Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161727 ... LastLast

New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Re: New African Twin Maybe 1200cc

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I read this as a solid performer slotted right between the Tiger 800 and the KTM 1190 ADV-R, etc. Basically a euro bike for those of us unwilling to pay for or squirmish about buying a euro bike.
    You own a euro bike already, so stop being so squirmish.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    You own a euro bike already, so stop being so squirmish.
    I was just going to post the same thing. Those are silly notions anyway. All bikes have the potential to break, and all have quirks and niggles and need to be modded a little to be "perfect". Often times in my experience what feels so flawless on a test ride ends up not meeting the mark somewhere a little further down the line.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

LuckyStriker's World: 2015 Honda CRF 1000L Africa Twin impressions

On paper the power to weight ratio looks dreadful and when compared to its competitors the Africa Twin appears decidedly weak. Somehow in reality it just isn’t so.

The engineers at Honda really put a lot of thought and effort into this bike.
    This summer I had the opportunity to borrow a GL1800 Gold Wing for a few days. Never in a gazillion years would I expect a 900 lbs tourer be my bag. But the machine snuck up for me. If the experience left me with anything, it was enormous respect for how well Honda can engineer a motorcycle.

My hope continues to be that this bike is such a thing; not a spec sheet darling, but one helluva nice bike to own and ride.

I'm still excited. Only a few bucks more than most of the (very few) used 990 ADV's I'm seeing. Damned good value compared to an 1190.

Lifer

Easy on the eyes.

Nice gallery of photos from EICMA here.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It's a good looking bike IMO. I like that it doesn't have a beak.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    It's a good looking bike IMO. I like that it doesn't have a beak.
    My first thought as well, Yay, beakless!

My hope continues to be that this bike is such a thing; not a spec sheet darling, but one helluva nice bike to own and ride.
    That's what I'm hoping as well. The few reviews I've read so far all say the bike handles very well and feels much lighter than it really is due to low CoG. And it clearly has a strong offroad focus. I'm pretty much off the fence on this one; since the off-pavement riding I like to do is primarily ripping dirt roads at a significant rate of speed, and I'm not interested in getting hung up on obstacles or bogged down in mud holes, the Africa Twin seems like a more sensible bike for me than, say, a KTM 350. So when I was visiting the parents in Virginia for Thanksgiving, I stopped by the Honda dealer there and asked if they'd had any preorders yet for the AT, and they had not -- there's been some interest, but in that location they sell very few bikes that aren't sportbikes or cruisers. So I'm seriously tempted to put down a deposit and plan a fly&ride for next spring -- visit the parents, pick up the bike, spend a couple days down there breaking it in, then spend a couple more taking the long way home.

I'll keep my Tiger (love it too much to ever sell it), but it has 85,000 miles on it now and will get to relax with on-road duty, while I'll keep the AT shod with knobbies and use it for the rougher stuff. I'm also guessing that the AT will, in typical Japanese bike fashion, feel a bit more utilitarian and have less personality than the Tiger, thus I won't feel bad about beating it up. If I'm wrong about that and the bike really speaks to me, I'll add extra crash bars.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Less personality than a Tiger 800?

I demo'd one and found it to be pleasant and nice, but completely devoid of personality.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

I'm just impressed that someone wants to buy a brand new, $13+k, >500 lbs ADV toy and use it as a beater bike.

I want this to replace half my garage. My DL650 + DRZ400 + VFR750 wrapped up in one lovely package, more or less.

If it's as good as most are saying it is, I think I'll fit your wishlist quite well.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I'm just impressed that someone wants to buy a brand new, $13+k, >500 lbs ADV toy and use it as a beater bike.

I want this to replace half my garage. My DL650 + DRZ400 + VFR750 wrapped up in one lovely package, more or less.
    It'll definitely do that, based upon what I've seen/heard what you do with those 3 (now). Or you could save yourself 5+k and buy a used 950/990 and do the exact same thing.
    One of those won't, however, come with all that Honda character.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I'm uncomfortable replacing a MY2011 with a ~MY200x motorcycle, no matter what the odometer says. I'd rather just keep the 'strom.
    MY201x 990's go for a lot closer to the MSRP of this Honda, per my CL shopping. (You know I've looked.)
    I'd pay extra for an 1190 ADV R. (Because 140 HP bitches! ) But those are not available 2nd hand. Dealers I've talked to are pretty adamant about getting full asking for them.

National Powersports had an absurdly clean late model 990 ADV recently. I'm very curious what they set their price on it for. I'm guessing $12-14k. Unfortunately I didn't see it until it was already sold. Sales guy wouldn't tell me what they sold it for.

This Honda seems like a nice compromise and a solid value, comparatively. Even better that it comes with that new bike smell. Who doesn't like new bike smell?

I'm uncomfortable replacing a MY2011 with a ~MY200x motorcycle, no matter what the odometer says. I'd rather just keep the 'strom.
    MY201x 990's go for a lot closer to the MSRP of this Honda, per my CL shopping. (You know I've looked.)
    I'd pay extra for an 1190 ADV R. (Because 140 HP bitches! ) But those are not available 2nd hand. Dealers I've talked to are pretty adamant about getting full asking for them.

National Powersports had an absurdly clean late model 990 ADV recently. I'm very curious what they set their price on it for. I'm guessing $12-14k. Unfortunately I didn't see it until it was already sold. Sales guy wouldn't tell me what they sold it for.

This Honda seems like a nice compromise and a solid value, comparatively. Even better that it comes with that new bike smell. Who doesn't like new bike smell?
    You're like Kurlon with a rulebook!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Less personality than a Tiger 800?

I demo'd one and found it to be pleasant and nice, but completely devoid of personality.
    I guess personality is in the eye of the beholder. My Tiger is a far more engaging bike to ride than, say, my old V-Strom was. To me that "more than the sum of its parts" quality is personality. Other people consider personality to be vibration and roughness around the edges, and I can certainly see how those people would feel the Tiger has no personality.

Well, I wouldn't exactly be beating the thing off rocks. I might drop it every so often, but that's what crash bars are for. But I certainly won't ride it the way most people ride their $9000 KTM dirtbikes...

Keep in mind that with the 950/990 there's also the cost of ownership to consider. They're not low-maintenance bikes, even an oil change is a pain in the ass. From what I hear the 1190 is easier to live with, but I expect the Honda will be much easier still. Personally, I'd rather ride than wrench.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

oil change is a pita if you don't have the drain hose. With the drain hose, it's as easy as anything else with a skid plate.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

So the tube means you don't have to remove the left side tank? What about the filter and screens? Do you still need to drain from two places?
    I think you tried to explain this to me once. But I didn't understand until I googled pictures.

Yeah, tank, and lower end. But the hose allows you to do so without removing the fuel cell.

- - - Updated - - -

The real question is: what kind of oil do you put back in, after you've drained it all out...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Chip, easy buddy.

Let him buy the Africa Twin.

How else are we gunna be able to ride one if you talk him out of getting it?

I want to ride one!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Fine. But only chip gets to crash it. I still owe him that.

Edit: I assume I'm the "him" here, not Mark.

I'm gonna reverse psych you...this is feeling like the dirtbike for bubs thread

don't buy it!!!

low cog pos!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

pretty sure I'm buying one, looks like it'll tick all the right boxes for me.
    I'm with Mark on this bike

eat me

Lifer

Did find a couple almost reasonably priced late model KTM 990 ADV's out there. Fall pricing instead of some of the dreamers I saw just a couple months ago. But I just can't bring myself to get excited about the 990. Not wild about the looks. (Strange saying that as a V-Strom owner.) Not wild about what I've seen of the maintenance. Bike just seems too far to the dirt bike end of the dirt/street spectrum. And I'm just more comfortable owning a Honda than a euro bike. These are all YMMV things. Probably not rational. But eff it. Truth is I'd rather pay more for the Honda*.

Weird.

* Pending an in person touchy feely session.

Full press intro should be this weekend. Excited to read more reviews. I'm seriously considering going to the NYC show weekend after this as I expect this bike will be on display.

Come take my bike for a real long test ride. A 1/2 mile dirt road excursion isn't really proper, except now you know how to pick it up.
    Seriously, it's just sitting there. Take it for a weekend, whatever.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I'm feelin ya on the Honda vs 990 thoughts, Bubs.

I haven't ridden either though. I can't. Just like Chris' 1190 Adv down at Deals this year, or Nate's YZ450 tard. If I ride it, I'll likely buy one. Can't do that right now.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

I thought Nate was on a WR450. Didn't realize that was a close ratio YZ. You should be on the hunt for a newer, EFI WR450. Throw out the knobbies that come on it, lace up ice tires on the 21/18 wheels and fit SM wheels for the summer. Dirt roads, track days, ice, 2nd bike for Gap trips. Don't even bother taking it "real" off-roading. Use something else for that. (Basically what Woody done.)