Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AAA donating $2 for each battery turned in

AAA donating $2 for each battery turned in

Just FYI
    From AAA press release:

Wanted: Old Vehicle Batteries

They can contaminate soil and groundwater, explode in fire and become a source of lead poisoning to people and animals.
    There’s no question old automotive batteries are among the most potentially harmful items to be thrown away, and each year, Americans improperly dispose of more than 7 million of them – in some cases, illegally.
    “If the batteries aren’t getting recycled, somebody’s dumping them somewhere, and the acids could leach into the ground and water,” said Roy Carlson, AAA Southern New England Automotive Services Director.
    To help prevent that, AAA is hosting its annual Great Battery Roundup. The April 19 event runs from 9:30 a.m. to noon and allows motorists to dispose of old automotive and boat batteries sitting in forgotten corners of their properties.
    Members also can have their current batteries tested for free.
    Used batteries, which contain lead and sulfuric acid, are safely shipped to a recycling center and sorted into different parts.
    The plastic can be recycled and made into many products, including furniture, paint trays, car parts, drainpipes and more cases for car batteries. The lead is melted to make products such as more car batteries, guttering and shields for X-ray machines. And the acid is treated and neutralized, and the distilled water is purified and used again.
    AAA advises everyone to exercise care when handling and disposing used batteries and other vehicle-maintenance products. With batteries, wear gloves and safety glasses. Do not smoke near them or expose them to open flame.
    Keep batteries upright: Place them in a cardboard box or plastic container when transporting them for recycling. Choose a leak-proof container if the battery case is cracked or leaking. Ensure they are secure and will not shift and tip over in a moving vehicle.
    AAA Southern New England collected 2,013 batteries during the 2007 Roundup. For each battery turned in this year, the Club will donate $2 to Save the Harbor/Save the Bay.

Collection points will be set up at:

• AAA’s Providence Headquarters, Cranston branch and the East Providence and South Attleboro Automotive Centers
    • AAA’s Automotive Centers in South Attleboro
    • AAA’s offices in Leominster and Worcester
    • East Providence and Dave’s Tire in Fall River.
    • Parente’s Service Center in Hudson
    • Granite Gulf in Milford
    • Riggio’s Auto Repair in Bedford
    • Mel’s Automotive in Everett
    • Henry’s Towing Service in Framingham
    • Tally’s Truck Center in Gloucester
    • Price Towing in Salem
    • Franklin Auto Transport in Stoneham
    • Arto’s Service Station in Watertown.
    • Bellingham Parts Plus Inc. in Bellingham
    • Assured Collision Inc. in Walpole.
    • Abington Sunoco in Abington
    • Mag’s Towing and George’s Service in Brockton
    • Harbour Chevrolet in Falmouth
    • Marshfield Tire in Marshfield
    • Mayflower Service in Plymouth
    • Route 134 Autocare in South Dennis
    • Mulzer’s Car Care in North Kingstown
    • Newport Tire in Newport. orb

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR

I Dance With Will

Re: AAA donating $2 for each battery turned in

they poison? really?

i used to have warts. i would cut it till bleed and pour the acid on. wart gone! im still alive.

"fuckit!"

ahhh, Kham. Now that explains alot about you!

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

I Dance With Will

result of experimental science gone wrong short of x-men.

"fuckit!"

Thanks for posting this Akira!!

I have like three old car batteries sitting in the corner of my cellar -- inherited when I bought my house -- that I've been meaning to get rid of forever, but I've been too cheap/lazy to pay the recycling fee. I think one of the batteries is from the 1950's or something.

Now I just need to wait for AAA to sponsor a "huge cast iron printing press from the 19th century" roundup, I have two of those.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post

Now I just need to wait for AAA to sponsor a "huge cast iron printing press from the 19th century" roundup, I have two of those.

Yeah, could be worth money as scrap metal! I have an old coal fired cast iron stove must weigh over 500 lbs. The junk man who was supposed to clear the house when I bought it said something like "hey, that could be worth some money". You know if it was worth money he woulda kept his damn mouth shut and taken it! Smart man. He just didnt want to take it as was stipulated in the mortgage papers. I, on cue, said "oh, I'll keep it". Its been down there 12 years now acting as oddly shaped work table.

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

There has to be a stove collector somewhere. Put that thing on eBay for sh** and giggles.

I have an old bike battery. Problem is the collection points are all on the other side of the state.

With the price of lead nowadays, a car battery is probably worth $15 in scrap at a scrapyard. Hell I used to cash them in all the time when I was in my late teens and early 20s for $4 each...and that was 15 years ago

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    With the price of lead nowadays, a car battery is probably worth $15 in scrap at a scrapyard. Hell I used to cash them in all the time when I was in my late teens and early 20s for $4 each...and that was 15 years ago
    when i was in baltimore/dc we were gettin 8$ each a battery, but these were 80lb deep cycle batteries. i should of kept the damn things they are worth a ton to the green freaks

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by akira700
    I have an old coal fired cast iron stove must weigh over 500 lbs.
    You guys need some oxy-acetylene torches to cut those bad boys up.......Hey! I have some oxy-acetylene torches!! Maybe we could all work something out...

Smile Re: AAA donating $2 for each battery turned in

I have like three old car batteries sitting in the corner of my cellar -- inherited when I bought my house -- that I've been meaning to get rid of forever, but I've been too cheap/lazy to pay the recycling fee. I think one of the batteries is from the 1950's or something.

cast iron is bringing good money right now would be worth scrapping it .I wouldn't be surprised if you made enough for a track day or 2

Wow thanks all for that info, I've never sold stuff to a scrap yard before. I guess I've always thought that since old batteries were hazardous materials it cost more to make them unhazardous than their lead value was worth. I'll call around and see what folks are offering.

I've thought about busting up those printing presses but I think I'd feel too guilty as they're still functional and someone might get some use out of them. The real challenge is getting them out of my cellar, need to rent or build some kind of serious crane around my bulkhead.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post

+1
    I scrapped a bunch of batteries last fall, a half dozen car batteries and as many motorcycle batteries, got a little over $100

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

need to rent or build some kind of serious crane around my bulkhead.
    just get 4 guys to lift it

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I work for AAA of Merrimack Valley and worked the program Saturday- We actually collected over 600 batteries, alot less than the almost 2,000 last year, I guess alot of people are probably recycling themselves as the salvage yards are giving sometimes $10 for them. We actually get $10 for them from the recycler we go to and we dontate 100% of the proceeds to an Earth friendly cause. It was a great day and couldn't have asked for better weather.

2007 GSXR-750