Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Altered exhaust ticket WTF!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by cbrf41999
    I know what you are saying with drinking laws etc. But in regards to MV laws, theoretically it makes sense, but in NH you cannot have your front drivers compartment windows tinited. In MA you can, can you not drive your car into NH? I know you can, but I also know in NH you cannot have ape hanger bars, but inother states you can, but if you have them in NH they will ticket for it?
    Im pretty sure you cant have the front compartment tinted in MA although some do it anyway. The worst offenders of the law are the state troopers that have an incredibly dark tint on all windows except for the windshield. As for the ape hangers. I think the little guys are ok here but above the shoulder is technically not allowed. Once again people do it anyway. Usually wont get bothered unless youre either be stupid or find some hardass that is out to ruin days.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

actully, the helemet law is the best example of this. should NH ppl not have to wear helemets in MA becuase they dont have to in NH? ultimatlly, it is going to come down to how much local police feel like enforcing their state law..be it helemts, exhaust, tinted windows, etc...

"Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

I sell Jeeps, odd factoid;

In VA they don't sell Liberty's with the Renegade package since they have lights on the roof, VA has some law against it, but I bet if you drove through VA with MA plates and lights on the roof it would be okay, my .02...

Originally posted by cbrf41999
    I know what you are saying with drinking laws etc. But in regards to MV laws, theoretically it makes sense, but in NH you cannot have your front drivers compartment windows tinited. In MA you can, can you not drive your car into NH? I know you can, but I also know in NH you cannot have ape hanger bars, but inother states you can, but if you have them in NH they will ticket for it?

Kevin
    '05 Warrior
    Quincy, MA
    AIM: BostonianR6

Just Registered

Originally posted by union
    Im pretty sure you cant have the front compartment tinted in MA although some do it anyway. The worst offenders of the law are the state troopers that have an incredibly dark tint on all windows except for the windshield. As for the ape hangers. I think the little guys are ok here but above the shoulder is technically not allowed. Once again people do it anyway. Usually wont get bothered unless youre either be stupid or find some hardass that is out to ruin days.
    I believe front compartment is ok if tinted to a composite visible light transmission of at min 35%. Below that, the tint guy wants cash.

Drive to NH, drive like a dick, you get to peel it off then and there, or pay$$.

Originally posted by Rye
    Next time your gonna get pulled over...take no chances on a tow, regardless of what reason you may be getting pulled over. Pull into a PRIVATE lot of some sort. They can not tow from private property. They can wait til you decide to leave and nail yah but by that time my pickup would be on the way with loading ramp. This is, however, a bad sign.

FYI if you are observed on a public way and have committed a violation it doesn't matter where you pull into... you can be arrested, cited, towed... whatever the case may be...

Carry on

Unhappy Pipes

I've been told due to recent complants from "certain" people in the town Kent CT that the cops have set up inspection areas to bust motorcyclist with "modified exhausts" A few friends told me about a couple weeks ago since it was written up in the local paper. I think that it's a bit over kill since Route7 runs strait through the center of the town. There's a few resturants, Country "Mall", deli's, car dealer, clothing shops and a fire house.
    I've by-passed the town , the other route is much nicer anyways.
    It's to bad since it's a nice area to stop for breakfast or lunch. The street usually is lined with bikes on Sundays.
    On something like this we should pass the word to every biker and ban that area. Lets see what is said then. It's to bad since I'm sure the resturants,deli's and stores love all the extra business. Every time I stopped in to have breakfast every place was full.

On a side note we got pulled over Saturday in Danbury after leaving from the Ducati demo day at Cliff's. The Cop was OK though - pulling us (2) over due to my friend's plate location - to far in the wheel well. He just gave him a verbal warning. Then well as long as I'm just sitting there he wants to check my paperwork All cool since I have nothing to hide
    Well I was in contact with my friend and he put the factory plate mount back on Monday.

I would fight the ticket and in teh mean time would get the spec sheet fro your exhaust to see if the dBa level is still within legal limits. I'd hate to be on a HD in that town......

All I want for Christmas is another rear tire.....

http://www.ratemythong.com/indexhome.php

Originally posted by Cue Ball
    I would fight the ticket and in teh mean time would get the spec sheet fro your exhaust to see if the dBa level is still within legal limits. I'd hate to be on a HD in that town......
    That is why they have modified exhaust as the rule, not really DB level. Any aftermarket exhausts are ILLEGAL, they are not dumb, they make the law easy to enforce if they so decide to.

I wonder if he was a newbie, I think acadamy just let out a few months ago. A lot of guys get sent out west after graduation.

He sounds like he is new and full of energy if he's out to "get every one of 'em" as you quoted.

I would contest it and I would also really focus on being polite, well-supported with facts and data including pictures of 'your' bike with the STOCK pipes on it etc. Just for showing up they'll probably half the fine as it is.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Found that article that was in the Lakeville Journal
    Note in the article about how easy it is to get the noise tickets throw out of court that's why they do the modified exhaust ones.

Kent to Bikers: Less Vroom!
    05-18-2006 -- By PATRICK L. SULLIVAN

KENT — Spring is here and along with forsythia, tulips and bears, the Northwest Corner is seeing the return of packs of bikers — especially the motorized variety.

While bicyclers in large road-clogging packs can create annoyances of their own, it’s the motorcyclists who have prompted the most ire from residents of nearby towns, especially Kent, a popular stop on many cycle tours.

Lieutenant Mark Sticca, commander of State Police Troop L, met with a dozen residents of Kent Tuesday, May 16, to propose a solution to complaints about loud motorcycles and increased traffic — a perennial concern as the summer tourist season begins.

"It’s a delicate balance" for law enforcement, said Sticca. "We don’t want to alienate people who have a right to ride motorcycles through town.

"We are trying to alter behavior. And the word gets out for operators of any type of motor vehicle — you’ve got to tone it down."

Asked if he really believed offensive motorists are subject to behavior modification, he replied "Absolutely. Look at Litchfield."

Similar concerns in Litchfield sparked an initiative last summer. "They had the same motorcycle problems, plus speeders and aggressive drivers.

"Over a couple of weekends, we targeted loud motorcycles, speeders, and aggressive drivers. On Memorial Day weekend, the first day we handed out 35 tickets for altered pipes [on motorcycles]. The second day, 24 tickets were issued.

"And the rest of the summer was pretty quiet."

Sticca added there was no decrease in the amount of traffic; rather, motorists were behaving "appropriately" after the enforcement effort. "Right now we are formulating a game plan for a similar effort in Kent."

That plan seemed appealing to those who attend the meeting. Many businesses count bikers and other seasonal motorists as valued customers, First Selectman Ruth Epstein commented, but residents chafe at the noise, the parking congestion and speeding vehicles of all descriptions.

"I’ve heard from churchgoers who can’t hear the sermons" over the sound of Sunday morning traffic, Epstein said.

Residents said that the noise from vehicles as they speed up when leaving town on North Main Street can seem deafening.

"We can’t have a conversation in the back yard," said James Blackketter, who lives on the street.

One resident noted that "Most bikers are regular people. They have a Mercedes or a Lexus at home, and they ride on weekends.

"The problem is they come in groups. But you can’t tell people they can only come in a Mercedes."

Heads nodded in agreement when another man said, "People are fed up with the disrespect." He described motorcyclists manuevering their machines up on the sidewalk to park.

Sticca said that one problem with enforcing state regulations on the noise of motor vehicles — not just motorcycles — is that it’s not always easy, and that such tickets are often dismissed if challenged in court.

Tickets for improperly modified vehicles, however, stand up better.

How rapidly such an effort can be launched, and with what degree of intensity, is not yet determined.

Factors include manpower availability and the cost of paying overtime to troopers. Some towns have police overtime built into their budgets; Kent does not, according to Epstein.

Sticca said Litchfield paid for the overtime with grant money. He also noted that other state police initiatives — seatbelt enforcement, expanded drunk driving patrols and an anti-aggressive-driving campaign — "could easily be rolled over" into the kind of enforcement done in Litchfield last year.

"Right now Kent is at the top of the priority chart."

One possible solution is to hire a second resident trooper — a tricky prospect in a budget-conscious town.

Resident State Trooper Keith Asman said the advantage of a second trooper is the officer could be directly assigned to traffic duty, leaving the other free to respond to other situations.

In the meantime, Sticca thanked residents for voicing

The mercedes and lexus analogy to me was a bit odd. What if they drove an Cavalier or a Tercel? Does that make them any less civilized?

They should just get a couple of reserve cops for $20 an hour or whatever it is, and they can turn it into a profitable business.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

There are a lot of money in Kent due to fact there is a highend Private school there.
    But hey Route 7 runs right through the center of the town and to bust people on bikes just sucks -- Now I'm not standing up for the real loud bikes but come on. I'm running a Micron slip-on setup on my R1 and it's not loud but I'm not going to chanced it with the cops busting/ticketing me for it. So they (snobs) get their way I'm staying away. So the "Mercedes and Lexus" people can have their way. But anyone with real money there doesn't live on main street it's just the snobs that have a little and want it their way.

I was going to post up the link to MGL 90-16 at lunch today, but was beat to it..LOL.

I think you should fight this ticket based on the fact that the cop that pulled you over had no basis for it as he never did any kind of sound measuring to determine the mufflers are " altered in a manner to amplfy or increase the noise" as compared to sthe stock mufflers. MGL chapter 90, section 7U goes into the maximum d(B)a level for bikes:

CHAPTER 90. MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT

MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 90: Section 7U. Motorcycles; maximum sound levels

Section 7U. No person shall operate a motorcycle intended for use on the highways of the commonwealth and registered under the provisions of section two of chapter ninety at any time or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed eighty-two decibels when operated within a speed zone of forty-five miles per hour or less, or in such a manner as to exceed eighty-six decibels when operated within a speed zone of over forty-five miles per hour measured at fifty feet using the prescribed highway vehicle sound level measurement procedure.

No person shall operate a motorcycle intended for use off the highways of the commonwealth and registered under the provisions of section twenty-two of chapter ninety B at any time that exceeds one hundred and three decibels measured at twenty inches, or one-half meter, using the prescribed stationary vehicle sound level measurement procedure. For enforcement purposes a tolerance of plus two decibels shall be applied to all measured sound levels of in-use vehicles to provide for variances in equipment calibration, measurement site characteristics and measurement techniques.

and:

CHAPTER 90. MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT

MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 90: Section 7T. Motorcycle sound levels; testing regulations

Section 7T. The registrar shall adopt regulations establishing test procedures and instrumentation to be utilized for measuring sound levels of in-use vehicles. Such regulation shall include site criteria and moving and stationary vehicle measurement procedures and shall take into consideration accepted scientific and professional methods for the measurement of vehicular sound levels. The measurement procedures shall include adjustment factors to be applied to the noise limit for measurement distances of other than fifty feet from the center of the lane of travel and shall allow the extent feasible sound level measurement and enforcement action to be accomplished in reasonably confined areas such as residential areas of urban cities and off highway locations. Test procedures established by the registrar shall be in substantial conformance with applicable standards and practices established or recommended by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

My point is who is he to determine that an aftermarket exhaust is any louder thnan OEM? Obviously, I know it is, but he should not be able to rely on his instincts as to who is loud and who is not.

I would also argue the fact that your bike is a V Twin and is prone to be louder than other bikes by design. (I think you said it was an RC51). Just my .02.

Lastly, I think somebody said this already, but according to "Citable motorvehicle offenses" as listed on Mass.gov, the fine for chp 90-16 is $50 bucks not $100, that would further go to discredit the competency of the cop that stopped you.

KICK HIS ASS SEA BISCUIT!

edit: I wonder how many tickets they handed out to the ricers with coffee can exhausts on thie cars and the 18 inch woofers banging????

edit: I wonder how many tickets they handed out to the ricers with coffee can exhausts on thie cars and the 18 inch woofers banging????
    a lot i would guess...atleast on the stereo stuff...back in the day I was into this stuff and got 3 tickets for disturbing the peace...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

KICK HIS ASS SEA BISCUIT!
    lol.. i think you mixed up your movies, cue ball. it's sea bass.

Lifer

I've now been pulled over 4 times in the past two weeks for nothing. Officers are pretty polite when they're pulling you over for absolutely nothing and see an MPA sticker. ESPECIALLY when they're out ranked and/or the sticker was issed to me from thier boss.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Lifer

Originally posted by bump909
    lol.. i think you mixed up your movies, cue ball. it's sea bass.
    Why don't you make like a tree....and get the fuck outta here!

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

I'm definately fighting it,i was idling at a red light and not revving the bike just sitting.I know what he heard from my relatively tame (for the rc51) moriwaki's was not very loud at all......I need my license so i've really tamed down my street riding ALOT and now i get fuked with.... Go figure

what exactly is a "modified exhaust"? in my mind a modifief exhaust would be ur stock exhaust with the internals removed. an exhaust from another company isn't modified in anyway..... its built as is. its complete. just how i always saw it.

what bugs me more than harlys beign louder than sport bikes are these rice cars and flo-mastered v-8 trucks that are just as loud or louder than sportbikes but they never get shit.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Originally posted by Leebo
    What is an MPA sticker???? Are you cop also???
    Isn't it MPA a military police?

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Originally posted by Leebo
    What is an MPA sticker???? Are you cop also???
    Massachusetts Police Association I believe.

Go Big or Go Home!

2000 Ducati 900SS
    1992 CBR 600 F2 (sold)

Originally posted by cbrburns
    Massachusetts Police Association I believe.
    Basically having the sticker says you are in the "FNF" (friends & family) network of the MSP.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

i need one of those stickers.. where do i paypal my five bucks?

Originally posted by bump909
    i need one of those stickers.. where do i paypal my five bucks?
    To your best friend who you grew up with that became a MSP trooper

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast