Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

50+ Law in Florida, YouTube of Sportbiker Interviews from Fox 13 News in Tampa

50+ Law in Florida, YouTube of Sportbiker Interviews from Fox 13 News in Tampa

Ok, this one I just HAD to share with my ex New England peeps...

So, the local Fox affiliate interviewed some sportbikers I know of through various forums down here for the news one night.

This is really a "must watch" in terms of just how the media focuses in on people saying the dumbest shiat.

2 particular kids state they're just going to run.... lolololol

YouTube - Tampa Bay's Fox 13 Interviews Sportbike Riders on 50+ Law

What I wonder, is if they knew the media already had the story planned as such. Didn't really matter who they interviewed, they'd keep doing it until someone said something stupid anyway. No offense to the sportbiker/squid community (for which I'm proudly a member myself), but not to hard to find some idiot squid saying something stupid...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 50+ Law in Florida, YouTube of Sportbiker Interviews from Fox 13 News in Tampa

that doesn't seem squidly.

if that's the general mentality, then yes, all it's going to do is encourage people to run....

if pre-law punishment is X, and only 75% of people are willing to pull over, post-law punishment being 10X is not going to increase that, it's only going to make it more likely for someone to want to run, because they feel the benefits of running will outweigh the costs of getting caught, which is mathematically correct/logically sound

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

Re: 50+ Law in Florida, YouTube of Sportbiker Interviews from Fox 13 News in Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyGixxer View Post
    No offense to the sportbiker/squid community (for which I'm proudly a member myself)
    With "Gixxer" in your name it assumed

Although I agree it will make more people run, I don't think it will be drastically larger numbers. Just those few who are on the edge of if they would run or not. I do think it will cause more accidents due to increased desperation... If I had 2 tickets and I was looking at a 5k fine with up to 5yr in jail, what's it make a difference if I add felony evading to it I would run too.

I havent watched the video yet but I get the gist...

I'm reluctant to weigh in here because I know a lot of you will take issue. All I really want to say is that those people who treat our wonderful sportbike technology as an entitlement to frighten others on the road with their antics...even if a minority...have brought this kind of legislation upon us.

It really pisses me off that the few can taint the sport for all of us. Remember, everytime you are in mixed company your behavior speaks for us all...

Last edited by DucDave; 05-01-08 at 06:42 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I am trying to work on a small stunt park up here... to give people a place to do it. I have some police support but it will be a LONG process.

The problem is noise and legal issues... plus no one trusts that the "squids"will keep it in the park.

As for the high speed shit. Take it to the track.

Education is key. If they spend some money trying to educate instead of "scare" I think it might go a LONG way!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

well...it didn't take long for the two of us safety nazis to weigh in...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

We are the only ones up this early!

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    well...it didn't take long for the two of us safety nazis to weigh in...
    That was the least safety nazi posts Ive ever seen you two make.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    That was the least safety nazi posts Ive ever seen you two make.
    Nah...you've just become desensitized....

Muhammad Ali.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

I f*ckin hate medias. "Speed bikes"? They made sure to do a big zoom on "Ninja" with those images. And I agree...if cops start chasing sportbikes down highways, it will result in more deaths, not less. They say "we just want to catch a few and send them to jail" you think it's going to proove anything? The rest will still run away. I don't agree with anyone speeding like maniacs on public roads but I do think this new law is dumb as $hit.

And how come this law is only for sportbikes?!!! Isn't there any sport cars who go extreme speeds also?? Can you say discrimination BIG TIME?

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
    And how come this law is only for sportbikes?!!! Isn't there any sport cars who go extreme speeds also?? Can you say discrimination BIG TIME?
    Last Id heard they had to amend it to include cars because of the discrimination claims. Of course, having it as a law and enforcing it is quite a different matter, Im sure theres an unwritten note there that it wont be used on cars nearly as much as bikes.

Zip Tie Alley #505

I just watched the video, and I loved the part where the cop says most of the worst offenders dont pull over anyway. So basically instead of the "worst offenders" youre gonna target essentially the middle of the road, those who have fun now and again and pull over properly. Course, I'm certainly in that group, I never run, but I would definitely think about running in that case. Way to go lawmakers!

Zip Tie Alley #505

Idiot riders are still going to speed no matter what the penalties are. This does nothing to prevent it in my opinion.

So what would prevent it?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Spike strips would slow 'em (the evaders) down!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Only YOU can prevent squidly riders....

Smokey

Muhammad Ali.

Like you mentioned above, ideally I think education would do more good.

All I needed to see was road rash from a 60mph fall to start wearing gear and riding responsible on the street.

But that's just me. I dont know what the answer is to prevent idiots from being idiots.

Well I certainly do not have an all inclusive answer, but I think the direction Massachusetts is taking, that Degs is running, is a much better approach. Assemble a group of riders to discuss how it can be done. Sure it going to take more than just a meeting of 10 riders to find the solution, but its a start in the right direction. I dont know about the rest of you, but when my parents told me not to do something and threatened serious punishment if I did, I just found a way not to get caught. I doubt the mentality has changed much in a lot of people. Rather than make it "cop vs robbers" so to speak, why not start an open dialog with the riders. Do I think this will fix everything, hell no, but cooperation would a lot farther than enforcement. just my .02

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Quote Originally Posted by hammadown View Post
    Well I certainly do not have an all inclusive answer, but I think the direction Massachusetts is taking, that Degs is running, is a much better approach. Assemble a group of riders to discuss how it can be done. Sure it going to take more than just a meeting of 10 riders to find the solution, but its a start in the right direction. I dont know about the rest of you, but when my parents told me not to do something and threatened serious punishment if I did, I just found a way not to get caught. I doubt the mentality has changed much in a lot of people. Rather than make it "cop vs robbers" so to speak, why not start an open dialog with the riders. Do I think this will fix everything, hell no, but cooperation would a lot farther than enforcement. just my .02

Bike night is a great place to try to educate and have an open forum.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Bike night is a great place to try to educate and have an open forum.
    you ever think that if you held it somewhere a little more populated more people would show up?

How about a graduated, step-wise license system?

Start the noob's on 50cc bikes and bump speeding offenders down to a smaller cc bike if they get a speeding ticket. And to encourage safer riding on closed courses, maybe there could be no restriction on size if you just ride at the track. But on the other hand, it increases government intervention/control over what we're allowed to do, and that's never a good thing either.

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post

It really pisses me off that the few can taint the sport for all of us. Remember, everytime you are in mixed company your behavior speaks for us all...
    tough world to live in.

"fuckit!"

I Dance With Will

Education is key. If they spend some money trying to educate instead of "scare" I think it might go a LONG way!
    you go girl!

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    How about a graduated, step-wise license system?

Start the noob's on 50cc bikes and bump speeding offenders down to a smaller cc bike if they get a speeding ticket. And to encourage safer riding on closed courses, maybe there could be no restriction on size if you just ride at the track. But on the other hand, it increases government intervention/control over what we're allowed to do, and that's never a good thing either.
    They do something like this in the UK. I think it's like your first 2 years 250cc or smaller. There is no way you could "bump someone down" though. I am not going to sell my bike because I got "bumped down" nor would I buy a new one. If they did it for bikes they would have to do the same for cars, in which case my roomate would be driving a Ford Pinto. In Maine if you get a speeding ticket in your first year of having your Lic. they just say, ok, give it back. I am not sure what hoops you have to jump through to get another one.

Lifer

I really get the impression these guys in Florida are so far outside the law that stepped licensing won't do crap to keep them off the roads.

If they're riding an unregistered bike with no plates, no drivers license, etc.. and they always run if they see a cop no change to the training/licensing will matter.

Even if you stop the dealerships from legally selling them bikes it's just like guns.. if you're that far outside the law you'll get the bike anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast