Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Action Cameras

Short bus rider

Action Cameras

What do you use?
    Why do you use it, is it for daily ridding, track days or race?
    Where do you mount it and why do you mount it there?
    Do you use multiple cameras?
    How much did you pay for your whole setup?
    How long will your battery last and how much time in memory do you use?
    Are some cameras better than others and are some just junk?
    Also I have a MAC would some cameras be better with a Mac than a Windows CPU?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Teamdineen; 11-19-16 at 07:34 PM.

Re: Action Cameras

GoPro Hero3+ Black. Chin mount on helmet, least vibration best view (but learned at Palmer helmet cams not allowed)

For sweet exhaust notes, a Tascam DR-40 mounted in the tail w/ dead cat. Mics: Audio Technica AT831R + Sony ECM-ES3 for engine/voice

For insane 1080p @ 120FPS video I'm looking at a Sony FDR-X1000V

For solid 1080p @ 60FPS, seen a lot of people recommend the DBPOWER or Elephone Explorer 4K "knockoff" China action cams for around $50-60.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Teamdineen View Post
    What do you use? Contour ROAM, I have 2 now, a '1' and what I think is a '2'. There is a '3' out now.
    Why do you use it, is it for daily ridding, track days or race? I've used it for daily riding (boring footage), track days, racing, MX and dirt. I use it because it works, was affordable ($90 @ Amazon) and is nearly indestructible.
    Where do you mount it and why do you mount it there? Helmet. Triple clamps. Random RAM mounts. And even double sided taped to fenders. Always looking for the coolest angles.
    Do you use multiple cameras? I have, yes. I broke the 1/4-20 threaded mount on the first camera in a 90+ MPH crash racing. Bought a new one to replace it, yet the old camera works, so it gets used as a backup using other mounts.
    How much did you pay for your whole setup? $90/ea. Although I may have gotten a better deal on one of them around the holidays. Can't remember now.
    How long will your battery last and how much time in memory do you use? No idea. Usually long enough. Did run into problems with one dying mid-ride recently. Not sure what's up with that.
    Are some cameras better than others and are some just junk? Yes. Of course. It's like anything else in this world.
    Also I have a MAC would some cameras be better with a Mac than a Windows CPU? Macs and commodity PCs that run Windows have run the same CPUs since sometime around 2006. Both work about the same with any camera. Some software is better than others. Both platforms are perfectly capable of editing. It is my opinion that the cat driving the editor makes or breaks the videos, not the camera or the software or the system doing the editing.

GoPro Hero 2. Used it a lot when I first got it. Mixed between helmet chin mount and handlebar mount between the clamps. I found footage from the chin mount to be less dramatic than handlebar mount because I ride a naked SV650 and when I hang off, the viewer loses all reference to the bike in the shot and you don't have any idea what kind of lean angles are happening or anything. Plus, the extra weight hanging off the front of my helmet was tiring by the end of the day.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

huh...all these questions could alternatively be answered by an adult film director

who's got the comedy bone and can take a shot?

Last edited by breakdirt916; 11-19-16 at 10:43 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

hmm, i confuse ... is this marketing research? i like Contour, had many, still enjoy for all sport. Dear, Contour, make lighter product and i buy now. thank you. _user

Beta 200RR

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i have a contour and a go pro. ive yet to even take the go pro out of the box and its been 2 years. the contour just works so easily. i should really spend some time with the go pro though and figure it out

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I have a Contour that is a few years old now. Currently having battery issues where I fully charge it then it dies 20min into a ride. AFAIK the battery is not replaceable. Looking at getting the GoPro Hero 5 Session as its low-light recording is supposed to be top-notch. I record primarily for commuting purposes twice a day, 5 days a week. I want to be able to read license plates for liability reasons. I'll also use it for other adventurous activities - likely with a helmet mount.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I have a Contour that is a few years old now. Currently having battery issues where I fully charge it then it dies 20min into a ride. AFAIK the battery is not replaceable. Looking at getting the GoPro Hero 5 Session as its low-light recording is supposed to be top-notch. I record primarily for commuting purposes twice a day, 5 days a week. I want to be able to read license plates for liability reasons. I'll also use it for other adventurous activities - likely with a helmet mount.
    i think SONY is very similar to Contour but with a benefit or removable/replaceable battery. I dislike the teletubby look of a gopro on the top of the helmet.