Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Armageddon Bikes

Re: Armageddon Bikes

I'm flattered. I'd rather be #2 anyways. Less chance for me to disappoint.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    That list is worst to best, not best to worst?

--mark
    Worst to best. They faulted the Tiger 800 for poor off road performance, weird ergonomics, and other stuff I don't recall.

Neither KTM or Triumph are going to be a top pick if supply chains and dealer networks are disrupted. In the US HD would easily be #1 and Honda second. Suzuki and YAmaha would likely be far behind in terms of parts availability and none of the European brands would even register.

My kids like to watch Doomsday Preppers and I notice most of them rely on a lot of vehicles but they aren't graded on how much motor oil they have. Most people don't have enough oil for one change in their garages, let alone things like spark plugs, air filters or even nuts, bolts, washers and screws.

Added SW Motech bags to the Tiger 1050 last weekend and they used 9 different fasteners. Their production engineers must be high.

How much oil do you realistically need to carry during an apocalypse? Most vehicles will easily go 10k miles without an oil change, any nearly every store in the country carries oil of some kind. And it's not like you'd be offroading a Toyota Camry over enough rocky terrain that you'd bust out the oil pan.

Thankfully I already have a "doomsday" vehicle, my Wrangler. All I need to complete it as the perfect zombie response vehicle is a trailer hitch carrier and a good recon bike to go on it. The bike would come in handy for scouting or making a quick getaway, but I wouldn't rely on any bike as my sole vehicle. You're too compromised without doors or windows, and only 2 wheels.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 08-28-13 at 07:18 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

KLX 650. I've never actually ridden one but if it's good enough for Chuck, it's good enough for me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    KLX 650. I've never actually ridden one but if it's good enough for Chuck, it's good enough for me.

Looks like a set of KLR forks to me, KLX has USD forks from what I recall.....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    You are my new hero, replacing Chipper at the head of my Pantheon of heros.

I think those bikes are cool, but Im told that 6'2 people with bad knees need not apply.

Think my vote would be Honda CRF250L. Street legal in case there were still authorities, a lot of mobility if not, simple and perhaps best parts availability.
    ...it's a really fun little bike to rip around on...i'm 6' and i put some new higher bars on it and it's much more comfortable...i will never sell it, unless i have a bead on another one right away...street legal, easy to work on, hasn't changed that much over the years so the parts are very interchangeable from year to year as well as good parts availability, takes a quart of oil for an oil change, gets over 70mpg, top speed maybe just over 60mph as well as being pretty bulletproof reliability-wise

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Lifer

Wait a minute - "over the years"? Hasn't the CRF250L only been offered just this year?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Looks like a set of KLR forks to me, KLX has USD forks from what I recall.....
    I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I have done some googling and looking into Chuck's bike from Delta Force. The prevailing wisdom on the interwebz says it is a Suzuki SP600.
    I've never seen or heard of such a thing, but the pictures sure look right.

Edit: There is actually a website dedicated to this. IMCDB, or Internet Movie Car Data Base.
    Here is the page for The Delta Force: http://www.imcdb.org/movie_90927-The-Delta-Force.html

And ya'll thought I had no life!

Last edited by nhbubba; 08-29-13 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Wait a minute - "over the years"? Hasn't the CRF250L only been offered just this year?
    As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between the XR models and the CRF models is the decals. But that comes from people selling XR's....

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Point37 was referring to the TW200. Garandman brought up the CRF250L in agreeing with Point about the TW200.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between the XR models and the CRF models is the decals. But that comes from people selling XR's....
    It's also completely wrong. The XRs were air-cooled, most of the CRFs (including the 250L) are liquid-cooled. Totally different frames, suspensions, etc too. The CRFs are modern bikes; the XRs, not so much.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12