Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

2018 Gold Wing has been announced

Lifer

2018 Gold Wing has been announced

2018 Gold Wing

Honda had dropped the all new Gold Wing

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 2018 Gold Wing has been announced

We've been discussing in iglus land whale thread. http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ml#post1510136

it's too bad the tour doesn't come in that silver. I guess the navy is the next best option.

happy 40th to me...perhaps.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

What's retail gonna be on this thing? Seems like a great bike.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

23kish to 31kish depending on what bits you want MSRP.

Based on what I'm hearing from the Goldwing crowd (who hates everything) I don't expect them to be discounted much.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    23kish to 31kish depending on what bits you want MSRP.

Based on what I'm hearing from the Goldwing crowd (who hates everything) I don't expect them to be discounted much.
    23k actually isn't that bad...

23k seems low. The 17's have an MSRP of 24,600 as a base model. Id expect with the new technology and redesign for the lowest one to be closer to 25k.

Well, due to the renaming the "base model" is what was known as the F6B, and MSRP is 23.5k see 2018 Gold Wing Overview - Honda Powersports

@Christian - please feel free to convince my wife that's a good price .

I'm probably looking at the tour edition with the DCT. Starting price seems to be right around 28k. That'll be the 2nd most I've ever spent on a vehicle.

Well, due to the renaming the "base model" is what was known as the F6B, and MSRP is 23.5k see 2018 Gold Wing Overview - Honda Powersports

@Christian - please feel free to convince my wife that's a good price .

I'm probably looking at the tour edition with the DCT. Starting price seems to be right around 28k. That'll be the 2nd most I've ever spent on a vehicle.
    Why the dct? That'd be the last thing I'd ever want on a bike personally.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Why the dct? That'd be the last thing I'd ever want on a bike personally.
    It's a good question, and to be honest I don't know that I want it, I just think I do.

I've never ridden a bike with a DCT, so I'm guessing. That said, here's my reasoning...

I've driven plenty of vehicles with manual transmissions. Everything from an 18 speed OTR truck to a column shift Ford F550. From a Caterpillar D8 to a Honda CB 70. I understand the advantages (and disadvantages) of a manual transmission. I get the fact that they, in general, offer drivers much more control.

Street bikes, for me, aren't just an enjoyment vehicle. I also use them to get places. That doesn't mean that they aren't enjoyable and used for enjoyment, but that's not all they are for. Doing 400 - 500 miles in a day, 2 up isn't something "unimaginable" (and quite honestly are some great days). Spending 3 hours in commuter traffic on my way to our Boston office isn't something even unusual (it actually can happen multiple times a month, but are generally less great days).

So far (admitting that I haven't ridden one) I don't see a downside to the DCT. You can still "select" the gear you want if you want to. For this particular bike you can even purchase an aftermarket "foot switch". You can also just let the confuser decide. Not having to develop a significant "pump" in my left arm due to modulating the clutch for 2 hours in traffic in Boston would be an advantage (and honestly, the GL isn't that bad, due to the hydraulic clutch, the VTX I had before, with the mechanical clutch could be extremely painful).

First car my family purchased with a CVT I was very skeptical. 2nd car my family purchased with a CVT I was like, cool. When I purchased a vehicle in 2014 that didn't offer a CVT I was completely like WTF, this is stoopid!!! (vehicle also didn't offer a manual transmission, which would have been my 2nd choice, so here I am).

A few year ago serious drivers made fun of people buying cars with flappy paddle gear boxes. Today most super cars come with only flappy paddle gear boxes not only because they work better / faster than manual boxes, but they are easier to operate effectively.

I'd be happy to be talked out of the DCT. It'd probably save me a few grand. I don't understand why I wouldn't want it, yet.

Last edited by jasnmar; 10-25-17 at 10:02 PM.

It's a good question, and to be honest I don't know that I want it, I just think I do.

I've never ridden a bike with a DCT, so I'm guessing. That said, here's my reasoning...

I've driven plenty of vehicles with manual transmissions. Everything from an 18 speed OTR truck to a column shift Ford F550. From a Caterpillar D8 to a Honda CB 70. I understand the advantages (and disadvantages) of a manual transmission. I get the fact that they, in general, offer drivers much more control.

Street bikes, for me, aren't just an enjoyment vehicle. I also use them to get places. That doesn't mean that they aren't enjoyable and used for enjoyment, but that's not all they are for. Doing 400 - 500 miles in a day, 2 up isn't something "unimaginable" (and quite honestly are some great days). Spending 3 hours in commuter traffic on my way to our Boston office isn't something even unusual (it actually can happen multiple times a month, but are generally less great days).

So far (admitting that I haven't ridden one) I don't see a downside to the DCT. You can still "select" the gear you want if you want to. For this particular bike you can even purchase an aftermarket "foot switch". You can also just let the confuser decide. Not having to develop a significant "pump" in my left arm due to modulating the clutch for 2 hours in traffic in Boston would be an advantage (and honestly, the GL isn't that bad, due to the hydraulic clutch, the VTX I had before, with the mechanical clutch could be extremely painful).

First car my family purchased with a CVT I was very skeptical. 2nd car my family purchased with a CVT I was like, cool. When I purchased a vehicle in 2014 that didn't offer a CVT I was completely like WTF, this is stoopid!!! (vehicle also didn't offer a manual transmission, which would have been my 2nd choice, so here I am).

A few year ago serious drivers made fun of people buying cars with flappy paddle gear boxes. Today most super cars come with only flappy paddle gear boxes not only because they work better / faster than manual boxes, but they are easier to operate effectively.

I'd be happy to be talked out of the DCT. It'd probably save me a few grand. I don't understand why I wouldn't want it, yet.
    I've actually never driven a CVT, so I was curious. That makes sense with commuting and traffic. I swore off commuting on the bike to school on the highway because it sucked so much with a big heavy bike. Maybe this would make it more enjoyable.

DCT is not the same as CVT

My car Accord16 is CVT when you nail it the engine revs to 6000 and the tranny feeds speed to maintain it. Additionally at 50 on a level road
    the engine is only spinning at 1200

DCT is concentric transmission shafts so that by moving back and forth a separate shaft is contacted but its a 100 percent attachment
    like a manual transmission. I havent investigate it but it is what is on racing and super car paddle shifts

No manual clutch so no achy left hand and effortless creep in traffic

You can paddle shift or let it do it. The only advantage to manual transmission is you know what you are about to do

Hill , pass, accelerate out of turn which you can with a paddles shift

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

I also have not sampled. But I've read some rather negative press re: the Africa Twin. Ironically the biggest pros for it are almost all for off-road use. But then the cons apply to both off and on-road use. I find it infuriating when the "confuser" chooses to up-shift just before that long, steep hill. The hooman sees it, confuser not so much. Now it's flailing, trying to double or triple downshift. And multiple gear drops are not the DCT's strong suit. IIRC most implementations MUST shift sequentially; no such thing as a double tap 'n go.

To my eye having a computer work the clutch and shift takes 80% of the fun out of motorcycling. I gave up the manual clutch reluctantly in my daily driver. Not willing to do so on bikes.

I'm not out for all out performance on the street. So what the super-cars do is irrelevant.

Horses for courses. If you commute daily, the DCT would be an amazing plus. For pure enjoyment and soulful connection between rider and bike, not so much. This is the exact reason you can barely find a manual transmission car or truck these days.

Paul_E_D

Wow, tough week for old people. First they realize they are most likely to die on a bike then their dream bike is unveiled. Oh, the irony.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I find it infuriating when the "confuser" chooses to up-shift just before that long, steep hill. The hooman sees it, confuser not so much. Now it's flailing, trying to double or triple downshift.
    This *should* be an easy problem to fix. Bosch 6-axis IMU tells the confuser vehicle has a positive pitch, confuser doesn't upshift unless you reach predetermined shift points based on the severity of the pitch. Big plus: it'll hold the gear for whoolies.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Hahaa! I never even considered the whoolies. Would be seriously deflating if it shifted as soon as you get it up...

Paul_E_D

My only problem with DCT is it seems like (more) non-user-serviceable black magic that turns a sweet bike into a paperweight on failure. I admit this is mostly psychological; if I'm comfortable with an ECU and fuel injection why draw the line at DCT?

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

i have to laugh. "first goldwing with and electric shield" Yea i've got that on my 06 ST. the front is verrrrryy interesting

interesting 130/200 combination. easier darkside!

833#. phew my ST is still tighter

LMAO 5.55 gallon tank compared to mmy 7.3 gallon

Last edited by nt650hawk; 10-26-17 at 09:35 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    DCT is not the same as CVT
    I didn't intend to imply that they were the same.

I intended to imply that there was a new transmissiony thing... I wasn't sure whether or not I would like it. I tried it. I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I also have not sampled. But I've read some rather negative press re: the Africa Twin. Ironically the biggest pros for it are almost all for off-road use. But then the cons apply to both off and on-road use. I find it infuriating when the "confuser" chooses to up-shift just before that long, steep hill. The hooman sees it, confuser not so much. Now it's flailing, trying to double or triple downshift. And multiple gear drops are not the DCT's strong suit. IIRC most implementations MUST shift sequentially; no such thing as a double tap 'n go.

To my eye having a computer work the clutch and shift takes 80% of the fun out of motorcycling. I gave up the manual clutch reluctantly in my daily driver. Not willing to do so on bikes.

I'm not out for all out performance on the street. So what the super-cars do is irrelevant.
    Yes, the confuser will need make good decisions for this to be effective.

Assuming that they haven't completely destroyed the torque curve of the 1800 cc flat six with the changes they made (and if logic applies to this like it does for the design of other engines, there should actually be more torque) as long as the confuser doesn't screw up too badly there should be a significant amount of room for error. The only actual riding review I've seen of this thing was on the track, so not exactly "real world". We won't know much until these things start actually hitting the street on whether or not the confuser is doing a good job or not.

So far I've never needed to drop 2 on a GL. I went all the way around NHMS in 3rd, multiple times .

It’s official: I want one.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I find it humorous the spread of those in the "I want one" camp.... I'm sure if it has a 12V power outlet sufficient enough to run a kettle we could get Degsy on board even.

CCS/LRRS #83

The old alternator was rated ~70A on the GL, but you could buy an aftermarket 150A if you wanted.

I haven't seen any specs on the new starternator, but there's a possibility it could run a tea kettle .

the big boy tourer market is getting good. up until this thing was shown I was all over the Yamaha Star Venture. and I was just on the site and now it a bagger. Mind blown.

Im way to cheap and broke to drop the 25k on one, but in a couple years when they are under 10k sign me up

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast