Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beginner bike?

Smile Beginner bike?

I feel like I am wasting too much time without buying a bike and come next paycheck, I plan on definitely buying one. I have a few questions and considering the expertise and awesomeness of the NESR folks I assume this would be the best place to ask. So...

I read a lot about beginner bikes and it seems like a lot of people have different opinions. I have previously ridden 150-200cc motorcycles for over 6 years (in India). I think that a 500-600cc sport bike (that I shall ride cautiously for over 6 months) might be a good thing. i.e. (Yamaha yzf-r6 etc). Some tell me I am better off with a 250cc but I am not sure about this. Do you guys have any tips for me?

Secondly, the NESR for sale forum seems to be the best place to find good deals by good people. If I am having trouble accumulating funds.. should I seek financing options or am I better off finding a dealer who sells pre-owned motorcycles?

These two questions are bugging me day and night and will continue to do so until I get a bike. So any help is appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Beginner bike?

1. the best beginner bike will depend on you. i started on a 600 and now ride a 250 on the street. it's a great bike and i can see why it would be good for a beginner, but i also see benefits of me learning on the 600 as well

2. shop/call around

I've only been riding a few years so I'd wait for some of the more experienced members to chime in as well.

A 150-200cc bike is pretty different thing all together from an R6. The weight, geometry, power-band, etc. Something to consider. Although India seems to be a bit of a jungle in terms of driving, there's also experience that needs to be gained in riding around here. Theres more to riding safely than being able to handle your bike.

Regarding financing, if you're this strapped to purchase a bike, financing will only increase the burden as you'll have to get more insurance to also cover the bike in case of an accident, since there will be a lien on it.

Regarding the purchase of a sport bike, if you're going to buy one, you're going to buy one. If you're posting hoping for validation of your decision, don't be surprised if people don't agree with your decision, just a warning. At the end of the day, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Last edited by Variablevalve; 06-01-11 at 01:03 PM. Reason: clarity
    2000 Suzuki Bandit 600
    1978 Suzuki GS550E (Project)

If it is a beginner bike, engine size matters a lot less than geometry and style of bike.

I personally would not recommend starting on a supersport.

I'd aim for a dual-sport, a naked standard or even a smaller sport touring bike. You will be more comfortable, they handle a bit more forgivingly and your insurance will not be as high.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Its all about self control. Doesnt matter the size of the bike, I know guys starting out on r1's and busa's and havnt crashed yet. Take the MSF and be safe!

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 12Pack View Post
    Its all about self control. Doesnt matter the size of the bike,
    No.

I know guys starting out on r1's and busa's and havnt crashed yet.
    Yet.

Take the MSF and be safe!
    Yes.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Don't ignore the current crop of 650cc twins out there, right now. There's some great bikes that are perfect beginner machines that will take you a lot further than a 250.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post
    Don't ignore the current crop of 650cc twins out there, right now. There's some great bikes that are perfect beginner machines that will take you a lot further than a 250.
    How far does a 250 take you?

If you really want to jump on a 600cc sportbike or sport tourer, I'd look at a cheap, older one to get a feel for it without all the power today's 600's offer.

Something along the lines of a GS500F, SV650, FZ6, F4i or thereabouts.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
    Pretty far, IMO, depending on your weight, but it seems that a lot of people move on to something bigger after a year or two.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Pretty far, IMO, depending on your weight, but it seems that a lot of people move on to something bigger after a year or two.
    Sorry for the rash comment on my part, it just seems everyone says the 250 only goes so far. Don't get me wrong I like the 650's and think they make reasonable beginner bikes as well, but I'm now on my third year with a 250 and it does everything I need it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Variablevalve View Post
    I've only been riding a few years so I'd wait for some of the more experienced members to chime in as well.

A 150-200cc bike is pretty different thing all together from an R6. The weight, geometry, power-band, etc. Something to consider. Although India seems to be a bit of a jungle in terms of driving, there's also experience that needs to be gained in riding around here. Theres more to riding safely than being able to handle your bike.

Regarding financing, if you're this strapped to purchase a bike, financing will only increase the burden as you'll have to get more insurance to also cover the bike in case of an accident, since there will be a lien on it.

Regarding the purchase of a sport bike, if you're going to buy one, you're going to buy one. If you're posting hoping for validation of your decision, don't be surprised if people don't agree with your decision, just a warning. At the end of the day, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.
    I do wish to buy an r6 but if I can find a slower bike under $1500 (yeah I'm broke) I am sold. I haven't made up my mind yet but I tend to get impatient sometimes as I wait to buy a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SheilaMac View Post
    If you find a Ninja 250 for $850-1000 - can you please contact me?? I am dying to get a bike, but apparently too poor....
    lol.. let me know if you find one as well

Sorry for the rash comment on my part, it just seems everyone says the 250 only goes so far. Don't get me wrong I like the 650's and think they make reasonable beginner bikes as well, but I'm now on my third year with a 250 and it does everything I need it to do.
    Hey, I've got one in the garage, and I did a track day on it earlier this year. Had a blast. It just seemsto me that most people consider them to be a stepping stone, where something bigger is the ultimate goal. I'd sooner recommend something in the 650 category (Ninja, SV, or my favorite the Versys) to someone who has that in mind.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Hey, I've got one in the garage, and I did a track day on it earlier this year. Had a blast. It just seemsto me that most people consider them to be a stepping stone, where something bigger is the ultimate goal. I'd sooner recommend something in the 650 category (Ninja, SV, or my favorite the Versys) to someone who has that in mind.
    Ya I understand that thought process and like I said I don't think the 650s are that bad of beginner bikes either, especially someone that has rode a bit in the past. Nice thing about the 250 is you can buy it, ride it two years and more than likely sell it for what you paid for it.

To both you and Sheila, if you haven't been told yet searchtempest.com can be a big help. It lets you search all craiglists posting with a certain mile range.

[QUOTE=drowe531;1058511]How far does a 250 take you?

Maybe to the corner
    The 600 will take you a bit further.

[quote=06gixgirl;1058576]

Maybe to the corner

I have been riding for a number of years and I am looking to get back into a VTR 250..

Geometry, weight and throttle response are all important things to look at with a bike.

You need to flat foot it, feel comfortable and not do a wheelie when you don't mean to.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by 06gixgirl

Maybe to the corner
    I was thinking something like first base, and a 600 will get you to third maybe even home... depending on the color

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Have some Confidence Get whatever bike you want. and Take the MSF. Learn to ride it safely and You will have a blast. Its only 600 cc Not a Bomb. Use your head and enjoy. If you are a knucklehead you are gonna get screwed up on any bike no matter the size.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by dsmclown View Post
    I was thinking something like first base, and a 600 will get you to third maybe even home... depending on the color
    Just read the title TL;DR ... but... .....

Bahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

I started on an sv650 and to this day never regretted it. Great bike, naked for drops and not a ton of power.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Quote Originally Posted by dsmclown View Post
    maybe...but if he had the 750 or 1000 that would take him on a home run for sure.

To both you and Sheila, if you haven't been told yet searchtempest.com can be a big help. It lets you search all craiglists posting with a certain mile range.
    Well, fuck a duck and see what hatches!!

I never knew!

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast