Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Off Season Adrenaline for skiers

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

Off Season Adrenaline for skiers

I've finally found a way to satisfy my need for adrenaline during the off season. Those of you who are expert skiers should check out NADSNH.COM. It's the only citizen's DH racing series around. An entire schedule of races (and practice days) is up for this year. I haven't run DH boards since high school...never raced (wish I had). Nothing gets the juices flowing like hurling down the mountain at 70+ m.p.h. (except doing more than twice that on a bike).

Any NESR people who are up for it should reply or send me a pm. I'm already shopping for a new set of boards. Not going to risk running my old 223 Fishers from the mid-80s.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

Re: Off Season Adrenaline for skiers

Oh man, I regret never going for the downhill when I used to race. I was one of 2 people on my ski team that wanted to do downhill.

I dont think my knees could take it at this point though haha

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Just break down and But a Sled its a Blast.....I used to race Nastar and never did any super g stuff but it looks like some fun for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dont think my knees could take it at this point though haha
    Damn you...I saw your post on my bb last night and it started me thinking about my knees, which are really bad also (thanks to a lifetime of skiing). I may still give it a shot, but run Super G before any DH race. I also need to get in shape. My only cardio right now is a kickboxing workout every few days or so. I lift, but don't work on my legs. Time to get that going.

2020 KTM SMC R
    NO LIMIT

I'd be tempted if I wasn't pretty sure I'd be working on most of the race dates...my 215s would love to go fast rather than just sit in the corner. I'm not sure I can turn them anymore, though...that could be interesting.

I also wonder about the safety precautions with this series...I've heard that some of the open DH races in the past have been ludicrously far from normal best practices, which makes me wonder who's in charge of safety for this series and whether or not they have the background and the budget to do a good job (especially since none of the resorts listed have a homologated DH track).

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    I'd be tempted if I wasn't pretty sure I'd be working on most of the race dates...my 215s would love to go fast rather than just sit in the corner. I'm not sure I can turn them anymore, though...that could be interesting.

I also wonder about the safety precautions with this series...I've heard that some of the open DH races in the past have been ludicrously far from normal best practices, which makes me wonder who's in charge of safety for this series and whether or not they have the background and the budget to do a good job (especially since none of the resorts listed have a homologated DH track).
    Good points. I did not stop to consider the safety aspect. These guys seem fairly new, and they don't make any money on it. I think the angle is ski resort support for exposure. It was described to me, just buy a ski ticket for the day and you can race. That makes me think that safety considerations are not what you'd get in a sanctioned race. The guy said, we're insured so it allows us to open up the events to anyone. I was too excited about the prospect of being able to break out some long boards for a fast rip to consider anything else. As you know, it's impossible to do that any more with the mountains so clogged with people and rules about skiing fast. I guess if I'm not in it to win, and just have fun and be safe, what the heck?

2020 KTM SMC R
    NO LIMIT

Quote Originally Posted by bostongixxer View Post
    Good points. I did not stop to consider the safety aspect. These guys seem fairly new, and they don't make any money on it. I think the angle is ski resort support for exposure. It was described to me, just buy a ski ticket for the day and you can race. That makes me think that safety considerations are not what you'd get in a sanctioned race. The guy said, we're insured so it allows us to open up the events to anyone. I was too excited about the prospect of being able to break out some long boards for a fast rip to consider anything else. As you know, it's impossible to do that any more with the mountains so clogged with people and rules about skiing fast. I guess if I'm not in it to win, and just have fun and be safe, what the heck?
    It's a tough balancing act--I think back to some of the training situations I was in ten or so years ago, and I wouldn't want to be on the stand defending them if someone got hurt and his/her parents sued...but no one did get hurt, and it just ended up being good training. I've also come waaaay too close to eating a snowmaking resupply line at 45+ MPH due to inadequate skiing on my part and inadequate fencing on the organizer's part in a super-g (in a USSA-sanctioned event).

At the same time, I am now a certified coach and a certified referee, and I think I'd potentially be distracted by thinking "wow, that should really have another two rows of B-net...and that should have more protection on it..." while inspecting and running, and the last place I want to be distracted is in a DH race with less-than-stellar safety precautions. The amount of course prep and safety precautions necessary to run downhill is enormous, and it's also a big part of the reason that Sugarloaf is the onlyFIS downhill site in theeastern US.

With that said, I've never skied Magic and have no idea what they'd use for a downhill. I have raced DH at Mt. Snow, and that seemed like a fairly safe trail even with minimal fencing (it's a pretty darn wide trail through most of its length and not very turny, so you'd be more likely to just slide down the hill than end up wrapped around a tree immediately after crashing).

I hope this isn't considered off topic but Wachusett Mountain has night race leagues. It's a Nastar GS course not a downhill and it's on a intermediate trail not expert but it might satisfy an urge or two. You won't scare the crap out of yourself but you will be racing against a clock which for many is enough.

That's worth checking out. I never enjoyed gates that much in high school...to restricted...but it could be fun.

2020 KTM SMC R
    NO LIMIT

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i wanted to do few skier X races last year

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I'd be interested. What are the rules surrounding it? Fees?

I'm already signed up for the beer league at Crotched on Thursday nights (3rd year) and would need to get a pair of longer boards.... but am still interested.

Thanks,
    Fitz

As you know, it's impossible to do that any more with the mountains so clogged with people and rules about skiing fast.
    Fresh corduroy runs before the crowds show up on weekends and midweek still offer opportunity for fast runs. If you don't make it obvious by dropping into a tuck, ripping on beginner trails or buzzing other skiers you can still kick up the speed quite a bit without catching the eyes of the ski patrol.

The link for the Wachusett Night Race League is here. I race Wednesday nights as I have for the last several years. Two runs on my long boards (181cm) then either fun runs or straight to the bar. Keep in mind Wachusett does have speed police so if you're not on the course, you better watch for the guys with the blinking hats.

I should also mention that after Xmas I'm on the slopes every weekend and often blow off work midweek for "Board" meetings. If any of you experts are up for a day of speed, bumps, terrain park, powder or any combination just let me know where you'll be.

Last edited by Cheese; 11-21-08 at 09:01 PM.

Are there other nights to race? I have my kids every Wednesday night for an overnight. I could bring them, but it's tough on a school night to make it work. I'd like to try it out. I haven't raced since high school. Sounds like a good time.

2020 KTM SMC R
    NO LIMIT

Damn you...I saw your post on my bb last night and it started me thinking about my knees, which are really bad also (thanks to a lifetime of skiing). I may still give it a shot, but run Super G before any DH race. I also need to get in shape. My only cardio right now is a kickboxing workout every few days or so. I lift, but don't work on my legs. Time to get that going.

The best excercise for sking is sking IMO. Obviously if someone is already able to ski almost everyday then additional strength and cardio training will help but most people don't have that kind of time.

i raced downhill snowboarding for a few years. One year i worked out 4 times a week before work and snowboarded a couple times a week. But i did and felt much better the years i was able to snowboard almost everyday

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post
    Fresh corduroy runs before the crowds show up on weekends and midweek still offer opportunity for fast runs. If you don't make it obvious by dropping into a tuck, ripping on beginner trails or buzzing other skiers you can still kick up the speed quite a bit without catching the eyes of the ski patrol.

The link for the Wachusett Night Race League is here. I race Wednesday nights as I have for the last several years. Two runs on my long boards (181cm) then either fun runs or straight to the bar. Keep in mind Wachusett does have speed police so if you're not on the course, you better watch for the guys with the blinking hats.

I should also mention that after Xmas I'm on the slopes every weekend and often blow off work midweek for "Board" meetings. If any of you experts are up for a day of speed, bumps, terrain park, powder or any combination just let me know where you'll be.
    I used to go to Wachusett literally everyday for years...i lived right there on Mountain road. We probably crossed paths a few times. I raced on Thursday nights. The best part was the beer at the copper top after

I'll meet up with you to ride this winter if i can just get my gear (3 boards, 2 sets of bindings and two pairs of boots) FYI don't break up with a girl and leave your stuff at her appt. I moved in with a girl in TN (right near the Gap ) then broke up with her and came back up here to take care of some stuff with the business i was selling and she moved. I took a bunch of my stuff with me but not everything. I've been trying to get her to ship them back to me....we'll see how that goes

Are there other nights to race? I have my kids every Wednesday night for an overnight. I could bring them, but it's tough on a school night to make it work. I'd like to try it out. I haven't raced since high school. Sounds like a good time.
    They have teams racing Monday-Thursday nights. I think you have to pick a night and stick with it but I could be mistaken. Either form a team or jump on one that's already established. The link I posted above should answer your questions.

Beer league racing can be a ton of fun. I raced at Bolton for a few years, which got a bit expensive when I was living up there (no worrying about driving = expensive bar tabs), and I'm racing in Killington's ski bum series (Wednesday races, Wednesday afternoon/early evening video review sessions at fine local businesses) now.

As far as skiing fast outside of a course: you can usually manage "pretty fast" first thing in the morning on weekends (as in, first one or maybe two chair rides) and most weekdays, if you pick the right trails. However, I've never found skiing fast on an open trail to compare--even remotely--to running an actual downhill track on long boards and in a suit. Kinda like track days and open roads...there's just a different level when the public's out of the way.