Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

starting with my yamaha build this week

starting with my yamaha build this week

quick lil story behind it. 1991 yamaha FZR600, jet kit, vance n hines header back. it has its electrical gremlins, needs a new clutch, and its been down twice. the previous owner attempted to repair some of the problems with his limited mechanical skill. this was my first bike, i love it to death. yes it looks like a piece of shit wrapped in shit, but i had another project that needed attention.

this is how it sits.

any suggestions from the older bike guys, where to grab most of the oem yamaha parts around here (natick area). this will take a while, but im doing what i can with the parts that are off it now. i used to go to Anderson's Cycles in framingham, but i dont think they're at the same place I used to go to years ago.

ill keep it updated as i go.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by RoyalewitCheese; 01-27-11 at 07:21 PM.

Re: starting with my yamaha build this week

Carlton is on Henry st in Framigham. Still has a ton of bikes. Should be fairly easy to re-build the FZR. Yamaha made a million of them, so parts should be very plentiful and cheap.

Those bikes were pains to work on, and the 18" rear wheel limits rubber selection but overall a very good motorcycle.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

This project looks fun! Keep us posted...If you need any help wrenching let me know! I would love to help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya One View Post
    Carlton is on Henry st in Framigham. Still has a ton of bikes. Should be fairly easy to re-build the FZR. Yamaha made a million of them, so parts should be very plentiful and cheap.

Those bikes were pains to work on, and the 18" rear wheel limits rubber selection but overall a very good motorcycle.

ya .. getting new tires was a nightmare

henry st, thanks man. i hope its gonna be pretty straight forward, the more i tear apart the more i beat my head over bench anticipating something worse. just found some wires lying there just twisted together

thanks ray, ill see what really needs to be done when most of the snow kindly moves away from the garage.

I do have a bead blaster if you need some parts cleaned

Getting it running first. Electrical? Yank the harness. Check it out, look for scorches / burns. Replacement should be stupid cheap.

Carbs are a BEAR to deal with in the bike, but clean them up. Gotta be done. Fresh gas, new battery. Fresh oil, new filter, plugs and go.

Hard starter - compression test. Looks for spark to see if coils are firing.

One step at a time, simple diagnosis.

The FZR was a pretty simple machine. Nice to see one coming back to life!

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

My lil' brother picked up one of these for $200. It was a "peice of shit, wrapped in a peice of shit" also. $430 later, it is a fully functioning naked peice of shit. Fun lil' bugger.

2002 RVT1000R
    1998 VFR800Fi
    2002 CR80RB

tell us about the 'vette with the big NOS bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    tell us about the 'vette with the big NOS bottle.

haha i propped my 15lbs bottle against an antifreeze jug to fuck with a couple of friends when i took the picture. they all believed i put a 150 shot on it. that bottle is going into the other piece of shit next to the bike.

update: took both the covers off either side of the motor, and found they were cracked and had been repaired with JB weld, so now i need two replacements.

also went here last night to figure out my fairing situation: was thinking about stock fairings up front with the bug eyes and the R1 tail (this is after I get it running and pick apart all the mechanical and wiring .... a long ways away but it keeps me optimistic) http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...conversion.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JalopySiR View Post
    My lil' brother picked up one of these for $200. It was a "peice of shit, wrapped in a peice of shit" also. $430 later, it is a fully functioning naked peice of shit. Fun lil' bugger.
    its so much fun. if i went with a newer bike id end up fidgeting with it too much because i love having original toys. they look great naked , but I love the style of the bike with full fairings.

I also might have a couple parts kicking around

I have a yellow '95 fzr600

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I also might have a couple parts kicking around

I have a yellow '95 fzr600
    thats awesome, I will have to let you know how my parts situation is.

question for you guys if you don't mind me being captain knowstoolittle. I had an issue, or so I thought i diagnosed it, with the voltage rectifier on my bike. the battery was sulfated after rides of 20-30 minutes, and would be fairly dead after 8-10 rides before i put her away. I didn't think that the stator would be an issue at the time, so I replaced the VR and it seemed to work well without people thinking im cooking a rotten egg omelette as i ride.

should I look into replacing the stator/voltage regulator after I get her to fire up? Im thinking I might have been a complete idiot and fucked up both by charging the bike from a trickle and running it while the battery was pretty much deader than dead.

Last edited by RoyalewitCheese; 01-29-11 at 12:26 PM.

I also apologize for being the first lieutenant for knowstoolittle, but I have read that the design of the earlier FZR600's VR's was junk, and they were prone to failing. A potential remedy for this problem is to replace it with a VR from a newer generation FZR600 (don't quote me, but I believe it's 1994 or newer) or get one from a YZF600.

you want this big sexy, well cooled voltage regulator:

and not this small, rinky dinky, overheating voltage regulator:

I don't know which one you replaced it with, but if that one isn't working either, maybe that will help?

the other thing to consider are:
    -when you say the battery is "fairly dead" after 8-10 rides, does that mean it's suddenly dead? has the bike been sitting for awhile between ride 7 and ride 8? if so, the battery may not be holding a charge, and you may need a new one
    -or does the bike start with more difficulty over time? that could indicate that the battery is not being re-charged while the bike is running, and that could potentially mean the VR (which is also the rectifier) is not working properly and keeping power from the stator from charging the battery. If that's the case, maybe a replacement VR may fix the problem.

and I have a crank w' pistons, and I want it out of my shed. you want it?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 01-29-11 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    I also apologize for being the first lieutenant for knowstoolittle, but I have read that the design of the earlier FZR600's VR's was junk, and they were prone to failing. A potential remedy for this problem is to replace it with a VR from a newer generation FZR600 (don't quote me, but I believe it's 1994 or newer) or get one from a YZF600.

you want this big sexy, well cooled voltage regulator:

and not this small, rinky dinky, overheating voltage regulator:

I don't know which one you replaced it with, but if that one isn't working either, maybe that will help?

the other thing to consider are:
    -when you say the battery is "fairly dead" after 8-10 rides, does that mean it's suddenly dead? has the bike been sitting for awhile between ride 7 and ride 8? if so, the battery may not be holding a charge, and you may need a new one
    -or does the bike start with more difficulty over time? that could indicate that the battery is not being re-charged while the bike is running, and that could potentially mean the VR (which is also the rectifier) is not working properly and keeping power from the stator from charging the battery. If that's the case, maybe a replacement VR may fix the problem.

and I have a crank w' pistons, and I want it out of my shed. you want it?
    Im limited on space as is, thanks for the offer though I appreciate it.

Id ride the bike for those 8-10 runs and it would gradually get harder and harder to turn over as time went on. I was using some crap battery from the Zone to hold me over. I got the OEM replacement from anderson's a while back. It had the bolt on heat sink, which was always wicked hot after a ride. I think I might look into updating the rectifier like you suggested. I had no idea that they were always a problem spot for the fizz. those newer rectifiers are direct connect right, no splicing and matching up newer connections? If im gonna do it, i might as well get one from a yzf600, like a 99+??

thanks for the insight.

here's how it sat before i took it apart .......... i know i know .. young impressionable youth with bad taste

the rear skirts that i spray bombed thinking i was being artistic .. not to be confused with autistic

the tank

ive decided its going to be ONE SOLID COLOR along the lines of these new fairings

back to mechanical/wiring torture before the pipe dream becomes larger

I think your an idiot if you dont just re-use the custom painted fairings that it came with. Those graficks are off the chain yo! You cant get quality work like dat n-e-more... It evn has a Joker on it just like my ill gang symbol!!! Fo' Sheezy My nizzy! Keep dat shit fo real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-Ray View Post
    I think your an idiot if you dont just re-use the custom painted fairings that it came with. Those graficks are off the chain yo! You cant get quality work like dat n-e-more... It evn has a Joker on it just like my ill gang symbol!!! Fo' Sheezy My nizzy! Keep dat shit fo real.

hahahahahahaha .. i should've never posted those up