Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Airbag Vests - recommendations?

Re: Airbag Vests - recommendations?

I'm using a Spidi air vest. 20 bucks for a replacement cartridge. NYST did a group buy for $500, that included vest and trackday.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ps-airbag-vest

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I'm using a Spidi air vest. 20 bucks for a replacement cartridge. NYST did a group buy for $500, that included vest and trackday.

I wanted to do that 2 weeks ago, but the free trackday can't include the pig roast, so I declined.

Banned

Does the Klim qualify as a back protector for trackday use?

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    I wanted to do that 2 weeks ago, but the free trackday can't include the pig roast, so I declined.
    It’s a good deal without the day, but couldn’t you just pick another day to use it?

Banned

It’s a good deal without the day, but couldn’t you just pick another day to use it?
    With hindsight, I should have. $500 is a great deal either way, youre right. I think I prefer the Klim though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Cool deal for sure, Any idea if this would fit over a race bump? Thx

Not sure. There is adjust ability. I'm sure they have addressed it on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
    it uses the phone for updates to the AI and is not required for operation on a day to day basis. I ordered it. You can buy the electronics part for $300 - so $700 all in.

My concern is the AI part...if I get the wrong ice cream and start a tantrum with and jump all around am I going to inflate?...sending my dong patch flying?
    You might want to double check this. A month ago I was chatting with Klim about their airbag. They stated that the phone must always be connected via Bluetooth AND must always have cell signal for the vest to be functional. You also must have the app running at all times when using the airbag.
    but
    To say the least I crossed it off my list quickly. Now looking at the Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 "vest" but it's not available anywhere due to supply issues.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I've had the techair race suit for 3 seasons now. I have had to send it back once. 300 bucks. I'm good with that as they test and inspect the electronics and bag itself. I guess if you crash 2-3 times per event it would get pricey...

Paul_E_D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    You might want to double check this. A month ago I was chatting with Klim about their airbag. They stated that the phone must always be connected via Bluetooth AND must always have cell signal for the vest to be functional. You also must have the app running at all times when using the airbag.
    but
    To say the least I crossed it off my list quickly. Now looking at the Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 "vest" but it's not available anywhere due to supply issues.
    I'm pretty sure the detection box in the vest is standalone. It only connects to the phone for charging, data collection and updates.

I'm pretty sure the detection box in the vest is standalone. It only connects to the phone for charging, data collection and updates.
    That is what makes sense but according to Klim it is not. I even saved the chat transcript.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Banned

That is what makes sense but according to Klim it is not. I even saved the chat transcript.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    That would be a deal breaker for me

That would be a deal breaker for me
    it was for me.

Klim is mistaken.

"Once activate, the In&box is totally independent and does not need to be connected to the mobile app to be functional."

https://www.inemotion.com/en/support...%20functional.

Additionally it only updates via wifi (that gets setup in the app) and while charging. The app also allows street/track switching.

6 hours riding today...95 degrees at one point, even if the vest arrived, not sure I could handle the extra layer (although it would have been a good test).

This is an inemotion vest (does not appear to be klim) deployed while stopped and they dropped the bike and themselves...(end of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Du6...&feature=share

Last edited by two-rocks; 08-11-20 at 04:04 PM.

The Klim Ai-1 arrived, had 80% charge, and getting things setup only took a few minutes. I ordered a large, but usually wear XL - my fit was in between the sizes and wanted it a bit snug. It worked, very comfortable and has some stretch for additional base layers when the air conditioning is back on.

Seems well built and without the back protector in my jacket was not even noticed. Some good parts are the auto off function (turns on when you pick it up and beeps), in addition to the button on the back (near the lights). A third switch to turn it completely off when control is removed from the vest. Just an additional layer to add when gearing up. It will add heat, but with the front of the airbag vest partially unzipped, the mesh outer jacket I wear felt about the same as before. The bonus was the jacket felt more stable in high wind as the back protector was part of the slightly more snug fit of the vest.

Not sure how I feel about the lack of water resistance (just two days ago was riding in a t-storm downpour). Going to lease for now. maybe an update will have a sealed Tron box.

The manual said not to go all hooligan after adding the vest - I didn't listen, see - they kind of brought it up, right? Also just added the auto-tune module for the power commander and had to work all RPM's, just HAD to ;-)

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by two-rocks; 08-14-20 at 03:54 PM.

The Klim Ai-1 arrived, had 80% charge, and getting things setup only took a few minutes. I ordered a large, but usually wear XL - my fit was in between the sizes and wanted it a bit snug. It worked, very comfortable and has some stretch for additional base layers when the air conditioning is back on.

Seems well built and without the back protector in my jacket was not even noticed. Some good parts are the auto off function (turns on when you pick it up and beeps), in addition to the button on the back (near the lights). A third switch to turn it completely off when control is removed from the vest. Just an additional layer to add when gearing up. It will add heat, but with the front of the airbag vest partially unzipped, the mesh outer jacket I wear felt about the same as before. The bonus was the jacket felt more stable in high wind as the back protector was part of the slightly more snug fit of the vest.

Not sure how I feel about the lack of water resistance (just two days ago was riding in a t-storm downpour). Going to lease for now. maybe an update will have a sealed Tron box.

The manual said not to go all hooligan after adding the vest - I didn't listen, see - they kind of brought it up, right? Also just added the auto-tune module for the power commander and had to work all RPM's, just HAD to ;-)
    Thanks for the detailed review. Good to know that it functions without connecting to the app. I also called Klim (again) to confirm.

Regarding fit, is it designed to fit shorter than a standard jacket. The Alpinestars TechAir-5 was way too short for me and they seemed to be designed to end at the belly button for whatever reason. I wear touring jackets and sport leather jackets and would like a vest that is not too long.

The Alpinestars TechAir-5 was way too short for me and they seemed to be designed to end at the belly button for whatever reason. I wear touring jackets and sport leather jackets and would like a vest that is not too long.
    Not sure how the Alpinestars fits, but the klim fits under my sport jacket fine (just above the jacket edge). The back protector part seems longer than the jacket back protector that is removed, goes lower down the spine and if I slump I can feel it.

Not sure how the Alpinestars fits, but the klim fits under my sport jacket fine (just above the jacket edge). The back protector part seems longer than the jacket back protector that is removed, goes lower down the spine and if I slump I can feel it.
    Ordered the Klim. Found out they offer great discounts for MSF Ridercoaches so it was a nobrainer. Ended up ordering both M and L since I always struggle with fit. Will post up a review after I test it out thoroughly.

Ordered the Klim. Found out they offer great discounts for MSF Ridercoaches so it was a nobrainer. Ended up ordering both M and L since I always struggle with fit. Will post up a review after I test it out thoroughly.
    Don't test it too thoroughly!

Paul_E_D

Klim said track mode hasn't been released with no ETA. Are you able to see if it is available?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Don't test it too thoroughly!
    This!
    I have been taking off and putting it on in such a way to set the bag off (rough)....without success, a good thing.

Stopped at a food truck the other day...what if I was choking and someone whacks you on the back (yes you'd be stopped, but...)?
    A group ride, what if someone rides by and slaps your back (like a ball tap from college years...)?
    My MT-07 front wheel likes to fly sometimes, and sometimes I allow it to do so (I'm not good at this!) - have been making sure the landing is very very soft, but what if it's not?

Hopefully your testing will include similar things, but not a 'real' test...

- - - Updated - - -

Klim said track mode hasn't been released with no ETA. Are you able to see if it is available?
    it is not able to be selected in the APP (grayed out).

Ordered an XS IXON airbag vest from Motostorm in Italy (wife needed an XS and KLIM is not making that size). Same thing - different cosmetics.

Last edited by two-rocks; 08-31-20 at 12:28 PM.

Got an email from NYST. Still doing the Spidi airvest deal with trackday.

SPIDI AIR VESTS - FREE TRACK DAY WITH PURCHASE
    Take your riding to the next level of safety with our new 2020 SPIDI Air Vests!

They are the absolute best form of protection you can have on the track and the perfect 'just in case' item.

There's a reason that we have almost everyone riding with them at NYST - so make sure to get yours now!

Each purchase comes with a FREE TRACK DAY!

Call us at 917-615-5355 to reserve yours today.

I have personally crash tested the Helite GP Air multiple times now, and it keeps going. I've seen the Hit Air vests deconstruct in one lowside.

The construction of the GP Air is superior to most others, they are constructed with leather and slide better. There's a chest protector essentially built into it as well. They inflate around the neck and back more than most of the other vests from what I can tell.

I have a brand new size Large for sale for $750 shipped if anyone is in the market.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Just got back from a 15 day trip down south to ride the Dragon and the surrounding areas. What a place to ride! Put 5,000 miles on with the Klim AI-1 vest.

Few observations
    - We averaged 330 miles and 12 hour days. I ended the day with 55-65% battery remaining.
    - It was hot down there; some days 90 degrees and humid. I'm sure having a vest with airbags did not help with air flow. I was switching back and forth between a semi mesh jacket and textile jacket. As long as I was moving then it felt fine on my S1000XR which has mid sized windshield. I also really hate the heat.
    - the front left side panel looks to have material bunching up on the inside. When I feel around in there it feels like its the airbag material bunching up. This runs from the top of the should to the bottom of the vest. I don't believe it affects the function if it ever deploys but it doesn't look good aesthetically. It probably won't bother most people.
    - the vest likes to slide down the back due to more weight on the back of the vest. this causes the front to pull up showing what's underneath the vest. this also causes the tail of the vest on the back to bunch up and fold under itself. I haven't noticed it affects comfort.
    - a lot of people ask about it since they see the LEDs on the back. Both motorcyclists and regular folks have no idea what it is. I walked into a BMW in NC who had these in stock. Apparently they have no sold a single vest since they started carrying them in May. They were really curious about my feedback because I am the first one they've seen in the wild.

Just noticed Helite has made a 2.0 version of the GP Air. Seems to be the best of both worlds incorporating an electronic package and keeping the simplicity of the interchangeable C02 canister. Looks the exact same as the tethered version otherwise. Curious to see what the price tag will be... https://www.helite.com/moto-airbag-e...pilot-e-gp-air

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast