Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2021 MT07 Build

2021 MT07 Build

I've been itching to get back to a bit more aggressive riding and track time the past couple of years. Just something the Harley will not do well. I can't really ride a sport bike anymore at least for extended periods and feel good at the end of the day. I sat on MT07, the MT09 as well as dreamed about the Triumph Speed triple. All were available for purchase. The Triumph as much as I wanted it, was out of my price range. The MT09 was just a bit too wide for me. The MT07 just felt right. On that nice warm day we had in November I went down to MoMs South and made my purchase. The warm weather and the fact they could take care of the registration that day without me having to go to the DMV just sealed the deal.

Incoming MT07

Previous builds have been,

2015 Harley Street Bob I guess I never really kept up with what I did here but it did get finished.

2012 KTM 450 SMR

2007 Yamaha R6

This build will take longer then most I've done in the past. There is no rush to race prep so it is something I can take my time on. However somethings are moving forward at a good pace.

As with all my bikes it's off to Computrack for a measurement to see what I'm starting with.

Suspension ordered. Decided to go with Andreani cartridges and a Penske Shock. The stuff for the forks came in quickly so I got right on it.

Off come the forks and into the tank.

Once the forks are cleaned and dried this is what is kept

This is what is tossed...

The cartridges are not a direct drop in. The tubes get tossed into the lathe to get rid of some junk

Off to the bin

Result

The Andreani kit comes complete with springs and spacers all set to go so at this point it is a simple assembly.

The end result is a set of damper rod forks that ride like a 70s Caddy with no means to adjust how they function are now a nice adjustable cartridge fork. Compression on one side and rebound on the other.

Waiting on the shock to arrive but that should be a simple install.

I'll freely admit my 450 with the slipper clutch made me a lazy rider. The MT doesn't come with one stock. What it did seem to come with was a TON of engine braking in the short ride I had. Since I plan on doing some track days with this bike I thought I might as well extend the laziness and got a slipper clutch for it. I'll install it when I do the first oil change, so sometime in the spring if things warm up nicely this year.

That is where we stand right now. I have more on tap. Some functional, some visual, and some just because. I'll update as I do things.

13 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Re: 2021 MT07 Build

Sweet jeebus will this be leaps and bounds better than the stock bike. Congrats and thanks for the thread.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Very cool! Curious how the bike’s geometry was out of the box? Any substantial changes for a track ready package?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Very cool! Curious how the bike’s geometry was out of the box? Any substantial changes for a track ready package?
    It's a bit lacking in trail and flatter swingarm angle then we would want. For my intended purpose with this bike we wont be making any big changes to the geometry but if I were to go race it where I would be grinding the front into the pavement I may be commissioning a set of reduced offset triples for it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Would you care to explain a bit what you knocked off of the forks with the lathe?

Sweet build so far!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

How's the engine on these? I'm only familiar with the parallels on the classic triumphs.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Would you care to explain a bit what you knocked off of the forks with the lathe?

Sweet build so far!
    The picture below the fork leg in the lathe is what we had to take out. I'm not exactly sure what it's purpose is in the damper rod set up. I think some sort of hydraulic lock. You would have to ask PK to get the right answer. However with the cartridge they don't do anything. The cartridge diameter is too big to fit through the opening at the bottom of the tube with that piece in. The bottom of the tube is rolled over to keep that piece from coming out the bottom so it needs to be cut up. You could do it with an angle grinder if you had to but the lathe is easier and does a much nicer job.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    How's the engine on these? I'm only familiar with the parallels on the classic triumphs.
    Don't really know yet. I only have 25 miles on the bike. It does feel very torquey. The front end wants to come up with a twist of the throttle. There is also a ton of engine braking. Something about the way the injectors shut down when you get off the gas. I believe that can be tuned down or out with an ecu flash. I do intend on getting that done once I decide on the exhaust.

James

Parts are starting to trickle in.

Penske shock has arrived. It's your typical Penske 8983 with remote.

One extra I elected to go with since we had one was a hydraulic spring perch. It is a bit over kill for my bike but I figured why not.

Today at some point the TST Industries spooled chain adjusters should arrive. Monday my woodcraft order should be in and then I'll get to work on installing everything.

James

Was asked to include a bit more detail on another board so I figured I would do the same here unless you guys don't want me to.

Into a bit more about the shock. As i said it's your typical 8983 Penske. Generally they come ready to install. However Penske has been having issues getting springs so we had them just ship the damper. We had the spring I needed at the shop.

To do the final assembly on this I did a quick mock up with the spring and the perch.

Just everything slipped on to see where the preload collar ends up.

Reason for this is we like to put on a little never seize on the treads.

Now for the final assembly.

Everything fit up with the hydraulic perch in place and the snap ring in.

The hydraulic perch is significantly thinker then the standard perch. I would say roughly two times thicker. Hard to show in this photo.

I had to back the preload collar all the way up and still add a little pressure to get the snap ring to seat. Not a lot. I was able to do it by hand but I may need a spring compressor if I need to remove it.

Before I put the spring on for the final time I took a measurement of its length so I could set the preload right. They all have a nominal length but due to manufacturing tolerances there are slight differences from spring to spring.

Set with 10mm of preload. I may go 2 more since I'm between rates and we went with the lighter rate. That will have to wait until I'm back at the shop with access to a vise since my hands can't hold the shock and spin the collar at the same time. I would have added a thrust bearing (they are included with the shock) but with the hydraulic perch I don't have the room unless I go with a shorter spring which I still can.

And complete and ready for install. Think I will be able to do that tomorrow.

As for the hydraulic perch. Do I need it? No certainly not. It was used because we had one. I previously used it on my R6 Supersport. That bike was full race bike. It is hard to see in the photo what it is doing. The idea behind it is a spring is not flat so when you load it it will slightly bow. This affects how the shock functions since its getting a slight side load. Once again will I notice a difference? Certainly not. Who knows if the best riders in the world would notice the difference but the people looking at the telemetry can see it.

It's not the easiest thing to see but the perch is slightly canted when the shock is done.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Got some work done. Not everything I wanted to. Started late and the key item I wanted arrived a day late. The TST Industry chain adjuster didn't show up until about3pm today. UPS had issues I suppose. That was first on my list of things to do so I could get the bike up on a stable stand rather then use a pad stand for it.

Anyway I was able to get some work done. Rest of my stuff arrived actually a couple hours earlier then usual. It was Woodcraft day. Rearsets, frame sliders, front and rear axle sliders.

I started with the axle sliders. I've never done a set like this. Previous axle sliders I've used were SME Supermoto axle sliders on my 450. They were pretty much a piece of all thread and some sliders that had threaded inserts in them. The woodcraft stuff is a bit more thought out.

This is the front insert. The rears are similar with a few small differences. They only fit one way. The instructions are decent but could be dumbed down a little bit for guys that don't do this stuff on a regular basis. It reads like stereo instructions. I is one of those things that if you know its easy. If not the terms can be confusing.

Normal front end.

Mount installed

Finished product. I do like that the sliders can be quickly replaced and not that it matters in my case, doesn't add much time to wheel changes.

Photo dump of the rear

More to follow after dinner.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Next on my list of things was the frame sliders. I've done several sets of these on other bikes and these were probably the easiest ones I've done. A lot of bikes have a specific left and ride so you need to pay attention. The ones for the MT are identical for both sides.

These replace the engine mount bolt so that gets taken out. One side at a time.

Next the frame slider mount is installed with the bolt supplied with the kit.

Finished product.

Last on todays list was the rearsets.

First thing I like to do is separate the parts into what goes on the right and left side.

I thought I had photos of them going together but that doesn't seem to be the case. Shift side stock rearset. The photo for the brake side was blurry but its similar.

I like to mock it all up and get it to fit right before I add any thread lock. The brake side took a bit of thought. Mainly because all my other stuff was track only so stuff like the brake light switch which uses a spring attached to the pedal would just get tossed in the trash. This is going to be a street bike so that stuff had to remain.

Shift side complete

Brake side done

Next weekend the goal is the TST industries stuff and then the shock.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Looking good! Just a heads up, on my CP3 XSR the left side engine case still touches the ground before the Woodcraft slider does. I learned this the hard way and bought an engine cover. Not sure if the CP2 is the same but maybe something to look out for just to be safe.

Nice! Those axle sliders look pretty slick! I really like the quick release.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Looking good! Just a heads up, on my CP3 XSR the left side engine case still touches the ground before the Woodcraft slider does. I learned this the hard way and bought an engine cover. Not sure if the CP2 is the same but maybe something to look out for just to be safe.
    Not sure that's an issue with the twin but good to know. Case covers were on my radar but down the road a bit. Maybe I'll move them up the list.

James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Reason for this is we like to put on a little never seize on the treads.
    thank you for pointing this out. you'd be surprised how many people dont do this or think of using never seize.

These replace the engine mount bolt so that gets taken out. One side at a time.
    do you never seize your engine bolts? many think to use blue loctite, but i've had one stuck in there from it. now it's never seize.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Finished up what I had for parts today. Installed the TST Industries chain adjusters and the Penske shock.

Started with the TST stuff since it added the much needed spools to get the bike on a rear stand. Don't know why Yamaha didn't put spool mounts on the swingarm and more puzzling is why they covered the hole on the lower triple with some sort of bracket so you can't easily use a front pin stand. The front I will address later maybe next week. For now onto the rear.

Installation is pretty straight forward. The instructional video on the TST website is good. Unlike what they did I did one side at a time.

Off with the old covers/adjusters.

On with the new left side.

Same deal with the right.

Now toss on the spools.

Now that these are installed I can get the bike on a rear stand and then on a set of power stands to get the rear off the ground to install the shock.

Yamaha in their infinite wisdom covered one of the shock bolts with the rear hugger. It is not quite as bad as needing to lift the gas tank on the R6 but still annoying especially with the plastic clips on the inside of the hugger.

With the hugger off it is a pretty easy job. One thing to do before removing the shock is to get a ride height reference measurement. Sorry no photo of me using a tape measure

Comparison.

New shock now goes in.

I recheck the ride height. I gained a couple mm in rear ride height switching the shocks. The Penske at its shortest was just slightly longer. It is not enough of a difference for me to notice on the street and probably not enough to notice on the track.

Now that the installation is complete I set the chain slack. Once the chain slack is where I want it I don't just move the right side adjuster to the same make as the left side. These stamped and welded pieces are made to a tolerance and there is no easy way of telling which end of the range my piece is. Instead of just lining up the marks I set the slack, tighten down the axle nut to take out the slop and then do a wheel alignment using the right side adjuster. It does end up being close to the same marks.

One thing to consider if you're thinking about the TST stuff. It is well made. I'm not disappointed with it. However with some quick cross reference I'm pretty sure I could have swapped to the new R7 swingarm which has spool mounts already on it. The bearings, spacers, and pivot bolt are all the same.

I always prefer the factory look over something after market or chopped up unless it is intended. This is why I spent 40min on day picking the rear light connectors on my Harley rather then just cutting a splicing since they ran them through a hollow bolt and attached the connections after the fact. Very frustrating bike to work on for many reasons.

Anyway back to the MT. I lose my shop space soon so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next or when I'll be able to get it done. Goal is to get 90% of it done before riding season really gets going here.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Not a ton has happened since last update. Wallet needs to heal a bit. Besides the bike I have a few other things pulling at it.

Anyway we did do one thing. When I stopped racing I sold off most of my stuff including my stands. Which means I needed new stands for this bike. Ordered a set of Woodcraft stands. For those of you that have tried to put these bikes on stands you quickly realized wtf was Yamaha thinking. No mounts for spools for a rear stand and the headlight bracket that covers the hole in the steering stem for a pin stand.

The TST industries stuff solved the rear stand issue. Pretty easy install from the last post.

For the front I had to modify the bracket that holds the headlight in place.

As you can see we cut the tails off.

Before the tails were cut off I really wasn't sure what those tails did. At first I thought they just held in the rubber cap Yamaha put in the bottom of the stem. That rubber piece got tossed in the trash since I could see its only purpose was to hold in any moisture to help rust form.

That tails that we cut off however prevented the bracket from rotating and releasing the headlight from the bracket. An interesting design. In place of the tails we used a zip tie to keep the bracket from rotating.

Since it was so nice out yesterday, almost 60 in here Feb, and the shop is closing the end of March I rode the bike home. Now all work on it has been relocated to my crowded garage, driveway or neighbors lift.

James

Someone around me has a 2019 MT 07 1300 miles and is asking 6500 it’s all stock and I’m really considering it since the Husqvarna 701 won’t be around for 8 weeks.
    Thoughts?

Dang. I had no idea GMD was closing. Just went to the website and read it.

Quote Originally Posted by zxme View Post
    Someone around me has a 2019 MT 07 1300 miles and is asking 6500 it’s all stock and I’m really considering it since the Husqvarna 701 won’t be around for 8 weeks.
    Thoughts?
    It's a hard comparison. I don't have many miles on the MT07. Really just from MoMs to here. It was fun for those miles. Never been on the Husky 701. I raced a 450 for a while. It was a shitton of fun. Don't think I would want it for the road but I'm sure the Husky is much better suited to road riding then the 450. If I had the money and the space I would probably have both.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Dang. I had no idea GMD was closing. Just went to the website and read it.
    Picking up a new to me bike, was planning on going to GMD to have a set of these Andreani inserts, which is why I came to this thread. BUMMER

It's been a while since I've updated but I haven't been idle. I'll try and get them in order and it may take a few tries to get this right.

Since the purpose of this bike was to have something to ride to work. Also have something fun and sporty and trackday worthy but really to "ride to work".

I needed some storage on it and the SW-Motech stuff seemed like my best option.

It is a pretty slick system but I did have a few issues mounting it. On a bike with stock suspension or with a shock that doesn't have a remote reservoir there is no problem. However my Penske has a remote and with the bracket they supply it interferes with the supports for the bags.

Normally this would be a very minor thing. I would just go down the street to my friends shop and make one. He shut down at the end of Feb. Not an option. Luckily my neighbor is a machinist and has a decent amount of bench tools. Not as big or as nice as what we had at the shop but good enough for this.

This is the bracket supplied by Penske.

What we did was mirror the bracket but move it forward a little. Gave it two mounting points as well since now it would no longer be sandwiched between the rear peg and the subframe. Made a couple of spacers to have the new bracket standoff a bit.

All fitted up with no interference.

I could remount the rear peg but that wasn't part of the plan. Don't really want anyone on the back. I have a Harley for that. I do like symmetry so the rear peg on the right side has to come off. For that to happen I had to make a bracket to hold the rear brake reservoir.

All mounted up.

James

Next up is some tuning. Went the easy route and ordered the Graves package from 2WDW. A little pricey but they get good reviews and it was the exhaust I was looking for.

I thought about this for a while. What do I want to accomplish with the tune and exhaust. I know a lot of people went Akrapovic. I've had their stuff in the past as it was top notch. That got a lot of thought. What I was looking for was something that didn't make the bike too loud. I leave for work most days at 3am. With the db killer insert this was a good option. The Graves pipe also has the db killer insert. If I want to be stupid loud I have a Harley for that. I also wanted to drop as much weight as possible. Akrapovic didn't offer a full Ti pipe for this bike from what I could find. Graves dose have full Ti pipe. I'm sure the difference between the both is small but it is something.

Ecu out to 2WDW to flash

While I'm in there the fun snorkel gets tossed out.

It popped right out of the cover without any mods.

Now I have a new little issue. My cat catches mice in my garage. She is really good at it. However I dont really want a gaping hole into my filter.

Bought a bit of aluminum gutter filter at the local store and made a barrier.

In the mean time the stuff from FTECU arrived.

No photo but its an o2 sensor and whatever the continuous tuning device is. Just need to figure out how hide it all since it seems like 4 feet of wire. 3 feet of it really isn't needed.

My ecu came in as well. No photo but its really. I was a little disappointed when it showed up. I suspected it when the FTECU stuff showed up on it's own but it looks like 2WDW just drop ships item and doesn't actually stock them on site. I was expecting the exhaust with the ECU but just got the ECU. Not a huge deal but I was really looking forward to giving the bike a ride with all the new stuff.

In prep I took the stock pipe off. It was a lot easier then it was when I did my R6. I was also surprised on how light it actually was. On the R6 the stock pipe was 18lbs. I haven't weighed this one but I don't think its over 10lbs.

Now the bike sadly sits waiting for the Graves pipe to arrive.

James

It's been a few weeks since last post but the exhaust has come in.

Well packaged Grave exhaust

So away we go. Everything goes on loose so adjustments can be made and they did need to be made.

A bit of anti seize in cane I need to get it apart again easily.

Assembling the pipe was the easiest part for me. I've done more complicated ones before that just showed up as a mess of pipes and these were clearly marked what each piece was. Once it was on it was just a little bit of twisting here and there to get the clearance I was looking for. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I thought the wiring was going to be a bit weird when I saw what I was working with. At first I thought I had WAY too much wire to work with. I think it could still be reduced in some spots but I ended up after a few tries with about the correct amount. I think they could have reduced the length on the O2 sensor side and maybe added a little to the FTECU side.

O2 sensor into the pipe.

It's hard to see but here is the million feet of wire the O2 sensor had.

Idea one on how to handle the wire from both the O2 sensor side and the FTECU side.

The side cover didn't fit over this mess. I'm glad it didn't because I probably would have left it as such if it did. I wasn't very happy with this setup. After this I decided to check the FTECU sight for instructions. They do have some but they weren't all that helpful. Maybe the placement things over the lifespan of these bikes has changed a little. Anyway it did help give me an idea.

I moved the FTECU active tune up between the right side bodywork and subframe.

This did two things for me. First it put the FTECU piece in a better protected spot and it solved most of my wiring issue. This is where I would have liked to have another 2 or3 inches of wire on the FTECU side. The way the harness is done the wire comes down along the right side and has to take a 180 to plug into the harness. It works but a little extra would have been sweet. The million feet of wire from the O2 senor ended up being close to perfect.

I didn't get photos of it all together. I will if you all want to see but it looks like a MT07 with Graves exhaust. The bike rips with the tune and sounds pretty awesome with the exhaust.

The only issue I'm having now is it throwing codes and the engine light remains on. I've been in contact with 2WDW since they did the tune and we are trying to figure out what is going on. I was able to clear all the codes with a scanner except for one. I can't get rid of the P0030 code which is O2 sensor related. According to 2WDW that code shouldn't even exist with their tune. They forwarded that to FTECU to see what they say. Hoping to hear back soon. I'm thinking I will be sending my ECU back in to get flashed again which stinks but last time they were super quick to get it done and back to me.

At this point except for some cosmetic things I consider this bike done. I will keep this updated as I get to those and possible the slipper clutch install but with the new tune I'm not so sure I'm going to use it.

James

A bit of anti seize in cane I need to get it apart again easily.
    this is a very good idea

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Jim; 06-03-22 at 02:40 PM.
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft