Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

I swore I'd never buy another Aprilia again... but I'm really not happy with the R1, soooo.

I have a couple questions, does anyone here have one? If so, how do you like it?

And the million dollar question, had Aprilia upped their game and resolved the fuel tank issues, and general quirkiness of their bikes?

I was in AZ for a few days after xmas and stopped to look at some bikes, like the look and feel just sitting on it at the dealer, and the reviews rant and rave about it. They gave me a damned good quote including shipping it to me, but I'd still like to keep it somewhat local

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Lifer

Re: Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Mark, just curious - But why are you not happy with the R-1? Didn't you buy one of the newest versions that everybody has been raving about?

There is nothing wrong with the R1 and it lives up to its reputation that everyone rants and raves about. The problem is me, it's to aggressive of a riding position for a street ride and my aging body.

I want a semi upright riding position, and the new Tuono 1100 is the only half naked bike that makes my pants tight from a looks point of view.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

I wondered when you'd ever realize you don't have to be crunched down over the bars to ride the street.

I'm a little older than you but went upright a LONG time ago. In fact, I've never owned a bike with bars below the top of the forks. Ridden them, just not comfortable enough for me. Ever.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Speed triple is a great option for what you want, maybe give one a ride before pulling the trigger on your new bike.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Speed triple is a great option for what you want, maybe give one a ride before pulling the trigger on your new bike.
    Speed Triple R, FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    Speed Triple R, FTW!
    The '08-10 models are the best. Have the nice looking frame and head lights, buy fixed the transmission and stator issues that plagued previous models.

This is coming from a former S3R owner. Loved the bike but who the hell really needs full Ohlins and Brembo monoblocs on a street bike?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I'm not a fan of the looks of the Triumps, I think what gets me with the Tuono is the almost full fairing, and RSV4 headlights. As a package, the Aprilia is hard to walk away from!

So, anyone looking for a clean 2015 R1 with a tad over 2k miles?

Yamaha

Sharp looking machine!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Wouldn't it only be natural if you checked out the FZ-10?

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Wouldn't it only be natural if you checked out the FZ-10?
    No, it wouldn't. LOL. The RSV4 is on a different level. There is no Japanese offering to compare, let alone British. (Yes, I'm a eurosnob)

Paul_E_D

I'd love to hear how the Tuono compares to the Super Duke.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    No, it wouldn't. LOL. The RSV4 is on a different level. There is no Japanese offering to compare, let alone British. (Yes, I'm a eurosnob)
    I meant from the R1 to FZ10, not the RSV4.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Orange Is The New Crack

You owe yourself at a test ride before pulling the trigger on the Tuono.

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

I'm pulling the trigger on a 2016 Tuono Factory. Sadly, Seacoast does not have one and can't get another 2016 :-(

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

I have a 2012 TV4 1000, an upgrade from a Ducati 1098. I bought the 1098 because I just had to have a super bike on the street. I Loved it but after years of choking through traffic with a motor and chassis built to GO, I sold the Duc and snagged a super low mileage Tuono. The motor is out of this world and the fueling was perfect as delivered (unlike every Ducati I've ever ridden), and even better with a Gabro map. Needs some attention to the suspension if you're headed to the track, but for a street bike it's totally fine (unlike every Ducati I've ever ridden). Add RSV4 brakes up front and it's street perfection. And the sound... I once thought there was nothing better than a 2V Desmo, but the V4 under load? Sublime!

The tanks are still plastic and swell if left full. I had mine Caswell coated. Most other issues have been addressed with recalls.

Aprilia is exclusive, sexy, racy, elegant, function over form. Basicallly everything Ducati used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I'm pulling the trigger on a 2016 Tuono Factory. Sadly, Seacoast does not have one and can't get another 2016 :-(
    So if it's a 2016 you're getting and Seacoast can't get one, are you buying the one in AZ and having it shipped?

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    I have a 2012 TV4 1000, an upgrade from a Ducati 1098. I bought the 1098 because I just had to have a super bike on the street. I Loved it but after years of choking through traffic with a motor and chassis built to GO, I sold the Duc and snagged a super low mileage Tuono. The motor is out of this world and the fueling was perfect as delivered (unlike every Ducati I've ever ridden), and even better with a Gabro map. Needs some attention to the suspension if you're headed to the track, but for a street bike it's totally fine (unlike every Ducati I've ever ridden). Add RSV4 brakes up front and it's street perfection. And the sound... I once thought there was nothing better than a 2V Desmo, but the V4 under load? Sublime!

The tanks are still plastic and swell if left full. I had mine Caswell coated. Most other issues have been addressed with recalls.

Aprilia is exclusive, sexy, racy, elegant, function over form. Basicallly everything Ducati used to be.
    I had the '12 RSV4, once sorted, I loved the bike. 3 tanks later under warranty, I swung for the caswell coating as well. Everything I've read/been told is the 2015 and later models didn't suffer from the same tank issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    So if it's a 2016 you're getting and Seacoast can't get one, are you buying the one in AZ and having it shipped?
    I didn't leave a deposit at the AZ dealer, and it was already sold when I called them back. I'm making the 6 hour round trip drive this Saturday to pick it up, so somewhat local.

Yamaha

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Congrats on seeing the light Mark. I think the Tuono will really hit the nail on the head for what you're after.

He didn't chime in here, but DucatiRdr (Tom) bought one, has an R1 for track use as well. Absolutely loves the Ape tho.

CCS/LRRS #83

Siiiiick Maaaahhhk!

Paul_E_D

Yes the R1 on the track is amazing but as good as it is on the track it sucks on the street. Yes I have done all day rides on the R1 but its a chore. I did flash the ECU at SBU and got a cat delete mid pipe on the R1 so fueling is much better around town. Still I want to just put race fairings on the thing and be done with it on the street. Maybe I'll do a few races in the summer with it.

Tuono is amazing on the street. The first unique thing I noted was how good it is at urban pace traffic speeds. The fueling is amazing. So easy to ride at those hateful speeds of 35mph. Of course the V4 1100 power is nuts and 100mph, 3rd gear, whack the throttle open, and you have 100+mph wheelies with ease. They are truly insane if you're into such antics. The riding position is perfect for the street. I do wish I had cruise for those longer stints on the highway where you want to relax the right grip. Also I wish the thing had heated grips integrated like the Duc Hyper sells. Other than that its a beast that always puts a smile on my face.

I did put an SC project pipe on it with ECU. Honestly wish I left it stock. It seemed better fueled and the @#$% thing is too loud now. Not sport bike loud but Harley straight pipe loud. I don't need a horn. I just blip the throttle and cars move out of the way. The stock pipe sounds great. The SC pipe sounds like ear plugs are required. Starting the thing up and hearing the idle with that pipe is worth the pain of tinnitus. It sounds like victory.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

congrats on the new wheels Mark
    always loved the tuono , beautiful looking bike

eat me

As good as the OEM fueling is, check out the Gabro tuned ECU. It's like a whole new engine. Sublime power everywhere.

I was chatting with someone who knows and they said there was no change in the tank material from 2012 forward.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    congrats on the new wheels Mark
    always loved the tuono , beautiful looking bike
    Thanks Mick! I had to postpone picking it up this past Saturday because of the snow storm, hopefully this weekend!

Yamaha

I picked up a '14 Tuono V4R this fall, and echo everything that NPDCPA said. Bought it in Reno and put over 1200 miles on it in 4 days. Hit the track after getting it home, and it's an absolute blast. Before buying mine, I rode an '07, a '15, and a '16 Factory at AF1. The V4 changes everything. My one thought after walking away was, "They should put that engine in every bike made." Other than the poor gas mileage, there are no drawbacks.

'14 Aprilia Tuono - crack on 2 wheels, '14 Ninja 300, '04 BMW M3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast