Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

4 Insane Things Nobody Tells You About Riding A Motorcycle Read more: 4 Insane Thing

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

4 Insane Things Nobody Tells You About Riding A Motorcycle Read more: 4 Insane Thing

Pretty good article on cracked about 4 lessons learned by a guy who just started riding. Really funny to see some of the same things i thought when i first started.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-insane...A+All+Posts%29

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 4 Insane Things Nobody Tells You About Riding A Motorcycle Read more: 4 Insane T

The primal brain's screams made me laugh.

Calvin knows about riding a bicycle that hates you.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Re: 4 Insane Things Nobody Tells You About Riding A Motorcycle Read more: 4 Insane T

"You also control the throttle with your hand instead of foot, and have not one but two brakes - using either of which at the wrong time will hurl you off the bike like a meat trebuchet."

Yep. Been there. Trebuchet'd that.

Wow, great stuff, I lol'd. Although, I disagree with his opinion of the clutch/gear selector argument. I always thought having the clutch at your hand made more sense? Better feel with your fingers, than your foot, to find the friction point? And, who the hell uses the rear brake?

Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Wow, great stuff, I lol'd. Although, I disagree with his opinion of the clutch/gear selector argument. I always thought having the clutch at your hand made more sense? Better feel with your fingers, than your foot, to find the friction point? And, who the hell uses the rear brake?
    Harley guys. Haven't you ever heard "don't use the front brake"?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I got to the first part, "We all go WAY too fast" and already disagree with the author.

I can guarantee that PhilB DOES NOT EVER go way too fast

That's not just me being a pussy about the whole thing (I mean, it is totally that, but there are other factors, too).

Last edited by JohnnyV; 05-23-12 at 11:03 AM.

Hahaha sorry but this dude is funny as hell..... for those who choose not to read the whole thing, in addition the the one quote I posted above:

"So there's a several-ton steel box travelling more than fast enough to crush you to death in a nanosecond, and its operator has decided that his safe stopping distance is 'up your asshole.' And there's no way to make him back off, either. He's comfortable there, inside your asshole; he shows no signs of moving. He's going to make a life up in your colon - hell, he's already planting a garden and having his mail forwarded there, so you better get used to him."

"So yeah, sure, it's just like riding a bicycle...while playing Moonlight Sonata, on a glockenspiel, and sprinting full bore through a psych ward full of murderers."

As I tell my friends "Riding a motorcycle means you are never wearing your seat belt."

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    i dont think he was saying that it is not better, just that it is not where you expect them to be. There is a learning curve is all

Last edited by Woodsy; 05-23-12 at 02:30 PM.

This was a great mid-day read! Thanks for the laughs!

--Jesse
    2001 SV650s

http://www.cracked.com/article_19217...r4=recommended

^this one from a couple years ago is a really good read as well

Quote Originally Posted by fineout View Post
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19217...r4=recommended

^this one from a couple years ago is a really good read as well
    This guy, based on his article, sounds less like an enthusiast and more like one who feels he is forced to commute on two wheels for financial reasons and hates every second of it.

2WT

really good read, got me laughing a few times thanks

"Oh, and you have to practice in live traffic -- traffic which, again, has admitted to trying to murder you in the name of ill-informed justice. "

"oh, God, what are you doing?! That's first gear; go up, no -- up, man, brake! Shit! Tree!) "

This is all too funny yet scarily very familiar...lol..

Last edited by bonbon76; 05-23-12 at 02:29 PM.
    "B"

"The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure"

It's not "safety gear," it's fucking armor.

Lifer

"For the more nerdily inclined among you, you're probably already getting it: It's not "safety gear," it's fucking armor.

"Riding gear is a full suit of armor that is socially acceptable to wear in public. You walk into a Starbucks wearing your period authentic replica half-plate, and at best you're going to get some impolite stares; at worst, you're going to get a news piece with the headline "Police Fell Local Knight With Bear Mace, Mocking Laughter."

Good stuff!

truncated phrase here trider143's Avatar

Thanks for the laugh (and the pointer)! Made my otherwise long day

Brockway is amazing. His articles have saved me from ending it all more than once at work. He usually writes about ingesting massive amounts of hallucinogens and terrorizing mini golf courses though, haha.

Great read, thanks. I almost skipped it actually, cause I thought it was the "6 things" one with the guy bitching about bugs and dirt. Thought that's not bad either.