Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

87 Yamaha fz700 rear tire

Question 87 Yamaha fz700 rear tire

I have a 1087 Yamaha fz700 and I was wondering if I can put a wider tire on it? Any suggestions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: 87 Yamaha fz700 rear tire

I dont think so. I had one years ago and i think stock was about as wide as you could go. Besides putting on wider tires usually hurts handling of the bike, especially those older bikes that dont have great handling to begin with.

When I first got back into riding after a 13 year break, I'd bought a 1990 Suzuki Katana. It carried a 150/70-17 rear. Everyone else had 180/55's, so of course I also wanted wider tire. Bigger must be better, right?

What I learned is that I spent more money than I had to, got a 160 that was so much bigger than the stock 150 that only I noticed it, and the bike didn't work any better because it was ME who needed work not the bike.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

I'm just worried if I take a corner too fast it's gonna come out. I'm not used to skinny tires

Perhaps...you need rider training and experience, rather than a wider tire?

I've never hear of a skinny tire "come out", whatever that means. And the stock tires on that bike aren't skinny at all, btw.

There's far more grip in cornering skill and technique than there is in a contact patch measurement. You just wait til an olde farte on a true skinny-tired old BMW goes around you...in the rain, like you were parked. Then you'll start to understand.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SprintPoser; 05-21-12 at 10:17 AM.
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Lifer

As long as your tires are in good shape and at most a few years old youll be fine. Narrow tires are fun to turn on since they flick around so quickly.

When it comes to tire grip a stickier compound give an imensely higher return than a wider tire. Wider tires only realy have an advantage when you are loading them up, powering out of turns etc. Other wise there is going to be very little difference in the size of your contact patch. The only reason to really move up in tire size for your application is if you can get a much better tire by moving up a size. When I had my fzr, it came with a 140/70 from the factory. I ended up with a 150/60 because that size allowed me to run a bt014, which I LOVED by the way, instead of being stuck with a bias ply, or touring tire.
    If you really want your question answered though check out a yamaha forum, like www.fzronline.com there are alot of good guys there and alot with older bikes.

how big is it stock, and how wide do you want to go?

and as others have stated, the wider you go, the more you have to muscle the thing into turns

Idk the exact size but it looks like a damn dirt bike tire. I like the size from like an 06 r6

I hear I can put the rear tire and rim off like a 89 yzf 600 but the rims won't match

I'm not a very experienced motorcyclist, but in my opinion, wheel swaps and tricks are NOT financially worth it on old bikes...you'll spend a ton to look a little bit better, but still have an old bike

keep it stock, ride it until the wheels fall off, then get an '06 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Barrym View Post
    I hear I can put the rear tire and rim off like a 89 yzf 600 but the rims won't match
    That may be rather difficutl to find considering there was no such thing as a yzf 600 till 95.

Seriously dude just ride the damn bike and learn how to corner. Right now your skill level is nowhere near the level where you will over whelm the abilities of a properly functioning bike. Even an old one.