Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

650 thumpers

Posting Freak

Re: 650 thumpers

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I guess the big DR gets this. I didn't know. I have had this issue with both the DRZ400 and now with a "wide ratio" WR450F. Both have one of three choices; woods gearing with the 21/18 set, highway road gearing with the 17/17 set, or some middle-of-the-road compromise that interchange easily. I've resorted to adding/removing links using 2 masters on the WR.

My next enduro will not convert to SM. It will only run 21/18 wheelsets. Maybe 2 sets; one with dirt biased (ie Dunlop 606's) and one with street biased (ie Shinko 700's).
    I put Shinko 244 on my DR in stock wheel sizes and they were excellent street-biased dual sport tires. Did well in the rain as well. The DR is more of a light adventure bike. To do real dual sporting you have to be comfortable offroad (which I never was). Some of the videos from Australia show these guys do amazing things on the DR650. I liked it's simplicity, reliability and smoothness of the big thumper. It is also easy to modify cheaply (Procycle goodies!). A KTM it will never be and should never be compared.

0 Not allowed!
    Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Chip.. you listening? You have that 790 yet? Howizit?!
    Iím a good listener.
    Itís not here yet. Dealer has not been invoiced yet, so Iím still going with 3+ weeks. Theyíve landed everywhere else though, even as close as Mexico (but not Canada), so timing is...imminent I guess.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The other thing I forgot about the swap, the 320mm rotor caliper bracket wasn't as simple as I had expected. You need to remove the brake pads and clips from the caliper, remove the stock bracket from the caliper, then install the new one. I'm thinking it will probably just be quicker and easier to put the big rotor on the stock wheel. Oh yeah, when I installed the sumo setup, I also installed new pads and a stainless front line. Along with the big rotor = huge increase in braking performance

I also picked up another super cheap front wheel from a guy that had a cracked rim. I'm keeping an eye out for a way to cheaply lace up a 19" front hoop to the hub - tons of positive feedback in the DR world about this combo for all-around riding. I'm thinking:
    21" front = dirt
    19" front = general street, 80/20 tires
    17" front = track days

Bubs, you're welcome to take it for a spin in any or all configurations!

Pic from a quick ride the day after I did the swap. Currently its wearing a white front fender and headlight cowl.
    650 thumpers-79dbf94b-02fe-4861-a9b9-fa9c9ac75fa8

1 Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 05-23-19 at 09:23 AM.
    -Matt

Solid offer. You are not local and I don't get to travel much these days. Truthfully don't get to ride as much as I used to.

The 320mm rotor brake clearance thing is a known supermoto thing. Some gently shave material from the backside of the caliper to clear. I have had success removing the pads and clips as you say.
    My DRZ-400 SM setup had a 310mm rotor. This is the stock size for the DRZ-400SM model and the guy I bought my wheels from had a -SM with the stock brake and fork setup. Some upgrade to a 320mm setup, although I cannot imagine why. The popular hop-up for the DRZ-400S or E models (dirt models) was to go straight to 320mm. Nobody made a caliper bracket to go to 310mm except one dude in Georgia who hand fabricated these things. Supposedly he supplied for SoCal SM school. I managed to get one of his brackets. Why did I go through all this to keep a 310mm rotor and not upgrade to 320? Because the 310mm rotor my wheels came with was a nice Braking brand wave-rotor.

Now that I have the WR setup and have struggled with a 320mm setup I understand how nice the 310 setup was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    It’s not here yet. Dealer has not been invoiced yet, so I’m still going with 3+ weeks. They’ve landed everywhere else though, even as close as Mexico (but not Canada), so timing is...imminent I guess.
    I anxiously await reports of excellence. Living vicariously.

0 Not allowed!

I forgot about the caliper clearance; I did have to file a few mm off the back side of the caliper to clear the supermoto rim.
    But I was talking about the caliper spacer bracket, it’s not a simple piece with 2 pairs of offset holes. There’s a lot more involved: DR650 320 mm Brake Rotor Instructions - ProCycle

0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by brentjgordon View Post
    dont tell anyone but ive heard that the q1986 honda helix with a big comfy seat lotsa storage is a great around the city and country even if your wearing a disguise so noone recognizez me ...i mean you....
    I don't know how this one slipped by, but it was funny. Welcome to New England BTW.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

I’m a good listener.
    It’s not here yet. Dealer has not been invoiced yet, so I’m still going with 3+ weeks. They’ve landed everywhere else though, even as close as Mexico (but not Canada), so timing is...imminent I guess.
    There are 3-4 of them running at LRRS. So far, they have not blown the doors off the SV, but reports are that they are mega torquey wheelie machines.

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Yeah. I was thinking about filing for changes between rain and dry wheels (I have 2 SM sets) for racing. Does not apply for SM <=> dirt changes as you have to swap the spacer as well. You are right.
    My DZR had a bracket that fit between the stock caliper bracket and the forks. So it was easier, did not have to remove pads at all.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    There are 3-4 of them running at LRRS. So far, they have not blown the doors off the SV, but reports are that they are mega torquey wheelie machines.
    Which surprises me, with the dyno and weight numbers that were being tossed around original, and Moto America's test results keeping them out of the twins class I figured they'd be a class changer.

0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel / Warp9 Racing
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Dukes.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Dukes.
    Yeah. Correct. No adv bikes. I haven't seen one yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Unless you’re mike lafferty, or one of the dudes that won some qualifier and got to ride one in Morocco, nobody has in the states.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I’m a good listener.
    Someone posted the approved CARB app on advrider recently!

(Forgive me if I’m pulling a g-man and posting the obvious here.)

0 Not allowed!

Someone posted the approved CARB app on advrider recently!

(Forgive me if I’m pulling a g-man and posting the obvious here.)
    You left out the humble brag.
    Somebody also posted a 690e with the cyclops rally kit over there, and it looks fucking tasty too. And there’s a few really decked out 950 super enduros too for sale.
    I’m waiting until I see it in person to pounce, obviously, but I’m getting antsy, I’ll admit.

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

You guys need to ether buy a 650 dinosaur or take your George Jetson-cycle talk and GTFO of this thread.

2 Not allowed!
    -Matt

Somebody also posted a 690e with the cyclops rally kit over there, and it looks fucking tasty too. And there’s a few really decked out 950 super enduros too for sale.
    I’m waiting until I see it in person to pounce, obviously, but I’m getting antsy, I’ll admit.
    Any of this local?
    950 SE.. What a way to kill ones self.

0 Not allowed!

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 05-27-19 at 01:18 PM.

0 Not allowed!

Lifer

How many miles do u think a klr650 engine is good for before major service

0 Not allowed!

Or until you get sick of the thing. Whichever comes first

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    How many miles do u think a klr650 engine is good for before major service
    Like, a lot. I remember researching it when I was getting mine and 60k seems like a reasonable bet before it needs a little head work. Bottom end probably good over 100k.

0 Not allowed!

I'm guessing a CB500X w/RR conversion is probably too heavy?

0 Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

For what?

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

yes too heavy and insufficient ground clearance for gnarly dirt bike duty

Fine for fire roads and more slab than dirt

0 Not allowed!

Not a 650 thumper, but seems like a good deal on an Austrian ADV machine that’s local. Bubs?
    For sale - 2006 KTM 950 Adventure S $3900 New England | Adventure Rider

1 Not allowed!
    -Matt

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast