Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Über-cold weather gear?

Über-cold weather gear?

I'd like to ride almost all year-round, so can any of y'all give me recommendations about good gear for the really, really cold?

I have a Dainese two-piece GoreTex suit that I'll probably get rid of as it's a little too big for me, so I'd like something to replace it for the colder months. I've got two-piece leathers as well, but unless I'm wearing thermals I think it'd be too cold...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Über-cold weather gear?

gerbings

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Über-cold weather gear?

RandyO: I was hoping you'd reply. What Gerbing stuff do you use besides gloves: vest liner, jacket liner, full jacket? Pants liner or pants? Do you wear a (non-heated) ski-mask or scarf or anything? Anything to stop your breath from fogging up your visor?

Last edited by number9; 11-03-05 at 08:44 AM.

Über-cold weather gear?

Also visit a snow mobil shop

for special warm fog free helmets etc.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Über-cold weather gear?

I have a Gerbings jacket, grip heaters from Kimpex, Held Hawk cold weather gloves and a Fog City fog sheild inside my helmet. I wear a one piece Aerostich Roadcfrafter suit. I augment the Gerbings jacket with a flannel or fleece over it (but under the stich) if it's below 40 F. I also have LL Bean flannel lined bluejeans to wear under the stich exceptionally cold days as well. Hardly ever get any worse than mildly hypothermic.

Lifer

Über-cold weather gear?

I have a Dainese 2-piece gore-tex suit too... I wouldn't sell it unless it really fits badly, mine has been great in cold weather.

Just stick a gerbing's heated jacket under it and put some heated grips on your bike and you should be good to go in all but the nastiest weather.

Don't forget a balaclava, some warm boots & socks, long underwear to go under the (hopefully insulated) gore-tex pants, a base layer shirt to go under the heated jacket, and possibly a chin curtain for your helmet to keep the air out.

I have trouble if it gets down to the teens. But it's really not fun to ride when the weather is that cold anyway, and you're so bundled up you can barely move.

Über-cold weather gear?

stoinkythepig: What's the one-piece suit like? Is it an "over" suit that you put over something else (like a rainsuit), or does it have insulation of it's own? And coming from a hot climate, "mildly hypothermic" does not sound like what I want :p

benVFR: I was actually planning on selling at least the jacket & buying another, the pants are only a "little" too big but the jacket is at least a size-and-change too big. I got it at about 60% off, hence I wasn't too concerned about the size. If I sell it I'll buy something else Dainese Gore-Tex (if I have the cash!), as back home I was riding in say mid-40s and I was actually hot in the thing.

I was actually thinking of a Hein Gericke balaclava, as they go all the way down from the top of your head to the top of your chest. I'm sure other brands do as well, but theres is the only catalogue I have handy.

What's the deal with riding in snow/ice? On regular tyres, that is, not the superduperwets that RandyO posted a photo of. I've never driven on ice, much less ridden; I know they clear the roads but are there days - or more to the point, months - when it's just too bad to ride?

Über-cold weather gear?

Originally posted by number9
    stoinkythepig: What's the one-piece suit like? Is it an "over" suit that you put over something else (like a rainsuit), or does it have insulation of it's own? And coming from a hot climate, "mildly hypothermic" does not sound like what I want

What's the deal with riding in snow/ice? On regular tyres, that is, not the superduperwets that RandyO posted a photo of. I've never driven on ice, much less ridden; I know they clear the roads but are there days - or more to the point, months - when it's just too bad to ride?
    The suit is an over suit. It fits loosely enough to layer up under it. If you can only own one motorcycle suit, it's an excellent choice. It has no insulation of it's own and is not very warm by istelf. I can wear it in 90 degree weather without being uncomfortable.

When I was younger, I did not get as cold but now I'm nearing 40 and find that I get colder more quickly and take longer to warm up as well. My commute by bike is 1:20 each way too. Depending on your age, you may find the gerbings and a suit of some sort more than adequate.

I avoid riding on ice like the plague and have never ventured out on snow on purpose. It's very dangerous. I find that cold pavement is dangerous enough.

Lifer

Über-cold weather gear?

Yah if you're going to go out in snow take all precautions.... get the proper tires like Randy does or go right to a dirtbike, those are supposedly pretty decent in the snow.

I MTB in the snow every winter though and even that can get hairy with studded ice tires with tread blocks shaped for snow... personally I have no real need to have lots of horsepower in situations that bad.

If you are going to trade your jacket/pants either get the 1-piece or make sure the jacket is full length.

The balaclava you mention is the right thing.. mine goes down and covers your shoulders.

Make sure the jacket has plenty of room in the arms, when you stick the gerbing's jacket on the sleeves tend to get tight.

You may also want to watch it when they size you for the gerbing's. I don't know where you're going to end up going but Motomarket sizes to keep the heated jacket very tight. It's warmer that way but you have no tolerance for gaining weight and in my case the neck is just too tight once I get into a riding position.

Über-cold weather gear?

stoinkythepig: I was considering getting an oversuit at some stage anyway, I find that in the absolute "pissing rain" (as we say) that even in two-piece leathers I can get wet under my gear, if I'm out there long enough. It's all fun and games until you've got wet nads; so I'd rather avoid that if I can. I'm only 23 so I don't think I'll mind it too much, maybe next year when I'm older the weather could pose a problem I wouldn't purposely ride on ice, but I imagine that snow will be a little common?

benVFR: A little part of me is tempted to buy a cheap four-stroke dirtbike just to hack around on in the truly awful conditions... but I guess I'll have to wait and see on that one. From the sounds of it by the time I wear thermals and a heated jacket liner/vest my Gore-Tex stuff might fit just fine - so maybe I'll hold onto it for a little while yet. I didn't really realise that people make one-piece Gore-Tex suits, but to be honest I think I'd prefer the flexibility of a two-piece. One-piece leather suits I like, though. So, thanks for the info about Motomarket's sizings...

This stuff is hard for me to judge, the only NE winter I've ever had was last year; but even then I was out of Maine by mid-December so it wasn't even "that" cold. Do you guys write off January and February as just being too damn snowy/icey/cold-y? And stick to cages? Apart from the seeming die-hard RandyO..!

Über-cold weather gear?

Buy a snowmobile! There are enough trails up there to get you anywhere you want to go when it is nasty out!

Über-cold weather gear?

stoinkythepig: I was considering getting an oversuit at some stage anyway, I find that in the absolute "pissing rain" (as we say) that even in two-piece leathers I can get wet under my gear, if I'm out there long enough. It's all fun and games until you've got wet nads; so I'd rather avoid that if I can. I'm only 23 so I don't think I'll mind it too much, maybe next year when I'm older the weather could pose a problem I wouldn't purposely ride on ice, but I imagine that snow will be a little common?

I like wet nads under the right circumstances...

I won't head out if the roads have snow on them. I have been "caught" in a couple of storms but never had to deal with any accumulated snow on the ground.

When you say: "as we say", who is "we"? Where ya from (other than ME) in other words?

I am in Windham ME often. We boat on Sebago now and then and also spend a few weekends in Bridgton per year.

Über-cold weather gear?

RandyO: I was hoping you'd reply. What Gerbing stuff do you use besides gloves: vest liner, jacket liner, full jacket? Pants liner or pants? Do you wear a (non-heated) ski-mask or scarf or anything? Anything to stop your breath from fogging up your visor?
    I only have a gerbings jacket liner, and Hot grips heated grips, suplimented with KLR handguards to keep the wind off my hands

depending on the temps I layer in the coldest weather I have ridden in, (12 below F) a 100ħ mile ride around Lake winnipesaukee

I wear extreme artic (heavy fleece) long johns under my First Gear HT overpants with liner, a thin longslever t shirt under the gerbings jacket liner, then my extreme artic fleece sweat shirt over the gerbings, then my First Gear HT jacket with liner over that, I wear a medium weight balaclava and helmet, only have a breather guard, I do have a fogging problem when I am not moving, I have Reima goretex gloves I got at Moto mart.
    also wear Sorel Superior boots my shifter is lengthened to accomodate the large boots

don't be afraid to use duct tape to seal leaks

I am planning on buying a snowmobile helmet, not sure If I'll get a double pane visor or a heated visor

I recommend Pirelli MT60 or Avon Extreme Rains for tires, the compounds in these tires to not turn to hockey pucks as quickly as most tires, they also have treads that can handle slushy stuff better than a regular street tire

you bike must be in good tune to start at low temps, keep the battery on a tender over nite to have a fully charged battery, be prepared to use a slamander/reddy heater kerosene type heater to warm the bike up a bit before you start it

keep your speeds 65mph or less, 80-100 below windchill goes thru your helmet fast

as ben posted, you loose mobility the way your dressed, good mirror position and riding for visibility is important

smoothness it most important

edit: It's a good idea to have disposable chemical pocket warmers handy if you need them, you can stuff them in your pockets, boots & gloves if necessary, they get hot and will last as long as you want to ride, you can buy a lot of disposable heat packs for the price of a pair of gerbings gloves

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Über-cold weather gear?

I should also say, that I only ride for pleasure in extreme cold, it takes too long to get dressed to make it worthwhile to commute, and I don't ride after dark

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Über-cold weather gear?

I have ridden a snowmobile in -20 temps and it was a blast. On wooded trails, you have to move so much to steer (if you want to maintain speed) that you get sweaty from the workout. 100 miles of wooded trails on a sled is completely exhausting for me.

Über-cold weather gear?

Originally posted by RandyO
    I am planning on buying a snowmobile helmet, not sure If I'll get a double pane visor or a heated visor

What size squash do you have. I might know of a helmet with a heated visor that might be up for sale. I'll know in a day or so.

EDIT: Snowmobile helmet is a large and I believe it is a HJC. It has 2 shields, the original and the heated. Its in good shape. He is looking for $100.00.

Über-cold weather gear?

Originally posted by skiierx
    What size squash do you have. I might know of a helmet with a heated visor that might be up for sale. I'll know in a day or so.

EDIT: Snowmobile helmet is a large and I believe it is a HJC. It has 2 shields, the original and the heated. Its in good shape. He is looking for $100.00.
    I wear an XL in an Arai Signet, HJCs are not the same shape as my melon, I'm looking at a Fulmer

btw, Fulmer has followed Arais' lead not allowing dealers to sell on the internet

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Über-cold weather gear?

Randy'O, where did you gets your long underoo's?

My polypropylene ones are just about worn out and the elastic in the waste is non-existent.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Über-cold weather gear?

Originally posted by TheIglu
    Randy'O, where did you gets your long underoo's?

My polypropylene ones are just about worn out and the elastic in the waste is non-existent.
    I got them from a discount mail order/junk mail catalogue, can't remeber the name, they were german or czech army surplus IIRC

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Über-cold weather gear?

skiierx: Don't get me started! I've never ridden a snowmobile but I'm pretty keen to take one out for a spin... I don't want to find another way to spend money, though!

stoinkythepig: I'm from Perth (western Australia) but am actually living in mali (west Africa) until December this year, when I'm heading to Maine. I'll be living right on Little Sebago actually, give me a yell the next time you'll be there and I'll buy you a beer!

RandyO: Thanks a bunch for that. It looks like I'll pretty much have to start from scratch: I'll need long johns, a balaclava, a breather guard and an oversuit. Good thing I enjoy spending money At the moment I have Gaerne boots, I've never ridden with them in the extreme cold but I'm guessing if I have decent socks I should be okay. Hopefully. My Gore-Tex pants actually go over my boots, which should keep some of the cold wind out. And don't worry, I like the duct-tape look!

Have you used the Pirellis personally? I remember you said that you were waiting to try the Avons but haven't yet. The bike tune stuff is good info, I wouldn't have thought to trickle-charge the battery overnight (with a battery tender) to make sure it starts in the morning. Good to know!

I'll have a look for the chemical pocket warmers, as well as the lock de-icing stuff you mentioned in the other thread. Two more things I wouldn't have thought of on my own..!

Über-cold weather gear?

Perth eh? Wow. What did you do, look at a globe to figure out the furthest you could possibly live from Perth when you decided to move to Maine? Good luck with the move.

I think the first time you try a snowmobile. you'll give up on riding a bike in the Winter. You will have access to a wonderful trail system in a state that loves snowmobiles and snowmobilers. A used, well maintained, sport sled won't set you back too much money. My firends with them are partial to the two cylinder Ski Doo models. They do seem well made.

Über-cold weather gear?

stoinkythepig: Actually, no, I didn't just take a look at a globe I wanted to get out of Perth, and this job opportunity came up - I work for a drilling company that is based in Perth but does work all over Africa. The reason I'm heading to Maine is that it's where my fiancé is from; Windham is her home town so that's where we'll set up. She lives here in Mali too, as a Peace Corps volunteer. When I toured France/Germany/Switzerland a few months ago on that BMW I took her with me, she had a blast!

Some friends of her family are avid snowmobile-ers, so I'm keener than mustard to give it a shot. I'll check the Uncle Henrys guide for snowmobile prices, I would have thought they'd be a little on the pricey side though. Maybe I can strap a shotgun to the back of one, then go hunting at the same time

Über-cold weather gear?

stoinkythepig: Actually, no, I didn't just take a look at a globe I wanted to get out of Perth, and this job opportunity came up - I work for a drilling company that is based in Perth but does work all over Africa. The reason I'm heading to Maine is that it's where my fiancé is from; Windham is her home town so that's where we'll set up. She lives here in Mali too, as a Peace Corps volunteer. When I toured France/Germany/Switzerland a few months ago on that BMW I took her with me, she had a blast!

Some friends of her family are avid snowmobile-ers, so I'm keener than mustard to give it a shot. I'll check the Uncle Henrys guide for snowmobile prices, I would have thought they'd be a little on the pricey side though. Maybe I can strap a shotgun to the back of one, then go hunting at the same time
    At 23, sounds like you have already lived a full life. Good for you. Don't forget the spotlight to go with the shotgun. Get the sonofabitch whitetail that eats my tulips please.

Über-cold weather gear?

Yeah, I'm getting there! Or trying to. I've actually been to NH once, when we were driving from MA to ME. We stopped at one of those state-run discount liquor stores, and feeling like a complete tool I asked an employee there "Uhh.. do you guys sell beer?". I felt like an even bigger tool when they said "No, you need to go to a gas station for that". Crazy...

And isn't spotlighting illegal?

Über-cold weather gear?

And isn't spotlighting illegal?
    so isn't speeding and wheelies and passing on solid yellow lines (unless yer in Vermont)

I've been running the Pirelli MT60s in the winter for the past 5 years, I have met another irder that runs the Avon extreme rains, the Avons are more expensive, but are also available in a 180/55 for the rear, the Pirellis' you can only get a 160/60 for the rear

you can get electric socks at any hunting/outfitter store, I don't know if gerbings makes socks or not

RandyO
    IBA#9560