Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thoughts on adventure/ST bikes

Re: Thoughts on adventure/ST bikes

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm kind of surprised you feel the need for a heated seat on that machine. All reports I've read regarding the "little" brother 1190 say that those highly tuned twins put out a bunch of heat. Most reports complain of too much heat on the thighs and seat pan. Seems that was one of the minor fixes on the '16 1190. Probably addressed right out of the gate on the 1290.

Dear lord does that thing look beastly!
    KTM addressed the heat problem with the 1290 via header wrap on the rear exhaust pipe, and an underseat heatshield. The only time I've felt heat without the heated seat was the day I picked it up and we sat in a traffic jam for 40 minutes in Nashua.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

90% of new bike postings I see get a "meh" from me, but this thing looks/sounds like a blast to ride. Pretty sick, especially if the throttle is more or less dial-a-wheelie.

Want.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I just read about a recall for these models - do you know if the dealer addressed it before delivering to you. I forgot where I read it and what it was :-(

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I just read about a recall for these models - do you know if the dealer addressed it before delivering to you. I forgot where I read it and what it was :-(
    There's a recall on the rear shock as of a week ago. Some of them leak oil around the electronic connector. There's still a lot of confusion as to whether it's a worldwide recall or just a European/Australian recall, most of the dealers don't know anything yet.

I haven't seen any signs of oil on mine yet, but I'll mention it when I bring it in for the first service in 2 weeks. Maybe KTM will have shed a bit more light on it by then.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Me and my buddy did our first bout of sustained dirt road riding yesterday. Followed the so-called "Hampster Trail" from Henniker down to Greensville. It was about 50% dirt, 50% pavement. Total mileage was maybe 75 miles.

Now given this is really my first experience riding on dirt (never ridden a dirt bike or sustained dirt roads on any bikes), it seems like the bike handled very competently. I could get the ass end loose with some generous throttle in Offroad mode (limits power to 100HP), TC seemed to be kept to the bare minimum, but once out far enough, TC would reign you back in. It was a lot of fun roosting the tire here and there, and it helped build a little confidence and understanding how the bike will handle when the rear gets loose. ABS in offroad mode was completely unnoticeable, I never actually noticed if it kicked in or not, but the bike never squirmed or slid on me when I went to brake for corners tighter than I anticipated. Very drama free, no "oh shit I'm not stopping" moments to be had.

The bike also feels very light riding and flicking it through tight corners, you'd never believe you're riding a 550lb behemoth touring bike with how easily it steers through corners and changes direction.

As far as suspension goes, wow is this thing plush on the Offroad damper setting. The only time the bike became unsettled was over consistent deep ruts, which we only experienced twice the whole route. Otherwise it soaked up potholes, bumps and uneven surfaces like a Caddy. It really inspired confidence, I felt like I could easily ride twice the "speed limit" (if those roads actually had any) comfortably and in full control, even when the road surface was loose sand and gravel.

And I was surprised at how decently the Conti TA2's performed. It's not like we're riding class 6 roads, but they held traction admirably for someone not used to riding dirt roads on a bike.

Just rolled over 850 miles, I should be clear of 1000 miles by the time the first service comes due next weekend.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 05-20-16 at 09:01 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

As I posted earlier, I really dig the bike...the one thing (from the pics) that I don't like is the appearance of the windshield; it looks pretty hideous. I see that it is adjustable...is it in your line of sight while riding, when up all the way? Does it come off the bike entirely easily and/or without tools?

In the pic, it's at the highest setting. At 6'1", I look over the top of the windscreen. It is adjustable up and down while riding, and it's mounted with brackets that "flip" to put it in a lower or higher config, so there's 2 modes of adjustment. To remove if you have to simply remove 4 philips screws (which leaves the "sub windshield").

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Offroad mode (limits power to 100HP)
    o.O

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Error | Adventure Rider

2007 Tiger 1050, 62k miles, Racetech forks, NYC, $3500

Jeff

Man that KTM looks epic, and the way you describe riding it is exactly how I felt when I picked up my Multi. We'll have to get out for some adv rides this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    National Powersports (Triumph) straight out told me that they do not do demos. They had a demo truck one day and I did go to that event. But it was a bit of a cluster. The machine I wanted to ride most was not available until mid day because no one had bothered to prep it.
    Just wanted to clarify that we DO offer demo's on the Triumph line up, no questions. Even if we don't have a certain model prepped, we may be able to do so. Not sure who you talked to when you were here bubba, but I know the sales guys love a chance to go rip around with someone that wants to try something out

I guess I'll give a final update.

Bike is just now over 1700 miles and I'm just loving it more and more every time I ride it. It's simply the fastest, funnest and most versatile bike I've ever had the pleasure of riding. It's like a super Swiss Army Knife (Austrian Army Knife?), it does a little bit of everything and it does them all phenomenally. My buddy and I got a bit carried away coming back from Americade/Dirt Daze last week, and were ripping up some corners in the middle of Vermont on roads with pretty broken surfaces. You would never have known that the roads were shit the way it soaked up massive cracks and bumps. And then on straightaways you'd get on the throttle and hold on for dear life as the front end lifts over the course of 3rd gear. I was laughing like a mad man in my helmet the whole time.

It's also surprisingly easy to work on. All the bolts are exposed, they're pretty much all Torx and almost all the same size, so doing things like topping up the coolant was simply a matter of removing 4 bolts, pulling the side fairing out slightly and filling up the reservoir. Removing the headlight is probably the most difficult thing I've done thus far, but again with a little help/suggestions over on advrider, it was a matter of removing 6 bolts and gently bending some plastics out of the way.

And of course I've already farkled it up pretty good. Top case, pannier liners, single ergo heated seat, Akra and tune, skid plate, radiator guard, HyperPro RSC steering damper, SW-Motech GPS mount and "Perfect Squeeze" smartphone holder (this thing is fantastic) were all necessities. I'm pretty much done adding stuff other than possibly Cyclops LED headlights.

And of course, some pics.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Looks good. That bike is high on my short list.

I can share some opinions here.

For some background, I rode a DL1000 across trans lab highway (before being heavily paved). During that ride, I also got some significant saddle time on an F800GS. I rode an R1200GSW across Alaska (denali highway, single track, etc.). Regularly ride fire roads and some trails in New England and have a trip to do the interior of Iceland shortly. I do not expect anyone to find any of these rides particularly impressive but I have used a series of these bikes off pavement. I owned an 1190 Adventure, DL1000, DRZ...etc..

As you can see from my signature I have thrashed attempting to figure out exactly what bike, or bikes, I require to satisfy my needs. I, personally, have ended up "needing" two. The 1190 ended up being neither of what I wanted when I owned it. I purchased the bike thinking...I'll just need this one. I found myself not feeling engaged enough when I wanted a spirited street ride and carrying too much weight when the pavement ended or I just wanted to hop around town. The 1190 is big and the weight is up pretty high. The GSW felt easier and more manageable on or off pavement...ride them back to back; the GSW is incredibly well balanced. As a upright seating tall sport/street/fire road bike, I like the Multistrada a bit more. However, I did not get a Multi simply because I could not get past the reliability stories online. I am sure there are MANY more Multi owners that never had an issue but all the stories spooked me. The 1190 for 6k+ miles was very reliable and resale value was strong. The 2014's had the gap in the air box so I added a unifilter as soon as I took delivery; other than that oil changes and ride. The 1190 is a fantastic bike, just not the right fit for me at the moment.

I found the DL1000 ('06) to be a great all around bike if not boring. In it's defense I did not do much, if anything, to try and make it any more exciting. It was a great, inexpensive, and reliable bike. I have not ridden the newest version but hear good things.

The Africa Twin paired with the FZ1 is the right mix for me and combined I paid about what I would pay for a new Multi or 1190. The AT feels like the lightest bike out of all (off the *off roadish* style that I have ridden). The bike has just enough electronics and power to keep me happy; I have learned I just do not need 120+ at the rear wheel all the time. Also I appreciate the AT being simpler. I was concerned about long term longevity of all these computers fitted to bikes that should be getting dusty and muddy. Good luck in your search.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Current: Looking.
    Previous: 2002 YZF-600R, 2006 DL1000, 2011 GSX-R 750, 2009 FZ1, 2008 1098, 2007 VFR800, 2013 DRZ, 2014 1190 Adventure, 2016 Africa Twin, 2008 WR250X, 2012 FZ1, 2017 KTM SD-GT

What do you have to say about the F800GS compared to all of those? That has seemed to me to be one that would serve all purposes pretty well.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by yucatan View Post
    The 1190 ended up being neither of what I wanted when I owned it.
    I take it you owned the non "R" version of the 1190 based on your signature. Have you spent any time on the R? Also, roughly how big are you? I haven't tried any of the smaller adventure bikes like the F800GS or Africa Twin but being a larger guy and being used to tall dirt bikes, I found the 1190 to be very manageable. It is focused on a slightly different market than the AT or F800 though.

KTM has dropped hints of an 800 parallel twin adventure bike in the next year or so to better compete in that market.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    What do you have to say about the F800GS compared to all of those? That has seemed to me to be one that would serve all purposes pretty well.

PhilB
    F800GS is what I would compare most closely to the Africa Twin at the moment IMHO. I would not, now having ridden these other bikes, ultimately compare Multistrada/1190(1290)/1200GS to the F800GS or Africa Twin. In my mind they are just not the same class any more; probably never really were. I keep using this term, that I did not create, but I do think it applies more now that the Africa Twin has arrived; Ultra Dual Sport. The F800GS is narrower, has a 21 up front, and is light comparatively...lets not forget the wet weight of a base F800GS is about 460lbs.

I found the F800GS great on and off pavement, had plenty of power, good electronics package and was just a really good bike; I had a blast on it. I had nothing bad to say about the bike I rode other than it had an ultra high seat (not stock) but that was because the owner has NBAer inseam. If you can live with a little less power and a little less wind protection (both direct and cross) and appreciate reduced weight then I think the F800GS is a really great bike.

Previous: 2002 YZF-600R, 2006 DL1000, 2011 GSX-R 750, 2009 FZ1, 2008 1098, 2007 VFR800, 2013 DRZ, 2014 1190 Adventure, 2016 Africa Twin, 2008 WR250X, 2012 FZ1, 2017 KTM SD-GT

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

PhilB
    I've ridden the 800gs some, and I love that bike.
    The first gen has "enough" power for me, and "enough" suspension for dirt roads. Serious off-road shenanigans (like every single bike ever) will require suspension work...the 800gs even more so, because the stock suspension lacked adjustability.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I take it you owned the non "R" version of the 1190 based on your signature. Have you spent any time on the R? Also, roughly how big are you? I haven't tried any of the smaller adventure bikes like the F800GS or Africa Twin but being a larger guy and being used to tall dirt bikes, I found the 1190 to be very manageable. It is focused on a slightly different market than the AT or F800 though.

KTM has dropped hints of an 800 parallel twin adventure bike in the next year or so to better compete in that market.
    Yup, non R. I don't think the 1190 was unmanageable but I did find, again in my experience, the weight being up higher. I think my comment about manageability was specifically in comparison to R1200GSW. My experience with the R1200GSW was that the weight felt lower and I was able to manage the bike far more confidently in low speed situations than the 1190. Again...to each his own. As for inseam, I always had the 1190 seat in the low position and had the balls of my feet securely on the ground; could not flat foot it. But then again I could not flat foot DRZ, or R1200GS, or F800GS, or...well you get the idea. ;-)

Last edited by yucatan; 06-13-16 at 01:54 PM.

Lifer

I think if the f800gs was a couple of grand cheaper it would be a great deal more successful. I think the price is holding back a great bike. Fir the same price I'd get the AT

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I think if the f800gs was a couple of grand cheaper it would be a great deal more successful. I think the price is holding back a great bike. Fir the same price I'd get the AT
    The F700GS is $9,995, with ABS.

It has engine displacement of 798cc (same), 10 less hp but similar torques, alloy wheels with 19" front, 41mm fork with less travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The F700GS is $9,995, with ABS.

It has engine displacement of 798cc (same), 10 less hp but similar torques, alloy wheels with 19" front, 41mm fork with less travel.
    Aka: lame sauce.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I am totally obsessed with the new 1090 r, my only concern is how it, with the tkc80 will handle in the street. Also, seems to be a lack of dirt roads where I live, so I doubt my usage would be 50/50....anyone have thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TKC will do more than is legal on the street quite comfortably.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    I am totally obsessed with the new 1090 r, my only concern is how it, with the tkc80 will handle in the street. Also, seems to be a lack of dirt roads where I live, so I doubt my usage would be 50/50....anyone have thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll burn through the TKC 80 in short order anyway. As Chip said though it won't hold you up, though the handling does get a little wonky as the front nears the end of it's life.

2012 Tiger 800 XC