Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Re: New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Attachment 44137

It's still under extended MFG warranty too...
    Either you should be ashamed of yourself, or that pic of your wife is awesome.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Either you should be ashamed of yourself, or that pic of your wife is awesome.
    Hey, if the dealer is going to throw crap in to sweeten the deal 'cause I'm suddenly getting 'cold feet' before signing... not my fault.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I was not referring to the warranty in any way, shape, or form.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I was not referring to the warranty in any way, shape, or form.
    And I know you're not referring to my handsome physique on display in that pic...

Lifer

Colin has been reduced to semi-coherent mumbling in the corner. He's sure most of you don't get it, but he's actually okay with that. He's pretty sure it's part of his charm.

Remember, I'm never going motorcycle racing. Nope, nope, nope. Not me jack.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

FFS do I have to buy one first???

Lifer

Yeah, so that Honda. Looks nifty. Hope to ride one soon. Think I'd like it a lot.

Can you believe fans on these interwebs are claiming it is going to "sell out" and even those with "deposits" may not get a bike this year?! "Hurry, give a dealer a deposit today to reserve your right to maybe give them thirteen thousand American dollars for the pleasure of having one of your very own. Hurry, before its' too late!"

Meh. Whatever.
    I don't need such a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    FFS do I have to buy one first???
    Yes. Do it now. Hurry. Don't wait.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Remember, I'm never going motorcycle racing. Nope, nope, nope. Not me jack.
    No, but it's nice of you to sponsor your family member so they can go racing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

it is funny that the goons over on adv think that they are the only people that buy motorcycles.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    it is funny that the goons over on adv think that they are the only people that buy motorcycles.
    I joined over there and was active for a while, but the signal-to-asshole ratio was too low. When your "ignore" list gets large enough that you can click on multi-page threads and see no posts, it's time to go.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

You just gotta know where to look, I think. As (excuse my political incorrectness) retarded as political (or any intangible) discussions get here, it's way worse in their allotted forums.
    Some of the other stuff is untouchable as far as a knowledge/experience base though.
    Like anything, take the good with the bad.

I think I'm ignore list free across the web. I try not to let anything really get under my skin.
    Although, I have officially ignored Facebook as a whole.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You just gotta know where to look, I think. As (excuse my political incorrectness) retarded as political (or any intangible) discussions get here, it's way worse in their allotted forums.
    Some of the other stuff is untouchable as far as a knowledge/experience base though.
    Like anything, take the good with the bad.

I think I'm ignore list free across the web. I try not to let anything really get under my skin.
    Although, I have officially ignored Facebook as a whole.
    But it's a ratio thing. Yes, some sub-forums weren't as bad as others, but even outside of the "bad areas", too many of the same people post relevance-free bullshit regardless of the topic. I never put anyone on "ignore" for disagreeing with me, or for "getting under my skin". I don't have anyone on "ignore" here. I put people on ignore for posts that contain no content, and instead are just full of abusive language, namecalling, and other assholery. I just don't need to waste my time on people like that. ADV was full of people like that. I can find knowledge I need in places where I don't have to shovel to find it.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 03-04-16 at 01:11 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

I've fallen victim to some of the ADVRider horseshit. I have no idea why. Must be a faulty personality trait.
    What the hell, beats working.

Some of the ride reports are fucking epic. I got sucked into a Canada => Costa Rica report last night. A+++++. Would read again. Dog was pissed because it was 8 PM before I put the computer away and fed her.

ADVRider did come through with some interesting Africa Twin data. Someone in europa apparently actually weighed their bike : 232,9kg for a DSG model. Translated to 'murican that is pretty darn close to the official Honda spec. Nice to hear Honda may not be entirely full of poo.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    There's room for different approaches. I pretty much buy everything with cash, and thus stick to buying things I can actually afford. On the one hand, this is why I literally have no credit rating. OTOH, that's also why I have no debt other than a 10-year mortgage, and thus will be retiring early to enjoy the toys I have been able to afford.
    Makes a lot of sense, of course. Different people have different approaches.

My view is that I like to have a good-sized emergency buffer in my bank account. If that buffer were upwards of $75k (not including my 401k of course), then maybe I'd feel comfortable paying cash for a motorcycle. But it's not that big, so I'd rather leave the money in the bank in case of emergency and finance the bike. Might cost me a little more in the long run, but it's worth it for the peace of mind in the short term.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Can you believe fans on these interwebs are claiming it is going to "sell out" and even those with "deposits" may not get a bike this year?!
    It's actually rumored that even some people who put down deposits may not get bikes. Honda has apparently been very surprised by the demand for this bike, and it's sounding like supplies are going to be very limited.

For what it's worth, when it was first released the Tiger 800 XC was also very difficult to get without a deposit having been placed.

The question is to what extent Honda can increase production of the Africa Twin to meet the demand. It may not be as easy as it sounds, depending on how they manage the process -- the production line may have been reallocated to another model, etc.

Next year? Sure, walk into a Honda dealership and pick an AT off the floor. First half of this year? Probably not (with the possible exception of a few high-volume dealers in regions where nothing much sells besides cruisers).

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Makes a lot of sense, of course. Different people have different approaches.

My view is that I like to have a good-sized emergency buffer in my bank account. If that buffer were upwards of $75k (not including my 401k of course), then maybe I'd feel comfortable paying cash for a motorcycle. But it's not that big, so I'd rather leave the money in the bank in case of emergency and finance the bike. Might cost me a little more in the long run, but it's worth it for the peace of mind in the short term.

--mark
    That tends to be my school of thought as well.

I know the salesman at Manchester Honda in CT and he claims they've got 4 on order. They know for sure that they're getting 2 of them which are already under deposit. He doesn't even know if they'll get the whole 4. And that'll be it for the year.

Jeff

I'm assuming this all sounds like Greek because I'm not on the social media.
    Either way, $ comes, $ goes.

I will state I have zero qualms about financing toys. I'm better at making payments than saving, I suffer from "look, piece of candy" syndrome.
    A few minutes adjusting your W-4 and you've got a savings plan for shiny things next spring

Quote Originally Posted by reks95 View Post
    A few minutes adjusting your W-4 and you've got a savings plan for shiny things next spring
    Nah, I got enough shiny. My n+1 only applies to bicycles right now.
    It's time I need more than anything else in life.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Nah, I got enough shiny. My n+1 only applies to bicycles right now.
    This. In fact, I have a difficult time even justifying more bicycles right now. Not enough time to ride them without completely neglecting family.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Lifer

Hot!

You and Jim Webb. There's never a fair allotment of time.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Honda Africa Twin CRF1L vs BMW F8GS vs KTM 119 ADV R - Prove - Moto.it

F800GS vs KTM1190 ADV R vs Africa Twin. If they had the Tiger 800 XCx in there too and wrote the damned thing in english I'd be perfect. Although google translate does what I think is a half decent job of it.

Lifer

Interesting comparison to the original Africa Twin and the Varadero, two bikes we never saw in NA. Punchline is he says the new CRF Africa Twin does not measure up.