Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My new(to me) bike

My new(to me) bike

After 5 years out of the saddle, I finally picked up a new bike. Always wanted a vtwin but didn't have the "hassle" of a Ducati, so I did the next best thing, I bought an RC! Been eyeing the RC for the last few years and finally pulled the trigger when the moons and the planets all aligned. With the help of RVTjonny, I picked up this 2-owner, 2002 SP2 with the right mods. She has a Leo Vince slip-on, and a PC3USB, and some new tires. I wasn't looking for anything more modified than this, and plan on keeping it like this the next few years other than replacing wear and tear items with upgraded ones, such as sprockets, tires etc. Also will probably do the free mods. She already has new Michelin Pures when I bought her.

The previous owners babied her and never let her go in the rain, but during todays first real ride it started down pouring so both her and I were soaked! I think I have some real cleaning up to do when the weather turns nicer

For the past month I've been collecting gear. I already had a Rev It jacket. Bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs, Held Evo Thrux, and an AGV K3. I'll be looking for a pair of leather pants, or a full suit as time goes on, probaby from a close out.

I had a CBR600 before, and after 2 seasons, logged about 5000 miles on it. But this bike is a complete beast. I haven't revved her past 7k yet and it's plenty fast. I don't think I'll ever be able to make use of the power. I'll be finishing up my MSF next week. Super excited about it.

My new(to me) bike-rc51-moto-market-jpgMy new(to me) bike-rc51-moto-market-2-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SwiftTone; 08-10-12 at 05:39 PM. Reason: additional content
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Another Ducati snob #1 masshole's Avatar

Re: My new(to me) bike

Congrats man. Always loved RC51's. Now get some miles under your belt and we'll hook up sometime soon.

Panigale 1199S

Thanks man! Rode through Burlington today actually.

PS: Can someone tell me if my front tires are on backwards?

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

The michelins look like they are backwards all the time. There's a direction arrow on the sidewall.

No need to go over 7k on the revs 5k and beyond is surreal on those bikes-i used to feel like everything was playing in slow motion on mine at those revs in the twisties.

Congrats, get some time on it and meet up with us for a late summer or fall run, I know the Vtwin ride was a bit too soon for ya, understandable.

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

This bike is a gem, Its getting harder to find a clean let alone stock RC. when we walked up the driveway and I seen the OE fender uncut I was shocked.
    then the 3 inch strips on the tires and after talking with the guy for about 20 seconds knew that babied it and didnt really know to much about them.
    I told him I had a 06 and looked at me like I had 2 heads, and says that he thought that stopped making them in 05? (Not quite buddy....)

Anyway, Good luck with it, and be safe out there Bro. We will get up next season when my piggy back on the road.

2006 RC51/RVT1000R - 1993 Yamaha TW200
    Past. 2000 RC51/RVT1000R *1308 - 1989 CBR600F1 'Hurricane"

I love the RC51, had a 2003 model for about 6 seasons...

"I shoulda never sold that one..."

Thanks guys.

Did some riding today after giving it a wash. Then checked the tire pressure. It was it 28 front, 36 rear . Went for a ride after and it felt so much better! Question though, even if it has non-factory tires, should I still use the factory spec tire pressure? What if it's a 190 instead of a 180 width? Also, my horn stopped working after I washed it. Guessing some water got in there.

I'm getting more comfortable with it, especially leaning it over a bit. Been working on my body position and it makes a world of a difference. I'm really utilizing the torque at 4-5000 rpm to power it out of the corner.

Can't wait for a group ride

The tire has recommended tire pressure written on the side wall

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

Lifer
    Congratulations! That looks like a well kept beauty. I am with you about only tasteful mods! I just picked up an old beat up superhawk. Love the engine!

Congrats and safe rides.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmass View Post
    No pressure on the sidewalls. I heard these are very sensitive to tire pressure as the rubber is thin from losing 2lbs over conventional tires. There are a wide range of tire pressures posted on the internet and everyone seems to be saying somethng different.

I run Michelin POWER 2 CT and says 42 psi. max. I put about 38psi when the tires are cold to allow for expansion

2006 RC51/RVT1000R - 1993 Yamaha TW200
    Past. 2000 RC51/RVT1000R *1308 - 1989 CBR600F1 'Hurricane"

Lifer

Use the cold tire pressures recommended by Honda, should be printed on a sticker on the bike and definitely in the owner's manual.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Use the cold tire pressures recommended by Honda, should be printed on a sticker on the bike and definitely in the owner's manual.
    Doesn't that apply only to the OEM tires?

Hyper

Quote Originally Posted by jbmass View Post
    no, it only has the safe MAX pressure for the tire, which is not the recommended pressure for any bike I've seen on this earth.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Lifer

I'm not going to debate tire pressure. All manufacturers specify the recommended pressure for tires on each model.

On my VFR, it is 36F 42R. I suppose that some change might be warranted if I mad emajor suspension changes or put on tires that were very different in purpose from the OEM tires, but otherwise, I assume their engineers know better than me.

AFAIK, the pressures printed on the sidewall are maximums.

For street riding under normal conditions, go with the mfg.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I'm not going to debate tire pressure. All manufacturers specify the recommended pressure for tires on each model.

On my VFR, it is 36F 42R. I suppose that some change might be warranted if I mad emajor suspension changes or put on tires that were very different in purpose from the OEM tires, but otherwise, I assume their engineers know better than me.

AFAIK, the pressures printed on the sidewall are maximums.

For street riding under normal conditions, go with the mfg.
    LOL, you're right, tire pressure discussions = motor oil discussions
    I was thinking to myself, with the evolution of tires a 10 year old bike's recommended pressures might be a bit outdated, based on whatever tires they were shipped with at the time of assembly? Wasn't there a thread somewhere here that had a link from a website that reviewed a variety of tires and had recommended pressures for street and track?

Hyper

Different tires and riding styles will dictate pressure. That said, I always ran 36f 42r with Michelin Pilot Powers on my RC51. I did run a 190, it was fine.