was sure he got the deal of the century until we found 3 more just like it on CL over the next couple months.

Here's one under $10k @ National just to drive the point home : 2009 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE W/ABS - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120.

Newer S10 for the same money : 2012 YAMAHA XTZ1200 SUPER TENERE W/ABS - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120

Tigert 1050 : 2010 TRIUMPH TIGER 1050 W/ABS - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I cross-shopped this before I bought my Triumph Explorer. I wasn't allowed to test ride one but ultimately I remember the ergonomics not fitting me quite as nicely as the Triumph. I consider my riding to align more in the sport-touring category (no dirt) so the weight isn't an issue for me. I don't think I could buy another street bike without cruise control. I did bring my girl along to sit and test ride bikes with me...her opinion on the heated seats probably helped sway my decision as well.

oh, I bought my Triumph used with 2k miles on it and a year left on the warranty. It came with barkbusters, factory fog lights, factory skid plate, factory panniers, factory crash bars, and heated grips/seats. All features I enjoy.
    JHawley, FWIW, OneCheekRider came from a FZ6 before his Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    JHawley, FWIW, OneCheekRider came from a FZ6 before his Explorer
    Still have an FZ6...in Boston no less. Anyone want it? haha

[QUOTE=nhbubba;1478115]You can get a "hex head" GS for well under $10k nowadays. Guy I work with did exactly that this summer. Mint-ish bike with a shit-ton of aftermarket goodies. He was sure he got the deal of the century until we found 3 more just like it on CL over the next couple months.

Here's one under $10k @ National just to drive the point home : 2009 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE W/ABS - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120.
    I just don't want to pay "BMW tax" beside I have a '10 with 32K on it, I refuse to get something older and with more miles on it out of spite.

Newer S10 for the same money : 2012 YAMAHA XTZ1200 SUPER TENERE W/ABS - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120 Now were talking, but 2014 was the year of a bunch of updates. and I have a hard-on for ESA

Tigert 1050 : 2010 TRIUMPH TIGER 1050 W/ABS - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120[/QUOTEI'd tired hard to t like these but they are more hideous than my grande VFR]

Check out some used Tiger Explorers:

2013 Triumph 1200 Explorer - The GS alternative Well shit now were talking!

Want less miles?
    2013 Triumph Tiger ABS Explorer XC - Give us a Call
    Oh my wife is going to hate me... but I can tell her that its 3-4K less than the S10 or Goldwing bagger that I'm eyeing.

Still have an FZ6...in Boston no less. Anyone want it? haha
    want my 2008 FZ with 15K lol

Also Matt sent me a link to a faily new super low mileage V-strom 1K 2014 that is way less than my budget that I wanted to spend.

Last edited by jhawley; 11-18-16 at 08:50 AM.

Fuck a Vee.

Get the explorer or a s10. Or the wing if it has reverse.
    Just make sure the wing is bedazzled with all the lights. That's the only way.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Tiger 1050 has chain drive and 17" front and is much lighter. Even with optional ABS they sell private sale for under $7K.

A Tiger 1050 is not an adventure bike, it's a sport tourer through and through.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

If I were single and only solo I would have liked the 800. And he 1050 is freaking awesome. But a little rich for my blood.
    I've seen many Tiger 1050s for sale less than $6000 with less than 10k miles. They don't seem to be super in demand so prices aren't too bad. Great bike for touring and still pretty sporty.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

yeah the tiger is hideous. It would be the explorer if I can go that route.

If you got the cash the tiger 800 is the best all around

HOWEVER

Most big ADV are TALL and Heavy and S10 is like farm equipment just look at the weight 580 pounds
    try picking it up out of a mud puddle ???? and beemers are worse

Now take you shiny new bike and head down a questionable dirt roads etc. and trash it

IF OF you really want adventuring with your adventure bike then dirt needs to be part of the thinking

so

Buy a used VSTROM 650 for like 3500 wet weight 520 still a lot but better, and when you drop it on a rock you say

MEH

It has sufficient power for 2 up and luggage go anywhere AND a great community

You know they great as they banned me for life

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I kept thinking "WTF is an S10 ??"

...I get it tho

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I ride a 600 lbs muscle bike that happens to have luggage. If I were single the 800 would be awesome. But 2up with luggage and a wife I want the power.

I'm not sure where the notion that an 800 triple doesn't have the power comes from. That's interesting.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I ride a 600 lbs muscle bike that happens to have luggage. If I were single the 800 would be awesome. But 2up with luggage and a wife I want the power.
    If a Tiger 800 doesn't have enough power, an S10 is going to disappoint you.

Tiger 800 - 95HP @ 480lb = 0.2HP/lb
    Super Tenere - 110HP @ 575lb = 0.19HP/lb

My buddy has a Tiger 800 XCA, and it's plenty fast. If power is what you want and you don't mind sport tourer, look at the FJ09 instead...if it's straight ADV, you might want to look into an AT or if you want really nutzo, 1190A/1290SA.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 11-28-16 at 09:01 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I'm currently drunk on power with the VFR1200
    Mine is putting 149 hp and over 80 lb ft to the wheel. It makes 2up backroad passing comically easy.

I go to the baby tiger I'm losing 30 lb ft.

Doesn't matter what you lose, it matters what power to weight is. Given that, yeah you are gonna lose some grunt.

149HP @ 600lb = 0.25 HP/lb

The only way you're gonna get that in an adventure bike is via a boutique brand, ala KTM or Ducati. The Explorer is not gonna give you that, and nothing from BMW has that. So you're looking at a KTM 1190/1290 or a Multistrada Enduro.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast