Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Adjusting to riding with proper boots

Adjusting to riding with proper boots

I picked up a set of Alpinestars Recon boots, and so far I love them. They're very comfortable, and today in 60* or so weather my feet were actually chilly, so I think they'll be decent in warmer weather.

The issue is that my shifting is sloppy as hell. I'm used to riding in hiking boots, and the reinforced toe plus overall bigger-size of the boots is making me miss shifts all over the place. The shift lever doesn't seem to want to stick out far enough over my toe, and the gap between the peg and the lever feels smaller now so I really have to focus on getting my foot back on the peg and under the shifter.

For some reason, I almost always miss the 2-3 shift, but up from there is fine.

Question is: Is this normal, and I just need to get used to it? Is there a way to widen the gap a bit between the shift lever and the peg? I swear even about a 1/4 inch extra space there would make it easier to get my foot back on the peg and under the lever, and if the part of the lever that actually connects with your toe was 1/2" longer, that'd be even better.

Are custom rearsets the way to go?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Re: Adjusting to riding with proper boots

After market rearsets would probably help, but your main issue is getting used to the new toe of the boot. You could try swaping to gp shift. That might help out since your pressing down to upshift and you wont have to get your toe under the lever. When youre down shifting you can concentrate more on getting the shift since the chances are youre slowing down and you in a less aggressive position.

James

Maybe adjust the shift lever height a little bit. Most aftermarket rearsets don't have a shifter length adjustment unless they do and I never noticed when I was in the market for some. Your new boots are stiff too so they will break in too.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Just shift a little slower and more deliberately until you get used to the new boots...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    Maybe adjust the shift lever height a little bit. Most aftermarket rearsets don't have a shifter length adjustment unless they do and I never noticed when I was in the market for some. Your new boots are stiff too so they will break in too.
    Hah, I didn't even know it was adjustable. Thanks man. I think if I can move it up a small bit I'll be in good shape.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post

you can adjust the length on ANY shifter

on my SV, I found the shifter way too short, a quick trip to a local metal fabticator and $35 later, I had a shifter that was 1½ inches longer to accomodated boots required for winter riding

they cut my stock shifter in half, welded in a short piece of aluminum stock, ground it and buffed it, you couldn't tell the difference between the oem shifter other than the length

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON