Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone bid on a car using Copart?

Anyone bid on a car using Copart?

Mods, feel free to move if is the wrong forum - this could be bike related, I might end up towing my bike with this 4 wheeler

I'm interested in a west coast van that Copart (http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_home_page.html) will auction off in the next few days. I can't find anything similar locally.

The ride in question is old and unpopular so, if I win the auction, I don't expect to have more than $2.5k into it including the shipping and other fees. From the photos the body and interior look decent, the title is listed as Clean (not salvage!) and the vehicle is in Run & Drive condition (which doesn't mean much - it started, ran, went into gear and moved under its own power when it was brought onto the lot. Once it leaves the lot there is no guarantee it will do any of those things). The mileage is low (65k) and, based on some decals it lived as a public transportation van.

So, anyone have any experience with Copart? Any info/advice is much appreciated

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Re: Anyone bid on a car using Copart?

The public cannot buy from them im 99% sure. I deal with them as a salvage vendor for my employer (large insurance company)

You realize they sell salvaged vehicles right

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    The public cannot buy from them im 99% sure. I deal with them as a salvage vendor for my employer (large insurance company)

You realize they sell salvaged vehicles right
    Their website tells me all I have to do is register (a 30 day trial is free, $150 per year) to be eligible to purchase and the vehicle I'm interested in supposedly has a clean title. I don't want to purchase from them but I haven't been able to find a local alternative

Yeah...

Cars at Copart are there for a reason

Keep in mind that the cars are moved with a ?loader? with forks and about 50% of the cars I buy from them are damaged from that.. (broken brake lines, bent suspension arms, etc) and they often have various damaged added after the pictures

The link you posted is just the homepage and I don't know what kind of vehicle it is..
    But the main thing about copart is say they have a 2004 Honda Odyssey and the thing is side swiped or keyed.. Assume the trans is dead due to ins fraud.

Last edited by cdseven95; 06-07-14 at 09:08 PM.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

I know the branch manager in Bellingham yard very well. Give me stock number for what you want to buy and ill have her look it up nand get its history.

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    I know the branch manager in Bellingham yard very well. Give me stock number for what you want to buy and ill have her look it up nand get its history.
    if you can that would be cool - Lot # 20080874

post here or you can email me at mr.jim.v-at-gmail.com, whatever's easier. Owe you a beer at some point

I sold a car through copart. I had a friend who did a lot of business through them and he listed it for me. Was a vintage mini, and it sold quickly. Good experience from my end.

Paul_E_D

Depends on the state. Some, as in Mass, require a registered used auto license to purchase any vehicles from the salvage auction. Copart does sell wholesale vehicles that are undamaged and to the public - again, depends on the state. Not all are wrecks. Other thing to watch out for are the gate fees and other incidentals that you only find out once you're well involved. I, like LXPONY, am in the insurance side and deal with Copart very often and local yards are great to deal with. Good luck.