Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bent Rim Repair

Redistribution Supplier

Bent Rim Repair

Riding my Multistrada earlier today and on S Schoolhouse Rd In Leyden, about 500ft before the Greenfiled Rd intersection I hit a huge pothole that bent the hell out of my rim. Normally I avoid potholes, but this particular one was on a 15mph right turn with trees throwing shade over the pavement, it was basically dark around that turn, wasn't going that fast because I knew the intersection was coming up. Jacked up my arm and put me out of the seat a little, thankfully nothing major like getting thrown off and dumping the bike. I wasn't too far from home, limped back on Route 2, took little over an hour.

Did a search here but all I could find were a couple of threads 10 years old that mentioned Wills Rim Repair and another place in AZ, the AZ place might be an option, and Wills seems like he is out of business. Anybody know of a place in New England that fixes bent rims? Internet search doesn't give me a lot of hits except a mobile car rim repair place in Groton, called but but no answer. A front rim from Ducati is $1831.00, so would like to try and fix.

Here is a picture. the scraped part is from where the bent rim was hitting the front brake line, right before the banjo bolt.

Bent Rim Repair-wheel-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Bent Rim Repair

I have taken stuff to McWheel when he was in NH, but he is in AZ now, the wheel you show in the pic is easily repairable

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Redistribution Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I have taken stuff to McWheel when he was in NH, but he is in AZ now, the wheel you show in the pic is easily repairable

Thanks, that is encouraging knowing it is fixable.

WAs thinking of banging it with a rubber mallet to see if I can make any progress.

Last edited by FalArAk; 07-20-22 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FalArAk View Post

WAs thinking of banging it with a rubber mallet to see if I can make any progress.
    For what its worth, I tried pounding on an aluminum car wheel with a hammer and a block of wood, it straightened out the lip but cracked the metal and I then had to get it welded....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hypertarded

need to heat it up to avoid what Xrocket21 said, sure it's possible to do yourself, but I kinda look at this type of work as "art", as there is no correct temp to heat to or no correct amount of force to hit the wheel without damage. With experience you just know...

Holy FAHK!

There used to be a place on South Willow Street in Manchester, NH that repaired wheels. Not sure if they did M/C's too, but they seemed to do a lot of business. I can try to take a spin by there in a day or two and see if they're still up & running.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Redistribution Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    need to heat it up to avoid what Xrocket21 said, sure it's possible to do yourself, but I kinda look at this type of work as "art", as there is no correct temp to heat to or no correct amount of force to hit the wheel without damage. With experience you just know...
    Believe me, banging on the rim myself is a last resort, not first option lol

Redistribution Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Holy FAHK!

There used to be a place on South Willow Street in Manchester, NH that repaired wheels. Not sure if they did M/C's too, but they seemed to do a lot of business. I can try to take a spin by there in a day or two and see if they're still up & running.

The place in Groton is one of those franchise places, probably use the same tech as any shop I would imagine.

I called Seacoast to see who they send that work to, haven't got a call back yet. Probably call another rim place, one in Waltham that does high end rims, see what they say.

back when McWheel was in NH, I hung around and watched em do a wheel, he banged on it with a hammer as he spun the wheel on his machine, just feeling it by hand till he stopped, and put the dial indicator against the wheel, it was within .01" all the way around, all by eyeball and feel

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

willing to ship? there are places that give great rim jobs

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Redistribution Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    willing to ship? there are places that give great rim jobs
    Would prefer locally, obviously.

I have little to no faith in the 2 major common carriers, just a feeling it will be floating around the US for 2 weeks, or just losing it all together. The rates they charge are insane nowadays, but ya, If that is the only option I will send it out to mc wheels.

The place in Groton is one of those franchise places, probably use the same tech as any shop I would imagine.

I called Seacoast to see who they send that work to, haven't got a call back yet. Probably call another rim place, one in Waltham that does high end rims, see what they say.
    Would you like me to take a spin by and see if the place in Manchester (NH) is up & running?

Redistribution Supplier

Would you like me to take a spin by and see if the place in Manchester (NH) is up & running?
    That would be great, thanks!

All of the rim straightening places I looked at just do cars. One of the places I looked at said motorcycle rim, then scroll through FAQ and revuews, they dont do m/c rims.

Gonna call some of those rim places today and get some more info. Now I have to pay someone to take the tire off the rim...The struggle is real

That would be great, thanks!

All of the rim straightening places I looked at just do cars. One of the places I looked at said motorcycle rim, then scroll through FAQ and revuews, they dont do m/c rims.

Gonna call some of those rim places today and get some more info. Now I have to pay someone to take the tire off the rim...The struggle is real
    You can easily muscle the tire off the wheel with 3 tire spoons and Vice Grip Locking C-Clamps. The hardest part may be breaking the bead if it's not already. Tools readily available at any Harbor Freight type place. Try to find straps of leather or rubber or some shit to use under the tire spoons so you don't do anymore damage to your wheel. If you were close, I'd gladly help you with that.

Redistribution Supplier

You can easily muscle the tire off the wheel with 3 tire spoons and Vice Grip Locking C-Clamps. The hardest part may be breaking the bead if it's not already. Tools readily available at any Harbor Freight type place. Try to find straps of leather or rubber or some shit to use under the tire spoons so you don't do anymore damage to your wheel. If you were close, I'd gladly help you with that.
    Ya, I know it's possible to DIY, rather just pay someone $30 or whatever.

Amazingly enough, the tire is still holding air, I can see the lip of the tire through the bent rim.. That was my greatest concern riding on Rt2 for an hour, going around a turn and the tire deforming and losing the bead.

They're in Australia but I still follow these guys on Facebook: All Aluminum Welding. Some of the repairs there are amazing...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Ya, I know it's possible to DIY, rather just pay someone $30 or whatever.

Amazingly enough, the tire is still holding air, I can see the lip of the tire through the bent rim.. That was my greatest concern riding on Rt2 for an hour, going around a turn and the tire deforming and losing the bead.
    It's really not that difficult. Let the wheel/tire assembly sit outside for a couple hours and it'll be cake. Once you break the bead, get a little Vaseline around the lip of the tire. An extra set of hands helps. Getting it back on is more difficult in my opinion. Sounds like you're in western MA?

Redistribution Supplier

It's really not that difficult. Let the wheel/tire assembly sit outside for a couple hours and it'll be cake. Once you break the bead, get a little Vaseline around the lip of the tire. An extra set of hands helps. Getting it back on is more difficult in my opinion. Sounds like you're in western MA?
    Im in Sterling.

I know it is relatively simple to do with the right tools and knowledge, I guess I was just complaining for the sake of complaining.. Swapping tires is basically the only maintenance I don't do.. I do balance the wheels after I get them back from the shop.

If I didn't rent, I would have a tire machine mounted to a slab in my basement

There has to be a place around, if someone brings their bike to a dealer/shop obviously the dealer doesn't do the work..

So far it looks like the closest and best place to send it is in NC https://www.raleighwheelrepair.com/

Another place in MD https://www.taswheels.com/price-list

Texas https://www.rimspec.com/southlake-te...-wheel-repair/

Last edited by FalArAk; 07-21-22 at 09:11 AM.

Would prefer locally, obviously.

I have little to no faith in the 2 major common carriers, just a feeling it will be floating around the US for 2 weeks, or just losing it all together. The rates they charge are insane nowadays, but ya, If that is the only option I will send it out to mc wheels.
    no worries. there is a guy in MD that does our race bike wheels. does wonders with carbon wheels too. very reasonable prices

EX 105

Redistribution Supplier

no worries. there is a guy in MD that does our race bike wheels. does wonders with carbon wheels too. very reasonable prices
    It's looking more like I will have to send them out. I'll give him my business if I can't find anything locally. Do you have a name or link?

Do you know if he does magnesium wheels? Crack-testing and that kind of thing?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Do you know if he does magnesium wheels? Crack-testing and that kind of thing?
    no. cant guarantee finish on mag wheels from what i hear

EX 105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast