Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

App Gap Status

App Gap Status

Hey everyone....first post here...I ve been up to 17 about 3x in the past 3 weeks...Was up ther today and yesterday.....The road was suprisingly dry and clean at least as clean as that road gets...however the frost heaves on the west side are like motocross wooptoe doos... worse ive seen..hopefullt they will go down as it gets warmer...Anyway I had fun, but I tapped my knee down a few times so i need to slow down..thats what happens to me when i lap it over and over...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: App Gap Status

Sounds good!
    Lots of other bikes but we post up for rides, (a group of us anyway) will be up that way on the 15th. Link is "Tour de Twisties" at SVRider.com

Its all about June mornings skiing on the glacier and riding twisties in the Alps in the afternoon

Nice...my bro has a 08 sv650s .....its lots of fun...

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer 750 View Post
    Nice...my bro has a 08 sv650s .....its lots of fun...
    Hi Phil - I think we were talking up there yesterday. Nice meeting you. Welcome aboard!

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

The west side was bad? You didn't catch air like the 4 of us did on the east side? Granted that was April second but one after another we all flew off the surface. And about castrated ourselves.

You stuck a knee down? On that road? Do me a favor, ride to the top sometime and rub your finger across your rear tire. Now answer me this...what is that gray colored dust all over your finger? Then ask yourself..."do I really want to be going that fast with those guardrails on nearly every turn and this shit all over the surface of the road?"

That road skeers me for that one reason...and it takes a lot to scare me on the bike. Be careful up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    You stuck a knee down? On that road? Do me a favor, ride to the top sometime and rub your finger across your rear tire. Now answer me this...what is that gray colored dust all over your finger? Then ask yourself..."do I really want to be going that fast with those guardrails on nearly every turn and this shit all over the surface of the road?"

That road skeers me for that one reason...and it takes a lot to scare me on the bike. Be careful up there.
    Werd!

I had a coupla slight slippies up there last weekend and some complete d-bag in a t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers with a Pa. plate stuffed is Priller into the guard rail @ picnic table corner. His front wheel washed out on him when he couldn't stand a TL keeping up with him in the corners(although he was WAY faster on the straights.......). He was rashed up some but the bike was probably done....... T*****Rd was sticky sweet though

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

The west side was bad? You didn't catch air like the 4 of us did on the east side? Granted that was April second but one after another we all flew off the surface. And about castrated ourselves.

WTH is the dust up there? I've had a couple of good slides up there in the past. DRZ doesn't seem to care though.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

That dust only seems to affect sportbike tires. I'm actually serious about this -- maybe it's because of the inherent stickiness of sport rubber attracting it better or something, I don't know, but I haven't had those issues with the dual-sport or general-purpose tires I run on my bikes.

Of course, the pavement is so broken up that I also don't lean the bike over as much as I did a few years ago when it was still in good shape.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    That dust only seems to affect sportbike tires. I'm actually serious about this -- maybe it's because of the inherent stickiness of sport rubber attracting it better or something, I don't know, but I haven't had those issues with the dual-sport or general-purpose tires I run on my bikes.

Of course, the pavement is so broken up that I also don't lean the bike over as much as I did a few years ago when it was still in good shape.

--mark
    I've got ancient Pilot Sports on the DRZ. Too dried and old to consider "sticky" haha.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

I was there 2 weeks ago

don't remember and "heaves" frost is out of ground and road base is settled for trhe season

there is a lot of broken pavement, cracks and pavment deteroration

see my post in this thread

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

That dust only seems to affect sportbike tires.

Interesting thing, last season I had Bridgestone 002's and I ran them at 34/36. This season I have 016's (hoping they last a bit longer) and I'm running the same pressures. The 16's seem to not slide as much as the softer 002's, then then again this is a new season. I had a few slides the one time I was there 4/2...but last season literally I could power slide exiting any corner I chose. I even slid a few times going into turns. That was innerestin

Last summer a woman in the group did kinda like what Jake said...but on the eastern side going down towards Waitsville. She had the 014's and I've never heard one person say anything good about those tires. She dropped the bike and she wasn't going fast at all, front slid out. The bike slid a few feet and into the guardrail.

No idea what the dust stuff is, no one knows really. Perhaps its not so bad this season. Just know it's there and it can bite ya.

Corey... Are you upset you can't get your knee down up there? ... Oh wait... I think I might have seen some pics where you were ... ... hmmm ... ...

If you ain't first......you're last!

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post
    Hi Phil - I think we were talking up there yesterday. Nice meeting you. Welcome aboard!
    Hey scott...yup met you yesterday...thanks for the welcome..the site is addicting..lol...

My bro told me to slow down to.....I got excited...you are right my front has pushed a few times. on good rubber...also my bro went down doing 50 or 60 mph dragging knee on his sv650...the rear went out and he slid to the rail. he was ok not a scrath and the bike bent the muffler...he had really worn pp2ct..

I have had my rear power slide a bit to..on bolth bt016's and metzler m3..never had a tank slapper or anything too dramatic..some of the turns are great felt very grippy..but the picknick table is weird...i had the front push on me, not a good feeling. so i go slow there like 2nd gear @ 3k 4k rpm so ther is no snatching the rear .overall 17 is what it is. I like riding there you just have to take it easy on some parts for sure. I wish like i'm sure everyone does for a new surface but the state is so broke.

Quote Originally Posted by cbr_chick_nh View Post
    Corey... Are you upset you can't get your knee down up there? ... Oh wait... I think I might have seen some pics where you were ... ... hmmm ... ...

Upset? Naw. I've touched a knee down a time or two on 17 but the turns are too sharp to make me happy. I don't like how low speed some of them are and when the bike isn't rev'd into oblivion, it just feels off so to speak.

If the turns weren't as sharp as they are, or tight, like heading west @ the picnic table...it would be a lot better. Hence why T**** rd takes the cake. Longer open turns and the pavement NYDOT decided to throw down is really really nice

T*******rd is very fun..just dont like some of the driveways..there..but its not as close to me as 17

T*******rd is very fun..just dont like some of the driveways..there..but its not as close to me as 17
    What driveways?

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

What driveways?

--mark
    I got confused on T*****road ....had to ask bro bout which one it is thought it was something eles...I love T******road very fun more sweepers and pretty good pavement...I'm new on site but bro is not..

hey NES i live with this gixxer750 guy hes a tool box :p

here is some commentary from 17 last season..
    YouTube- Harley Riders Crossing Line

02 Ninja 250 (sold), K8-SV650S

17 is bumpy as all hell this year! Its getting a bit better since I last rode it, I ran it this weekend, but still, the Bristol side is terrible. Hard to get good drives outta corners when the bike is buckin all over the place. Still love the road, gotta keep you're cool like the above mentioned!

...Anyway I had fun, but I tapped my knee down a few times so i need to slow down..thats what happens to me when i lap it over and over...
    I like this guy! Knee down on 17, ballin! Def. come down to Winooski for Bike Night this summer! Under Rides/Event, Vermont Bike Night.

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post
    Scott! Pretty sure I met you up there on Sat! I borrowed some tape for an emergency repair. Thanks, and its still holding!

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    17 is bumpy as all hell this year! Its getting a bit better since I last rode it, I ran it this weekend, but still, the Bristol side is terrible. Hard to get good drives outta corners when the bike is buckin all over the place. Still love the road, gotta keep you're cool like the above mentioned!

I like this guy! Knee down on 17, ballin! Def. come down to Winooski for Bike Night this summer! Under Rides/Event, Vermont Bike Night.

Scott! Pretty sure I met you up there on Sat! I borrowed some tape for an emergency repair. Thanks, and its still holding!
    Moto..I was up there to....you have a green really clean zx9?? I was an the black gsxr750 talking with the 2 guys ont the supermoto one of them being scottfromboston...Also a gut from motorcyclevermont.com was up there and took a bunch of pics...I believe you are coming around a courner in one of them nice..check it out..

HAIONSTRESS you need some attention???? wats up bro...And Haighonstress is very fast on 17....

Not trying to be a pissah....

But why all the hype about throwing a knee down at the App Gap (not talking about anybody specifically here)?

I ask because I think the emphasis gets put on dragging a knee instead of body position, lean angle, proper technique, etc.

I've seen plenty pictures with a guy dragging his knee, with the bike almost upright. You don't have to be going fast, or doing it right to drag a knee...

I love hitting up the twisties as much as the next guy... but I think a lot of people (probably those with less experience than the others) read threads like these and then go out and think that unless they are dragging a knee... they aren't fast.

/rant

Edit: not trying to imply that anybody NEEDS to be FAST on the street or to ride with anybody else on here...

carry on...

Last edited by tsanterre; 05-04-10 at 07:50 AM.
    ~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Quote Originally Posted by tsanterre View Post
    Not trying to be a pissah....

But why all the hype about throwing a knee down at the App Gap (not talking about anybody specifically here)?

I ask because I think the emphasis gets put on dragging a knee instead of body position, lean angle, proper technique, etc.

I've seen plenty pictures with a guy dragging his knee, with the bike almost upright. You don't have to be going fast, or doing it right to drag a knee...

I love hitting up the twisties as much as the next guy... but I think a lot of people (probably those with less experience than the others) read threads like these and then go out and think that unless they are dragging a knee... they aren't fast.

/rant

Edit: not trying to imply that anybody NEEDS to be FAST on the street or to ride with anybody else on here...

carry on...
    True ..and its not about who is fastest on the street only stupidist...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast