Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Lifer

Re: New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

The experts of ADV-Rider have spoken. Now that the KTM 990 is gone, the Honda Africa Twin is in a "class of it's own". Here is a chart that supports this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

So some genius is telling us that the AT is more dirt worthy than the 990, even though he's more than likely not ridden it (or either).

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I love the bikes "classed" so strictly by displacement. DL650 and DR650 in the same "class".
    I think the chart is quite close to the dumbest thing I've seen on ADV Rider in a bit. It's baffling. I can't get over it.

Hey Colin! Maybe you'll find this more useful than that chart.

I got my chance to see an Africa Twin up close this morning at the Montreal Motorcycle Show.

First impressions: bike is considerably smaller than it seems to look in pics. It's about the same as my Tiger 800 XC. Seating position is very comfortable -- good ergonomics, everything feels well-placed, and the seat was a very pleasant surprise. It may end up being a little too soft for me; that will take some saddle time to figure out. But the shape is excellent. It's pretty flat for a surprisingly long stretch front to back, allowing quite a bit of fore/aft movement. And standing position is good -- the bike is narrow between the knees, and the bars are high enough that even at 6'4", I can reach them without bending over too far. I'll still end up raising them a little, but not much.

I got to compare with a KTM 1190 Adventure R, and actually liked the Honda much better. By comparison, the KTM feels a little wider, the bars are a fair amount lower, and the seat doesn't allow nearly as much movement.

Here's my friend Jarrel on the AT. He's about 6'2", to give a sense of the bike's size. (Note, by the way, that the bike was bolted down, so I can't comment on perceived lightness.)

Good protection for the rear shock.

You can just make out the oil filter tucked well inside the skid plate here. Obviously skid plate removal will be required for oil changes. Also, you can just barely make out the crash bar mounting -- that black cross bar that the silver bars mount to in turn mounts to bosses on the frame downtube. Pretty solid.

Note the position of the coolant reserve/overflow tank, behind and beneath the transmission. Brake pedal looks a bit vulnerable in this pic, but the pedal folds. Will be curious to see how the lever shaft holds up.

Let the bitching about the crossover brake hose commence.

Cockpit layout is good, and it's got plenty of room for GPS and other doodads. Also note preload/rebound adjusters on the fork caps (compression is on the bottoms).

Definitely looks better with knobbies than the street tires it comes with stock.

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

That red/black/white one is killer. Not a U.S. colorway I assume. lol

Paul_E_D

The red/black/white is a US colorway. We're not getting the black or white/blue/red (which is the best-looking of all).

Mine will be red/black/white. The silver is really boring.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    The red/black/white is a US colorway. We're not getting the black or white/blue/red (which is the best-looking of all).

Mine will be red/black/white. The silver is really boring.

--mark
    Killer! I prefer the red/black/white by far over the re/white/blue (yuck, lol) I normally can't tolerate red seats, but that one works!

Paul_E_D

I like the silver.
    I gots say, a crossover brake line is one thing, rubber brake lines are something entirely different.
    Those and that weak ass stamped skid plate would be among the first upgrades. At the end of the day, I'm sure it'll work out for many riders.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

What are the two huge spoke nipples for?

Paul_E_D

Lifer

I agree with almost all of your observations. I was a little unimpressed with the "crash bars". Interesting that Honda markets them not as crash bars but as accessory bars. I've been checking out some of the alternatives and think one of the others may be worth the premium over the OE. Seems almost everyone from Touratech to SW-Motech is getting in on the 3rd party support.

I agree about the feeling of size and ergonomics. This is part of why I don't understand why so many are quick to compare it to monsters like the R1200GSA and Tenere. It feels much more like a bumped out middleweight to my hand.

Notice that cross bar on the fairing support just above the instrument stack. Perfect place for a ram ball mount for mounting a GPS.

Shame you couldn't pick one up and rock it back and forth. I could at IMS in NYC. Definitely felt like a low CG. Felt lighter than my DL or the 2nd gen @ the Suzuki booth. And felt lighter than the F800GSA @ the BMW display. I was very impressed with the bike in person. Although I've fallen for the hype on this one and am having doubts in my own eval on some of these things. I really want to like this bike.

Not much I don't like about this thing. So far the only strike against it in my book is that it isn't available used. And now I'm hearing it won't be stateside until early June! Still, I'm insanely tempted. I've gone so far as to pick out an accessory wish list for it.

I'm now starting to think with some 50/50 or 70/30 tires it could replace most of what I want to use my DRZ400 for. I still have an SV setup in racey trim for sport riding. Maybe I can jetison both the DRZ and the DL650 and replace them with just one, this CRF.

Little hesitant about living with a 21" front everyday, all day. But I seen you do it. Must be doable.

I too dig the red and while CRF colors. Totally looks like a supersized CRF250L. My feelings aren't all that hurt about the color options missing for the US market.

FWIW. This is the "HRC" pattern available in the rest of the world but not North America.

Note the gold wheels. This is the only color option that gets those wheels.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    What are the two huge spoke nipples for?
    I think those are weights. That's how you balance a spoked wheel, isn't it? I know light dirties never get balanced. But this thing does!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think those are weights. That's how you balance a spoked wheel, isn't it? I know light dirties never get balanced. But this thing does!
    This...duh.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Ha! I just used regular weights on my 690.

Paul_E_D

I've been checking out some of the alternatives and think one of the others may be worth the premium over the OE. Seems almost everyone from Touratech to SW-Motech is getting in on the 3rd party support.
    Yeah, there will be a ton of options available.

Notice that cross bar on the fairing support just above the instrument stack. Perfect place for a ram ball mount for mounting a GPS.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I'm now starting to think with some 50/50 or 70/30 tires it could replace most of what I want to use my DRZ400 for. I still have an SV setup in racey trim for sport riding. Maybe I can jetison both the DRZ and the DL650 and replace them with just one, this CRF.
    Yeah, I'm thinking it will pretty much replace my XR650L.

Little hesitant about living with a 21" front everyday, all day. But I seen you do it. Must be doable.
    It all depends on geometry. Can't speak to the AT since I haven't ridden one yet, but the Tiger handles awesome with the 21" front. Plus that big front wheel is nice to have on rough roads because it rolls over broken pavement better.

--mark

Lifer

19/17 is a nice compromise. The 21 is just such a skinny ass tire. But then I wasn't exactly passing you and leaving you for dead down there in VA. Can't be that bad.

Meh.

How do you feel about waiting until June for this thing? Can't understand why the US is such a late launch vs rest of world.

19/17 is a nice compromise. The 21 is just such a skinny ass tire. But then I wasn't exactly passing you and leaving you for dead down there in VA. Can't be that bad.
    You're overthinking it. The 21" tire has a narrower contact patch, yes, but it's longer to help make up for it. I've had absolutely no issues with traction even when I was scraping pegs on the Tiger. And that's with inexpensive dual sport tires. With a set of pure street tires, say Avon AM26 RoadRiders, the Tiger could achieve some pretty quick cornering speeds.

I expect the AT won't handle quite as well on pavement as the Tiger, but at this point that's speculation.

Also, I've got to say, the 21" is vastly superior to the 19" once you leave the pavement. Just ask Viola about trying to keep up with Mike and me on gravel roads -- and it's not like he has no dirt experience.

How do you feel about waiting until June for this thing? Can't understand why the US is such a late launch vs rest of world.
    I'm not thrilled about waiting till June, but it's not unexpected. And it's not like I don't have a bike to ride in the meantime.

As for the late launch, I don't get that either, but then, I don't get a lot of the decisions Honda North America makes (they tried to sell us that DN-01 contraption, the Fury chopper that arrived three years too late for the fad, and the Dullville as it's known in Europe, but not the Transalp? WTF?). I suppose we're lucky to be getting the Africa Twin at all; the previous generations never made it over here.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 02-28-16 at 11:41 AM.

Bubs, there's a 990Adv on ADV flea market in NH
    Error | Adventure Rider

Last edited by MattR302; 02-28-16 at 02:17 PM.

I'm hoping motoquest buys one as a $160/day rental bike LOL

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Bubs, there's a 990Adv on ADV flea market in NH
    Error | Adventure Rider
    Decent deal. That's about where I'd be at on mine too.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Crumble traded his multi and his 250L for one:

CRF1L Africa Twin First Time Off Road - YouTube

Last edited by reks95; 02-29-16 at 11:15 PM.

You're overthinking it. The 21" tire has a narrower contact patch, yes, but it's longer to help make up for it. I've had absolutely no issues with traction even when I was scraping pegs on the Tiger. And that's with inexpensive dual sport tires. With a set of pure street tires, say Avon AM26 RoadRiders, the Tiger could achieve some pretty quick cornering speeds.

I expect the AT won't handle quite as well on pavement as the Tiger, but at this point that's speculation.

Also, I've got to say, the 21" is vastly superior to the 19" once you leave the pavement. Just ask Viola about trying to keep up with Mike and me on gravel roads -- and it's not like he has no dirt experience.

--mark
    Yeah, I'd guestimate the 21" is good for another 10-15mph after the 19" gets floaty on the deep gravel. That adds up mile after mile.

Last edited by e30addict; 03-01-16 at 08:37 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Yeah, I'd guestimate the 21" is good for another 10-15mph after the 19" gets floaty on the deep gravel. That adds up mile after mile.
    And it's not just that the 21" is just comfortable for slightly higher speeds -- it actually stabilizes at higher speeds. When I rode the Trans-Lab on my V-Strom with 19" front wheel, it just always felt a bit vague and unsettled no matter what speed I was going, so I tended to keep it around 45ish to prevent it from getting too butt-clenching; Mark seemed to have a similar experience on his roadie on the gravel we rode last fall. By contrast, on my XC, it still felt a little vague around 45, but once I accelerated to 60-70, it smoothed right out and became very controllable and confidence-inspiring. That 21" wheel just tracks a lot better.

--mark

And it's not just that the 21" is just comfortable for slightly higher speeds -- it actually stabilizes at higher speeds. When I rode the Trans-Lab on my V-Strom with 19" front wheel, it just always felt a bit vague and unsettled no matter what speed I was going, so I tended to keep it around 45ish to prevent it from getting too butt-clenching; Mark seemed to have a similar experience on his roadie on the gravel we rode last fall. By contrast, on my XC, it still felt a little vague around 45, but once I accelerated to 60-70, it smoothed right out and became very controllable and confidence-inspiring. That 21" wheel just tracks a lot better.

--mark
    Depends. 95-115 seemed to be a comfortable range. You could definitely feel it settle down as you accelerated from a stop. I remember going up to 130 and not reeling you two in before I said fuck it I'm good with staying right side up in the middle of nowhere instead.

You guys were definitely booting faster than 60-70........

Last edited by e30addict; 03-01-16 at 11:52 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

That's dangeriss.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Is there any negotiating the price of these things or are they selling so fast that dealers don't care to hassle with you?