Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

American Motorcycle Association endorses lane splitting

American Motorcycle Association endorses lane splitting

I understand that not everyone here is a fan of the AMA (and I don't particularly want to have a discussion about the pros and cons of the AMA) they have recently decided to endorse lane splitting.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/12/1...ane-splitting/
    http://americanmotorcyclist.com/Righ...Splitting.aspx

Makes me almost want to join the AMA.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: American Motorcycle Association endorses lane splitting

It's about time. That's a great practice, that is allowed in pretty much all of the rest of the world. In the U.S., only CA really allows it. That's one of only two things I miss about CA since moving here. (The other is 24-hour availability of cheap tasty Mexican food.)

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lane splitting is fun. They'll never allow it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Doesn't surprise me in the least that a motorcylist advocacy group supports the practice, but how do you convince the rest of the population?

Seems to me that there are few arguments for lane splitting that benefit the drivers. Most popular is the supposition that lane splitting reduces traffic congestion. But really, if a driver is stuck in traffic and two bikes cruise by, do you really think the driver's first thought is going to be, 'great! that's two cars I'm not stuck behind!'? Or is it more likely that the most laid back driver is going to think, 'I wish I could do that!' and the average Masshole is basically going to hate the riders for cutting the line (jealousy either way)? And, be honest, in the grand scheme of a traffic jam, two bikes squeaking by is not going to help reduce the traffic jam.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

great that they like it, but it won't change anything

stats somewhere say you're more likely to get rear ended than hit from the side

Last edited by breakdirt916; 12-14-13 at 12:02 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

More likely to have a door opened on you in MA than to actually be hit by a vehicle while doing this (admittedly) illegal riding ... Easy to predict cars moving around lanes, harder to imagine and avoid someone intentionally aiming to harm you out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Doesn't surprise me in the least that a motorcylist advocacy group supports the practice, but how do you convince the rest of the population?

Seems to me that there are few arguments for lane splitting that benefit the drivers. Most popular is the supposition that lane splitting reduces traffic congestion. But really, if a driver is stuck in traffic and two bikes cruise by, do you really think the driver's first thought is going to be, 'great! that's two cars I'm not stuck behind!'? Or is it more likely that the most laid back driver is going to think, 'I wish I could do that!' and the average Masshole is basically going to hate the riders for cutting the line (jealousy either way)? And, be honest, in the grand scheme of a traffic jam, two bikes squeaking by is not going to help reduce the traffic jam.
    But if there are less cars because more people are on bikes because bikes are allowed to travel freely, then that does benefit traffic in general. Either way, it's a big win for bikes, and at worst is no loss for cars, so it should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus View Post
    More likely to have a door opened on you in MA than to actually be hit by a vehicle while doing this (admittedly) illegal riding ... Easy to predict cars moving around lanes, harder to imagine and avoid someone intentionally aiming to harm you out of the blue.
    Well, if someone commits vehicular assault, you fucking arrest them for it. Do that a few times, and the problem goes down. I lanesplitted (have lane splitten?, lane splat?) daily in CA for over 20 years, and never got a door opened on me. One of those big fears and what ifs that always gets raised as an objection to this, but in real life doesn't happen.

PhilB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

But there aren't enough bikers on the road to make a difference. There are still ridiculous traffic snarls in Los Angeles, even though the weather is great for year-round riding, the roads are wide, and lane splitting is allowed. One might think that's the perfect place for people to take to motorcycling, and yet, most do not.

I agree, it's not surprising, but it is the first time they have actually announced support for the practice.

Convincing the population will not be easy at all. Even convincing motorcycle riders won't be easy. I'm not implying that it will happen any time soon... But we have to start somewhere.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    But if there are less cars because more people are on bikes because bikes are allowed to travel freely, then that does benefit traffic in general. Either way, it's a big win for bikes, and at worst is no loss for cars, so it should be allowed.
    I agree entirely. As a rider, this makes perfect sense to me.

But I also think the biggest obstacle would be convincing everyone else in the world.

Well, if someone commits vehicular assault, you fucking arrest them for it. Do that a few times, and the problem goes down.
    Riiiight. How often do you see a cop in rush hour traffic? They know better. Their presence brings already horrible traffic to a complete standstill. The only thing cops would be able to do is pick up the pieces.

I've never been doored. But then I don't really split.

I have nearly been run off the road. I have had drivers refuse to let me merge in and just about use their bumper to separate me from my feet. I've seen drivers do absurdly illegal, downright immoral things in front of me... and not once have I seen a LEO give a flying fuck.

I'm not prepared to rely on LEOs to convince the driving public what is right and reasonable. Their job is to call in the meat wagon and pick up the pieces. That and write tickets.

Last edited by nhbubba; 12-14-13 at 10:41 AM.

I'm an AMA Life Member and I'm not the biggest fan of the AMA either. But they do advocate for motorcyclists. Plus the Roadside Assistance is worth the price of admission.

I've lane split in CA and wish it was allowed nationally. The coolest part was noticing that the cars in the leftmost lane kept slightly to their left, and those in the lane on the right kept slightly to the right, making the gap between them a bit bigger than normal. I don't know if that's common, but it was noticeable when I was lane splitting out there.

Lane splitting would reduce congestion a little bit. From an industry point of view it would probably be a minor win. When people see enough bikes lane splitting through traffic jams and filtering to the front at lights, maybe they might start thinking about getting a bike too. With more bikes on the road, we'd be a bit less invisible. Not a lot, but a little.

I can't find the data now, but have read that lane-splitting motorcyclists are under-represented in crash statistics in California (they are involved in fewer crashes than statistically expected).

The biggest problem may be that it is a big change with a small benefit to a few people. That's not a very compelling argument. We wouldn't have to convince everyone to get it done. We'd only have to convince just enough state politicians. Sell them on reduced congestion, better for the environment, and safer for motorcyclists, with no downsides for other road users. The topic has come up (in MA) in previous years but never made it out of committee. I agree it isn't likely. I wish MMA spent half the energy on lane-splitting that they spend on helmets and loud exhausts.

If it did ever pass, there would need to be a huge PR blitz the first year and every spring to remind people it's legal.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

But there aren't enough bikers on the road to make a difference. There are still ridiculous traffic snarls in Los Angeles, even though the weather is great for year-round riding, the roads are wide, and lane splitting is allowed. One might think that's the perfect place for people to take to motorcycling, and yet, most do not.
    There will, however, be more bikers on the road if we're allowed to use the natural advantages of the bike. LA is a snarl, which is why I will avoid being stuck in a car in it if I have any choice in the matter. Many CA people do ride bikes, but not a majority. That's fine -- people should get to make their own choices. But allowing the lanesplitting certainly doesn't make the traffic there any worse, and very likely makes it less bad than it might be.

PhilB

Well, if someone commits vehicular assault, you fucking arrest them for it. Do that a few times, and the problem goes down. I lanesplitted (have lane splitten?, lane splat?) daily in CA for over 20 years, and never got a door opened on me. One of those big fears and what ifs that always gets raised as an objection to this, but in real life doesn't happen.

PhilB
    Let me introduce you to New England drivers...

I think if any state in NE has the possibility of legalizing lane splitting, it would probably be NH. It would be a great place to start the push.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Let me introduce you to New England drivers...
    I find that commuting into Boston isn't as bad a problem lane splitting as when doing it in standstill cape traffic (495 SB). There people will swerve to force you to stop, open doors, etc. Wasn't a big danger to me because I was normally going 10 mph or so, paying attention and only doing it in standstill traffic but one of these days I'm sure someone will time it just right and get someone. I've pretty much stopped the practice and found back roads when heading towards the cape on a Friday afternoon though.

I find that commuting into Boston isn't as bad a problem lane splitting as when doing it in standstill cape traffic (495 SB). There people will swerve to force you to stop, open doors, etc. Wasn't a big danger to me because I was normally going 10 mph or so, paying attention and only doing it in standstill traffic but one of these days I'm sure someone will time it just right and get someone. I've pretty much stopped the practice and found back roads when heading towards the cape on a Friday afternoon though.
    It's exactly this reason I don't ride to the cape in the summertime.

Lifer

standstill cape traffic (495 SB). There people will swerve to force you to stop, open doors, etc.
    If traffic's stopped, hop off and introduce yourself?

I'm for it, and agree its more likely to get introduced in NH and start getting people used to the idea that way. But am I the only one who think's it's rough political timing? I think the event in NYC is still strong in the general public's mind. And it's the general public who's most likely to oppose this, associating it with the negative biker image.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post

I'm for it, and agree its more likely to get introduced in NH and start getting people used to the idea that way. But am I the only one who think's it's rough political timing? I think the event in NYC is still strong in the general public's mind. And it's the general public who's most likely to oppose this, associating it with the negative biker image.
    As a lifetime resident of NH, having lived/worked in some of the more congested areas of the state, I think there are very few places where people would consider traffic to be enough of a concern to warrant legalizing this practice. I could be wrong, but we don't get gridlocked the way Massachusetts does, and I think the average driver is going to question the reasoning behind doing something like this, when traffic is not really a consistent issue in any one location all year.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Not to turn this thread to guns, but that seems like a good way to get yourself shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    As a lifetime resident of NH, having lived/worked in some of the more congested areas of the state, I think there are very few places where people would consider traffic to be enough of a concern to warrant legalizing this practice. I could be wrong, but we don't get gridlocked the way Massachusetts does, and I think the average driver is going to question the reasoning behind doing something like this, when traffic is not really a consistent issue in any one location all year.
    There's two ways to look at it:

1. Traffic is already light in this state compared to Mass, thus splitting lanes might be seen as a safer practice here than it is elsewhere in the country.

2. Traffic is extremely congested in some parts of the state, like I-93 South every morning, I-93 North every evening, and in spots like Nashua, Concord, or at events like Bike Week, Loudon, etc.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    There's two ways to look at it:

1. Traffic is already light in this state compared to Mass, thus splitting lanes might be seen as a safer practice here than it is elsewhere in the country.

2. Traffic is extremely congested in some parts of the state, like I-93 South every morning, I-93 North every evening, and in spots like Nashua, Concord, or at events like Bike Week, Loudon, etc.
    Don't get me wrong,w e do have traffic issues. But they don't last 3 hours, and don't occur every day (for the most part). A statewide law like this will be hard to pass outside of Manchester (and only for those who commute in rush hour traffic on 93). I commuted to South Nashua for 2 years. Very little traffic compared to right across the border. I also lived in Portsmouth fro a few years, and again, very little traffic compared to south of the border. When stopped traffic (or 10mph or less) happens, it generally doesn't last very long, or occurs on high-tourist days - i.e. December/Christmas in south Nashua (or South Willow St in Manch), great beach days on the Seacoast (and then, only on select highways), etc.

There is a lot of state that does not get that kind of traffic and won't want lane-splitting. And I would guess the majority of locals to Bike Week probably don't want ANY laws that make things easier for "bikers" (purely speculation).

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Don't forget that lane splitting would allow you to filter to the front of traffic at stop lights which would be super convenient in a lot of areas.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Not to turn this thread to guns, but that seems like a good way to get yourself shot.
    I didn't mean do the tough guy act. Seriously, if traffic's stopped maybe a friendly chat might change their impression. That said, yes I realize there's the minor risk of them getting excited.

As for "is there really a need": Is that the NH voter attitude? I thought the idea was it isn't your place to question whether it's necessary. It's whether it should be outlawed.

nedirtriders.com

Has legalized lane splitting been proposed in any state?

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Don't forget that lane splitting would allow you to filter to the front of traffic at stop lights which would be super convenient in a lot of areas.
    I didn't think twice about this until a few years ago. When I lived in Marblehead, MA and had to ride into Boston I would filter at every signal and never thought anything of it and never got stopped. I see guys do it in Boston all the time. Wonder if LEO really care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast