Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2021 Aprilia Tuono 660

Lifer

2021 Aprilia Tuono 660

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined

First problem I see is they should have tweaked the engine 6 more ccs for that evil power

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

Re: 2021 Aprilia Tuono 660

I heard they wanted to but since they are in Italy the Vatican stepped in and said no. The the Pope heard Ducati USA was raided by FBI. He promptly went out and bought a Moto Guzzi

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

I'm excited to see what the 660rs brings to the table at the track this year.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I wish Aprilia would skip all the social media teasing and just send one to Zack and Ari to review.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I wish Aprilia would skip all the social media teasing and just send one to Zack and Ari to review.
    Pretty sure they have tested and reviewed it, no?

Paul_E_D

The RS660 has been tested but the Tuono has not been introduced to the media yet.

I hear that the EU A2 tiered licensing requires bikes to be detuned via dealer by an ECU compliance setting of not making more than 47bhp in restricted form. This rule also requires that motorcycles not make more than double the 47bhp when in unrestricted form. This is why the Tuono is being sold at 95bhp and not the RS' 100bhp number.

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    Aprilia invited them to the their ride day at Chuckwalla last month. The RS 660's they had for them were on slicks while the model I rode was bone stock. I was stoked to pass Ari only to find out his bike ran out of gas.

My take on track-riding both the RS 660 and current Tuono is that the 660 will make an amazing race platform. Personally, I couldn't imagine having a smaller version of the Tuono, that bike surprised me in many ways but the 660 Tuono will likely appeal to a broader audience.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2021 Aprilia Tuono 660-v4-jpg
    I picked up a 2021 Tuono v4 1100 this fall, incredible motorcycle!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

doing some winter upgrades on the Tuono, installed the Akrapovic carbon fiber slip on and tuned the bike to Aprilia race map using UpMAP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mike53 View Post
    doing some winter upgrades on the Tuono, installed the Akrapovic carbon fiber slip on and tuned the bike to Aprilia race map using UpMAP
    Sounds great! I’ve got a pair of Akro’s on my Ape..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021 Aprilia Tuono 660-c6383997-bb59-4789-aab5-307b580d407c  

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I had a 15 Tuono 1100 Factory with a SC project on it and it was terribly loud. I never had to use my horn after that mod as a blip of the throttle always had drivers heads around me swivel to see where that thunder was coming from. I think the Akra is a better choice.

I will say that the Tuono V4 is probably the best street motorcycle made. It has an amazingly wide envelope of motorcycling use cases in its portfolio. From hooligan to commuter, from track day weapon to all day touring platform with some soft bags, it can really do a lot of things well while always putting a smile on your face.

Having heard the stock exhaust on a Tuono V4, I probably wouldn't swap it out unless it colludes with some other emissions mechanics to do bad things to the bike temperature.

Edited to add: That pipe do sound sweet though!

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Sounds great! I’ve got a pair of Akro’s on my Ape..
    I've been through some bikes now and the '07 RSVR Dark Lion Factory that I let go is the only one that really haunts me for doing so. Mine was very well sorted. It was both great on track and mannered enough on the streets. Still one of the best looking sportbikes out there.

The V4 was fun too, but in a different way.

Still really interested in trying the 660 engine bikes out but the issues out of the gate and ongoing really need to get sorted for several years for me to ever consider having one in the stable.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

That bike and that exhaust are fine as hell! Are those lowering pegs or aftermarket rearsets? When I rode a stock 2020 Tuono at the Aprilia day, I was scraping pegs a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    That bike and that exhaust are fine as hell! Are those lowering pegs or aftermarket rearsets? When I rode a stock 2020 Tuono at the Aprilia day, I was scraping pegs a lot.
    just lowering pegs... i may do a few track days but im setting the bike up for street.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Zolden View Post
    I've been through some bikes now and the '07 RSVR Dark Lion Factory that I let go is the only one that really haunts me for doing so. Mine was very well sorted. It was both great on track and mannered enough on the streets. Still one of the best looking sportbikes out there.

The V4 was fun too, but in a different way.

Still really interested in trying the 660 engine bikes out but the issues out of the gate and ongoing really need to get sorted for several years for me to ever consider having one in the stable.
    That’s cool to hear. Mine is an 07 factory. Sadly Ive only put maybe 100 miles on it in 2.5 years. First twin I’ve had since my old TL1000R, but the Ape is significantly better in every way. I’m in it very cheap, so just holding it hoping I’ll start doing some trackdays again.

This is the same parallel twin found in the RS660, yes? iirc it has a 270 degree crank and so feels more like a Vtwin - any thoughts on that?

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Correct. Same 270 crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by jim v View Post
    This is the same parallel twin found in the RS660, yes? iirc it has a 270 degree crank and so feels more like a Vtwin - any thoughts on that?
    The RS660 and the Tuono 660 share the same motor in the USA. In the EU there was a slight dip in max bhp of the Tuono due to tiered license requirements of being able to sell the Tuono 660 as an A2 ECU restricted bike. Here in the USA the ECU was not mucked with. So full power to our Tuono 660s.

I took my RS660 out yesterday for a short blast. The clean roads after the weekend rain, the bright sun and endless zoom calls stacked back to back with 1/2 hour slot free at lunch meant I was going for a ride. It was the best therapy EVER. OMG I hadn't ridden it for a bit as my ADV bike was getting the nod. DANG! This thing is FUN as I hoisted a 2nd gear wheelie and rode it out for a bit. The full throttle pulls while snicking the QS through the gears with that intake honk sounding much like the bigger V4.... DANG its a fun bike.

This RS660 is an inspiration of small, light, powerful, comfortable and fun. I think this, the Tuono and the soon arriving Tuareg should be top of the list for those looking for something in the middleweight FUN SIZED category. Yes I downsized from a liter class bike and don't miss the in your face brutal power. This 100bhp is just right!

2021 Aprilia Tuono 660-img_1004-jpg

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    This 100bhp is just right!
    Amazing how much more fun it can be to ride a bike with a lower power output in various situations.

Not saying there isn't a place for the pointy end of the spear liter bikes in the world but over 25+ years of riding I have discovered that it is a lot of fun riding a "slow"/"underpowered" bike

Last edited by tls25rs; 12-15-21 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, thinking about a trackday ride for next year and the RS checks off a lot of boxes. The parallel twin configuration isn't my favorite (in reality probably my least favorite) so good to hear it feels like like a V2 and sounds a bit like a V4

This is the first parallel twin that I have loved. It feels better than a V2 imo because it is revvier in nature.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    This is the first parallel twin that I have loved. It feels better than a V2 imo because it is revvier in nature.
    Have you ever ridden a TRX850? I don't think they were sold here but they were very popular in Australia. First parallel twin that I liked.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Have you ever ridden a TRX850? I don't think they were sold here but they were very popular in Australia. First parallel twin that I liked.
    We had them here for a few years. A buddy had one but I never got to try it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D