Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Beware: Laser speed traps

I have generally ignored my radar detector when it gave me a laser warning. In the past, I had an old unit that gave probably false laser warnings and NEVER saw a cop. Anyway, was heading north on I-95 just a few exits before Georgetown/Rowley, MA and my new Whistler detector gives me a laser warning. Never had heard one from it before, and instinctively let off the gas. A few seconds later, look over at the onramp and sure enough, there was a MA statie clear as day with a big speed gun in hand pointing at traffic. Not sure how long the MSP has used laser, but this is the first time ever that I have been hit and confirmed. Normally, the only band I have seen used and worry about is the K-band.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Last year, once I was painted with laser on 495 near the one of the Lowell exits as I was changing lanes, I crossed the lasers path, and the signal was only momentary, the MSP was parked in the grass adjacent to an exit ramp.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Laser devices are becoming very popular up here lately too. Those bastiches!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I saw a show on Discovery, I think, about lasers. The laser needs to bounce off a flat surface, something like the license plate, to get an accurate reading. It is harder to get a reading on sportcars and sportbikes because of the design. Even sportcars have front liscence plates in Mass. I don't know what they try to bounce the laser off of on a sportbike??

The headlith reflector is what they aim at in front, even thouth it is not flat like a license plate, its concave reflective design, does just as good a job as a flat reflective surface like a plate

it would be very hard for a LEO to get a bike with lazer for that reason, the plate is smaller than a cage, and surfaces are more curved, I would fight any lazer stop in court for sure

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON