Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

80/20 ADV tires

Re: 80/20 ADV tires

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Given the price
    are the really less expensive.... don't forget the cost of mounting

a $100 tire that lasts 5000 miles is more expensive than a $175 tire that lasts 8000 miles when you add in mounting cost

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post

a $100 tire that lasts 5000 miles is more expensive than a $175 tire that lasts 8000 miles when you add in mounting cost
    Not if you spoon it on yourself.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Not if you spoon it on yourself.
    only of you consider your time worthless, personally my time is worth more than what a dealer charges

RandyO
    IBA#9560

only of you consider your time worthless, personally my time is worth more than what a dealer charges
    Priorities.

I'll take 45 minutes of my time to throw a new tire on vs. going to a dealer, waiting and then cutting a check. Time cost is roughly the same. Total cost isn't.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Are you fishing for the "my time is worth more than that" comment again?

Don't go fishing. Just let it be.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, he already used it.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Considering I started this. Here is my position on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm getting pretty good at swapping tires myself. I guess I shouldn't be sweating tread wear so bad.. especially if the $ is reasonable.
    This thread has reasonably run its course. I have a short list of tires I'll be looking at. So lets feed the beast, shall we?

Randy, are you accounting for the substantial dealer markup on the tires, then your (seemingly premium quality) time getting the machine to and from the dealer? And then are you keeping some reserve for when that incompetent dealer fucks up your stuff?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Considering I started this. Here is my position on this subject.

This thread has reasonably run its course. I have a short list of tires I'll be looking at. So lets feed the beast, shall we?

Randy, are you accounting for the substantial dealer markup on the tires, then your (seemingly premium quality) time getting the machine to and from the dealer? And then are you keeping some reserve for when that incompetent dealer fucks up your stuff?
    I get tires from RMS for competitive prices (my last tire purchase was a set of Mitas E07 Dakars for $300 mounted on the bike, not just on the wheels), IF they can't compete, they are happy to mount tires I bring them, no extra time to get my bike to dealer, if is is inconvenient for me (meaning I'm not going that way anyway) they come to my house and pick it up

yes, I am aware that not everybody has the same relationship with their local dealer that I do, however I didn't always have that relationship, and would never have it if I did my own work

I wouldn't have got the deal I did when I bought my V-strom, and I wouldn't have been rescued by them on the road when it really counted, and more importantly, they wouldn't have gone to bat for me with Suzuki NA when my wire harness became cancerous due to my winter riding habits

what goes around comes around, you don't support your dealer and badmouth them, you really think they are going to go out of their way to help you out when you need it ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I got a guy for $30 per tire on the bike, $20 off the bike!

don't really wanna get another tire so quickly...but I literally shredded through the Tourance in just over 3,000 miles...like down to the cords

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

It takes me less than an hour to change a tire myself, and that's if I take my time doing it, for tubed tires -- less for tubeless. If I were to have a shop do it, I would still have to take the time to pull the wheel (unless I want to pay the exorbitant shop cost of having them pull the wheel), drive the wheel to the shop (at least 1/2 hour), wait around till they get around to changing it for me (or drop it off and have to go back and pick it up later), drive it back home, remount it on the bike. Suddenly what I could have done myself for free in an hour has cost me $30 or whatever and 2+ hours of my time. Kind of a no brainer.

And Colin, by the way, something I forgot to mention earlier about the Full Bore rear -- my mileage figures are all running tubes. The reason I pulled my wheel last week before the tire was totally spent was that I converted it to tubeless using the Outex kit, so I'll be curious to see if running tubeless reduces wear. In theory it should since the tire won't heat up as much.

--mark

'17 KTM 1090 Adventure R / '16 Honda Africa Twin (for sale) / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L (for sale) / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, June 1-3, 2018

Lifer

No one mentioned the Pirelli MT90. As an 80/20 tire, it should last some miles given that it was designed for the bigger machines. I don't have personal experience with this tire, but read lots of good reviews. They are not cheap, but may last twice as long as the Shinko's and maybe worth it cost wise

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Looks like the Pirelli MT90 is not available in v-strom sizes. (110/80R19 & 150/70R17)
    Looks like it is targeted at the smaller, real dual-sports in 21/18 sizes.

Lifer

Looks like the Pirelli MT90 is not available in v-strom sizes. (110/80R19 & 150/70R17)
    Looks like it is targeted at the smaller, real dual-sports in 21/18 sizes.
    That explains it...It was standard on the big KTM adventures, but I guess the tire sizes are different.

Street Triple R, Ducati Scrambler Icon, Monster 1100evo, VFR, CRF250L/M, CRF230L

Ah, okay. Yeah, many of those were 21/18. Africa Twin too. Won't work with my V-Strom or a Tiger 800 roadie for example.

Yeah, the MT90 came standard on the KTM 990 Adventure. I ran an MT90 rear (with a slightly more aggressive Shinko 700 front) on my Africa Twin on the Trans-Labrador Highway last fall and loved it. But unfortunately not available in 19/17 sizes. And by the way, it doesn't last any longer.

That said, the Full Bore is very similar in performance.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 05-16-17 at 12:32 PM.

I'm a fan of tourances and regularly get 10k outta them.
    Great wet tire, sticks like a runny shite to a wool blanket
    I got a heidanau on my gs1200 right now and like it a lot
    seems to wear well and looks like it'll last a long time

eat me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12