Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bike for 4'5" rider?

Re: Bike for 4'5" rider?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Thanks jro. I'll mention it to her for sure. Thing is she wants to get involved in something competitive at some point, which kinda kills the cruiser route. It's my guess she'll end up racing pit bikes or something since she won't really fit on anything she could run @ Loudon, so the NSR actually seems like the winner at this point. Her call though, I'm going to have her read this whole thread.
    eh we probably shouldn't write her off so fast, lots of tiny girls can pull off a sportbike. But if she's totally green to riding its gonna be a bit before she's get competitive...I highly recommend she gets something like the rebel to get all controls/shifting/etc down first. A great intro to racing might be the screaming 50cc class with the USCRA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

For competition, I think you're on the right trail with ysr50/pitbike stuff to start. Lots of little kids race the RS125, but it's no starter bike...

Paul_E_D

Thanks jro. I'll mention it to her for sure. Thing is she wants to get involved in something competitive at some point, which kinda kills the cruiser route. It's my guess she'll end up racing pit bikes or something since she won't really fit on anything she could run @ Loudon, so the NSR actually seems like the winner at this point. Her call though, I'm going to have her read this whole thread.
    She could always start on a cruiser-type. Then when she is more comfortable, having something that sits a bit higher wouldn't be as much of an issue, as long as she could get toes down. moving the bike around while on it will be hard for her no matter what she gets, but the funny thing about bike is, once it's aimed the way you want it to go, you don't need to have both feet flat on the ground to move it, and they can be aimed fairly easily while walking around next to it. unless you're going uphill. then it sure does help.

edit to add: since i can pretty well guess that the majority of us have not known someone 4'5" since we were in elementary school, do you know what her inseam is? that might help us help her.

Last edited by mzdagrl; 06-18-09 at 01:31 PM.
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I went through this with my wife that is 4'11". Started her out with a Honda VLX600 that I lowered. We were going to start with the Rebel 250 but because of the way the battery box is mounted right by the seat it was difficult for her to reach the ground on it. Even though they have a low seat height they are wide at the seat also. When she was ready to move on to a sport bike we looked at the Buel Blast. She could reach no problem on it. the only thing she didn't like about it was the vibration from it since it is a single. Ended up finding a CB-1 that I had Works make a custom shock for to get that low enough for her to use.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catach View Post
    get the ysr50 for her to learn then get her a step stool and an EX500 trackbike, launches might be awkward though...
    Heh… I have an EX500 on the track. I’m sure she would not be able to touch the ground until the bike was leaned enough that she could no longer hold it up. She’d crash @ pre-grid.

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    eh we probably shouldn't write her off so fast, lots of tiny girls can pull off a sportbike. But if she's totally green to riding its gonna be a bit before she's get competitive...I highly recommend she gets something like the rebel to get all controls/shifting/etc down first. A great intro to racing might be the screaming 50cc class with the USCRA
    Good call, and I’ll definitely discuss it with her. I already told her unless she rides a ton she should probably forget about racing this season, since she should be very comfortable with the controls and basic operation of the bike before trying to do race school.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    For competition, I think you're on the right trail with ysr50/pitbike stuff to start. Lots of little kids race the RS125, but it's no starter bike...
    Cool, good to know. I think I was thinking of that more because I’d like to ride one

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    She could always start on a cruiser-type. Then when she is more comfortable, having something that sits a bit higher wouldn't be as much of an issue, as long as she could get toes down. moving the bike around while on it will be hard for her no matter what she gets, but the funny thing about bike is, once it's aimed the way you want it to go, you don't need to have both feet flat on the ground to move it, and they can be aimed fairly easily while walking around next to it. unless you're going uphill. then it sure does help.

edit to add: since i can pretty well guess that the majority of us have not known someone 4'5" since we were in elementary school, do you know what her inseam is? that might help us help her.
    Yeah, unless she wants a YSR50 I think that’s the route she’s going to end up having to go. Her call though really, I’m just trying to help her out since she asked me as one of her only friends that’s into bikes, and her only friend that’s ever been to the track. It’s sort of funny, her primary interest in starting riding seems to be racing. Never met anyone that went about it that way before.
    Oh, and no idea on her inseam. I asked her, she said she doesn’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    I went through this with my wife that is 4'11". Started her out with a Honda VLX600 that I lowered. We were going to start with the Rebel 250 but because of the way the battery box is mounted right by the seat it was difficult for her to reach the ground on it. Even though they have a low seat height they are wide at the seat also. When she was ready to move on to a sport bike we looked at the Buel Blast. She could reach no problem on it. the only thing she didn't like about it was the vibration from it since it is a single. Ended up finding a CB-1 that I had Works make a custom shock for to get that low enough for her to use.
    Damn, if your 4’11” wife had issues with the Rebel my friend has no chance. Buell Blast may be an option, I forgot all about that bike.

I just had another thought as well. She won’t fit on any of the MSF bikes. That means she’s going to have to learn to ride from me?! There’s a scary thought…

Regardless of whether or not she wants a sport bike, starting on a Rebel (or the like) would be my vote. It's a light bike, incredibly low, and unintimidating.

Last edited by schleppy; 06-18-09 at 01:43 PM.

4' 5"? She has to have a 24" inseam. I don't think anyting other then a pocket bike would fit her.

Yellow light, green light, heart stands still...

Some Buel dealers offer a MSF on Buels. I know Merrideth HD/Buel does. They also sell off there MSF course bike at the end of the year. We were thinking of buying one if the price was right before I got the CB-1.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

Dani Pedrosa is like 4'5" right, he does just fine on his bike.

Just got to a dealership and sit on a bunch of bike, see what fits. Rebel, Blast, Virago all seem pretty good options though.

Steve
    Work Hard---Play Harder

Stop talking to middle school girls

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Hm... an alternative plan, street out Kurlon's "A" mini. All set up, 100MPH w/ the right sprocket... it'd be a mini 'tard about as bad ass as they come, and it'd fit her.

(rich, she's 28)

Could always try building a supermoto out of a Yamaha TTR125 or something, if she really doesn't want to go for a cruiser.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

When I was in college there was a super hotty who was about that big
    Every element greatly proportioned but just smaller.

If only you could legalize a 125 Road Racer

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

If she wants to race get her set up to do the Masters of Mini. The final round is at Cycles 128 in November - sick road course with a jump. Come by with your minis and duke it out... great fun.

It would be a great starting point for her and they have lots of different classes.

KP

Girls DO ride bikes :) gixxersixxer's Avatar

Hmm is she tiny like weight wise too? Because if she can handle her own I know a lot of girls that have to do that bike halfway to the side with one foot on the break and the other on the ground route. And the Ninja 250 is going to be way too high for her. The 08 250 was my first bike and I am 5'2 and I didn't flat foot it, not even close!

2010 tC
    no bike

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Could always try building a supermoto out of a Yamaha TTR125 or something, if she really doesn't want to go for a cruiser.

--mark
    I don't see her wanting to or being able to put in the time/$ to build something. I could see her maybe buying a plated mini motard

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    If she wants to race get her set up to do the Masters of Mini. The final round is at Cycles 128 in November - sick road course with a jump. Come by with your minis and duke it out... great fun.

It would be a great starting point for her and they have lots of different classes.

KP
    Sounds like a blast. She should get a mini so I can borrow it and ride this

Quote Originally Posted by gixxersixxer View Post
    Hmm is she tiny like weight wise too? Because if she can handle her own I know a lot of girls that have to do that bike halfway to the side with one foot on the break and the other on the ground route. And the Ninja 250 is going to be way too high for her. The 08 250 was my first bike and I am 5'2 and I didn't flat foot it, not even close!
    No, she's not tiny, just short. I figure anything she gets she'll have to lean and only touch one foot, goal is to be able to get that foot down before the bike is leaned so far she can't hold it and kaboom...

I'll pass your offer along.

Much appreciated...

Her reply: "Oh really now". Followed shortly after with "looks like the rain has started". So she's not exactly jumping up and down, but she didn't say no either...

Everybody to the limit!

The rain has started, but is the chicken in the roost?

Nice thing about the RS125 chassis... lots of things fit in them... : )

What about something like a Derbi 50cc or 70cc 'scooter'? They look like sport bikes, but have small two strokes with 5 or 6 speed gearboxes and clutches, are very light, and low to the ground? Might be worth going to Canada to look as well, they get stuff like the CBR150 that we don't.

crf50, stunted out of course...

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Quote Originally Posted by klepsta View Post
    Dani Pedrosa is like 4'5" right, he does just fine on his bike.

Just got to a dealership and sit on a bunch of bike, see what fits. Rebel, Blast, Virago all seem pretty good options though.
    LOL he's 5-2

Yellow light, green light, heart stands still...

what about the ninja 250?

Carl

07 Blue Ninja 650R (EX650)

update: 36C

update #2: She loves JRO and wants to kiss her. This could get interesting. Alex?

Last edited by "Dangerous" Dan K; 06-18-09 at 08:17 PM.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    She can ride me instead. I'm just the right size.
    Yeah, 4.5 inches, erect.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast