Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike for 7-8yo boy?

Bike for 7-8yo boy?

My son is dying to get a motorcycle. His current desire is to purchase a KTM dirt bike he saw on youtube. He says KTM stands for "Kids Toys that Moms don't like." He already has riding gear.

I've seen kids riding around in the pits at Loudon, and we looked at some Bettencourt a while back. He's relatively tall for a 7yo and will be taller still next year.

He'd like to get a dirt bike, but since we live in Boston, dirt is kind of scarce. I'm thinking that I should buy him something really slow, perhaps a minibike? Those of you responsible for the care and feeding of 7yo boys know there's a reason we don't let them vote....

Suggestions? I'm inclined to let him pine away until age 10, but he's defeating my strategems. Told him he needed good grades last week and he's been knocking out 90's and 100's on all his tests since - up from 70's.

I'm in no rush but this is the time of year people get rid of these toys so to buy one and put it away until spring might work.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Bike for 7-8yo boy?

busa

Quote Originally Posted by dodge1478 View Post
    busa
    Nah, he's too mature.....

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Something small w/ tard tires, like a little CRF? The normal reason a minibike or scooter trumps these things to me is single speed, they can be stickered and ridden on the street. Since he's too young to have a license anyway I'm thinking the tarded route.

KTM 65, KX65, KLX 110 (except for height), TTR/DRZ/KLX 125, CRF/XR100.

Lifer

My neighbor's son is 10, and he has a Yamaha TTR-90. It is a neat bike, but he is already looking for something bigger, with more performance. The small 4 strokes, like the TTR, are very quiet, and this kid can ride around his house for hours without upsetting any of the neighbors. I am certain that he would not be able to do that with a KTM 65, or a Cobra.
    This is important if you live in Boston, where a dirt bike is like a fish out of water.

You know, Dana, you're going to have to get a dirtbike too. Just make sure its plated. Kitt pretty much closed this thread. Go by teds shop and look at that Xr he's got. It may seem big now, but I had one at 10, and I was a peanut. It's a great learner that'll keep him entertained for a while anyways.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    You know, Dana, you're going to have to get a dirtbike too. Just make sure its plated. Kitt pretty much closed this thread. Go by teds shop and look at that Xr he's got. It may seem big now, but I had one at 10, and I was a peanut. It's a great learner that'll keep him entertained for a while anyways.
    I was reluctant to look at anything with an "R" in it for his first bike. Big difference between 10 and 7 1/2.

There are a couple of Honda Z50's, a KLX110,Honda TTR 50, Yamaha PW 50, and Suzuki JR50 for sale locally on CL, which seem to be aimed at this size of new rider?

Are there any dealers who have kid-sized training courses?

Last edited by Garandman; 10-21-10 at 01:04 PM.

Training wheels has a dirt course. The xr is on par with the klx. It's the cr from Honda you should be leery of. The xr is the simple trail bike. If he's a big kid, the z50, pw, jr, and whatnot will be too small. So, an xr80 might be perfect. About the same size as a klx, and can be had for way less $. Ask Clayton if he still has his.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

So the bike at Duncan Moto is fairly tame, or has it been breathed upon?

I've been checking into it and most advise to get a bike with a clutch and shifterm and just have them ignore the additional gears to start.

It's stock to my best guess. If it's too big, contact theiglu. He's got the next size down.

I agree to have em start with the clutch. Allow him to ride it in first till he gets the hang of it, progress from there.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

CRF 50 once he gets bigger 88 to 120cc....just build it up

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    So the bike at Duncan Moto is fairly tame, or has it been breathed upon?

I've been checking into it and most advise to get a bike with a clutch and shifterm and just have them ignore the additional gears to start.
    The bike that Duncan moto has would be perfect. I started off on the same bike when I was 9. Do not be afraid of the R...this bike is very tame and will serve as a first bike very well.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

My little man has only just turned one but when he is big enough I am going to get him this -

Small, light and super quiet. I think the trials style bike will give him really strong fundamental skills as you can't sit too much.

Lifer

Where you live is going to make it tough for him to enjoy anything you get without loading it on a trailer. Can he ride a bicycle without training wheels yet? If he can do that - a motorcycle should be no problem.

I'd lean towards one of the smaller dirtbikes with a real clutch and gears. As for seat height - get something that will last for a few years. If the seat height is a little too high in the showroom - you can collapse the suspension and slide the forks up so he can touch flat foot while he's learning the basics.

You can control the power by putting a piece of PVC tubing in the top of the carb to keep the slide from going too high. As he gets better - the throttle stop gets shorter.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    My little man has only just turned one but when he is big enough I am going to get him this -
    Small, light and super quiet. I think the trials style bike will give him really strong fundamental skills as you can't sit too much.
    Somebody else made that recommendation. $1150 for the 24v version, not sure what the 36v upgrade is.
    http://www.osetbikes.com/Pages/Products/Bikes1.html

I have an electric bicycle and it's pretty entertaining.

Hey if you want to drive down to Taunton with your kid I have a few bikes that he can try out for size. Even have a pit couple miles down the road.

2003 Suzuki JR50
    1983 Honda CR60
    2003 Honda XR100

My XR is pretty much the same as the one at DuncanMoto.

Send me an email if interested.

04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

That's awesome, thanks.

I'm trying to reconcile the seat height with his. I think he has a 24" inseam. Not sure how that translates into seat height. My inseam is 32, a V-Strom with touring seat is 35", but I can flat foot it no problem.

My inseam is 32, a V-Strom with touring seat is 35", but I can flat foot it no problem.
    that's because the V-stom doesn't have 35" seat height, more like 33.1, stock Wee seat height is only 32.3

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    that's because the V-stom doesn't have 35" seat height, more like 33.1, stock Wee seat height is only 32.3
    I have the Tall Touring Saddle, which is 40mm higher. So at "only" 33.8, it still substantially exceeds my inseam. I'm looking for the relationship between the two, if there is one. Have any kids that size?

My son started at 4 on a Z50, then to a KLX110, then TTR125 and has had about half a dozen others since then, currently riding a KX100. The KLX / DRZ 110 is a great starting point, automatic gearbox and pretty tame power but reliable and durable with decent enough suspension and brakes for a youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    My son started at 4 on a Z50, then to a KLX110, then TTR125 and has had about half a dozen others since then, currently riding a KX100. The KLX / DRZ 110 is a great starting point, automatic gearbox and pretty tame power but reliable and durable with decent enough suspension and brakes for a youngster.
    The thing about the 110's is that they do not have a clutch. It is much better IMO to get a first bike that has a clutch.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

That depends on the size of the kids hands, when my son started riding, his hands were not big enough to pull in a clutch, also, the bikes with clutches tend to be physically bigger (like the TTR125) or pretty powerful (Like the KX65 or 80.)
    If you can afford the step, in my opinion, get the automatic, let the kid gain confidence then introduce the clutch bikes. My son learned to use the clutch within an hour but the confidence he gained on the semi automatics was invaluable!

Somebody else made that recommendation. $1150 for the 24v version, not sure what the 36v upgrade is.
    http://www.osetbikes.com/Pages/Products/Bikes1.html

I have an electric bicycle and it's pretty entertaining.
    Are you IN boston or on the edge in the burbs? I'd personally go with the oset unless you want to load up and trailer him every weekend. The Oset is something he can play with forever, super quiet and would be a ton of fun in the city.

I had the chance to ride a drz400 through boston a couple weeks ago. I am amazed I still am allowed on the road, that city is awesome.

Last edited by drinkingmymilk; 10-25-10 at 07:04 PM.

We live in South Boston.

I have an electric bicycle which is really handy. Problem with a store-bought electric is that it can't go over 20mph or it becomes a vehicle. I think that's why they sell them as 24v. My bike is 48v.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast