Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New Bike

Lifer

Re: New Bike

I think that Touratech and Altrider make some pretty nice ones as well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Lifer

Now I remember why I don't have a bash plate again. Man, that's a lot of dough!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The top pic is the factory option?
    I dig.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Yes, the top pic is factory stock, with no accessories. Yes, the prices on some of these accessories is getting out of hand. The matching OEM top case, plate and hardware cost *$700*!...and that was with a $90 discount! I have bought entire motorcycles for less than that....
    Overall, the MSRP on this bike is $9,799. My salesman offered it to me for 8,999, including the $200 discount that Suzuki is offering on this model now. The top case added another $700, making the total at $9,699. The 2013 model is at $9,999, with no discount offered.
    For comparison, the standard 2012 DL-650 (they had one) is at $8,299 (minus the same $200 discount), 2013 at $8,499.
    I hope that I do not regret not buying the KTM 990 SM-T. I really liked that bike, even though it was at $13,999. It was much taller, and had less weather protection. The real tipping point was that I just have never gotten along well with *any* KTM I have ever owned. They always feel coarse and crude, to me, and I have always preferred the Japanese counterparts. The SM-T also had fairly intense valve adjustment intervals.
    I did not get to see an actual Hyperstrada, but they come in at $13,295, I think. I like the way they look, and they now have valve inspection intervals at 18K. Not being able to see one kind of knocked it right out of contention, I guess.
    I was even considering a big BMW GS, but then I figured that they were so expensive, and there was no way that I was going to spring for a whale foreskin riding suit...

Lifer

Good to know, Randy! I do not intend on adding any significant electrical load, as my wife and I are pretty much fair weather riders, only. I might spring for some heated grips, if there is a factory option. I have read that the spring rates on the "Glee" have been firmed up, compared to the "Wee", so, hopefully, the suspension is sufficient. If not, a set of RT emulators or Intiminators are fairly inexpensive, and easy to install. The rear shock, well, maybe I will end up installing a Gold Valve.
    Funny thing about the Tenere,...I couldn't find one. I really started thinking about weight, and what I really *needed*. I have only a 3 mile commute to work, and, having owned a heavy 885 Triumph T-Bird before, I knew how having a heavy bike can be a strong deterrent to wheeling it out of the garage for such a short ride. I really considered a whole bunch of factors in selecting this bike, not only purchase price. At one point, I *almost* said "screw it", and I was going to spring for a Mulitstrada SG. Lots of dough, but no bike more superior, in terms of comfort and excitement. To tell the truth, I was kind of scared to commit to a Ducati or a BMW, just because of "stories" I have read or heard about maintenance nightmares and costs. I know that is somewhat irrational, but people are people.
    In the end, the little 650 should do what I need it to do, and I won't break the bank if it doesn't. I do not ride fast (on the street).
    I am now searching for the *perfect* hard core dual sport. The KTM 350EXC has few competitors. I am looking for something that is street legal, out of the box, light weight, and that has a 6 speed transmission. Right now, only the KTM's and the Beta's check all of those boxes. Husabergs big 570 is gone this year, and as the Husky thread indicates, their future is in question. I am flip flopping on displacement, now. Usually, I like small motors for the woods, as most of my riding is done on gnarly goat trails. The KDX 200 I recently sold was almost perfect, except for the seat that curved sharply upwards in the front., and the 2-stroke motor was not happy on pavement, when geared low enough for the tight woods. Maybe I can find an old Hercules 7 speed....

there's enuf juice for grips, heated jacket liner and electronics like GPS & radar

but not enuf to add heat for yer pillon or aux lighting along with heat, riders do things like unplug one headlight to gain a few watts here and there

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I've never run out of power. Headlights are magical stock on my Wee, I find no need for auxiliary lights, especially now that MM is closed and I have nowhere to park for showing them off.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    if I could afford a new bike right now it would be traded, yep, I've had stator issues, but again, that is not the electrical issue I speak, I think that 400w with maybe 175w available for accessories is weak for something that is marketed as an adventure bike

and dontcha think 30% failure is a serious issue remember, some of those 30% including myself have had multiple stator issues
    That's why I'm surprised you bought it in the first place, since this was well known, as were the work-arounds. A harness to make one headlamp switchable is $15, for example. Do you have any idea how many times you've posted your complaint?

Yup, 30% failure of the DL1000 sucks, another reason they suck and one of the many reasons why the DL650 outsells it and resale value sucks. What, exactly, does the DL1000 do for you that another bike would not? The Super Tenere' has a trade-in special going on now...... Hopefully they will have remedied the rough running, poor gearing, and bargain basement suspension in the new model. FWIW the Suzuki V-twin 996 with aftermarket pipes is one of the best-sounding bikes on the planet IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Yes, the OF does stick right out front, down low. I just like the look of a pretty full coverage aluminum skid plate I saw on ADVrider. It covers up the OF and the cooler.
    I used the Hyde Racing plastic one on my V-Strom. For good or bad, I've bashed the centerstand many times but never whacked the skip plate.

The bike is too heavy and really doesn't have the ground clearance to get serious, although people have taken them crazy places, like most bikes. I added a Fenda Extenda to keep stuff from the front wheel off the engine.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-04-13 at 09:39 AM.

Lifer

"I added a Fenda Extenda to keep stuff from the front wheel off the engine." - I will look into one of these ASAP. It sounds like a "must have" item.
    Thank You for the tip!

Congrats on the new Ride Greg! So when's the first dualsport ride in Pachaug State Forest?

KTM dirty next?

Yamaha

"I added a Fenda Extenda to keep stuff from the front wheel off the engine." - I will look into one of these ASAP. It sounds like a "must have" item.
    Thank You for the tip!
    This is what I have.

Beware that the skid plate makes it a PITA to do oil changes, so if you are just riding on paved and unpaved roads (which is what 95% of V-Strom owners do) the Fenda Extenda works very well.

Lifer

Thank You, Mark. yes, I will be buying a dirt bike next. The KTM 4 strokes seem to be the bike for me, but I am still looking around. I almost hate to buy my dirt bike new, because I beat them up so badly, so quickly. If I can find a very nice used one (an EXC), I will be looking very hard at it.
    I honestly want to keep the DL out of the dirt. We bought it to be used as a 2-up street bike. I would rather get a large tank for an EXC, and use that for my hard core (read - riding with you and Sean) dual sport machine. I am not even sure that I would want to follow Sean and Lia on their KLR's while on my DL! I would hate to even fall over in the rocks with it!

Lifer

In my opinion, the DL650 is way too much of a porker for any serious off-roading. I have experimented with a few unmaintained NH Class VI roads in the area and either turn back or wind up exhausted and surprised I made it in one piece. Maybe (okay, probably) I lack the skill. But I've always thought I had average or slightly above average lower body strength. So I doubt I'm alone feeling this way.

Its like I keep saying, I think it is a "middleweight half-naked sport-tourer", nothing more.

I saw someone on the interwebz once that did a home-made 'fenda extenda' that actually looked pretty good.

In the end, the little 650 should do what I need it to do, and I won't break the bank if it doesn't. I do not ride fast (on the street).
    I am now searching for the *perfect* hard core dual sport. The KTM 350EXC has few competitors. I am looking for something that is street legal, out of the box, light weight, and that has a 6 speed transmission. Right now, only the KTM's and the Beta's check all of those boxes. Husabergs big 570 is gone this year, and as the Husky thread indicates, their future is in question. I am flip flopping on displacement, now. Usually, I like small motors for the woods, as most of my riding is done on gnarly goat trails. The KDX 200 I recently sold was almost perfect, except for the seat that curved sharply upwards in the front., and the 2-stroke motor was not happy on pavement, when geared low enough for the tight woods. Maybe I can find an old Hercules 7 speed....
    Hey Greg, I'm totally loving your old KDX200 on the Ice. I dropped down from 15/47 to 14/47 gearing and get nice powerslides through the turns in 4th gear and pulls really strong through 5th gear down the straights. Other than being a bit thirsty and burning up the gas pretty quickly when wide-open on the ice, I think this bike is going to be a blast this Spring/Summer to ride through the woods of New England! I just need to get the bike inspected in CT and Registered so I can go riding right from my house. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    In my opinion, the DL650 is way too much of a porker for any serious off-roading. I have experimented with a few
    it is, as well as too heavy, also too long. I've been a lot further on my SV than I would take a strom

RandyO
    IBA#9560

My ZRX1200 sucks at hair scrambles.

My CR125 is miserable at highway riding.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Right. But Kawi doesn't market your ZRX for scrambles... nor Honda market your CR for highway use.

Suzuki does this:
    New Bike-strommarketing-jpg

Which I think is wrong.

Because they put it on the same page as their neutered dual sports?

Really?

I guess Honda intends to have you take the NC700X offroad then too, they call it an "adventure bike".

And the Kawasaki Versys is a "sport" bike since they put it under that Flash menu on their website.

SV wasn't meant to be a dual sport. Neither is the V-Strom. Randy just has an abnormal expectation of what bikes should be good at.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    SV wasn't meant to be a dual sport. Neither is the V-Strom. Randy just has an abnormal expectation of what bikes should be good at.
    I think we agree.

Really?
    Er.. maybe not.

Yes, really.

Check out murphs kits

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Congrats on the new bike!! Shoulda got a Triumph Tiger 800!
    Your Suzuki is a great bike and you saved lots of money!

Lifer

Thank You, Kenn. I never really considered the Triumph, once I decided to nix my sporting intentions. That, and I just do not have a dealer close by. As far as advertised intent, I guess that I am a fairly well informed buyer, and I have no pretenses towards what I want to use the bike for. I have been an avid dirt rider for years, and there is just no way that I would consider bikes like the DL, the NC-X, or the Versys "off road worthy" at all. They are, however, great for the hacked up New England back road pavement, and graded dirt roads, which we actually have very few of.
    I went in today, to finalize the paperwork, and to let my wife pick out a new helmet. The '12 DL650A does come with the mounting plate for the top box. They threw in a free helmet, so I let my wife pick one out for herself, then then she pressured me into getting a *matching* one! Sheesh. The things we do for love. At least it isn't pink. I wanted this old-school open face job, with natural leather details, and loud rising sun graphics, but she objected. Strongly. LOL.
    The dealership, Allpower in Granby MA, has been very nice to work with. No pressure, no gimmicks, no BS. I am very happy with them.

Lifer

There are actually a bunch of well graded dirt roads around here. And the 'strom is A BLAST on them!
    It also does nicely on the seasonal forest roads in the WMNF.

Randy just has an abnormal expectation of what bikes should be good at.
    my problem with the V-strom isn't what its good at or not good at . the suspensions are totally lacking out of the box. electrical system is weak for something that is marketed as an adventure bike, all the competition has double or more usable electricity

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast