Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ATGATT

ATGATT

Just went for a Tuesday ride from Northern Mass to the Kanc (almost)

On 118 about 3 miles before 112, we were going at a pretty good pace and kid I was riding with crashed at around 60 to 70 mph.

Gear clearly saved him, though his boots which were not tied tightly both got tossed off, his Shift jacket zipper broke and he got road rash all over his shoulders and back (I would never buy one of these after seeing how poorly it worked), broken wrist, concussed, etc. He's fine overall, and incredibly lucky overall.

When I first turned around and saw him I helped him, called for help then could not find the bike... it was 40 feet away from him and in a 20 foot ditch, he was very lucky he did not go down the ditch. The bike must have summersaulted based on the damage:

ATGATT-img_0745-jpgATGATT-img_0746-jpgATGATT-img_0747-jpgATGATT-img_0748-jpg

Tail was pretty much gone, exhaust carbon fiber was ripped out of the metal portion, handlebars bent in, etc. etc.

But one thing was very clear:

ATGATT-img_0750-jpg

His helmet saved his life twice over.

After seeings this I'm now reevaluating what I wear. I wear an alpinestars tz-1 jacket which I have lots of faith in, a shoei r900, sidi boots, and dirt bike gloves, but I now want great gloves and pants to wear that zip into my jacket to keep it from folding up. Based on how he was injured I'd feel a lot more protected with the high end gloves and leather pants to match my other gear.

I will say that this also made me tell all my other friends I won't ride with them unless they are geared up, they always wear helmets, but often skip everything else, laugh that I'm the only not squid and have a fun ride... If no gear was worn by my crashed buddy, then he'd be my dead buddy and I'm not cool with that.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by shortbus; 09-27-12 at 09:50 AM.

Re: ATGATT

Oh, man glad to hear that he wasn't injured much more then he was. I never ride without gear just because that might happen. I have some friends that are young kids & they wear shorts, T-shirts, sneakers etc. & I won't ride with them for that reason. I keep telling them & they say that they will never go down. I laugh at that. When it's way too hot I refuse to ride for the reason that I wear gear. well, glad that he's ok.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yikes!! I'm glad that he's okay. I can't imagine how scary that must've been. Please tell him my best wishes for a speedy recovery. It'll probably put him off riding for a bit, unless he's got balls of steel. Hopefully, his insurance will cover the bike so that can get his ride back [whether or not he chooses to continue]. I know that crashes like this scare a lot of people. This is why I'm ATGATT.

Can you tell why the crash happened? Was there debris on the road, or something ahead of him? Maybe there was a panic stop and he low/highsided? Just a bit curious for the details if it's okay to ask.

You need to help yourself first before you can help anyone else.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R [Haku]
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 [Kiku]

Glad he's doing okay!

Last time I rode 118, there were lots of big cracks in the pavement, sand, etc, so I'm not surprised to hear about a crash there.

And yeah, incidents like this make you appreciate good gear. If you want more ammunition to convince friends to wear good gear (or that an accident can take place for reasons beyond their control), point them to my crash thread -- I got broadsided by an SUV, which broke my femur and slammed me down onto the pavement, but because I was wearing good quality gear, I received no road rash and only had the broken bone to heal from, not major soft tissue damage (also, my helmet definitely saved my life).
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...e-our-own.html

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Holy smokes! That looks like a pretty bad off. Glad to hear that your friend made it out of that alive, with minimal injuries. I wish him a quick recovery. Thanks for sharing this with us. Maybe it will change some people's view on why they should wear ATGATT.

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Quote Originally Posted by luukasama View Post

Can you tell why the crash happened? Was there debris on the road, or something ahead of him? Maybe there was a panic stop and he low/highsided? Just a bit curious for the details if it's okay to ask.
    The road was a disaster and we were both going a little faster than the condition probably warranted, he remembers before the crash pussying out of a turn, instead of leaning further he straightened out and braked, after breaking he said he say 60 on the speedo and then remembers trying to get his helmet off.

looks like every other honda i've seen.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I'm very glad to hear he is (for the most part) in good shape and by that I mean alive and healing.

Sam

Sorry to hear about your buddy, was he a member here by any chance?

Good to hear gear saved the day again, Best wishes and hopefully he will be riding again soon.

Black/Green 09 600RR (street)
    03 600rr (Track)

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Anyone here ever had to do an emergency figure "8"?
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    Yah, I was being chased by bee. He was too quick to lose on the first u-turn, but I ditched him on the second one.

118 is a complete disaster. It is the worst road I have ever ridden on my bike, including dirt roads. I rode it a couple months ago and the conditions literally force you to ride at maximum 40mph for most of it. It is so bad that there were a few sections that I was afraid I might bend a rim. I can't imagine how you were riding at 60-70 on any stretch of that road.

I also need to get a pair of leather pants, however. I just recently bought a pair of full gauntlet style gloves, and I will never go back to wrist gloves.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 09-27-12 at 08:49 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Hey didnt you buy the Shoei from me? The black one? Its an RF-1000 model. Great lid. I think its time for me to pony up for the Dainese leather pants to zip into the jacket...

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I also need to get a pair of leather pants, however. I just recently bought a pair of full gauntlet style gloves, and I will never go back to wrist gloves.
    Same here.

I first started riding with dirt bike gloves (I already had them and I figured they were better than nothing). Then I got some shorty gloves. Once I got a pair of full gauntlet gloves I never felt safe in the shorties again and permanently retired them from motorcycle use (they make great mountain bike gloves though). There is no reason for me to ever go back.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    118 is a complete disaster. It is the worst road I have ever ridden on my bike, including dirt roads. I rode it a couple months ago and the conditions literally force you to ride at maximum 40mph for most of it.
    Yeah, the whole road is garbage until the last few miles where it's not as bad, 40 was about the average for the first part of it, don't recommend it for spirited riding, but it's not a bad way to 112.

What kind of gloves did you get? Any recommendations under or around 100 bucks?

leaning towards these as they are on sale:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=Cart_Item

and does anyone know if all alpine stars pants that do zip into jackets will fit any jacket? if anyone has a pair I'm on the lookout for my tz-1 jacket

Last edited by shortbus; 09-27-12 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxxbird View Post
    Yeah, the whole road is garbage until the last few miles where it's not as bad, 40 was about the average for the first part of it, don't recommend it for spirited riding, but it's not a bad way to 112.

What kind of gloves did you get? Any recommendations under or around 100 bucks?

leaning towards these as they are on sale:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=Cart_Item
    Alpinestar gloves are garbage. For under $100 you can get a set of the version1 Cortech Adrenaline's. NHBubba mentioned getting them for around $50. I have a spare set as my back ups and they are great gloves.

Shannon

Lifer

Wholey fuck!

Glad to hear the rider is relatively intact. Bike can be replaced.

I enjoy 118 a lot. But then I ride slower than most and on a bike seemingly designed for that kind of pavement.

I just upgraded to a 2nd hand pair of leather pants myself. Was delighted when I discovered they zip to the jacket I already owned.

Gear the fuck up indeed.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Dip Dungles View Post
    For under $100 you can get a set of the version1 Cortech Adrenaline's. NHBubba mentioned getting them for around $50. I have a spare set as my back ups and they are great gloves.
    STG still has 'em, although in extremely limited sizes and colors. I also picked up a spare pair for whenever. I think they are a quality glove too. But then I am far from an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    STG still has 'em, although in extremely limited sizes and colors. I also picked up a spare pair for whenever. I think they are a quality glove too. But then I am far from an expert.
    Theres a pair on ebay right now I'll be watching, eventually all the gears gonna be used on the track and I'd rather pay once now for the midrange good stuff than total crap. Just makes no financial sense while I'm in school taking out loans to drop money on a bike and track days. Something to look forward to in a few years.

Theres a pair on ebay right now I'll be watching, eventually all the gears gonna be used on the track and I'd rather pay once now for the midrange good stuff than total crap. Just makes no financial sense while I'm in school taking out loans to drop money on a bike and track days. Something to look forward to in a few years.
    Smart man right there.

Shannon

Lifer

I did a track day in mine. Fortunately I have never crash tested them.

The only negative thing I can say about them so far is that the red on black gloves look really dopey matched up to my white/black/blue suit and hi-viz helmet. But then I gave up on my prospects as a style model years ago.

Wifey says the gloves look like "something darth maul would wear". Sorry, but

I will say that this also made me tell all my other friends I won't ride with them unless they are geared up, they always wear helmets, but often skip everything else, laugh that I'm the only not squid and have a fun ride... If no gear was worn by my crashed buddy, then he'd be my dead buddy and I'm not cool with that.
    Great post...glad your bud will be OK.

I don't have to say anything to any of the friends I ride with cus, at this point, it goes without saying! (And yes, I have friends. Two....which is why friend's is plural... )

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Any notes on what caused the crash? Lessons learned other than what we learned about gear?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Glad to hear he is OK aside from the "minor" injuries (compared to what could have resulted). ATGATT is definitely something I try to follow now after my crash a year ago. Those HJC helmets hold up better than some may think! Hope your friend has a speedy recovery!

Air

/I will say that this also made me tell all my other friends I won't ride with them unless they are geared up, they always wear helmets, but often skip everything else, laugh that I'm the only not squid and have a fun ride... If no gear was worn by my crashed buddy, then he'd be my dead buddy and I'm not cool with that.
    You'd think these days that everyone had heard of MRSA. Going to the hospital for road rash isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be.....

I hate to be that guy, but I wouldn't buy gear I trust with my life from ebay. Revzilla and motorcycle-superstore are so competitively priced it doesn't seem worth it, to me, to gamble with something on ebay. Just my 2 cents.

Very glad to hear your friend walked away.

And this is why I always gear up. Glad to hear your friend is recovering!

2006 DRZ400SM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast