Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Antique car registration in MA -- anyone done it?

Antique car registration in MA -- anyone done it?

Does anyone have experience with antique car (or bike) registration in MA? Right now my project car is registered in ME with antique plates, which means it doesn't need to be inspected in order to be registered.

I've checked the Mass RMV site and didn't see a specific mention of "If antique, then no inspection". Is that how it works in MA, or does the vehicle still need to be inspected?

TIA...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Antique car registration in MA -- anyone done it?

Antique plates in MA are for limited use only (weekends to and from shows). I don't know about inspection, cause I put regular plates on my classic so I could drive it during the week. I had to get it inspected, but obviously, it didn't have to meet emissions.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Antique plates in MA are for limited use only (weekends to and from shows). I don't know about inspection, cause I put regular plates on my classic so I could drive it during the week. I had to get it inspected, but obviously, it didn't have to meet emissions.
    Thanks Paul. Maine is limited, but less so -- so long as the vehicle isn't your "primary mode of transportation" you can drive it however you please.

I'd try calling the RMV to ask, but I don't want to spend the next 3 days on hold...

My dad had antique plates and drove his car all the time with no issues.....

my attitude matches yours GixxerJosh's Avatar

I had antique plates on a 1968 Army Truck and I still needed to get inspection stickers. Sold my tuck a few years back. Wish I kept it. M35a2

MSF RiderCoach http://www.trainingwheelsonline.com
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach http://www.planetdirt.com

Evergreen Safety Council Sidecar/Trike Education Program Instructorhttp://www.trainingwheelsonline.com/...l#spyder-trike

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerJosh View Post
    I had antique plates on a 1968 Army Truck and I still needed to get inspection stickers. Sold my tuck a few years back. Wish I kept it. M35a2
    Josh, did they give you a thorough inspection (), or did they see the antique plates and just slap a sticker on it?

Why are you worried about it failing. I had my track car registered in CT as an Antique over 25 years old and brought it up here and got regular plates and it passed no problem, even though its got no cats, race belts half cage etc.

Technically it does need to be inspected. I've not ever had mine inspected nor has my ole Man. lets see, I have a 1917 Model T. No Brake Lights, No directionals, no Hi Beams, No gauges at all, No windshield and no doors.... So I could expect the inspection tech to just shrug his shoulders. I also drive mine when ever I want. The caveat is you are doing maintenance... The only time I was stopped was because I was speeding and the cop wanted to know how I got a Model T to go that fast. If your not an ass or driving some rat rod piece of shit you'll be OK. Most cops don't know how to deal with an antique anyway. ( I did always have my hotrods inspected tho, even with antique plates. )

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

One of the old guys that lives in the Senior Community at the end of my street drives this.
    Antique car registration in MA -- anyone done it?-1986_chevy_celebrity-jpg
    It has Antique plates on it.
    It always makes me laugh when he goes by.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Why are you worried about it failing. I had my track car registered in CT as an Antique over 25 years old and brought it up here and got regular plates and it passed no problem, even though its got no cats, race belts half cage etc.
    Have you ever lived in Maine? They are absolute cvnts. I had the VFR inspected last year, and the guy failed it because of the exhaust. When I say "the exhaust", it's because the guy said it had "racing" in the name (Erion Racing). I told him that was the fucking name of the manufacturer, but oh no, I might as well have been clubby baby fur seals.

Inspections in ME are a non-stop cock-holster bullshit-fest. I've never gone through an inspection in MA, so I have no idea how tough they are - or aren't!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Have you ever lived in Maine? They are absolute cvnts. I had the VFR inspected last year, and the guy failed it because of the exhaust. When I say "the exhaust", it's because the guy said it had "racing" in the name (Erion Racing). I told him that was the fucking name of the manufacturer, but oh no, I might as well have been clubby baby fur seals.

Inspections in ME are a non-stop cock-holster bullshit-fest. I've never gone through an inspection in MA, so I have no idea how tough they are - or aren't!
    Never in Maine, I've heard Mass has a similar no "aftermarket" exhaust policy luckily mine looks pretty stock from the outside. I don't get why they don't just adopt a DB limit like most other states. One area where they always hassle me about is no front plate so make sure you at least zip tie it on before you go for inspection.

Maine has DB limits, went into effect last year. Inspection stations have the info.

I've been thinking about getting a plate for my other car. In the restriction is also a note about driving it for "testing" so you could pretty much say you were testing anything and get away with it. How are the cops going to PROVE you weren't testing something.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarine View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a plate for my other car. In the restriction is also a note about driving it for "testing" so you could pretty much say you were testing anything and get away with it. How are the cops going to PROVE you weren't testing something.
    dont be doing burnouts or acting squidly and you wont have an issue.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    dont be doing burnouts or acting squidly and you wont have an issue.
    Oh, I just put some DOT slicks on and was testing traction...
    Seriously though I had antique plates on my Javelin and drove it all the time with no problems. You will need it inspected but like others said most shops are pretty good about classics.

my attitude matches yours GixxerJosh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Josh, did they give you a thorough inspection (), or did they see the antique plates and just slap a sticker on it?
    They looked it over really fast and slapped the sticker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Antique car registration in MA -- anyone done it?-dscf0021j_102-jpg  

MSF RiderCoach http://www.trainingwheelsonline.com
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach http://www.planetdirt.com

Evergreen Safety Council Sidecar/Trike Education Program Instructorhttp://www.trainingwheelsonline.com/...l#spyder-trike

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerJosh View Post
    They looked it over really fast and slapped the sticker

Antique car registration in MA -- anyone done it?-dscf0021j_102-jpg

In MA, anything older than 15 gets a 'safety' inspection only. It must be 'as originally equipped' in general.

That means if it's so old it didn't have seatbelts, for example, then you don't have to worry about checking them as an inspector.

If it's a clean-looking car, I personally just give it a once-over for tire tread depth, lights and horn working (if it has them), wipers, and that it's not blowing smoke and then off it goes. If it looks old and ratty or rusted in places, I'm definitely looking with some scrutiny.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Just curious. Mass still limits the use of vehicles registered as antiques? I only ask 'cuz NH dropped that stipulation not too long ago...

Again, not really related to Mass. But in NH, antique vehicles get regi'd & inspected in April. Which is foolish seeing as half of NH has snow & salt on the roads until well into April. Also in NH, the vehicle is supposed to be in 'excellent' condition. That befuddles me as I've seen SOOO many piece of shits running antique plates...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Just yesterday I tried to get antique plates for my KZ1000,, Town Clerk said the town doesn't have them so I was told I had to go to DMV in Keene, so off I went. I get to DMV Keene and girl goes in back room to get plate,, 10 mins go by now, all the girls are in there looking for an antique plate for a motorcycle with no luck, they then announce that they don't carry the plate there and I will now have to go to Concord. I tell them to forget it and just renew my current reg. They inform me they cant do that because they already entered the info into the computer, now I am getting mad and after some "discussing" they renew my current reg. They are almost done when they inform me I could have the antique plate mailed to me if I wanted!!!!! I just took my renewal sticker and left,,,, hopefully the OP results will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    In MA, anything older than 15 gets a 'safety' inspection only. It must be 'as originally equipped' in general.

That means if it's so old it didn't have seatbelts, for example, then you don't have to worry about checking them as an inspector.

If it's a clean-looking car, I personally just give it a once-over for tire tread depth, lights and horn working (if it has them), wipers, and that it's not blowing smoke and then off it goes. If it looks old and ratty or rusted in places, I'm definitely looking with some scrutiny.
    This was a huge help, thanks!

Last edited by number9; 09-17-13 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
    Just yesterday I tried to get antique plates for my KZ1000,, Town Clerk said the town doesn't have them so I was told I had to go to DMV in Keene, so off I went. I get to DMV Keene and girl goes in back room to get plate,, 10 mins go by now, all the girls are in there looking for an antique plate for a motorcycle with no luck, they then announce that they don't carry the plate there and I will now have to go to Concord. I tell them to forget it and just renew my current reg. They inform me they cant do that because they already entered the info into the computer, now I am getting mad and after some "discussing" they renew my current reg. They are almost done when they inform me I could have the antique plate mailed to me if I wanted!!!!! I just took my renewal sticker and left,,,, hopefully the OP results will be better.
    I'll add to that, although again I'm talking NH. Not much of a help in the MA thread. I was told that I had to take the car to Concord so they could confirm it's condition, etc., and to verify that it does qualify for an anitque plate. I didn't want one, but they town clerk tried talking me into it. I just don't feel I'm ready at this point in my life to drive a car around with antique plates. But they gave me the low-down...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Ive never had a problem inspecting my 2005 with fixed fiberglass seats, 5 point harnesses (stock shoulder belts still in car), 4 point rollcage, fire extinguisher, no cats, meth injection etc.