Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

600 mile service at the dealership, or do it myself?

When I bought my new bike, the dealership handed me a sheet of all the things they check on the 600 mile service (quite a long list).

I don't have the list in front of me but the things I remember was the oil and oil filter gets changed, they flush the brake fluid, top off radiator coolant, and re-torque all the bolts on the engine, and adjust drive chain.

I was originally going to bring it to the dealership for peace of mind sake. but everyone I've talked to says all they will do is change the oil.

What do you guys think???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

The only thing they do that's important and/or tough to do at home is to check/adjust the steering head bearings.

there's quite a bit to it just like any regular minor service, it takes 1-2 hours if done right, only changing the oil & filter is half ass

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Originally posted by RandyO
    there's quite a bit to it just like any regular minor service, it takes 1-2 hours if done right, only changing the oil & filter is half ass
    Oh I totally agree. The dealership says a 600 mile service is about 2 hours in labor. But the controverisal part is that a lot of people say that the dealerships ONLY change the oil and filter and the rest is bullshit.

I don't know how this stereotype came about on the 600 mile service, but I wanted to hear from other NESR memebers to see if they got their 600 mile service done at a dealership and what the experience was like.

If any of you are familiar with South Shore Motorsports, if you pull up in the back you can hang out there and clearly see into the service bays (as long as the garage door to that bay is up). So my plan is to chill there and watch them and make sure They are doing everything that it suppose to be done.

Ive never had a bad experience with SS Motorsports. Really nice group of guys, and my dad bought a quad there that had some problems, they were warrantying that thing wayyyy past manufac. warranty. There service department seems pretty good too.

alex

Originally posted by 06ZX6R
    Ive never had a bad experience with SS Motorsports. Really nice group of guys, and my dad bought a quad there that had some problems, they were warrantying that thing wayyyy past manufac. warranty. There service department seems pretty good too.

alex
    Cool, good to know!

I know nothing of SSM

when i drop my SV off for service at my local dealer and pick it up in the evening, I can tell they spent some time on it, I drop it off as a rat with 130k miles and pick it up, it feels like a new bike, they pay attention to things like my shift linkage, brake calipers, cables, levers, etc.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Randy remember you and they scooter are now legends

Make sure it is a sunny day so your bike gets the full benefit.

Drain oil
    wipe filter

do some donuts and park it

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

I did mine myself, mostly because I don't have a job right now.

I did it according to the suzuki service manual. It basically says to change oil + replace filter, tighten all bolts + fasteners, and then to inspect and clean, adjust, replace or lubricate as necessary just about everything else. It doesn't say anything about flushing brake fluid.

I've done a lot of business with SSM in the past and I have been very pleased. But I doubt they will change your brake fluid (I don't see how it needs changing after 600 miles). Maybe if you are watching. I'd say if you have the money then you have nothing to lose. It gives you something in writing proving that it was taken care that you can pass on to the next owner if you decide to sell it. Or if you ever need to get something fixed under warrenty it is proof that it was regularly serviced.

Lifer

Torquing the bolts is probably the most important thing they do.

The justification of this service is to find anything wrong with the bike that was missed at the factory.

But serious flaws from the factory should show themselves WAY faster then 600 miles. If the brakes have a problem you should find it immediately, before you even take delivery of the bike. If there is a leak in the system it doesn't take 600 miles for the brakes to get spongy.

Re-torquing the bolts makes sense because if one was not tightened to spec you would not be able to pick that up in your inspection of the bike during delivery. It could then vibrate loose in the first 600 miles.

It all depends on whether or not you trust your dealer, whether you can do it yourself, or if you're just going to ignore it. If you can trust the dealer to do it correctly it's worth having it done.

Banned

My feeling is that everyone should be familiar enough with their bike to know how to check the oil level, check if the brakes are working correctly, throw a wrench/screwdriver on all nuts/bolts/screws, check chain tension, check tire pressure, lights, coolant level, clutch free play etc etc.

If you can't check that stuff yourself, then there's a problem. The only thing that is actually considered 'wrenching' in that list is the oil change, the rest is something a responsible motorcycle owner should do as a matter of safety, every week or so during the season.

At the 600 mile service, the dealer will change the oil and filter and give the bike a brief visual inspection and maybe a test ride, that's it.

If you want someone to really check your bike over from front to back and do an oil change at the same time, PM me and I'll do it for a lot cheaper than a dealer will. You can watch all you want and I'll even supply the sodas and pizza.

Before anyone says it, it is NOT ok for a manufacturer to MAKE you go to a dealer for ANY service. Keep your receipts for oil and filters and your warranty stays intact.

derek

Oh I know how to do all that stuff. Mainly the reason I'm considering the 600 mile and only the 600 mile service to be done at the dealership is for peace of mind and to prevent any flack I might get if I need to bring the bike in for warranty work.

After the 600 mile service I'll be doing any future work myself. It's the best way to know the in's and out's just like you said.

Lifer

Degsy you check the torque on all the bolts multiple times a season?

That's a lot of effort...