Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Accident help

Accident help

So iv just had my first bike accident, and my insurance company is giving me a hard time about whether or not my helmet and gear are covered in the event of an accident. I cant imagine these things wouldnt be covered... but they seem to not be interested in compensating me for them. My Bike is already Totaled and the check will be on its way soon, any suggestions on how i can get the rest of my gear covered? or what i should be trying to get done in the mean time?
    (This is my first Rodeo)
    Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Re: Accident help

Does your Insurance paperwork say it covers gear?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Also, they've already cut you a check? How did they do on giving you what you deserve in terms of pricing? I know with my accident I went through 3 or 4 offers from the ins co before we finally reached an appropriate payout.

I believe gear is always covered. Just demand it. You'll get it. They try to pull the wool over your eyes at every turn. BASTARDS. Insurance is like organized crime.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Also, they've already cut you a check? How did they do on giving you what you deserve in terms of pricing? I know with my accident I went through 3 or 4 offers from the ins co before we finally reached an appropriate payout.
    +1 There is a certain amount of "haggling" that you should do with the ins. co.

Hyper

Lifer

I'm very inexperienced with this so I'm sure some others will have more valuable info but because it hasn't been said yet: Pretty sure cashing the check constitutes acceptance. So don't be in any hurry to put it in the bank until you're satisfied with the outcome.

Did the gear do it's job?

nedirtriders.com

Yes the gear did its job. pretty banged up in the legs (was wearing jeans) but the rest of me fared well. The check has not reached me yet, so im not sure what the amount is going to be. I was told by the bike adjuster that my gear will be covered seperately from the bike if at all..
    my insurance project offers multiple plans.. many of which cover gear as well as the bike. My own insurance policy is the best they offer (as was mandatory because there is a loan on the bike).
    Even with that knowledge, so far all my adjusters have been telling me "im not the motorcycle expert, i dont know how the gear is covered"
    It surprises me that i have to deal with that when they do insure motorcycles...

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

If they are sending you a check without telling you the amount, I would be willing to bet it is a low amount and they are hoping that having that check in your hands will urge you to just deposit it and wipe your hands clean of the incident.

For reference, when I was hit on my TLR, they initially said "Ok, check will be sent out today."

Me: "For what amount"

Them: "$3,900, that is what we see the value as."

Weeks later and after a great deal of arguiing with plenty of people who had no idea what they were talking about when it came to bikes, I had a check in my hands just north of $6k

Mass Auto Policy covers the vehicle only.
    It will be up to you own insurance company if they decide to cover the gear or not. Some companies offer an endorsement to cover gear.

My bike(2009 ex500d) is blue booked at 3250.. but that is based on yearly mileage. This bike only has 3500 miles on it, and was very well kept. Should i be fighting for more than that? or that amount exactly?

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Lifer

Good points from others here. One more semi-obvious point is that if the settlement from the insurer is less than you owe the bank, you still owe the bank the difference.

If you bought the insurance through an agent, deal with them. I agree that gear would likely be an add-on endorsement.

If you don't mind, which insurer is this, and was it a single vehicle accident?

FWIW, I never added gear to my policies and It was covered when Lisa and I got hit. We got retail prices for all the gear. Ooooh, were you at fault in this accident? That's a different story...

Paul_E_D

I'd put money on them telling you the gear's covered under your homeowner's policy or some shit. They pulled that shit with me years ago. I fought 'em tooth & nail and got the helmet replaced & my leathers repaired on their dime. I use a local agent and I hounded the fuck outta THEM when their national claimes dep't weren't playing nice. They actually stepped up for me big time in the whole mess too...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

was your helmet and gear with your bike when the adjuster looked at the bike ? NO, then don't expect it to be covered if they didn't see the damage

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Were you hit ? I got my gear covered from the other operators insurance. I also did the haggle with mine for replacement value for my bike. I had print out's showing replacement bikes ( same year, model, approx miles ) in my area.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

From the Mass auto policy under collision coverage. This language is identical in every Mass policy. Only endorsements on your policy could cover gear or if your company decides to cover it as a customer service. Or you could file a claim under the at fault party's(if there is one) property damage coverage of their policy.

Part 7. Under this Part, we will pay for any direct and accidental damage to your auto
    Collision caused by a collision. We will also pay for collision damage to other private
    passenger autos while being used by you or a household member with the
    consent of the owner. It does not matter who is at fault. We will pay the cost to
    physically repair the auto or any of its parts up to the actual cash value of the
    auto or any of its parts at the time of the collision. The most we will pay will be
    either the actual cash value of the auto or the cost to physically repair the auto,
    whichever is less. We will, at our option, repair the auto, repair or replace any of
    its parts, or declare the auto a total loss. If the repair of a damaged part will
    impair the operational safety of the auto we will replace the part.
    In all cases we will subtract the deductible amount you selected. Unless you
    selected a different amount, the law sets your deductible at $500. Your
    deductible is shown on the Coverage Selections Page.

We will not pay for damage to any auto which is owned or regularly used by you
    or a household member unless a premium for this Part is shown for that auto on
    the Coverage Selections Page. We will not pay if an accident occurs while an
    auto covered under this Part is being operated in any prearranged of organized
    racing speed, stunting or demolition contest or activity or in practice or
    preparation for any such contest or activity.

Last edited by McBiggity; 05-22-12 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I'd put money on them telling you the gear's covered under your homeowner's policy or some shit. They pulled that shit with me years ago. I fought 'em tooth & nail and got the helmet replaced & my leathers repaired on their dime. I use a local agent and I hounded the fuck outta THEM when their national claimes dep't weren't playing nice. They actually stepped up for me big time in the whole mess too...
    This is precisely what I was told when I made a claim to State Farm. I didn't bother to fight, though maybe I should have. Since I have a $500 deductible for my homeowner's policy, it was not worth it to make an additional claim.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

State Farm (In Maine) covered my wife's helmet without them or an adjuster seeing it, just had to produce a receipt.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Fucking insurance companies ....all criminals. I bet the less they pay you the higher their bonuses are.

Haha. Yeah. That's exactly how it works.

Wirelessly posted

Pay us for a service that you can't refuse, and we'll pay someone to deny you that service. It is EXTORTION.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    State Farm (In Maine) covered my wife's helmet without them or an adjuster seeing it, just had to produce a receipt.
    I ended up having to get three 'quotes' to replace my helmet, and they averaged the price to determine their payout. Motorcycel shops were very eager to provide me with 'generous' replacement quotes...

The majority of the problems are with people not knowing what their insurance does and does not cover. You need to have a good talk with your agent to go over the entire policy so you don't get unrealistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    The majority of the problems are with people not knowing what their insurance does and does not cover. You need to have a good talk with your agent to go over the entire policy so you don't get unrealistic expectations.
    Actually, you should do this with EVERY policy you have. Top to bottom, front to back. You should be accutely aware of what each & every policy you carry covers, doesn't cover, what gets replaced and by what method they use to determine such things. Homeowners/renters plicies, bike, cars, boats, life insurance, ALL of 'em!

Yeah, yeah. Shut it!

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast