Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thoughts on adventure/ST bikes

Re: Thoughts on adventure/ST bikes

My number 1 recommendation which of course sounds obvious and dooshy:

RIDE them.

I was enamored with the Tiger 800. Then I rode one.

I'd be damn sure to demo or borrow any bike I'm looking to drop $15k on before committing to it.

Should be easy enough with the resources here to try out an 1190, a Africa Twin (when they come finally), a Tiger, etc.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That and the wonky handling. The high cost. The non-adjustable suspension. The sparse dealer network. The euro price point on parts and accessories. And the dropped valves on the Explorers.
    Oh come on, Colin, you've just convinced yourself you don't like the Tiger and are searching for supporting reasons.

What wonky handling are you talking about? My XC handles awesome.

What high cost? It's similar to anything else in its class. Is it pricey compared to a Wee-Strom? Sure, but it's a much better bike. Remember I used to own a Wee-Strom.

Non-adjustable suspension? The XCx has adjustable suspension at both ends. My XC has a preload/rebound adjustable shock, and the forks are so well dialed that I wouldn't make any adjustments to them even if I could.

Sparse dealer network? Well, yes, that's true, but no worse than the other Euro brands.

Price point on parts/accessories? I haven't needed anything that's pricier than the Japanese brands.

Dropped valves on Explorers? Yes, that has been an issue on some bikes, but it's completely irrelevant to a Tiger 800 discussion because it's a different model with a different motor. And note that when it happened to Kenn, Triumph took care of it.

As for the subframe that began this subthread, it's something a lot of people seem to love bitching about, but in practice it's rarely been an issue. If you crash badly enough to fuck the Tiger's subframe, you're going to destroy a lot more of the bike too. Also, the R1200GS has had both welded-on subframe and welded-on pillion footpeg hangers all along, and no one ever seems to complain about those...

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I think that's one of the beauties of the DL650 and the like; they are inexpensive enough that expectations are kept low. It's just a bike and that's fine for what is invested. You can throw some $ at it in strategic places to make it more your thing, but you don't start that far in the hole, comparatively. Same for my DRZ. (Used DRZ. New the DRZ is the ripoff of the century!)

Conversely if you drop $20k on a brand new 1200GS, it better be way fucking better than "just a bike". It better polish your knob as you ride. Sadly I am enough of a cynic to believe that most of these are basically just a bike. None are universally better and none are universally worse.

I've ridden motorcycles that actually suck. None of these bikes actually suck.

I rented a Tiger 800 for a week in CA a couple years back. I fully expected to fly home and go directly to my nearest Triumph dealership and pay whatever they asked while muttering "fuck it, I want it". .. Was a bit of a reality smack to learn it was just another bike. $13,000 for this?! Meh.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think that's one of the beauties of the DL650 and the like; they are inexpensive enough that expectations are kept low. It's just a bike and that's fine for what is invested. You can throw some $ at it in strategic places to make it more your thing, but you don't start that far in the hole, comparatively. Same for my DRZ. (Used DRZ. New the DRZ is the ripoff of the century!)

Conversely if you drop $20k on a brand new 1200GS, it better be way fucking better than "just a bike". It better polish your knob as you ride. Sadly I am enough of a cynic to believe that most of these are basically just a bike. None are universally better and none are universally worse.

I've ridden motorcycles that actually suck. None of these bikes actually suck.

I rented a Tiger 800 for a week in CA a couple years back. I fully expected to fly home and go directly to my nearest Triumph dealership and pay whatever they asked while muttering "fuck it, I want it". .. Was a bit of a reality smack to learn it was just another bike. $13,000 for this?! Meh.

Similar experience with the Tiger for me. Nothing about it made me tingle. Engine was meh, brakes were meh, suspension was meh. I already have an abundance of meh with my DL.

Only bike I ever rode that was like "OH, ok, I get it now" was the Roundel GS-Adventure. And that was a 2004 1150. Not great enough to spend that kinda $$$ on, but I'll be damned if it didn't ride like a cloud.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Oh come on, Colin, you've just convinced yourself you don't like the Tiger and are searching for supporting reasons.
    Just as you, an early adopter and organizer of a Triumph themed get-together, has convinced himself the Tiger is the bees knees.

We all have our things. I stand by my gripes with the Tiger. It is not a class killer and not the be-all of motorcycling. No different than any other model mentioned here.

Stop scoffing so hard at everything not Triumph. The rest are really great bikes. The emperor isn't buck naked, but he is still wearing pretty much the same rags as the rest of us.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Similar experience with the Tiger for me. Nothing about it made me tingle. Engine was meh, brakes were meh, suspension was meh. I already have an abundance of meh with my DL.
    The brakes were the standout component for me on the Tiger 800 roadie I drove for a week.
    I also liked the 2-piece seat. It was better than the factory gen-1 DL650 saddle and probably on par-ish with my Seat Concepts seat.

The brakes were the standout component for me on the Tiger 800 roadie I drove for a week.
    I also liked the 2-piece seat. It was better than the factory gen-1 DL650 saddle and probably on par-ish with my Seat Concepts seat.
    The Strom must have really shitty brakes then. I hated the stock 800 brakes. Set of EBC HH changed them dramatically.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

His strom in particular has dismal brakes. Mine is still 100% stock and they are only now starting to have a little more lever travel at 35k. Original pads/lines/etc...... I can still easily get to full panic brake with two fingers.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

The strom does have shitty brakes. Although it's weird, I've put EBC HH's on my track SV and thought those pads were meh. I think I have a "performance" pad on my 'strom right now. Can't remember who's. But then I'm talking about feel, not just stopping power. The mag reviews call the DL650 brakes "wooden". I have no idea what wooden brakes feel like, but the term seems reasonable to me.

Mind you this is a 1st gen ABS. I hear the 1st gen non-ABS is/can be much better. Part of the problem is I can't go to a good aftermarket braided brake line setup because there are 492948 fittings for the ABS and that makes a brake line kit like $300, which is obscene. Joel suggested I gut the ABS system and fit GSXR brakes to it or something.. which is an idea I'm actually warming to. The ABS unit in the rear of the bike is a pain to work around sometimes. Chucking it would probably shave a pound or two off the bike as well. The pooper is I kind of like ABS on a street/tour bike I ride for hundreds of miles on end. The ABS on this bike works well and has saved my dumb ass from mistakes.

Anyway. As if stating the obvious, the DL650 is no king of the hill either, here is a shortlist of the major issues with the machine in my opinion. Mind you this is late 1st gen (MY2011) centric:

- The seat blows, throw it out
    - The brakes are meh
    - The suspension needs $300-1500 worth of work; $300 to be okay, $1500 makes it great
    - The electrical system is not that powerful and-as with most bikes this size-has a R/R prone to failure
    - The engine is no power house, will not win @ dyno days
    - The styling won't impress anyone

I keep mine because it has nearly 50k on the odo, is nearly worthless to anyone else, yet rides great, has incredible range, and is reliable. Oh, that and it's been entirely paid for since June 2011.

Part of the problem is I can't go to a good aftermarket braided brake line setup because there are 492948 fittings for the ABS and that makes a brake line kit like $300, which is obscene.
    Brake Line Kit GL 18 Gold Wing
    $649
    :

Lifer

Gut it and fit CBR brakes. You already have the footpegs.

I also have CBR rotors on my spare front wheel. Getting there, one part at a time .

This is the start of the Class VI road next to our place near Sunapee.

50 yards uphill it's rutted, with big rocks and pools of water in the depressions. Wouldn't take anything up it that didn't have a good skidplate. You just never know.

There are plenty of town-maintained dirt roads that are no problem for almost any bike, other than pinging rocks off your exhaust.

... I keep mine because it has nearly 50k on the odo, is nearly worthless to anyone else, yet rides great, has incredible range, and is reliable. Oh, that and it's been entirely paid for since June 2011.
    In a lot of ways, this is where I am with my Monster as well. Bike technology keeps progressing, and bikes keep getting better (if more complex and less servicable).

I've taken up testriding various bikes for the fun of it; I've tested almost 60 bikes since 2008. A lot of them are better than my bike in several ways. But as yet, nothing has told me that any of them are *enough* better to be worth spending that much money for the upgrade. The most telling point is often when the test is over, and I get back on my trusty old Monster and ride it home. I always pay attention to see if my own bike feels disappointing or inadequate after riding the new one, and the answer hasn't been a clear "yes" yet.

The Ducati HyperMotard 1100S was the closest a bike has ever come so far to tempting me to switch. The MOTUS MST I testrode a few weeks ago was also pretty close. If that company succeeds in sticking around, I could see owning one of those at some point. If BMW was to ever build a K1600R, that might well do it; there's nothing like a straight six for engine sweetness.

But the odds are very high that I'm just going to keep this bike for as long as the core mechanicals hold up.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

My number 1 recommendation which of course sounds obvious and dooshy:

RIDE them.

I was enamored with the Tiger 800. Then I rode one.

//
    This times 10. It's all about the fun when it comes right down to it.

BMW, Ducati and Triumph dealers are all in for test rides.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    //But the odds are very high that I'm just going to keep this bike for as long as the core mechanicals hold up.

PhilB
    I had to think long and hard about putting $2,500 in suspension upgrades into a bike that was probably going to be worth $4,000 when I sold it. But other than traction control it has everything I want, and almost nothing I don't need. Not sure what I'd replace it with.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-22-16 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    BMW, Ducati and Triumph dealers are all in for test rides.
    KTM does demo days as well. If you are adamant about spending $15K or less, don't test ride the 1190 Adventure. I've avoided riding the 1290 Super Adventure for this reason.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 04-22-16 at 01:23 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

I've never met a dealer that was willing to let me demo a bike on demand. Not one. It must be me.

KTM demo days are very limited. IIRC there were only two in our area last year. And they do a poor-IMO-job publicizing the demos. I haven't been able to find anything about 2016 demos.

I've never met a dealer that was willing to let me demo a bike on demand. Not one. It must be me.

KTM demo days are very limited. IIRC there were only two in our area last year. And they do a poor-IMO-job publicizing the demos. I haven't been able to find anything about 2016 demos.
    It's relatively difficult to get a testride on any Japanese bike, oddly enough. Most of the non-Japanese dealers are easier. Your best bet is always to check the websites and look for Demo Days, or the schedule for the Demo Trucks (most manufacturers have these).

Three weeks ago I intersected with the Demo Truck from MOTUS, and got a testride on one of those. (A freaking awesome bike, that one is.)

Big events are good for that; I went to the MotoGP at COTA a couple weeks ago, and they had Demo trucks there for Harley, Victory, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and BMW. I testrode a Honda CB1100, Honda CBR1000RR, and Suzuki GSX-S 1000 on Saturday morning. Last year for the Laconia event, there were races on the weekend at Loudon, and several Demo Trucks there -- I testrode the Harley Street 750, Yamaha Bolt, Yamaha V-Max, Indian Scout, and Indian Roadmaster.

Triumph used to have a policy that all dealers have demo bikes, but I don't think that's enforced anymore, so some dealers still do it, and others don't. BMW dealerships will usually, in my experience, have demos available pretty much on demand. Max BMW is good; I've dropped by without notice and tested several bikes there. The Italians makes vary, but a good dealership will often have some. Seacoast in Derry keeps a lot of demos, and will let you take a spin on demand (provided you meet the requirements, of course). I dropped by a multi-make dealership here in St. Louis (where I'm working now) a couple weeks ago and tested a Polaris Slingshot and a Yamaha SR400 on the spot. I mainly wanted to try out their KTM 1290 SuperDuke, but it wasn't prepped to ride. They have done that, though, and I'm going to go back and testride it tomorrow.

I testride an average of about 8 bikes a year -- 62 since I started keeping track and doing writeups in 2008 -- you can do it if you decide to put a little effort and attention to it.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

National Powersports (Triumph) straight out told me that they do not do demos. They had a demo truck one day and I did go to that event. But it was a bit of a cluster. The machine I wanted to ride most was not available until mid day because no one had bothered to prep it.

I really want to demo a KTM 1190 and Honda Africa Twin this year. I'll hold my breath for a demo truck. Then go wait in line for a 10 minute guided parade lap through town while some asshat in a German military style helmet and T-shirt tries to ride up next to me on the Superduke or CBR1000 he clearly can't handle.

I did have a Suzuki dealer push a demo of a leftover DL1000 recently. That was a first. I declined because I was in a hurry.

I suppose I should go to MAX BMW and demo a 800 and 1200GS, you know, for science. Not really interested in either. But. I hear they are liberal with their demos.

I hear MOM's still lets you test ride their used bikes. Back when I was 22 and thought a jean jacket and fingerless bicycle gloves were "all the gear" they handed me the keys and slapped a dealer plate just about anything I wanted. No escort. No supervision. No bullshit. I liked that.

//I suppose I should go to MAX BMW and demo a 800 and 1200GS, you know, for science. Not really interested in either. But. I hear they are liberal with their demos.//
    Dude.
    S1000XR - face temporarily deformed.
    S1000R - face permanently deformed
    S1000RR - face falls off

The boxer twins will feel like tractors.

I was set on buying the FJ-09 until I stumbled upon a slightly used Triumph Explorer with all the add-on's (heated seats, heated grips, luggage, barkbusters, etc). I freakin love it - it just "fits" me. I will admit I splurged on the extended warranty after Kenn's incident, but I haven't had an issue. One thing I didn't think I'd love as much as I do is the cruise control - not sure I could own a streetbike without it (at least not if I'm doing anything long distance). I don't go offroad with it, but the thing does everything I ask and more on the street. My GF even enjoys it - i just crank up the preload and she turns on her heated seat and enjoys the ride (she hated my old bikes).

I've riden most of the other bikes listed, while all awesome bikes, non "fit" like the Triumph did. Just gotta go check out each of them and decide what fits you best given your intended use and budget.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 04-22-16 at 05:08 PM.

I agree ride lots of bikes. Who the frig cares about all the farkles available, not available, good dealers, bad, bah! Buy the bike that excites you the most to look at, swing a leg over and RIDE. Everything else is just details. Oh, and it should get you laid. LOL

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Dude.
    S1000XR - face temporarily deformed.
    S1000R - face permanently deformed
    S1000RR - face falls off

The boxer twins will feel like tractors.
    Dude. Three bikes I'm even less interested in!
    I own four twins, a thumper and a 2-smoke. I swore off 4's 5+ years ago. I dig tractors.

I also think it's not a coincidence that most of the modern ADV flavored toys are twins.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I dig tractors.

I also think it's not a coincidence that most of the modern ADV flavored toys are twins.
    its nice to be able to pick your way thru rough going without slipping the clutch

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Only bike I ever rode that was like "OH, ok, I get it now" was the Roundel GS-Adventure. And that was a 2004 1150. Not great enough to spend that kinda $$$ on, but I'll be damned if it didn't ride like a cloud.
    The Triumph dealer from whom I bought both of my Triumphs is also a BMW dealer; in fact, I would say that he was primarily a BMW dealer. And he was constantly trying to get me to switch. He kept telling me to take an R1200GSA out for a day, and I finally took him up on it one Saturday.

For the first few miles, I felt like I was riding an aircraft carrier, though its bulk diminished once I got out of town and onto some country roads. For the first 50 miles, it felt way too vibey (it was a brand new bike with 2 miles on it). I really didn't like it.

But after a while I hit Rt 125, which was torn up at the time for repaving, and on the twisty gravel section to Ripton the GSA acquitted itself extremely well. It was sure-footed and confidence-inspiring. Later, on paved twisties, I found that it also handled damn well for a bike of its bulk. By the time I got back to the dealer after 250 miles or something, the motor had smoothed out a bit, and I understood why so many people like to buy these beasts for long-distance riding. I had no desire to shell out the money for one myself -- the bike just didn't excite me much -- but I understood why other people do. I've had the same experience with the regular R1200GS when I've demoed it.

By contrast, a few years ago Kenn let me ride his Tiger Explorer up out of Bennington through the twisty section of Rt 9 till we switched back to our own bikes up by the campground, and in those few miles, I got to really like that bike. It handled effortlessly and confidently, it was comfortable, and I was left with this reaction when I got off the bike: "when I finally do that ride to Alaska, I've got to get one of these!"

In the meantime my viewpoint has changed -- Kenn's had enough issues that I don't fully trust that model for a 12,000 mile trip, plus I don't want to pay for it, and it's a pain in the ass to work on.

Just as you, an early adopter and organizer of a Triumph themed get-together, has convinced himself the Tiger is the bees knees.

We all have our things. I stand by my gripes with the Tiger. It is not a class killer and not the be-all of motorcycling. No different than any other model mentioned here.

Stop scoffing so hard at everything not Triumph. The rest are really great bikes. The emperor isn't buck naked, but he is still wearing pretty much the same rags as the rest of us.
    I think you read a little too much into my comments. Yeah, I admit I'm a Triumph fanboy, but I'm not blind to their missteps. And I don't begin to claim all other bikes suck. Note that I have money down on a so-far-vaporware Africa Twin.

Do I think the Tiger 800 XC is perfect? No, though for my needs it comes closer than any other bike on the market. Do I think the Wee-Strom is awful? No, I still recommend it to people who want to get an ADV bike but have significant budget constraints. My Wee-Strom treated me well for 40,000 miles, and I was happy to keep it in the family (as you may recall, my dad bought it). But after spending a lot of time on the Tiger, when I go back and ride the Strom now, I see its weaknesses very clearly -- first and foremost, the brakes are truly appalling. The suspension is primitive, the seating is kind of cramped, the components are cheap, etc... but what do you expect at its price point? Nevertheless, Suzuki did a number of things very right. The bike handles well as long as the pavement doesn't get too rough, the headlights are terrific, the engine is great. I still maintain that if Suzuki would take the basic DL650 (or SV650) platform, get rid of the plastics, and fit it with quality long-travel suspension, good brakes, and 21/18 wheels, they'd hit a home run. Maybe now with the Africa Twin hitting the market and the new Yamaha Tenere spied in development, they'll finally agree.

I am curious, those of you who demoed a Tiger and didn't care for it, was it the roadie or the XC? The differences between the two may seem minor, but I've heard repeatedly that they give the bikes very different characters.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021