Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Argo's Cycle suggestions?

Argo's Cycle suggestions?

A very specific bike has shown up at Argo's that I want. I'm not impressed with their pricing of the bike... 'NADA low retail' for a salvage title machine that needs a few major components is a bit steep.

Anyways, I know some places list high asking prices just to keep the window shoppers away, while others actually expect to get that number. Anyone know how much haggle room Argo's usually has, and any suggestions on who to deal with over there if I decide to pay too much anyways?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Argo's Cycle suggestions?

I haven't been involved in a purchase from Argo's for some time now, but back when my brother purchased his first bike from them, there was plenty of haggle room. I have heard not so much anymore, but its worth a shot.

I for one would NEVER go through the misery of trying to get a salvage title bike back on the street in MA again, but I assume you're eyeing a race bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    I haven't been involved in a purchase from Argo's for some time now, but back when my brother purchased his first bike from them, there was plenty of haggle room. I have heard not so much anymore, but its worth a shot.

I for one would NEVER go through the misery of trying to get a salvage title bike back on the street in MA again, but I assume you're eyeing a race bike.
    This is actually going to be a street mount, in Maine. Only reason I'm contemplating it is I know exactly the state it was in when declared salvage, and the bike has huge sentimental value to someone. I just didn't expect it to pop up at Argos, I figured it was going to be shipped further away and potentially stripped for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    This is actually going to be a street mount, in Maine. Only reason I'm contemplating it is I know exactly the state it was in when declared salvage, and the bike has huge sentimental value to someone. I just didn't expect it to pop up at Argos, I figured it was going to be shipped further away and potentially stripped for parts.
    Not sure what the process is like in Maine, and I'm sure it's easier than in MA.

Inspectors here wanted to see receipts for all replaced parts. If used parts were put on, VIN numbers from the donor bikes. All damaged parts HAD to be replaced (scratched fairings, mufflers, dented tanks, etc). It sucked.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

If you already know all about the bike, the difficult part is a non-issue. Make them a low-ball offer without letting them know that you already know the bike's history, and see what happens. Worst than can happen is they say no.

Do you know what they paid for it? That helps decide what to offer them.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Not sure what the process is like in Maine, and I'm sure it's easier than in MA.

Inspectors here wanted to see receipts for all replaced parts. If used parts were put on, VIN numbers from the donor bikes. All damaged parts HAD to be replaced (scratched fairings, mufflers, dented tanks, etc). It sucked.
    Ya, I heard that too but its impossible to do. If you bought a bike with a salvage title you have no idea why it was totalled and the insurance company won't tell you. The fact that you can buy parts so easily from salvage yards on e bay and Craigslist, its ridiculous to expect someone to get VINs from donor bikes.
    The bike my girl rides trackdays with has a salvage title. I brought it to the dmv for inspection and the cop asked if I made all the repairs and I said no. He just looked at me and I said "does of look like it needs any?" Nope. Here's your sticker.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

So anyone purchase from Argo's? Are they pretty up front the shape the bike is in?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I bought a motor off eBay from them after an employee quoted me a price 23% more than what I paid.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

When I totaled my ZRX the bike ended up at Argo. They told the guy that they sold the motor to that the bike had never been down.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

unfortunately, i havent heard anything good about them either. i know their prices are pretty high compared to the market.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I had good luck with Argo. I picked up a Triumph T595 for short money and ran it for 2 years without issue. I traded it back to Argo for the original asking price that I put towards the '09 Monster I currently race (it was on the road for 2 years prior to becoming a track only bike). I was lucky enough to find the Monster with 800 miles on it and it was totaled because of some scratches on the swingarm and front fork from what looked like a garage tip over.
    Of course you can title ANYTHING in Maine! You just have to fill out the application for a salvage title and state all damage was cosmetic and you fixed it.
    As always though, it is buyer beware as I have seen two identical bikes with drastically different prices.

Last edited by Larry; 04-18-14 at 11:23 AM.