Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

questions about Gerbings

questions about Gerbings

looking to switch to heated gloves. these insulated jobbers arnt cutting it, my hands are frozen after about 30 mins.

on the gerbings, do you have to buy a seperate harness to connect the gloves to the battery? i see they have a battery harness. i cant find on the site if wiring is provided or if you have to make your own or what???

also any experience with the heated glove liners? id be nice if they fit under my gp techs so i could get some protection again.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tuono

Re: questions about Gerbings

Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    looking to switch to heated gloves. these insulated jobbers arnt cutting it, my hands are frozen after about 30 mins.

on the gerbings, do you have to buy a seperate harness to connect the gloves to the battery? i see they have a battery harness. i cant find on the site if wiring is provided or if you have to make your own or what???

also any experience with the heated glove liners? id be nice if they fit under my gp techs so i could get some protection again.
    If you have the insulated jacket you should be able to hook the gloves to the outlets near the wrists. IF you have the vest I think you need the Y adapter and you plug the gloves into the vest at the bottom OR you can get a seperate controller.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

They come with a battery harness, but not a temp controller or even a on / off switch. I recommend the temp controller so you can adjust the temp you want. The gloves also comes with a long Y splitter to put the wires inside your jacket. If you get the liner you don't need the Y splitter since the wires are in the sleeves.

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

i don't think they sell heated glove liners, just heated gloves.. but i could be wrong.
    the gloves i bought came with a power harness to run from the battery harness to the glove plgs at the wrist cuffinside the jacket. if you buy the heated jacket liner, it comes prewired to plug in the heated gloves.

if the gloves aren't enough heat for you, get the heated jacket liner too. its friggin Utopian.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

i dont have a gerbing jacket or anything else from them, just going to get the gloves or maybe the liners.

so they come with a harness to hook up to the battery and its a good idea to get a temp controller?

ps cerb, they got a heated glove liner on their site. whos the best vendor for this stuff

Last edited by catch2otwo; 10-23-08 at 02:42 PM.
    Tuono

I was at Motomarket this past Saturday and learned a few things. They've got some Gerbings and First Gear in stock, but the newer "G3" Gerbings gear has not arrived yet. I have not yet found out the difference, but it's possibly more than marketing crap and may be a better technology worth seeking out. IOW, MM has last year's Gerbings products. The upside is you can see how they fit and feel.

Gloves: you can get a liner for your current gloves from Gerbings ( just under $100, can't recall exact price but cheaper than full glove) or a full glove from Gerbings, First Gear, Tourmaster and other companies. To me, the Gerbings full glove felt a bit awkward - spider long fingers with tight palm. The First Gear glove felt better, both are in the $150 range.

Gerbings has a lifetime guarantee on their electrics, so theoretically you can send them back and they'll fix or replace. In practice, this could take a while and you'd lose riding time. Most people don't test their heated gear in the summer. I was told that Gerbings is the only manufacturer to offer this service. Not sure if that's the case, but haven't seen anyone else making this offer.

Once you decide on gloves or liner for your gloves, you need to plug 'em in. Simplest/cheapest way is to get a Y harness to put inside your riding jacket sleeves and plug that into a power adapter for your bike. You can do a direct battery fused SAE style connector or a lighter adapter.

If you don't want to run on full toast all the time, you'll need a switch. Switches usually offer hi/lo/off, but the downside is they use a resistor so you're not saving wattage on the low setting.

Then there's a variable heat adjuster, usually called a temp troller (short for controller I suppose). Modern controllers use a variable pulse width, which cycles your heating elements on and off at least once a second. It's much more efficient than a variable resistor, but keep in mind that while you can set and forget the temperature of the glove, it's not a thermostat and will not compensate for the outside air temperature changing. IOW, the setting that worked in the morning may change as the day warms up.

These temp-trollers are about $60 and up for single, $90 and up for dual. The styles are "floating", like in your pocket or strapped/velcroed to the outside of your jacket or leg, and "installed", which you'd place somewhere on your dash.

Someone in the store advised me to not make the mistake he did and go for the dual troller the first time around. Makes sense, for $30 more you can control gloves and a jacket.

There are jackets, jacket liners and vests. The jacket liner seems to be the sweet spot, where you use whatever jacket you've already got over it and the liner is pre-wired through the sleeves for your gloves. There's a junction box located where you'd find an inside pocket, and you can wire up your dual-troller and slip it in your jacket pocket, power goes to liner from your adapter under the seat.

I suggest taking a trip to MM to take a look. It all makes a lot more sense when you play with the stuff.

My latest mantra for MA cage drivers
    -- "The rocks in your brain are the gravel in my path" --

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I was at Motomarket this past Saturday and learned a few things. They've got some Gerbings and First Gear in stock, but the newer "G3" Gerbings gear has not arrived yet. I have not yet found out the difference, but it's possibly more than marketing crap and may be a better technology worth seeking out. IOW, MM has last year's Gerbings products. The upside is you can see how they fit and feel.

Gloves: you can get a liner for your current gloves from Gerbings ( just under $100, can't recall exact price but cheaper than full glove) or a full glove from Gerbings, First Gear, Tourmaster and other companies. To me, the Gerbings full glove felt a bit awkward - spider long fingers with tight palm. The First Gear glove felt better, both are in the $150 range.

Gerbings has a lifetime guarantee on their electrics, so theoretically you can send them back and they'll fix or replace. In practice, this could take a while and you'd lose riding time. Most people don't test their heated gear in the summer. I was told that Gerbings is the only manufacturer to offer this service. Not sure if that's the case, but haven't seen anyone else making this offer.

Once you decide on gloves or liner for your gloves, you need to plug 'em in. Simplest/cheapest way is to get a Y harness to put inside your riding jacket sleeves and plug that into a power adapter for your bike. You can do a direct battery fused SAE style connector or a lighter adapter.

If you don't want to run on full toast all the time, you'll need a switch. Switches usually offer hi/lo/off, but the downside is they use a resistor so you're not saving wattage on the low setting.

Then there's a variable heat adjuster, usually called a temp troller (short for controller I suppose). Modern controllers use a variable pulse width, which cycles your heating elements on and off at least once a second. It's much more efficient than a variable resistor, but keep in mind that while you can set and forget the temperature of the glove, it's not a thermostat and will not compensate for the outside air temperature changing. IOW, the setting that worked in the morning may change as the day warms up.

These temp-trollers are about $60 and up for single, $90 and up for dual. The styles are "floating", like in your pocket or strapped/velcroed to the outside of your jacket or leg, and "installed", which you'd place somewhere on your dash.

Someone in the store advised me to not make the mistake he did and go for the dual troller the first time around. Makes sense, for $30 more you can control gloves and a jacket.

There are jackets, jacket liners and vests. The jacket liner seems to be the sweet spot, where you use whatever jacket you've already got over it and the liner is pre-wired through the sleeves for your gloves. There's a junction box located where you'd find an inside pocket, and you can wire up your dual-troller and slip it in your jacket pocket, power goes to liner from your adapter under the seat.

I suggest taking a trip to MM to take a look. It all makes a lot more sense when you play with the stuff.
    Excellent write up Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    Excellent write up Dan
    Thanks Doug. Last Friday I would have been clueless.

The really interesting thing is I've looked online for reviews at WebBikeWorld and other places. I was not able to grok this stuff until I put my hands on the stuff. Most of the information is about the pieces, not how and where they might come together.

And I will add one more bit of info - if you're good with a needle & thread, you can make heated gear yourself.
    ADVrider - View Single Post - Building electric clothing

The G3's are thinner than the traditional gloves. They also have a gel palm. Much better feel on the controls.

Running just gloves (because you have to run the harness through your jacket) can be awkward, unless you sew the harness into you're riding jacket.

I agree with Danno, the Jacket Liner is the way to go, but make sure it fits properly (think "turtleneck with a zipper"), and definitely get a heat troller. I've used my Jacket under a mesh jacket in sub-30 degree temps and have still never had the thing on high. It's really that warm. Plus, with the liner heating your core, the body doesn't have to work as hard to heat your hands, so they'll stay warmer as well.

We (Twisted Throttle) have stock on both of the glove models (traditional and G3) as well as most sizes of glove liners and jacket liners. A few vests in stock as well. I definitely agree that you should play with the stuff first and make sure they're fitting properly.

Take a ride down to the shop in Peace Dale and smack Dereck for me (sorry bud ) and they'll help you get fitted up.

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

Thanks Doug. Last Friday I would have been clueless.

The really interesting thing is I've looked online for reviews at WebBikeWorld and other places. I was not able to grok this stuff until I put my hands on the stuff. Most of the information is about the pieces, not how and where they might come together.

And I will add one more bit of info - if you're good with a needle & thread, you can make heated gear yourself.
    ADVrider - View Single Post - Building electric clothing
    now i want to make my own !!

Another option, for those that use a tankbag, is to electrify it.

So my tankbag plugs into my battery with one connector, and then inside my tankbag I have multiple plugs (cellphone charger, MP3 charger, heated gear, etc).

Powerlet Products

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

maybe i need to physically look at this stuff, but how come if im just getting gloves, the wires need to be run into the jacket? is it just so the wires aren't dangling or is there another reason?

dan, thanks for the writeup, very informative. question... the y harness you mentioned. im assuming that is two pig tails to plug into the gloves, then the go into one wire that hooks up to the harness coming off the battery? do they sell that too or do i have to make/buy it somewhere else? my mind jumbles when electricity is involved... thanks for everyones replies.

Tuono

Gerbings has a lifetime guarantee on their electrics, so theoretically you can send them back and they'll fix or replace. In practice, this could take a while and you'd lose riding time.
    Gerbing's stands behind their product 100%.

I would like to note that I had a defect in one of my gloves last winter, they asked I return the pair and about a week later I got a brand new replacement pair....only cost to me was shipping the old gloves out.

Gerbings sells glove liners Heated Clothing Outlet - Huge Discounts on Heated Clothing! like I said they close ( HEATEDCLOTHINGOUTLET.COM IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED

your going too need a controler they come with the wiring

If never tryed liners but I love my gloves

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

I just went with the warm n' safe setup. Dual controller, jacket liner and ultimate gloves. The ultimate gloves seem to be better than the gerbings. Not only are they thinner in the palm for better feel, but they also have carbon knuckle protectors. I used the setup the other day on the covered bridges ride, left my house at 31 degrees and only needed to run them at about half power on the controller. Very warm.

2018 Aprilia Touno Factory
    2018 Ducati Desert Sled
    2017 Honda Grom (lot's of Mods)
    2016 KTM 300 XC-W, 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

..hoping someone will try stuff from here home

Specially these....

gear

...for short rides might be cool! uh....WARM

Last edited by DucDave; 10-24-08 at 06:51 AM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

k wheres the best place to buy gerbing. i see the place beet posted is closed till november, and google only returns a couple places. i think i might give these liners a try

Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post
    Take a ride down to the shop in Peace Dale and smack Dereck for me (sorry bud ) and they'll help you get fitted up.
    Ha Ha! Thanks Brian! But seriously, if anyone is ever interested in checking the stuff out, getting sized, and help with wiring feel free to stop down here at the shop. We are here from 9-5 Mon-Fri and more than happy to help out. If you can't make it down feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email.

Last edited by chappy; 10-24-08 at 10:29 AM.
    '01 ZRX1200R
    '77 RD400 Cafe Racer
    '05 Kawasaki KX250F
    '90 Jeep XJ with too many mods

For what it's worth, I don't use a controller with my gloves now.

When I had the Goldwing, I rigged up dual controllers to regulate me and the passenger... we had full heated suits... and it was nice. I left mine no higher than midway, while Renee always wanted hers maxed out. (I used to screw with her and lower it when she wasn't looking just to see if she could really tell. Within 5 minutes I would get the slap across the back!

Anyway, on my KLR650 I just run the gloves into my tankbag direct and it's passable. On rare instances I wish for a in between setting on the gloves, but turning them on/off is pretty easy.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

I'm thinkin about getting a pair of heated gloves.
    For you guys that use them. How's the feel with them? Are they pretty thick in the palm or are they comfortable to ride with?

There's many different ones, so buy according to what's most important to you.

When I was racing, I would use the thinnest ones, and buy them on the tighter side, to give maximum feel. I used them a few years for practice and the first race of the year. (we used to start earlier in the year...one year we had snow overnight)

Anyway, now that I just use them for street riding, I went with a slightly bulkier pair that are more comfy for cruising.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    There's many different ones, so buy according to what's most important to you.

When I was racing, I would use the thinnest ones, and buy them on the tighter side, to give maximum feel. I used them a few years for practice and the first race of the year. (we used to start earlier in the year...one year we had snow overnight)

Anyway, now that I just use them for street riding, I went with a slightly bulkier pair that are more comfy for cruising.
    Thanks for the info

k wheres the best place to buy gerbing. i see the place beet posted is closed till november, and google only returns a couple places. i think i might give these liners a try

I bought my Jacket liner @ Venco Wings , they sell online, but they are close to me, (only a few miles from the track on Rte 129 in Loudon) prices are competitive with most other online sources, its a small husband/wife operation, small store, & service that specializes in Gold Wings maintenance/repair/farkleing

I bought my gloves at MM one cold open house day when my grips were not enuf, could have got the gloves $30 cheaper at Venco

I have to give Venco a big thumbs up for service, the heat-troller I originally got was one of the bad ones, quick exchange, they also have all kinds of pigtail adaptors in stock SAE/coaxial/BMW etc.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

maybe i need to physically look at this stuff, but how come if im just getting gloves, the wires need to be run into the jacket? is it just so the wires aren't dangling or is there another reason?

dan, thanks for the writeup, very informative. question... the y harness you mentioned. im assuming that is two pig tails to plug into the gloves, then the go into one wire that hooks up to the harness coming off the battery? do they sell that too or do i have to make/buy it somewhere else? my mind jumbles when electricity is involved... thanks for everyones replies.
    Some brands will include wiring, controller or switch, but you will probably have to purchase the Y adapter - it's all of $10.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ..hoping someone will try stuff from here home

Specially these....

gear

...for short rides might be cool! uh....WARM
    Dave, I'd love to try the 12v stuff, but there's no obvious way to purchase or find out who sells the gear.. DOH!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast