Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New Bike

Lifer

Re: New Bike

I can totally understand Randy's gripes. When I was thinking about the purchase, I had several bikes in mind, and at some point, it all got very confusing. It would have been easy for me to say "Screw it" and just buy the biggest, baddest of them all (in this case, the Multistrada SG). Instead, I chose to list my needs and wants, and prioritize them. This was definitely not as easy as it sounds. In my case, auxiliary electrical power was not a concern, nor was "quality of suspension travel", although the KTM and the MS certainly had a leg up on the DL (no pun intended). I have done enough fork and shock mods to make my own head spin, and I am not nearly as picky on my street bikes, as I am on my dirt bikes.
    Things change, though, and a few years from now, I may identify the very same shortcomings that Randy does now. That is why I am interested in hearing from everybody, no matter how good, or bad. I appreciate *all* of the input and comments.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

As an aside, I don't know if Randy was aware of this, but the 2012 model's legs were "significantly firmed up", by all accounts. I don't know exactly what this means - stiffer spring rates? Firmer damping? - but all of the reviewers commented that it is much better than the previous model's. We shall see...

Lifer

What's the competition at this price point? The Versys. The Honda NC700x. What else?

Do we know electrical output specs for these offerings?

Lifer

This is (was) the problem. The DL650-A came in at $8,999 (non-A @ $7,499). The rational was, for me at least, that "for only X more...", and then everything gets turned upside down again. I was looking at $20k Multi's, $14K KTM 990 SM-T's, and even a left over Yamaha FJ1300 for $15k. All were "only X more...".
    And price was not my top consideration when I first started shopping, but as I shopped, it rose in importance. Well, not really, it just started making me ask myself what I really *wanted* the bike for - and then, suddenly, all of the others were just overkill. It turned out that what I really wanted was a short distance commuter that was capable of 4 hr jaunts, comfortably, with a passenger. Reliability and range were also important to us (I have owned bikes that got ~100 miles to a tank, and bikes that needed constant attention). Passenger comfort was the one thing that the DL has well over the others. My wife says so.

Lifer

I can completely relate to that. My story was similar... although inverted; I started at the bottom of the market and sweet talked myself up to a used DL650.

My point with my previous post was that comparing the DL650 to the big >$10k ADV bikes is kind of silly. Randy's point stands that he bought a bike that competes based on it's displacement class, not price-point. So I suppose my post is flawed. I should be asking what the price-point competitors to the DL1000 are.

...Now, are there any?

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    my problem with the V-strom isn't what its good at or not good at . the suspensions are totally lacking out of the box. electrical system is weak for something that is marketed as an adventure bike, all the competition has double or more usable electricity

Electrical output is clearly stated in the marketing literature. If that was a big concern to you, why did you end up with it anyways? I'm not trying to be snarky, but it seems that it wasn't going to suit your needs from day one, so why did you go with it vs something else?

I understand having gripes about bikes. Suspension on a low budget bike is not one of them for me, nor is a seat. Every bike I've ever owned I've needed to replace at least springs in, if not springs and valving front and back. And seat is completely personal and I always assume I'll need to change that as well.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

That is tough, seeing that I could have picked up a *Brand New* DL1000 - A for $9,250!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Electrical output is clearly stated in the marketing literature.
    yes, point me a link to that clearly stated literature

the only thing that is clear is 400watts and even that info was not from marketing literature but from the service manual, you would think that you have 100 more watts available than a 300watt SV650, but you don't, you have about the same (150w±) available

at the time I purchased my Vee in 2006, the Tenere, tiger, stelvio etc with 600w + charging systems were not yet on the market

who's complaining about the seat ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

yes, point me a link to that clearly stated literature

the only thing that is clear is 400watts and even that info was not from marketing literature but from the service manual, you would think that you have 100 more watts available than a 300watt SV650, but you don't, you have about the same (150w±) available

at the time I purchased my Vee in 2006, the Tenere, tiger, stelvio etc with 600w + charging systems were not yet on the market

I assumed it would be there, but you are right, it is not.

Luckily, a simple google search would of answered it for you on the first link.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...ge-dl1000.html

My point being, if it was such a big concern to you to have enough electrical power available, why wouldn't you find that out before you bought it?

I was saying you complained about the seat, but I sure did. That 650 seat blew.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I assumed it would be there, but you are right, it is not.

Luckily, a simple google search would of answered it for you on the first link.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...ge-dl1000.html

My point being, if it was such a big concern to you to have enough electrical power available, why wouldn't you find that out before you bought it?

I was saying you complained about the seat, but I sure did. That 650 seat blew.

your simple google search although old, (yes, If you read, I did observe and post in that thread) but not old enuf as I already owned my Vee for 6 months

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Even though I enjoy the banter, exposing some factual information that I did not pay particular attention to during my bike search, I do not want people to argue with one another about whether or not the bike is any good at all, or that somebody made a dumb choice, or not.
    I haven't even ridden the bike yet, - or even any V-Strom at all, for that matter - and that may be the dumbest move yet. But, I own it. It is mine. I *want* to like it.
    I am thankful that people pointed out that it does not have a lot of reserve electrical power. Perhaps that little bit of knowledge will prevent me from melting the wiring loom in the future.
    I am thankful that somebody told me that they found the suspension lacking. I will pay particularly close attention to it, and make improvements right away, if I feel the need to do so.
    I am thankful that people pointed out vendors (Murph's!) that cater to this bike, and I am already shopping for things like the fenda-extenda.
    I want to thank all of you who are here helping me, and I want to believe that we can agree to disagree on some things without dragging this thread into the mud.
    Right now, I just hope that I made the right decision. I hope that the bike suites the purposes I have planned. I hope that it is as comfortable as it is purported to be. For, if not, it will not be in my care for very long, and I will have flushed a few thousand dollars down the drain, as I trade it in on something else. The KTM SM-T still has my eye, but as of now, I refuse to look in that direction. It is, in fact, quite unfortunate that I will have to walk right past it in order to shop for a new KTM or Husaberg enduro bike. I hope it sells soon, so I don't have to see it any more - kind of like an old girlfriend, that you never had! I think that is called stalking... Oh well, we are all bike pervs here, and in the depths of winter, we get worse. Right now, me walking into a KTM dealership is like bringing a perv to the beach.
    Oh, ugly V-Strom, save my soul. I just got the plate... :-)

Lifer

Dude, yer gonna hate it!

Seriously.. I bet you won't. It is a very, very hard bike to hate.

Me.

Although I've replaced tons of other (more expensive) parts on the bike, yet the seat remains. Priorities I suppose.. or stupidity maybe.

I think G-man is onto something though. With you having a bike with a branzy new, factory fresh electrical harness and in relatively top running order.. I would consider now the prime time to trade. Or at least sell. YMMV, obviously.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhbubba; 02-05-13 at 05:12 PM.

The V-strom does have excellent forward headlamps waay better than the average for motorcycles

I think an adventure bike should have the ability to add a fog beam, and other aux lights for those adventure things you do ,it setting up a tent in the dark in a field

also as good as V-strom lights are, it doesn't hurt to have more in winter below freezing at night, that is about only time I think I would use heat and lights at same time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

This thread is exactly why I never tell anyone about a purchase I'm making until I have it in my possession. Otherwise this happens and then you start second guessing yourself before you have even taken ownership. It sorta drags down the anticipation of getting the bike.

Nice bike Greg, I'm sure you'll like it. People love those Wee's and I'm sure you'll be right there with them. Everyone tries to convince you that what they ride or want is the best bike out there (we all know the Tiger 800 is best! ). Truth is, you buy what you like. Do you plan on riding in the bitter cold with every piece of heated gear there is? If not, the electrical system will do just fine. Don't fear it, just look forward to nice weather so you can ride it and like it even more. Good luck with it!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Thank You, Mark. yes, I will be buying a dirt bike next. The KTM 4 strokes seem to be the bike for me, but I am still looking around. I almost hate to buy my dirt bike new, because I beat them up so badly, so quickly. If I can find a very nice used one (an EXC), I will be looking very hard at it.
    I honestly want to keep the DL out of the dirt. We bought it to be used as a 2-up street bike. I would rather get a large tank for an EXC, and use that for my hard core (read - riding with you and Sean) dual sport machine. I am not even sure that I would want to follow Sean and Lia on their KLR's while on my DL! I would hate to even fall over in the rocks with it!
    I hear ya on buying a dirtbike new just to trash it, but trust me, you get over that after the first ride and 12 crashes in that day...haha Also IMO, the savings on used KTM's isn't that great vs buying new. You're welcomed to try my 200 smoker anytime to see if that fits you as well.

I was joking about Pachaug, but I have seen similar bikes in there. Best of luck to them, I wouldn't be in there with anything more than an enduro bike

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I was joking about Pachaug, but I have seen similar bikes in there. Best of luck to them, I wouldn't be in there with anything more than an enduro bike

How about a motard?

Just a reminder of that epic ride haha

Lifer

Jeff, I do not feel dragged down at all. Like I said, I am thankful that people have pointed out their concerns. Part of my problem is that I have ridden relatively few street bikes. I have owned an EX500, an EX250, an old Interceptor 750, and a Triumph 885 T-Bird. I have owned a *lot* of dirt bikes, though. One thing that I do know, is that nothing makes a street bike more miserable than a bad seat. My DRZ, DR650, and the T-Bird drove that point home. Hard. Other things can be sorted relatively easily, but reupholstering a seat is not for the faint of heart. My wife is more picky than I am, if that is even possible. So, right now, that is my biggest concern with this bike. I hope to pick it up this weekend, but I will not be able to start racking up some miles for a few months yet. I also know that giving a bike the garage sitting test does not work. It takes actual ride time to figure out if a seat is ok or not. We can't wait to get started! I feel kind of stupid buying a bike at this time of year. I picked up the plate today, and the woman at the registry told me that I have 7 days to get it inspected. What?! I don't even know how I am going to get it home. With 12" of snow coming this weekend, I will have to put it in my truck, or maybe leave it at the dealership for a while more. Besides that, I would hate for the beautiful black bike to sustain a tank ding while in my garage, before I even get to ride it! Ho, Boy. This is gonna be fun.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I hear ya on buying a dirtbike new just to trash it, but trust me, you get over that after the first ride and 12 crashes in that day...haha Also IMO, the savings on used KTM's isn't that great vs buying new. You're welcomed to try my 200 smoker anytime to see if that fits you as well.

Your are right, Mark. I found 2 used 500 EXC's - both at $10K! They had some accessories, but still, they cost $10k NEW. I *love* your 200, and I may end up with one. I wanted a 4 stroke only because they handle pavement cruising better, and I was thinking that I would ride it to work once in a while. Street legality out of the box is another concern. I probably should have tried your 200 the last time we were at Sean's, but it was just so *pretty*! I could hear the motor on your bike, and it sounded so tight and smooth compared to my KDX. I imagine that it must be a superb woods motor.
    We will see,...I am still shopping, and that is the best part! Lately, it seems like all of my friends (except Sean and Leah!) have KTM's! Tony has a really nice 450, my brother has a 520, Pete has a 520, you have a 200,... What is a guy supposed to do?

There are so many seat options out there, whether it be a rework of the stocker or a new seat entirely that I wouldn't let that bother me at all. Like others have said, an uncomfortable is the norm for bikes now a days. Some people luck out and the stock seat just "happens" to work for them while others hate that same seat. Worry about that hurdle when you get to it. You could sit on it in the garage and slide off the seat like you're cornering for about 5 hours and see how it is. Ha ha!

Jeff

Lifer

so....

When the first trip to Twisted Throttle?

You've saved enough money on the Wee over a Multi to spring for a full custom Russel Day Long. I actually very much liked the stock DL1000 seat over the 650 seat, but oh man, once you go custom, you'll never go back.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    How about a motard?

Just a reminder of that epic ride haha
    Our bikes were enduro bikes with smoothie tires. I showed that picture of us on the "step up" trail to some guys on NEDB and they said we were nuts! Epic day for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Your are right, Mark. I found 2 used 500 EXC's - both at $10K! They had some accessories, but still, they cost $10k NEW. I *love* your 200, and I may end up with one. I wanted a 4 stroke only because they handle pavement cruising better, and I was thinking that I would ride it to work once in a while. Street legality out of the box is another concern. I probably should have tried your 200 the last time we were at Sean's, but it was just so *pretty*! I could hear the motor on your bike, and it sounded so tight and smooth compared to my KDX. I imagine that it must be a superb woods motor.
    We will see,...I am still shopping, and that is the best part! Lately, it seems like all of my friends (except Sean and Leah!) have KTM's! Tony has a really nice 450, my brother has a 520, Pete has a 520, you have a 200,... What is a guy supposed to do?
    It's good to know they hold their value at least, but my theory is if the price is within a couple grand of new, I buy new just for piece of mind. The 200 is OK at road speeds as far as the engine RPM goes, but as with most 2-strokes, it's buzzy at speed. 4-stroke will be much smoother when used on the roads. I don't know about the new ones, but mine didn't come with any lights at all, but all the wires were there, so it was just plug in. There's kits out there to make them street legal on the cheap side, and easy to install. The motor is unreal for the woods, lugs nice and low and really rips when you twist the throttle. Like I said, if you want to give it a try before you decide or buy something, let me know.
    Don't worry about it looking to pretty, it crashes very well...I test that every time I ride it...haha

Yamaha

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Way to go. I was just looking at the Suzuki deals, and if I didn't already own a KLR, ... .

Check out New England Riders site
    http://www.newenglandriders.org/Best...NewEngland.htm

And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

It will be perfect for the riding you described.

Put gas in the tank and ride the tires off it.

and do it with a smile...

Enjoy!

Lifer

As an FYI, I found it took me over 10k miles to ride the factory tires off mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast