Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Big bang engines

Lifer

Big bang engines

So all of MotoGP has switched over IIRC and now Ducati has just released their street V-4 with a big bang firing order..

Anyone think there is any possibility we will see this from one of the big-4 on a production sportbike anytime soon?

Say a big-bang GSX-R or Ninja?

Any reason it can't/shouldn't work on a streetbike? (Vibration? Durability?)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Big bang engines

I don't think it would be worth it on a road bike. The only benefits come when riding 10/10ths right?

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Lifer

Big bang engines

Well the only benefit of making the current sportbikes as small as a little childs bicycle and having 150+ hp is riding 10/10ths too right?

If that is the direction we are going and the big bang firing order is faster on the track it seems natural.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Big bang engines

I think the sole technical purpose of the "big bang" engine is to give the rear tire some extra time to recover between power pulses. Kevin Cameron did an article about this a few years ago. The tires lose some grip during each power stroke and if the next power stroke arrived before the tire recovered, a slide would start. No reason why this could not be used on the street. Might idle like Harley though...

Big bang engines

I have to wonder though. If MotoGP traction control is continued to be allowed, and it gets more sophisticated, as you would expect, wouldn't that make the need for a "Big Bang" engine, kind of moot? Maybe, if this turns out to be the case, the "Screamers" will return with a vengance. Like Kevin Cameron, I'll be watching curiously.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Big bang engines

Originally posted by Tabby
    I have to wonder though. If MotoGP traction control is continued to be allowed, and it gets more sophisticated, as you would expect, wouldn't that make the need for a "Big Bang" engine, kind of moot?
    Traction control limits the amount of power you put down. Big Bang increases said power by altering the way its put down. Polar opposite ways to get the bike to hook up.

Big bang engines

Good question. I'd have to assume the crappy idle and low rpm performance would make it undesireable on a streetbike. When I was at Laguna and heard the bikes start up, it sounded like they shouldn't even be able to run below 4-5K rpms. BAP BAP BAP BAP instead of purrrrrr if that makes any sense...

Paul_E_D

Big bang engines

150 hp can be used everyday even if you are only using 8/10 of it. The different firing order is to make the tire slip then grip as opposed to somewhat slipping 100% of the time when on the edge of traction. I don't think it would make a difference unless your tires are on the edge of traction.

We may see it on a street bike. I don't know how an odd firing order would affect the reliability and low rpm ridability?

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Big bang engines

Ah yes, its the ol' trick of making the 4cylinders fire like a twin so you get that "free'ish" traction control effect on the power.

I wonder if I can get my TLR to run like that.

OH WAIT!!! IT DOES!!!!

And yeah... anything below 4k RPM it doesn't seem to like lots of throttle.

Now if I could get the thing to weigh less than a quarter ton(and I could use to lose about 50 lbs myself too hehe).

TL1000R --- For those who like to drive high speed tanks

Lifer

Big bang engines

I don't know about the 150hp thing.

ISTR having a funny reaction at the track.. I don't think I'd actually used full throttle all the way through the rev range in like a year.

I bet most of the time I ride around never using more then 50hp.

How about make it an option on the race reps.. if you're going to take them to the track or turn them into a racebike, etc... Kawasaki was offering the ZX-6RR they could easily have made that a big-banger cause probably no one rode it around on the street. 600s don't seem to need it anyway but you get the point.

Big bang engines

I'm gonna go with the 50 HP number as to what you use on the street. That's why SVs and Ducatis make such good street bikes. They put down a lot of torque at and below 60 HP.

Now, I guess if you do regular top speed runs you could use more or all of the 150 ponies, but you won't have a license for long.

Paul_E_D

Big bang engines

Would a big bang I4 have the same engine braking characteristics as a twin?

Also is it not true that part of Ducati's V4 twin pulse approach was that they couldn't produce a twin that would be competitive, but the fact that it was firing each bank at once made it seem more 'ducati-like'?

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Big bang engines

Originally posted by LiononaLeash
    I wonder if I can get my TLR to run like that.

OH WAIT!!! IT DOES!!!!

And yeah... anything below 4k RPM it doesn't seem to like lots of throttle.
    i got stuck on the highway last nite, they were repaveing i hate the RC at low RPMs nuttin like riden for 15mins at 5mph lol

Originally posted by LiononaLeash
    Now if I could get the thing to weigh less than a quarter ton(and I could use to lose about 50 lbs myself too hehe).
    haha

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold