Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Airbag Vests - recommendations?

Re: Airbag Vests - recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1991 View Post
    Just noticed Helite has made a 2.0 version of the GP Air. Seems to be the best of both worlds incorporating an electronic package and keeping the simplicity of the interchangeable C02 canister. Looks the exact same as the tethered version otherwise. Curious to see what the price tag will be... https://www.helite.com/moto-airbag-e...pilot-e-gp-air
    I have heard through various rumor mills that it will be $150-200 over the MSRP of the GP Air now so it's up there, but about the same as the Alpinestars tech-air race which you need a compatible suit for. Covid delayed Helite getting it to market for this season, otherwise I might have gone with it. I'll be trying out a tech-air race setup next season... that is if I keep enough weight off this winter. Damn small suit once the airbag is in there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Quote Originally Posted by Zolden View Post
    I have heard through various rumor mills that it will be $150-200 over the MSRP of the GP Air now so it's up there, but about the same as the Alpinestars tech-air race which you need a compatible suit for. Covid delayed Helite getting it to market for this season, otherwise I might have gone with it. I'll be trying out a tech-air race setup next season... that is if I keep enough weight off this winter. Damn small suit once the airbag is in there.
    Hell yeah let us know how it goes. Assuming the electronics are on point if it's a 200 dollar difference that isn't too bad considering how well received the first vest has been. Not the prettiest things but they're solid. I know Revit has some compatible suits with Techair now as well so it's becoming easier and easier to take that route too. Time will tell

If anyone comes across any updates or group buys please post up. I am hoping to pull the trigger on before season but still undecided on which one.

Little bit more info on the Klim Airbag vest. I called to pause the monthly subscription since my season is now over. Was told that I can pause up to 4 months of the year. If I want to pause the subscription longer I would have to send the brain portion back in. I would pay shipping each way.

I think what's nice about the Klim is that you can keep updated on the technology without spending so much. I imagine I would be using this system for 2 years until better technology replaces it.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I got a Held e-vest with electronics by inmotion a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to this in under my suit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Little bit more info on the Klim Airbag vest. I called to pause the monthly subscription since my season is now over. Was told that I can pause up to 4 months of the year. If I want to pause the subscription longer I would have to send the brain portion back in. I would pay shipping each way.

I think what's nice about the Klim is that you can keep updated on the technology without spending so much. I imagine I would be using this system for 2 years until better technology replaces it.
    Ohh...yeah...KLIM, Held, Ixon... everyone of those equipped with the inmotion system. Not thrilled about the subscription fee but would submit that it is a very nice system

Alpinestars Street vests are on sale on some outlets. I'm afraid that it's algorithm is set for the track. Anybody have any insight on this?

My Held is large size brand new with tags. Slightly loose on me...then again...it could just be a function of the elastic construction. I'll let it go for $360... which is $40 less then what I paid for including shipping from Europe, and will help me purchasing a medium. I'll deliver ti greater Boston but will not take a penny less. Shoot me a PM if interested. Cheers, Eddie

Last edited by Eddie; 12-26-20 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Alpinestars Street vests are on sale on some outlets. I'm afraid that it's algorithm is set for the track. Anybody have any insight on this?

On hold for a friend. Cheers y'all

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    My Held is large size brand new with tags. Slightly loose on me...then again...it could just be a function of the elastic construction. I'll let it go for $360... which is $40 less then what I paid for including shipping from Europe, and will help me purchasing a medium. I'll deliver ti greater Boston but will not take a penny less. Shoot me a PM if interested. Cheers, Eddie

On hold for a friend. Cheer y'all.

Been a while since airbags have been out, whats the popular word ?
    I am interested in one that could be used on both street/track

Looking at reviews for these I boiled some down

1) Alpinestars RaceTech Air : No neck protection, expensive to recharge, optimal to wear with Alpinestars jackets
    2) Helite Turtle : Tether, 25$ self recharge ,wonder about not deploying on a low slide, no abrasion protection
    3) Helite GP Air : Tether, abrasion protection, would this work for the street ? perhaps Helite vest is best to double as track & street
    4) Klim : Subscription, electronic, needs to be charged

So far I am leaning toward a Helite Turtle or Helite vest, both are tethered. I am also getting a good deal on the Alpinestars Air (2019) barely used at around 750$

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Tech Air 5 will probably be my next purchase. No tether. Selectable street or track algorithm. Only big downside is one pop per service.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Tech Air 5 will probably be my next purchase. No tether. Selectable street or track algorithm. Only big downside is one pop per service.
    yeah that is a big one but then again one shouldnt really be deploying it too many times.
    Although in track mode only 1 can is used, so you dont need to send it in until the 2nd deployment.

With a race suit I found it to be conforming, for street if one were to pair it with a mesh Alpinestars jacket it would work fine.
    It doesnt offer as much whiplash neck protection as the Klim or Helite.

Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 04-08-21 at 09:10 AM.

The one on top of my list now is the
    Helite Custom Airbag Vest : Tethered, 25$ replacement cartridge, leather, looks nice too, convenient to put on.

Damn these things are not in stock for weeks, pulled the trigger on Helite Custom Airbag Vest, only 1 left at Revzilla.

Last edited by Karate.Snoopy; 04-08-21 at 10:33 AM.

I had an older Helite Turtle (with the canister on the outside). I used it for half of one track day. I needed to take the race hump out of my suit to get it to fit decent. But that external canister piece scratched the hell out of my tank in only like 2 sessions. I switched to using that on my upright street bike, and bought a Helite GP-Air for the track.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    I had an older Helite Turtle (with the canister on the outside). I used it for half of one track day. I needed to take the race hump out of my suit to get it to fit decent. But that external canister piece scratched the hell out of my tank in only like 2 sessions. I switched to using that on my upright street bike, and bought a Helite GP-Air for the track.
    Yes I did read about it, I will primarily be using this for street, for track if I ever get back to it this year I may consider the Alpinestars or GP Air

Helite Custom Leather vest came in.
    Looks very nice, leather is high quality
    I am a size medium, wear jacket size US 42. This fit perfectly on top of my leather jacket (back pro removed) and does not feel any heavier
    Airbag Vests - recommendations?-helite-front-jpgAirbag Vests - recommendations?-helite-jpg

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    Been a while since airbags have been out, whats the popular word ?
    I am interested in one that could be used on both street/track

Looking at reviews for these I boiled some down

1) Alpinestars RaceTech Air : No neck protection, expensive to recharge, optimal to wear with Alpinestars jackets
    2) Helite Turtle : Tether, 25$ self recharge ,wonder about not deploying on a low slide, no abrasion protection
    3) Helite GP Air : Tether, abrasion protection, would this work for the street ? perhaps Helite vest is best to double as track & street
    4) Klim : Subscription, electronic, needs to be charged

So far I am leaning toward a Helite Turtle or Helite vest, both are tethered. I am also getting a good deal on the Alpinestars Air (2019) barely used at around 750$
    I settled on the Helite e-GP Air a couple months ago but as someone noted: availability in the US has been significantly delayed. IIRC ETA early summer.

Not sure why people are so hung up on the subscription for the Klim. Don't want the subscription? pay the $400 and get the lifetime subscription. Done.

I prefer the subscription $12 a month, and pause it in the winter. It's a constantly evolving technology. I plan on moving on to a newer system in 2 years. Cost would be $592 ($400 vest, 16 months of subscription) minus whatever I sell it for. I guess non-subscription vests are better if you plan on using it forever.

Also nice that I can service it myself if it pops.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I crashed heavily last race weekend. On the way in to T3 before tip in, so FAST. I hit the deck really hard on my right shoulder and then hit air fence at about 65+ mph which set of a chaotic tumble. Airbag deployed, zero injuries. Thanks Astars!

Paul_E_D

So after 20,000 miles I got a chance to crash test the airbag. I entered in a double apex corner. Wasn't expecting it to be a double apex. When the corner tightened up a second time I counter steered more and tucked the front end and low sided at 40-45mph. I was wearing Klim Kodiak jacket and pants, and Klim Ai-1 airbag. Slid 40-50 feet on pavement before sliding on grass another 20-30 feet. I can't say for sure when did the airbag popped but it was deployed when I was getting back up from the ground. I can say for sure that I have no pain or bruising of any kind on my torso. I always wondered if my gear had enough room for it to expand when deployed as it was semi snug. Seems like it was able to fully deploy.

Deflation after deployment is done by manually unscrewing the argon cannister. It doesn't have to be removed. Just twist it off enough so air can deflate from the vest. After deployment the light on the brain for "inflator" will be a different color.

Anyone used this one?
    Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 System
    New verson has track mode. Wondering about sizing also...

Last edited by MUZ720; 05-07-22 at 05:45 AM.

i ended up buy this unit along with a Alpinstairs Missile suit. pretty cool tech.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    i ended up buy this unit along with a Alpinstairs Missile suit. pretty cool tech.
    Nice setup.

Paul_E_D

Curious what's different about track mode? Isn't track mode...sorta implied by the product category?

I have a not-yet-ridden Missile suit with the (original?) tech air internals...

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Track mode vs street mode: the events that will trigger in street mode are different. Track mode doesn't arm itself until you start averaging 40 or something. So it won't deploy in the pits etc.

Paul_E_D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast