Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beginner's gear help

Beginner's gear help

Picking up a Ninja 250 to learn on in the next week or so, but I've been picking up some gear in the mean time to get myself ready. Hoping someone here can help me out with a few beginners questions.

I'm having some issue with jacket sizing. I like the Alpinestars line and went ahead and ordered one of their higher end model jackets online (wanted the GP armor because I'm paranoid like that). I'm 5'10", 135lbs, with a 37" chest and 32" waist. Ordered a 50 with upgraded back and chest armor. I just got it in the mail today (couldn't find any store around here that carried them to try on) and feel like it may be a bit small. If I reach my arms back, I can partially undo the velcro tab in the front. At rest, sleeves come to about 1.5" above wrist. Reaching forward is hard as well, and I'm unable to fully extend my arms. There is about an inch or so of extra material around my stomach and near shoulder blades. Worth going to a 52 or is this going to break in a bit?

Besides a good jacket, helmet, and pair of gloves, what else is really mandatory for a beginner? Is it worth getting a pair of riding boots / pants, or will a pair of thick jeans and hightop shoes suffice for now? Worth taking the beginners class? My plan was to learn a bit on my own and from some experienced riders, and take an intermediate class later this year or next. Any other tips or suggestions for a New England rider? Appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Beginner's gear help

Quote Originally Posted by camhabib View Post
    Picking up a Ninja 250 to learn on in the next week or so, but I've been picking up some gear in the mean time to get myself ready. Hoping someone here can help me out with a few beginners questions.

I'm having some issue with jacket sizing. I like the Alpinestars line and went ahead and ordered one of their higher end model jackets online (wanted the GP armor because I'm paranoid like that). I'm 5'10", 135lbs, with a 37" chest and 32" waist. Ordered a 50 with upgraded back and chest armor. I just got it in the mail today (couldn't find any store around here that carried them to try on) and feel like it may be a bit small. If I reach my arms back, I can partially undo the velcro tab in the front. At rest, sleeves come to about 1.5" above wrist. Reaching forward is hard as well, and I'm unable to fully extend my arms. There is about an inch or so of extra material around my stomach and near shoulder blades. Worth going to a 52 or is this going to break in a bit?

Besides a good jacket, helmet, and pair of gloves, what else is really mandatory for a beginner? Is it worth getting a pair of riding boots / pants, or will a pair of thick jeans and hightop shoes suffice for now? Worth taking the beginners class? My plan was to learn a bit on my own and from some experienced riders, and take an intermediate class later this year or next. Any other tips or suggestions for a New England rider? Appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

Im a 52 in A* leather jacket...im 5'7 and 185 and it fits me perfectly...use that as a guideline?

I can't tell you about a jacket...you do want it to be a bit snug & leather will expand. someone else on here will prob help you with that.

as to classes I'd take the MFS course for sure. great course & you will learn alot. go do the course.

also I personally would get good riding boots. I have Sidi & have since day one of riding. If I ride local I just wear jeans, boots, jacket & gloves. longer rides I do leather pants etc.

where do you live?

I agree on the boots. Since I got boots, I think I've ridden once without them and I was very uncomfortable the whole time. I would start with a commuter style boot: leather, some ankle/shin protection but look more like a normal boot and are comfortable enough to walk around in. Just get something you will want to wear, not something you will feel like is a chore to wear.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

I won't ride without a quality riding boot, foot/ankle injuries are very common and it's a small price to pay to save your feet. Jeans and hightops will not do you dick if you have an off and yes shit gets expensive but even inexpensive pants and boots will be better. as far as the jacket goes how does it feel when you are on the bike? They are built for riding not walking around and I'm not sure how your jacket is put together but some are really made to be used with a gauntlet style glove so they will be an 1" or so short of your wrist so as to not interfer with the glove, if that makes sense. if not I'll go have another beer and try again later.

good job on getting gear, smart move

Last edited by G21forme; 04-07-11 at 05:57 PM.

Bottom line is there are tons of people here that can help you man. just start with the basics

Boots
    gloves
    jacket (with padding)
    helmet

just, make sure everything fits like it should.

I wouldn't go bigger. Gear is supposed to be snug and a little restricting. Unfortunately, you are anorexic and have their figure of a super model so finding something that fits perfectly will be difficult. Generally I'd recommend Alpinestars or Dainese for skinnier people. Just get some nice gauntlet gloves to cover up your wrists.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

Also in for the boots. My first year of riding I wore cheap construction boots. I've now switched to SIDI boots. Adds a lot of confidence especially without laces and a nice snug fit with some armoring. The few times I have ridden with regular street footwear since then were really weird.

So far as pants go I rock jeans most of the time in the warmer months, for commuting. I switch to a cheap pair of Alpinestars "cargos" which are textile for longer and more aggressive riding. Also wear them in colder weather as they have some lining. I don't think they were much money but seem substantially more crash-worthy than jeans.

no bikes currently

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by 06gixgirl View Post
    where do you live?
    I'm from just south of Boston. If there are any car guys here on YR or in PCA, they'll probably recognize the username.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTurbo6 View Post
    I wouldn't go bigger. Gear is supposed to be snug and a little restricting. Unfortunately, you are anorexic and have their figure of a super model so finding something that fits perfectly will be difficult. Generally I'd recommend Alpinestars or Dainese for skinnier people. Just get some nice gauntlet gloves to cover up your wrists.
    Tell me about it. I've been trying to gain weight with no luck. I just ordered a size up and I'll just return if it's too big, but I have a feeling that with all the armor I added, a size up may be best.

I was looking at the Sidi ST's, but I was a bit worried that they'd be too wide in the leg. I'm stopping by Riverside tomorrow as they said they have a few in there to try on.

Any recs on full gauntlet gloves or cheap pants?

Any recs on full gauntlet gloves or cheap pants?
    Gloves: Cortech injectors, if you can get'em on discount. The MSRP is like $80, but I got mine for like $40. Here's where you can get some cheap.

^Now those are the cheapest gloves I can recommend. If you want to spend a bit more, you may want to check out the gloves from HELD. Most of the HELD gloves are made out Kangaroo Leather which is really soft and supple. The HELD Phantom and HELD Titan are regarded as some of the best gloves on the market.

As far as pants go, personally, I prefer to ride with pants that are the same brand as my jacket. And no this isn't for OCD reasons or to look cool. The fact is, that most jackets have a "pant connection" zipper that connects to riding pants. This prevents the jacket from "riding up" in a crash and getting rash on your abdomen. However, most pants, regardless of brand will have the other end of said zipper that can be attached to the jacket.
    I also recommend getting pants with full-length side zippers. These make all the difference of you're gonna be commuting.

I might be able to find ya some links to pants that are on closeout. What's your inseam?

Last edited by Rossco; 04-07-11 at 07:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Do you already have a bike license? Alpinestar gloves are good..but, there is many brands that are good out there.

but, do the MFS course..very informational & you will learn alot.

Quote Originally Posted by 06gixgirl View Post
    Do you already have a bike license? Alpinestar gloves are good..but, there is many brands that are good out there.

but, do the MFS course..very informational & you will learn alot.
    Don't have a license yet, still on my learners permit.

Don't have a license yet, still on my learners permit.
    If you pass the MSF course you will get your license. Taking the course is highly recommended.

Out of curiosity, what kind of topics are covered in the basic course, both class room and hands on sessions?

Take the course, it's worth it. They teach you a lot about awareness and how to swerve should you need to avoid something. Better safe than sorry when it comes to bikes.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

Out of curiosity, what kind of topics are covered in the basic course, both class room and hands on sessions?
    You'll learn everything from the controls of a bike to swerving, braking, proper cornering and much more. It's a good thing to take. It'll get you out of bad riding habits before you start them. I still think back to stuff I learned in my BRC pretty much every time I ride.

http://www.trainingwheelsonline.com/

They have great instructors...or so I hear.

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynnus View Post
    http://www.trainingwheelsonline.com/

They have great instructors...or so I hear.
    some of em are kinda hot too...
    ...so I hear

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

cam...

the fact that you are even thinking about gear and asking questions is a great sign. Buy the best you can afford...and wear what you buy.

Take the MSF...and, maybe a track day or two down the line.

You might want to take a ride up to Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry and see Patricia or Sarah. They'll spend as much time sizing you up as you need and you'll meet at ton of great folks who come in and out!

(like me...if you're lucky!)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Hi Cam! Good on ya for gearing up right from the get go.

As far as jacket fitment goes, get on a bike and into riding position to make sure it's a comfortable fit. Make sure your jacket is as snug of a fit as possible- this reduces the chance of the built in armor moving around on you in the event of a fall. Can you snap any pics of you in the jacket? Might give us a better idea of the fit. Definitely buy quality gloves and over the ankle boots. It is severely IMPORTANT you buy a helmet that is the correct fit for you. The cheek pads should press firmly against your cheeks, you should have a snug consistent pressure around the crown of the head, you should not be able to rotate or move the helmet around on your head when you grab the chinbar and move it side to side.

I highly recommend you find a dealership or shop to try gear on at and ask questions, usually the staff are a wealth of information and it really helps to find your size and fit in a variety of brands. Annnnd couldn't hurt to support the local business either Good luck, ride safe and have fun!

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Lifer

All great comments. As someone who took up riding seriously only 4 years ago I think the initial gear investment can be daunting. I started out my first year with newenough.com and motorcycle-superstore.com closeout stuff. I did buy everything: boots and pants included. I probably spent 1/4 of what I would have spent on top end gear. I didn't know that I was going to love riding so much. I am slowly upgrading to higher quality gear (I can also afford more now). Jeans and riding shoes are not enough. I bought textile pants for $80 and boots for $50 on clearance and both were tested during a crash (unfortunately). I still use both of them.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Next MSF class with a free spot near me isn't until later this month, so I'll probably practice a bit on my own until then.

I called up a few stores and all of them said I have the right size (50). I couldn't snap a good picture, but I'll probably stop by a shop tomorrow with it and see what they have to say. I have a feeling it's more than likely the right size and I'm just not used to the way it feels.

As for helmet, I tried on a Corsair V in a small and it felt comfortable, but snug. I'm planning on stopping by Duncan Moto tomorrow and getting their opinion. I know the RX-Q is geared more toward street than the Corsair, but I liked the increased number of vents and overall feel of it.

Picking up a pair of boots as soon as I find one that fits. Was told the Sidi Vortice is likely the most narrow boot I'll find, so I may pick up a set of those to try them. I like the Alpinestars gloves too, so I'll be on the lookout for a set of those too.

Thanks again to everyone.

I am 5'10 and 135 also. I wear a size 50 suit or jacket. I have a 30 waist and a 32 inseam.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Anyone have a rec on a good dealer to get a 250 from? I've been doing a little searching and can't seem to find a clean used 2009+ one for less than $3500. I'm thinking for an extra $500, I'll get a nice finance deal and a brand new bike. Thoughts?

for that extra 500$ just get it new. Will come with 1 year unlimited mile warranty. Plus 25o's retain their value REALLY well so if you end up wanting something new next year dealers love taking them in on trade.

only boston Area Kawi dealer i know of is Greater Boston Motorsports. I've haven't had the best experiences with them but they are the closest.

If your ever out by the Worcester Area. Performance Cycles in Shrewsbusy is the Kawi dealer I got my bike from and they have been awesome to me.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast