Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thoughts on adventure/ST bikes

Re: Thoughts on adventure/ST bikes

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Nice. My friend Tommy has a 1290 SA and loves it. Enjoy!

--mark
    Aka Korndogg? I raced with him at napierville a number of years ago.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Aka Korndogg? I raced with him at napierville a number of years ago.
    Ha. Small world.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

That Bike is absolutely gorgeous, best of luck with it!

Now I'm posed with a moral dilemma...do I add the Akropovic can now while its discounted? Also considering the Powerparts top box with backrest.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

SRTie4k, you may have just started an "Arms Race."

Post up the link to your TL1000 when you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    SRTie4k, you may have just started an "Arms Race."

Post up the link to your TL1000 when you get a chance.
    Here you go:

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ter-87893.html

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Now I'm posed with a moral dilemma...do I add the Akropovic can now while its discounted? Also considering the Powerparts top box with backrest.
    Yes. Buy once, cry once.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Holy shit, I just ran an insurance quote...

2016 1190 Adventure - $241/yr
    2015 1290 Super Adventure - $586/yr

What do they think, that this is a Super Duke R with boxes??

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

I think the boxes are optional.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Holy shit, I just ran an insurance quote...

2016 1190 Adventure - $241/yr
    2015 1290 Super Adventure - $586/yr

What do they think, that this is a Super Duke R with boxes??
    what a difference 100cc makes. i dont pay that much for my 16 road glide with full coverage, and that includes full coverage on the KTM

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Picked it up yesterday at 2. Rode on the back of my buddy's Tiger from Keene to Concord. Waved to a construction worker on the way, who gave us the nod...he knew what was up.

Despite being stuck below 6k for the first 600 miles, all I can say is...holy fuck does this thing rip! From the brief 100 miles we got in, I can tell this thing just wants to gallop. Power delivery at 4k is downright scary, small children were running in fear.

Some other notes:

- It's definitely got that "lumpy" feel of a v-twin, it's definitely not "so vanilla it's almost boring" like some I4's I've ridden. A bit shudder-y at certain RPM's, but that's the character of massive coffee can pistons.
    - Suspension is fantastic on "Comfort" and a bit jarring on "Sport". Anti-dive is weird, when braking the front stays planted, but the rear really picks up. It feels unusual.
    - Brakes are phenomenal. I feel like I can stop on a dime, they're very progressive with excellent bite at the halfway point.
    - Riding position is very comfortable, handlebars just forward enough to make it slightly sporty despite a bolt upright seating position.
    - Seat is very firm, I'll probably have to replace with the KTM Powerparts Ergo seat. After 4 hours of riding yesterday, my butt was numb.
    - Very minimal buffeting from stock windscreen. At the highest level adjustment, it was only noticeable at 70, and barely so.
    - Hand warmers work great, haven't tried seat warmers yet.
    - Cruise is a bit difficult to use being on the throttle side, but it works good. Very convenient for slabbing.
    - Neutral is thus far difficult to find. Maybe this will get easier as the tranny breaks in. Otherwise gear changing is pretty smooth, with a solid *click* between each gear.
    - Clutch lever pull and throttle pull are SUPER light, I'm so used to arm wrestling the TL to clutch and throttle. That took a bit of getting used to.

I can't wait to uncork it after 600 miles. I see many close call speeding tickets in my future.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Mike thoughts on the massive weight of the 1290-SA vs. the TL? How does she handle in the twisties?

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i cant wait for you to let me ride it

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Trajiks9 View Post
    Mike thoughts on the massive weight of the 1290-SA vs. the TL? How does she handle in the twisties?
    I think it takes more effort to turn it in not because it feels heavier - it actually feels significantly lighter than it looks - but because it's a lot taller, so it takes much more lean to throw it between corners. That said, for such a tall bike with so much suspension travel and boxes on the back, it will still carve corners better than my abilities will allow!

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Maybe let the seat break in for 6 mo or so before you chuck it. I think I'd rather a firm seat that breaks in than soft one that goes to mush.

Where are we all on this "6k RPM limit" for break in?!? I've often felt it was dated, CYA mentality from manufacturers. linky

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

Where are we all on this "6k RPM limit" for break in?!? I've often felt it was dated, CYA mentality from manufacturers. linky
    What do you mean we? Hell will have frozen over before you buy a new bike

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

The royal we.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I've bought new bikes before. Twice, in fact. So that's a ratio of one out of every 15 bikes (LOL)

Last edited by Imbeek; 05-07-16 at 08:06 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    What do you mean we? Hell will have frozen over before you buy a new bike
    Doesn't stop me from having an opinion about new bikes, and being more than willing to share it!

FWIW: I once bought a new bike. It's one of the two bikes I've ever sold.

Maybe let the seat break in for 6 mo or so before you chuck it. I think I'd rather a firm seat that breaks in than soft one that goes to mush.

There's been tons of discussion of this elsewhere. The bottom line is that MotoMan's techniques are great for a racebike that you want making the most power the soonest, that you DGAF about the longevity of, and that you're going to rebuild frequently. For a normal rider on the street who wants his bike to last a long time without undue trouble, MotoMan's recommendation is a really bad one. I keep my stuff for a long time as a rule, and I am a firm believer in a gentle break in for durability and longevity of the machine.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

Interesting. How do you think that technique (which is "designed" to ensure the rings seat as best as possible) is bad for longevity? With your results, it is hard to argue. But I am curious.

Very good that's what i would buy

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Interesting. How do you think that technique (which is "designed" to ensure the rings seat as best as possible) is bad for longevity? With your results, it is hard to argue. But I am curious.
    A fresh engine still has slightly rough surfaces that generate extra friction until they are smoothed out by use. That extra friction means extra heat, which can cause damage. The point of the break-in period is to take it easy on all that for a while, so as to give everything a chance to smooth/bed/mate/match without excess heating.

The rings/bores are the biggest concern to have mate up properly, but bearings and valve rockers and such also can use the gentle start. Modern manufacturing is *far* better than the days of old, so modern bikes probably will survive MotoMan's ideas, and turn out OK, but it's certainly not ideal for longevity. For that matter, most bikes don't ever get enough miles on them for wearing out the engine to be a real concern, so in real life it might not matter for 99% of bikes and bikers. I tend to keep and use my stuff for a long time, so bad practices that can have long term effects matter to me more than they do to most people. If you tried the MotoMan approach on any vintage bike or 2-stroke, you'd have a good chance of a very bad result. On a modern bike, you'll just cause some extra wear and distortion, and maybe need a rebuild sooner if you ride it enough for that to matter.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    A fresh engine still has slightly rough surfaces that generate extra friction until they are smoothed out by use. That extra friction means extra heat, which can cause damage. The point of the break-in period is to take it easy on all that for a while, so as to give everything a chance to smooth/bed/mate/match without excess heating.

The rings/bores are the biggest concern to have mate up properly, but bearings and valve rockers and such also can use the gentle start. Modern manufacturing is *far* better than the days of old, so modern bikes probably will survive MotoMan's ideas, and turn out OK, but it's certainly not ideal for longevity. For that matter, most bikes don't ever get enough miles on them for wearing out the engine to be a real concern, so in real life it might not matter for 99% of bikes and bikers. I tend to keep and use my stuff for a long time, so bad practices that can have long term effects matter to me more than they do to most people. If you tried the MotoMan approach on any vintage bike or 2-stroke, you'd have a good chance of a very bad result. On a modern bike, you'll just cause some extra wear and distortion, and maybe need a rebuild sooner if you ride it enough for that to matter.

PhilB
    I hear all that and understand why people say that that. I can't wrap my head around watching shows that take you on a little tour of the manufacturers though. Some of them take bikes fresh off the assembly line and do a dyno run to "verify power".

My current thinking is a cross between MotoMan wail on it right away and baby it for a 1,000 miles. I just ride it. Larger throttle inputs and higher RPM are reserved until the bike is warmed up, but I don't stress over not going over 4k or 6k for example.

A lot of things have changed over the years. People say you can't break in an engine on synthetic oil properly. However multiple cars come from the factory with it now and last hundreds of thousands of miles.

I view the baby it break in stuff much the same way. Old school thinking that hasn't evolved while everything else advanced.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 05-08-16 at 12:42 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

PhilB
    IMHO, the tranny gears need the break in more than the engine for a lifetime of buttery smooth shifting

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON