Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 51516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Re: New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Just like the hawk before it. There's a reason those models last 20 years largely unchanged.
    I wish!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

We still talking about this thing?

Current: Looking.
    Previous: 2002 YZF-600R, 2006 DL1000, 2011 GSX-R 750, 2009 FZ1, 2008 1098, 2007 VFR800, 2013 DRZ, 2014 1190 Adventure, 2016 Africa Twin, 2008 WR250X, 2012 FZ1, 2017 KTM SD-GT

After 2k miles...I can report a little.

I like it better (for me, calm down 1190 peeps) than the 1190 I had. Why??? It just feels "smaller" and being "too big" is why I got out of the 1190; this bike is the right size. Now I will say, I have not pushed this bike as hard as I did the 1190 on the street (outside of straight line throttle). No doubt that the 1190, and similar bikes, are like a Panamera or Gran Tursimo...big heavy "bombers". This bike is INCREDIBLY manageable in tight spots (very well balanced) and many, more talented than I, will illustrate that further. LOTS of clearance even with 190 standing and pounding on it.

Power is adequate however when I get on the FZ1 it feels like a rocket ship; which is a little unsettling. Brakes are excellent. Wind protection is VERY good; Honda is not lying about time spent in wind tunnel. Clutch/gear engagement is incredibly easy; just a flick. Fuel numbers thus far are not what I expected..however that may be my issue. ;-)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by yucatan; 07-21-16 at 12:12 AM. Reason: grammah yo.
    Current: Looking.
    Previous: 2002 YZF-600R, 2006 DL1000, 2011 GSX-R 750, 2009 FZ1, 2008 1098, 2007 VFR800, 2013 DRZ, 2014 1190 Adventure, 2016 Africa Twin, 2008 WR250X, 2012 FZ1, 2017 KTM SD-GT

I'm pretty sure ktm was chasing the bmw gsa crowd when they launched the 1190. It certainly is large.
    Does it look better in front of a Starbucks? That's for you to decide.

All I want I a dirtbike I can comfortably ride from here to Alaska on.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The size of this bike alone is it's selling point. It's the only liter class ADV I would even consider. Tall heavy pigs need not apply.

Paul_E_D

Yeah, but you're pretty spritely.
    I just want one I can fully romp off-road and also be comfy eating slab miles on when the need arises.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The bigger you are, the better this would get offroad IMO.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by yucatan View Post
    Wind protection is VERY good; Honda is not lying about time spent in wind tunnel. Clutch/gear engagement is incredibly easy; just a flick. Fuel numbers thus far are not what I expected..however that may be my issue. ;-)
    I've got just under 2k miles on mine as well. Have to disagree about the airflow management. The stock windshield is terrible. It sets up nasty buffeting at highway speeds that makes my helmet vibrate to the point that my vision is a little blurred. Incredibly annoying. At 6'4" I'm obviously too tall for what Honda had in mind. I want a shorter windshield so I have more but smoother airflow, but none seem to be available yet outside of Europe. I'm seriously considering cutting down the stock shield.

As for the transmission, it's nowhere near as smooth as my Tiger's, and I have to shift in an exaggerated, very firm fashion or I'll get occasional false neutrals. The Tiger's transmission is silky smooth and only requires a gentle nudge to snick positively into the next gear.

Gas mileage is good when riding at a reasonable pace (ie, not in too much danger of accumulating performance awards); I've gotten 53mpg over a tank spent riding NH and VT back roads. But on the highway, averaging around 80mph, it drops precipitously, mid-30s or so. For general commuting, I'm seeing mid-40s.

Generally speaking, I like my Tiger better in almost every way. But the AT will be a nice addition to the stable for more knobby-tire-oriented riding once I sort out the airflow issues.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'm pretty sure ktm was chasing the bmw gsa crowd when they launched the 1190.
    If they were, I think they missed. The final drive alone spoils it for the GSA faithful. I've met plenty of BMW heads that refuse to touch a chain drive with a 10' pole. The idea of bending over and running a rag across a dirty chain is unsettling to them. "How primitive!" Meanwhile most KTM pilots really don't give a fuck what connects the engine to the wheel.

I think the GSA is targeted at 1200RT owners that want to think they can ride off-road now.
    The 1190 ADV-R is targeted at 300 XC-W owners that want a street bike that's twice as fast as their neighbors' sports car.

The motors are very, very different in my book. The 1190 is a sledgehammer to your face, a seasoned hooker that knows every trick in the book. There is nothing you can do with that throttle to surprise her and her response is instant. Like she expected you do do that and is wondering why you waited so long. Meanwhile the 1200 is the divorced housewife next door. Calm, collected. Will do what you ask but not with any kind of urgency. Yeah, she did that with her ex once, but doesn't think it's something you do everyday. Like there's a constant "are you sure" pop up with every drastic move. Keep clicking "yes" and I'm sure she'll put out just fine.

The height of the 1190 ADV-R really kills it for me. No way in hell I could manage that bike in anything close to tight situations. I'm not that small. At a stop I have to have half a cheek off the seat to get a foot down on level ground. Its taller and harder to maneuver than my DL, which I've had problems with.
    But then I have the exact same problem with the 1200GS and GSA. These are tall, heavy bikes.

Haven't ridden the AT yet, but my ass spent some time in the saddle. The CG is shockingly low (like the BMW) and it carries the weight well at a standstill (like the BMW). It is narrow at the waist (like the 1190) and doesn't feel nearly as fatass as it is (unlike the BMW). To me it literally feels like Rolands' CRF250L scaled up. It is easier to hoist around on flat ground than my DL.

I'm out of the market because I've decide to love the one I'm with (my DL) for financial reasons. But I'm still anxious to ride one.

All I want I a dirtbike I can comfortably ride from here to Alaska on.
    Honestly. I think Kawasaki may have done that a while ago.

Honestly, how much power do you really need to ride to Alaska?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A klr is "adequate", but soulless.
    It's not power, that ain't my thing, but I want what I want dammit.

Regardless of any bikes strengths or weaknesses, I lack time to really use them all.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Oh, I get it. You know I do. Just pointing out that neither of us "just want" anything. We're both junkies looking for bigger, more badass highs. Which is what the 1190, 1200GS and even the AT deliver.

In truth, a 690 Basel is probably what I actually would be happy with.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

They should build a 690 adventure. Not saying I would buy it-I don't want another thumper. But they should build it.

Yeah, that ^. Even better as a lightweight twin.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Yeah, that ^. Even better as a lightweight twin.
    Yeah. What you said. That.

So a hypermotard with ADV kit then?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    So a hypermotard with ADV kit then?
    Who makes such a thing? Not Ducati.
    One of my (few) beefs with the Hyperstrada is limited aftermarket support. I still don't understand why it isn't better supported. IIRC Givi doesn't even make side case racks.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The motors are very, very different in my book. The 1190 is a sledgehammer to your face, a seasoned hooker that knows every trick in the book. There is nothing you can do with that throttle to surprise her and her response is instant. Like she expected you do do that and is wondering why you waited so long. Meanwhile the 1200 is the divorced housewife next door. Calm, collected. Will do what you ask but not with any kind of urgency. Yeah, she did that with her ex once, but doesn't think it's something you do everyday. Like there's a constant "are you sure" pop up with every drastic move. Keep clicking "yes" and I'm sure she'll put out just fine.
    This analogy is fantastic.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

To me it literally feels like Rolands' CRF250L scaled up.
    I think you just convinced me to wait until I can afford one of these, rather than sow some not-so-wild oats with a high-mileage VFR or 1150GS. I f'ing LOVE the CRF250L, I just want 3-5x the power.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    I think you just convinced me to wait until I can afford one of these, rather than sow some not-so-wild oats with a high-mileage VFR or 1150GS. I f'ing LOVE the CRF250L, I just want 3-5x the power.
    Ya know... CBR300R crank, Tak high comp big bore, cams, oversized valves... it can happen.

Yeah. What you said. That.
    That's their wee. Nope.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

I'm about 80% sure I'm going to trade my 2013 Honda F6b on a manual short AT early next week.

Talk me in or out...

The 1190 is a sledgehammer to your face, a seasoned hooker that knows every trick in the book. There is nothing you can do with that throttle to surprise her and her response is instant. Like she expected you do do that and is wondering why you waited so long. Meanwhile the 1200 is the divorced housewife next door. Calm, collected. Will do what you ask but not with any kind of urgency. Yeah, she did that with her ex once, but doesn't think it's something you do everyday. Like there's a constant "are you sure" pop up with every drastic move. Keep clicking "yes" and I'm sure she'll put out just fine.

bikes = women = cars

get the hot one that can take it hard

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-29-16 at 06:41 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Talk me in or out...
    Ride one first.

I'm legitimately curious what you would see in the AT. I have zero confidence that it is a fantastic machine. But then the F6B is no slouch. F6B seem like a better fit to the riding you've talked about doing.

Lifer

After 3 years and 22,000 miles on the F6b, I'm feeling it's too sedate. I took a VFR cross country before the F6b. I'm also looking at changing my riding to more frequent shorter escapes in less populate areas.

I like the higher view and lower weight for the commute as well.

Concerns include highway stability and my complete lack of experience off pavement