Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

American Big V-Twin Lube Thread

Re: American Big V-Twin Lube Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    I will mention if your Harley is anything like my road king! Do the rear brake pads while you have the rear wheel off... Cause well you'll see !
    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Does that still apply if one actually uses the front brake to stop
    Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Actually the rear brake on a 800lb motorcycle is quite effective in whoain the beast to a stop!
    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I imagine it wears much faster if that's the only brake people use......
    It's impossible to use only one brake on my bike. Mine has linked brakes. Funny you mention that though - my rear has recently started squeaking.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I'll just point out that there will be some people at the track this weekend who will change tires rather inexpensivly.
    Of course they will have to be off the bike and you'll need to pay the entry fee.
    I just sold my "spare" set of wheels for the old bike. Buying a new spare set for the new one.
    Right now a complete front is looking like about a Grand. Ouch.
    I just bought a new rear wheel with a 50% tire for about the cost of a new rear tire.
    We just muscle 'em on at my friend's shop and balance them on the Harbor Freight balancer. Costs me a bottle of Tito's usually.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I just bought a new rear for the RK. I swear tire prices are up 25-30% over a year ago.
    Yup. I can't remember what I paid. But I know they were about $30 more each since I looked last year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Yup. Linked brakes.

Good tip re: replacing the brakes while pulling the rear wheel. I bought a set of pads as well. Was interesting to find that it is the same pad in all three calipers. Easy to stock spares for.

Last year I bought a Metzeler ME888 130/80-17 Front for $150. This year it looks like it is $175.
    Also the rears are just a butload more expensive. Kind of having some sticker shock.
    ..And I seem to be wearing them quickly. Brings me back to when I owned my Bandit. I just can't help myself though; have to leave every stop at 9/10ths throttle!

Some nutcase on advrider tossed a set of Michelin Commanders on his 1290 Super Adventure and still got 15k miles out of the set. That's on a 160HP tire shredding monster v-twin.

Maybe try those?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Maybe. About the same kinds of torque numbers as my RK.
    Although I really like how the ME888's handle. Reluctant to trade performance for longer wear.

To be fair, I am probably replacing the tire before it is entirely worn and I don't actually know how many miles I've got on the stock HD branded Dunlop. I bought the bike with ~4k miles as a police turn in. It definitely had a new battery and the tire looked awful new. I think they told me they had changed both. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't the factory 2014 rear tire. ... And it ain't quite done .. yet. I think I'm at 11 or 12k miles now.

Maybe. About the same kinds of torque numbers as my RK.
    Although I really like how the ME888's handle. Reluctant to trade performance for longer wear.

To be fair, I am probably replacing the tire before it is entirely worn and I don't actually know how many miles I've got on the stock HD branded Dunlop. I bought the bike with ~4k miles as a police turn in. It definitely had a new battery and the tire looked awful new. I think they told me they had changed both. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't the factory 2014 rear tire. ... And it ain't quite done .. yet. I think I'm at 11 or 12k miles now.
    I'm with you. Bought it with 5000 miles on it, rear tire is pretty cooked at 12,500+. I'm not sure they would've put a new tire on a 5000 mile 2017, so I'm kinda leaning toward the current set being the orginals.

Lifer

I was convinced (and swore they had told me) the tire was sketchy from age, not miles. That said now that I think back they didn't say the same about the clearly used front. So I'm probably remembering it wrong.
    I remember seeing a service record on a screen in the service dept too.

Whatever. Moral here is I seem to be hard on rear tires. Which is, you know, fine.
    Pay to play. Not like I'm going to stop playing.

I was convinced (and swore they had told me) the tire was sketchy from age, not miles. That said now that I think back they didn't say the same about the clearly used front. So I'm probably remembering it wrong.
    I remember seeing a service record on a screen in the service dept too.

Whatever. Moral here is I seem to be hard on rear tires. Which is, you know, fine.
    Pay to play. Not like I'm going to stop playing.
    My front isn't nearly as tired as the rear tire. But it's definitely starting to look sketchy enough to the point I'm replacing it at the same time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123