Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

2018 Gold Wing has been announced

Re: 2018 Gold Wing has been announced

Now I don't feel so bad about my learning curve with my Street Glide's electronics!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

As much as I think the new Goldwing is a really great bike, and I have ridden one, there is something appealing about the complete simplicity of my 2017 CB1100.

Air cooled inline 4, 6 speeds, 2 wheels, 1 chain, twist and go.

I swapped out the front brake pads and cleaned both calipers in about 30 minutes yesterday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This time with the right vidjayoh.

Still me being a pussy, just with the proper description.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great to meet you finally!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Great to meet you finally!
    Indeed. Nice to meet you as well!!

Lifer

Dude. You should get a track bike.

Let's get clayton back into debt !!

Congrats man, and you were dessert mvp this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Dude. You should get a track bike.
    The thought has crossed my mind.
    I was actually thinking about how "full circle" this was while I was at Palmer yesterday.
    I just kinda needed to shake my head and move on.

Lifer

How was it? Palmer is pretty sweet eh?! Now we have to get you out to NYST.
    I've not done palmer wrong way round like that. Wierd how samesies it looks.

Palmer was very "flowy" (my only comparison is NHMS, which isn't flowy).
    It's also weird, because no matter where you are on the track, the only thing you can see is that part of the track.
    Not having been on a track for so long, this lead to me feeling kinda "lost" and not knowing what was coming up next (not to mention that I had to think about the corner number backwards, which just made my brain hurt).
    There were plenty of markers on the track so that I could find my way around, but I never completely knew what to expect next.

If I just pick a random point in the video, today, unless it's 14, 13, 12 (which is pretty distinct) I can't tell you what turn I'm in.

The real goal, however, was to increase comfort with the new bike, which happened.

That is my favorite direction of Palmer. It flows and it’s fast.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    It's also weird, because no matter where you are on the track, the only thing you can see is that part of the track.
    Nonsense! I don't know what you are talking about. There are a couple places where you can cozy up to the wall and see at least three layers of track below you..

2018 Gold Wing has been announced-img_0568-jpg

Nonsense! I don't know what you are talking about. There are a couple places where you can cozy up to the wall and see at least three layers of track below you..

2018 Gold Wing has been announced-img_0568-jpg
    I literally have no fucking idea what parts of the track this shows.
    I could look at the map and provide some guesses, but that's not the point.

I bailed on the last couple sessions. I started focusing more on how other people were riding than on how I was riding.
    Rather than make some sort of dumb mistake I chose to call it a day.

Doing more laps certainly would have helped. As it was I'm lost on the track.
    One of the people in my group had a tip over a little in front of me. I couldn't for my life tell you what turn it was in.
    That's just so foreign to me.

Lifer

Yeah, I kind of hear you. It's been > a year and now I can't really remember the turn numbers either. As I say, I've never run it wrong way. I imagine having the numbers bass-ackwards is double hard. A lot of the place does look a lot alike. You are not imagining that. It's tough on a little bike. I once rode it on the DRZ.. which was an exercise in never being able to execute a pass.

You have to love the elevation change though. Super duper fun.

How was the bike?

Quick feedback on oncoming Goldwings at night. I was stopped at a T intersection tonight, checked left, checked right and saw two headlights and two amber turn signals to my right, appeared to be far away. Checked left; clear, checked back right as I started to pull out and a Goldwing was 100 feet away. I stopped before I really cleared the stop line and there was no drama, but here’s my take away:

The dual headlights and amber marker lights look like a car that’s several hundred yards away, not a bike that’s a couple hundred feet away. It was completely dark with no street lights. I have 15/20 vision with no color blindness.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Yeah, I kind of hear you. It's been > a year and now I can't really remember the turn numbers either. As I say, I've never run it wrong way. I imagine having the numbers bass-ackwards is double hard. A lot of the place does look a lot alike. You are not imagining that. It's tough on a little bike. I once rode it on the DRZ.. which was an exercise in never being able to execute a pass.

You have to love the elevation change though. Super duper fun.

How was the bike?
    My criticisms are more about me than the track specifically.
    Elevation changes are amazing.
    There's a nice mixture of turns (although I can't tell you where) varying from double apex to almost sweepers and opportunities to take turns at various speeds.

The bike was pretty incredible. I mean It still has lean angle limitations, but it's a goldwing. It's to be expected.
    I spent the day in Sport (mostly, there were a couple sessions where I forgot and started the session in Tour, when I rolled on the throttle out of some high numbered turn and was like WTF? I'd realized that I was in tour and switch to sport. It's 1 click, roll off the throttle and you're in).

I also spent the day in Auto. Never once did I switch to Manual or click the shifters. The bike did all of the shifting. This wasn't really intentional, but there was enough other stuff to focus on that I just didn't add manually shifting to the list of things I wanted to gain comfort on. When I first started riding the bike it was really uncomfortable to me to have the bike shift "mid corner". We're taught not to do that. Having ridden a few miles with it I've just come to accept it. It isn't jarring. It isn't upsetting. There's a noise change. It's actually a smoother shift in Sport than in Tour, as the bike keeps the RPMs higher in sport, so you never have a case where the bike needs to grab 2 gears to make a pass (like on the highway). Other than user error on not setting the right driving mode there were no complaints about the shifting. I have no idea what gear I was in for any of the turns (of course I don't know what turn I was in either) and had no need to care (there is an indicator on the dash that tells what gear I'm in, I just never looked at it). It did shift mid corner. I just paid no attention. I should also mention that the shifter thingies are placed much more "appropriately" if you are holding the grips "baseball bat" style rather than "pencil" style. I don't know how I would fix this (but this also isn't built as a track weapon, so...).

The brakes. Jesus. So, while riding on the street there has, under "hard" braking, been a noise from the brakes. It's not necessarily a bad noise, and it changes depending (I think) on the speed of the bike. Others have posted about this noise as well, so I haven't really worried about it, but it has also caused me to be a little tentative with the brakes. That's changed. The thing can stop like nobody's business. The following day we were 2 up and I was a little late in recognizing a turn. I nearly threw wifey over the windshield. Had I not been in the way I'm pretty sure she would have flown. That was at like 60%. I'm pretty sure there's a foot lever that does something with brakes as well. Haven't really used it. I should try it sometime.

I'm still struggling with throttle control right around neutral throttle. It just seems like there is something happening there that shouldn't. The "common" response to this on the GL boards is https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Co.../dp/B00CP9ADD8 . I don't know... I did finally have the opportunity to find the throttle stop. As far as the throttle response overall, I'm only kinda luke warm about it. It's only marginally better than the previous generation wing, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's more than should ever be needed for a "touring bike", but I was much closer to the "edge" of things on the street than I had thought (or maybe than I had hoped).

Prior to Monday something like 95% of my riding on this has been 2up. I'd been pretty hesitant to really push the limits in turns to see what it was capable of. I tend to scrape my boots just before the pegs, just because of how I place my feet on the pegs, but limits on both sides were found. It certainly feels like the bike is capable of carrying more speed through the corners than the old one was. In NHMS T6, for example, when you're compressing the fuck out of the suspension I was almost always scraping, like considerably. There's not an equivalent to that at Palmer, but T7 (I had to watch video and look at a map to figure that out) is kinda at the bottom of 2 hills, which would lead me to believe that's going to be the turn with the "lowest clearance" and I don't feel like it was any more of an issue than any other turn. I feel like it's still a little undersprung for me. If I'm going to address that I'm just going to swap out the shocks entirely as long as I'm in there. I also got to get back to my "get off the bike, hold the outside bar until it's time, let the bike fall into the turn" thing that I did on the old one. Because of the way the new one handles I hadn't had to do that on the street yet. Just pushing the inside bar had given me everything I needed.

Mine came with Bridgestones from the factory (Dunlops are also a factory option). Neither of those are my first pick, however, the tires performed admirably. Things were not "significantly" goobered up. Less goobery than I had every had on the old GL. I don't know if that's because the suspension characteristics were actually better, or because I was a pussy. At no time did I feel any sort of "vagueness" in the suspension or in traction. I was really hoping to push things far enough to get the ABS and the Traction control lights to come on, but I don't think I did either (of course I wasn't really watching the dash, but I never felt anything that would indicate it happened either).

There also might be a "clunk" in the front suspension. It seems like when I roll on hard, then roll off, right before I'm at neutral throttle there's a small "clunk". I can't hear it, but I can feel it in the bars, sometimes. Not every time. I'm just going to have to keep and eye on this.

Other than the throttle issue (which is clearly a ham fisted operator problem), I'm extraordinarily pleased with the performance of the bike. I would have liked more of a "wow, this thing is fast" sort of acceleration, but that's not really its purpose.

Lifer

Going CCW there is a down-hill left hander that goes forever and ever and ever with a way, way late 2nd apex. (I think it is T7, I don't remember the numbers either.) That turn is vaguely like NHMS 6-7 to my eye. But that's CCW.

Good deal on the bike. I still don't know if I'm with you on the auto-tragic transmission. Shifting mid-corner?! Oh hell no!
    But if it scratches your itch.

I feel like brakes are often a strong suit of "touring" bikes. Even my gawdawful SAE clad pile of american pig-iron has shockingly strong brakes. Arguably some of the best I've ever had on a bike. The hardware is definitely better than most of what I've ridden in the past.. which isn't saying much. I was pretty impressed with the brakes on your old GL as well.

I'm kind of jealous now. I kind of want to/don't want to get my hefty slab eater out on a track. I just know that would end poorly though. I bought the thing to slow down and that sometimes happens. Part of me isn't really interested in knowing how far you can push those oversized touring tires. Ignorance is sometimes bliss.

Someday we'll have to pit near each other again. Someday.

2018 Gold Wing has been announced-2020_09-07_nsb_palmer_yelgp_325-jpg

If you're fat and hanging off through 7 CCW, you definitely know when you're at the bottom.
    The effect isn't the same CW.

I'm certainly fat.
    I rode CW.

In other news, basically 100ft-lb almost just over idle.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bik...o-test-review/

Horsepower is pretty shitty.

Lifer

When I move to CO this is on my list!

Amazaballs ride today with wifey.
    2018 Gold Wing has been announced-sept27-jpg

I was low on fuel when we left the house. Confuser claimed something like 60 miles to empty. Fuel light went on probably in Alton so I stopped for fuel with like 30 miles left.
    After that we did 142 miles without a break.
    We got stuck behind some slow movers on the Kanc, but that was kinda expected. Otherwise it was actually pretty free.
    Moving the trunk back 1.5" has evidently solved the wife's knee problems. I ask about her knees every time we ride and no complaints since moving the trunk.
    I've replaced the "factory" seat with a Honda Custom Seat (http://shop.powersports.honda.com/p/custom-seat) that I bought used for a pretty decent discount used. Reviews of this seat were pretty poor, but my real goal was just to have something to use so that I could rebuild the factory seat. I'm planning on using the factory pan and heaters (and a little of the foam) to rebuild a seat that is 1.5" longer and is better for wifey. As long as I'm in there I'll probably soften the middle of the rider seat as well, but I don't really dislike it. A lot of people feel like they need to be moved up or lowered, or moved back from the bars. I'm actually pretty happy with where I sit on the bike. If anything I would move to put the pegs a little more under me, which absolutely no one else asks for so I'm clearly an idiot.
    Since the inclusion of Android Auto I really haven't used any of the inbuilt nav stuff. I have to be pretty specific with the steps to get AA to launch reliably, but it's really all I use now. I did finally figure out how to program the radio presets last week. Don't use it at all.
    Passing pattern. One clicky down on the left thumb just before the turn signal. Twist the throttle. The confuser might decide to do another downshift, if so fine, if not fine.
    Pictahs never do justice to the colors, but some wifey snapped from the back seat.
    2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191719874-jpg2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191716737-jpg2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191715816-jpg2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191713386-jpg2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191710463-jpg2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191709041-mp-jpg2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191705528-jpg2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191723815-jpg2018 Gold Wing has been announced-pxl_20200927_191722663-jpg

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great post Jason. You probably passed me cycling on the Kanc.
    Glad you've been out on the new 'wing!

So I'm not putting it up, but today was probably the last "big ride" of the year.

Wifey had today off, so I took it off as well. We'd planned to leave Saturday morning then spend a night in Barre, then a night in Littleton, with a bunch of random roads in between.
    She's ridden more with me this year (definitely as a percentage, and probably as a gross number) than any year before.
    We've found she doesn't really do well when temperatures are less than about 50.
    This is of course solvable with additional clothing, especially if we decided to add electrics (I already have a heated jacket liner, gloves, and some heated insoles, she lacks any heated gear).

Saturday was amazing. Weather was great. We found an very awkward almost 200 mile path from the house to Barre VT. Stayed in a pretty cool converted firehouse. Wonderful day.
    I should point out, her gear does have liners, just not electrics. We'd installed them before leaving the house Saturday morning. We also packed rain gear for both of us (my preference would be not to pack it... It takes up almost an entire saddlebag... She's complaining about space for packing... I need to get a trunk rack...). This will be important later. One of the teachers at her work went to school in Montpelier and had talked to her about how great of a road VT-12 was. We took VT-14 into Barre and she wanted to make sure that we did 12. Fine, it actually wasn't a big iss ure to re-plan my route (I've also been experimenting with Kurviger and the inbuilt nav system, maybe another post on that).

We wake up Sunday morning and pack up the bike. She's already shaking by the time we start moving. Shortly after we're rolling she asks what the temperature is. It's 43 when I look at the little gauge. We run 30ish miles of VT-12 and I pull in to get fuel. She's frozen. (I told her before we left about the seat heater, she has it on max and has had it at least on since we left). I zipped up the front vents on my jacket. Still no liners and I didn't even bring my heated gear. I throw all the plans in the garbage and rip up I89 for a few miles, hop off and head east on 302 for the run. There's a stop at a Dunks somewhere along the way to warm up a bit. At the dunks stop I zip up my back vents on the jacket. We spent the day wandering around Littleton. It was fine.

This morning... I keep looking at temperatures. When I wake up it's 29... She wakes maybe an hour later and is like "should we leave". I advise that we should have some breakfast first (by this time it's a balmy 33). We have breakfast and head back to the hotel to pack / dress for the ride. She puts on her long underoos (which she had been wearing the previous day), her "walk around" clothes, her liners and riding gear, and finishes it off with her rain gear. We head out to the bike. There's still ice on the seat. As I'm starting to put away the bags she starts scraping the ice off with her gloves, and of course I yell at her. I literally just took some towels out of the trunk to put her bag in there. According to the trip planner it was about 2.5 hours home (using the no highways option). I'd planned in a stop about every 45 minutes to warm up. First stop I took, got fuel (didn't really need it) spent a few minutes... 2nd stop I took as well, when she got off she said she was still doing reasonably fine. We skipped the last stop altogether.

As it sits today, there's 2500 miles on the odometer. Most years that would be pitiful. Based on the fact that I don't leave the house anymore that's not really that awful. I still have a "rebuild the stock seat" project on my list over the winter, but complaints about the current replacement seat have been pretty minimal.

I did turn on the heated seat and heated grips (like to 2 of 5) during the rides both today and yesterday. Solid features.

Loving the bike. I get all kinds of comments on it. People have actually rolled down their at window stop lights to comment.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast