Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Re: New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Someone you don't know is always going to say the bike he rides is the best thing ever. It's the guys you know that are going to give you their real thoughts on the bike.

And I will say, I've never had a false neutral on either of my 800 Tigers. Plus you could never drag me away from the cruise control on my XCx.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Lifer

Yeah. If it just wasn't for that soulless, blah triple and drop unfriendly subframe. Now I've learned that they aren't even user servicalbe; you need a special dealer computer dongle thingie to do any serious maint. Methinks they mimicked BMW a bit too closely there. Is the electrical canbus too?!

The XCx or XRx are compelling for the cruise control (seriously, that's a big draw!) and serious suspension. But then on the flip side I have zero confidence that even the WP bits will be sprung to my liking. That means pulling them apart anyway. And while you're at it you might as well have them valved. Suddenly you're into serious coinage both when you pick the bike up AND when you tune it.

On the other hand Suzuki was sending the DL650 out the door this last spring at $6500 branzy new. Plus another $1500 to make the suspension exactly yours and you still have a big pile of travelin' money left over. Maybe a few bucks to figure out a clever cruise solution. Sure, it's not gonna win any drag races, but it's fast enough; I don't think I've held anyone up in a long while. And that marvelous fuel range. And cheap (comparatively) Japanese parts. Even a bafoon like me can work on them. Bottomless aftermarket support. Not gonna grab much attention at bike night. But then they seem to be downright theft resistant too. So maybe that's not so bad. Rear parcel shelf is solid aluminum. Transmission shifts just fine, even at 50k miles.

Suzuki "dealer tool":

I dunno man. If the black beauty were to suddenly implode I think a brand new DL650 may be my go-to as a replacement.

To be honest, I lust after the new AT. The transmission thing has me a bit worried, but I wonder how common it is. Either way, by the time I could afford one, I'd hope they would have that bug worked out.

So my mind shifts to looking at used 800xc (7-9k) or even thinking of DL650xt....

I honestly think I'd be happy with any of the three. In any case, it's all dreaming for right now. Maybe for next year...

A cable and freeware TuneEcu gets you what you need for the service. Put on good pannier frames and you save those peg hangers.

And everything else you wrote is the typical blah blah blah about that archaic wee storm. They've never been my thing and you'd have to pay me to take one. For me, there's just more to a motorcycle than price.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Yeah. If it just wasn't for that soulless, blah triple and drop unfriendly subframe. Now I've learned that they aren't even user servicalbe; you need a special dealer computer dongle thingie to do any serious maint.
    Obviously different people see different things; it baffles me how you see the triple as soulless and blah unless in your view an engine has to vibrate like crazy to have soul. The triple is smooth, yes, but it's eager and comes alive with a twist of the throttle. I think it's a fantastic motor.

As for the drop-unfriendly subframe, that's an old argument that's proven not to be much of an issue. And it's worth noting that lots of other bikes also have the welded-on footpeg hangers that are the source of the complaint, including the R1200GS.

And for the record, the Tiger 800 is absolutely user serviceable. Mine has gone over 92,000 miles with me servicing it myself. In fact, the only thing you need TuneECU and the cable for is throttle body syncing. If I recall correctly, the V-Strom's throttle body syncing is done electronically too.

On the other hand Suzuki was sending the DL650 out the door this last spring at $6500 branzy new. Plus another $1500 to make the suspension exactly yours and you still have a big pile of travelin' money left over.
    We get it. You like the V-Strom. You're lucky that you're so happy with such an inexpensive bike. But I owned a V-Strom too, I put 40,000 miles on the thing, and I honestly don't know what you see in it. I liked it okay at the time, it got me where I wanted to go, but the Tiger (or the Africa Twin) is SUCH a better bike. The only thing that the V-Strom has over its competitors is fuel range. And you know what? By the time I've put on 180 miles, I don't mind stopping for a short break, so it really doesn't bother me that the Tiger and AT have smaller tanks.

I still think you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to at least test ride an Africa Twin. For all my nitpicking, it really is an excellent motorcycle. I've just been spoiled by the Tiger, which I find to be an even better motorcycle.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

The second generation Tigers have improved quite a bit in fuel mileage. With mixed riding I'm averaging 57 mpg, that's up 10 mpg from my Gen 1 Tiger.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Lifer

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I too am glad we all have machines we can love.

I agree, I need to demo an AT. Although the reports of transmission issues (!) and poor fuel economy take some of the wind out of the sails. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't impulsively put money down on one without demoing it. (I was tempted for a short while.)

57 is much better. I heard that the newer 800's are much better in this respect. I'll say it again; the WP/cruise equipped 'x' machines are almost enough to get me to take another look. On paper I should love the Tiger 800. I was pretty disappointed I didn't love it when I had one for a week in California.

I should demo an F800GS too. As much as I like to ignore BMW for whatever reasons, on paper that machine is a solid choice.

The 800gs certainly has a character I think any vtwin rider will enjoy. Ultimately, I think the latest gens' increased weight with the same motor and boingers will kill it for anybody intending to take the bike seriously.

Electronic cruise is certainly something next level from where I'm at. I can't see myself making that kind of investment just for cruise control, but weirder shit has happened.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

they seem to be downright theft resistant too
    Truth.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

But then they seem to be downright theft resistant too

That is the most bizarre rationalization you have made yet. Conversation with salesman: Lemme get the ugly one in the back there. No, the FUGLY one. You know. The DL. No one will ever steal it from me!!! Mwahahaaaahaaaa!

I think you have lost your mind Bubba!

Paul_E_D

Lifer

It's okay. I feel similarly about your recent mini/play dirty-bike kick. Or that you'd use "tour" and "Hyperstrada" in the same sentence.

I think I have some sort of deep seeded love for the unloved, the underdog, the craptastic-that-isn't-even-actually-crap*. I dig bikes a lot of other people give no fucks about. The DL650. The DRZ. The SV. The ST1300. The XR100 supermoto. Somewhere, deep down I'm the kind of guy that'd rock a 100k mile, beat KZ1000 police special that was missing parts. Especially if I could grow a mullet. Hell, the only bike I ever took a loan for was a Suzuki Bandit. I'm that guy.

As said, it takes all kinds. Fortunately the market seems to support each of us.

* It does perplex that so many dig on perfectly good bikes these days. This AT gets knocked for "only" making ~100HP. Only.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've been offered two KZs, one is 99% other than needing the wiring redone, other is a parts machine.

Lifer

White fairing? Epic commuter. Passable tourbarge.

Shit, now I'm on CL..

It's okay. I feel similarly about your recent mini/play dirty-bike kick. Or that you'd use "tour" and "Hyperstrada" in the same sentence.

I think I have some sort of deep seeded love for the unloved, the underdog, the craptastic-that-isn't-even-actually-crap*. I dig bikes a lot of other people give no fucks about. The DL650. The DRZ. The SV. The ST1300. The XR100 supermoto. Somewhere, deep down I'm the kind of guy that'd rock a 100k mile, beat KZ1000 police special that was missing parts. Especially if I could grow a mullet. Hell, the only bike I ever took a loan for was a Suzuki Bandit. I'm that guy.

As said, it takes all kinds. Fortunately the market seems to support each of us.

* It does perplex that so many dig on perfectly good bikes these days. This AT gets knocked for "only" making ~100HP. Only.
    Hahaa, it's all good. I was just bustin. It is true that preferences and perspectives on bikes are super different rider to rider. I agree with you though that the SV is a platform that is hard to beat. Just like the hawk before it. There's a reason those models last 20 years largely unchanged.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    Truth.
    I dunno man, I pretty much stole yours

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

White fairing? Epic commuter. Passable tourbarge.

Shit, now I'm on CL..
    I was thinking vintage endurance mount / Sunday thrashabout... No full fairing, but maybe a half setup... And can't beat the price.

I don't love my Wee. I love my bank account balance as the result of my Wee. It's a Camry. Just keeps chuggin along being fine at what you ask it to do. Sexy? Nope. Fast? Nah. But paid for and allows me to do all the same riding I'd go on a bike that I'd spend $10k+ more for.

Still yearn for the Super Adv from KTM. Now THAT would make me go from 6 to midnight in a hurry. But alas, I procreated.

I do have to agree with z bubs. The Tiger was uninspiring. The difference from that to the Wee wasn't worth the price difference between a used beater Wee and a brandy new Triumph.

Maybe the AT could take a small turbo easily to make it sexier......

Last edited by TheIglu; 07-07-16 at 09:41 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Now THAT would make me go from 6 to midnight in a hurry.
    You never cease to make me laugh.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

It's a Camry.
    Excellent. Now I'm offended too.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

It's a Camry.
    Excellent. Now I'm offended too.
    This is great. With 11 characters Clayton made it possible that Colin could be a member of the Camcord club that he has a large amount of disdain for.

I aim to please.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Whoa, whoa, whoa...
    A Camry is just an average looking car. A wee is a pretty ugly bike. It's compare apples to apples...it's a Pontiac Aztec.
    It's beauty lies in its cheaply modified function. (I don't know if the Aztec reference applies here.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

57 is much better. I heard that the newer 800's are much better in this respect. I'll say it again; the WP/cruise equipped 'x' machines are almost enough to get me to take another look. On paper I should love the Tiger 800. I was pretty disappointed I didn't love it when I had one for a week in California.
    It doesn't help that you had the roadie. I think Mark will attest that the XC is a different animal. If you have a chance, you should try out an XCx. And remember to set it to sport mode so the throttle response isn't slowed. Find a twisty road where you can wind it out a bit. You might find that motor more interesting than you remember, and I'm pretty sure you'll like the ride better.

But that said, if you like a lumpy feel from the motor, the Africa Twin would be more your bag.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

edit: Found it! - REMUS Sound Honda CRF1000L.

Last edited by scottieducati; 07-07-16 at 03:19 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

I dunno man, I pretty much stole yours
    LOL indeed, but not before some wanker came by with 'cash and a trailer' and tried to lowball me for even less than you paid. Fuck that guy; glad you got it.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)